Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

2011 Player Projections

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2011 Player Projections

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:32 pm

Who puts up better numbers as a pro Jason Kipnis or Lonnie Chisenhall? I know they play different positions so lets stick to batting avg., hrs, rbi.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:28 am

Who wins the 3b job? I'm guessing Jason Donald will produce decent offensive numbers and Jayson Nix ends up as a utility player... Which is bad for him, the longer he sits the further his ba avg. Seems to dip. I like donald as our future utility inf. Who brings solid D to the table. Donald doesn't have the power you'd like from a traditional 3b but will add improved D and solid inf. arm.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:22 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:Who puts up better numbers as a pro Jason Kipnis or Lonnie Chisenhall? I know they play different positions so lets stick to batting avg., hrs, rbi.

I'm going to say Kipnis. Kipnis will put up a better average than Chisenhall, IMO. I think Lonnie will need some time to develop his power in the ML, although I think Kipnis and Chisenhall will be near even there. RBI will depend on where they're at in the lineup. As of now, I'm going to say Chisenhall there.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:41 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:Who puts up better numbers as a pro Jason Kipnis or Lonnie Chisenhall? I know they play different positions so lets stick to batting avg., hrs, rbi.

in 2011, I do see Kipnis with having a better year. He already has some experience at AAA where Chisenhall doesn't. In the long run though I see Chiz having a better career though.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:50 pm

I honestly believe that both of these guys will be important cogs in the lineup and both will become All-Star caliber players (Kip- for his bat). My guess over the long haul Chisenhall will have the longer career and will add some pop to his bat as he matures through his mid- 20's. Kipnis adds a very good bat at 2b, but would be an avg. OF. I believe Kipnis hits for a better avg. and is more productive offensively, while Chisenhall seems like he will become a very good 3b with potential for growth in every area of his gm.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:24 pm

CHisenhall, like the swing better, think the ceiling is higher
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:09 pm

I'm really expecting a really good season from the tribes new "CC" Carlos Carrasco. I was recently reading an article that pretty much said the Tribes only hope in salvaging the Lee deal was Jason Knapp I completely disagree with the article Donald could be a very serviceable ut infielder, Marson is at least a valuable defensive backup catcher and Carlos Carrasco could and I believe he may be the best player in the deal but Knapp will have a lot to say about that. It's still very early to grade that trade with Knapp a vital piece of the trade.
I'm projecting carrasco as the breakthrough player for the tribe. I projected 12 wins and a 3.65 era but I'm going to upgrade that and say he wins 14-15 starts with a 3.65 era I really believe he could be the key component to the trade and the progression of the pitching staff. One guy can really push the others to perform, inexpect the new "CC" does that.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:11 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I'm really expecting a really good season from the tribes new "CC" Carlos Carrasco. I was recently reading an article that pretty much said the Tribes only hope in salvaging the Lee deal was Jason Knapp I completely disagree with the article Donald could be a very serviceable ut infielder, Marson is at least a valuable defensive backup catcher and Carlos Carrasco could and I believe he may be the best player in the deal but Knapp will have a lot to say about that. It's still very early to grade that trade with Knapp a vital piece of the trade.
I'm projecting carrasco as the breakthrough player for the tribe. I projected 12 wins and a 3.65 era earlier, but I'm going to upgrade that and say he wins 14-15 starts with a 3.65 era I really believe he could be the key component to the trade and the progression of the pitching staff. One guy can really push the others to perform, i expect the new "CC" does that.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:45 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I'm really expecting a really good season from the tribes new "CC" Carlos Carrasco. I was recently reading an article that pretty much said the Tribes only hope in salvaging the Lee deal was Jason Knapp I completely disagree with the article Donald could be a very serviceable ut infielder, Marson is at least a valuable defensive backup catcher and Carlos Carrasco could and I believe he may be the best player in the deal but Knapp will have a lot to say about that. It's still very early to grade that trade with Knapp a vital piece of the trade.
I'm projecting carrasco as the breakthrough player for the tribe. I projected 12 wins and a 3.65 era but I'm going to upgrade that and say he wins 14-15 starts with a 3.65 era I really believe he could be the key component to the trade and the progression of the pitching staff. One guy can really push the others to perform, inexpect the new "CC" does that.

I read that same thing. It did say "impact" guys....so saying you see Donald as a good utility infielder and Marson as a backup catcher shows you agree with them there.

I agree with you though on Carrasco, I think he still has a shot to be a high upside guy. Not a #1 but think he can be a Carmona like #2. 200 innings and a ERA around 3.5 or lower.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:08 pm

If Carmona and Carrasco can do that then this team could really take off behind them, few teams get that kind of production from their first cpl spots and the Tribe would benefit. Assuming a cpl of the others can pick up the slack with a few additions this team actually be a contender in a cpl yrs.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Chiefroy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:24 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:If Carmona and Carrasco can do that then this team could really take off behind them, few teams get that kind of production from their first cpl spots and the Tribe would benefit. Assuming a cpl of the others can pick up the slack with a few additions this team actually be a contender in a cpl yrs.

I think we're contenders THIS year. The starting pitching staffs in this division are not that imposing.
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:11 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:
I'm projecting carrasco as the breakthrough player for the tribe. I projected 12 wins and a 3.65 era earlier, but I'm going to upgrade that and say he wins 14-15 starts with a 3.65 era I really believe he could be the key component to the trade and the progression of the pitching staff. One guy can really push the others to perform, i expect the new "CC" does that.

Pretty interesting standard for Cliff Lee. The Indians trade has brought three ML players already. The Phillies trade four months later not only did not yield impact prospects, it yielded no ML players. Seattle got a ML grievance as I recall. Donald might wind up as a starting ML IF even if he is not an impact player. Marson is young enough to develop into more than a backup C. I am not sure what the definition of impact is in the writer's vernacular but if Carrasco is a legitimate #2, that is impact enough for my liking. Still not sure he makes it but he has a chance from what I see. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:19 am

...I'm projecting carrasco as the breakthrough player for the tribe. I projected 12 wins and a 3.65 era but I'm going to upgrade that and say he wins 14-15 starts with a 3.65 era I really believe he could be the key component to the trade and the progression of the pitching staff. One guy can really push the others to perform, inexpect the new "CC" does that...
Only 12 wins?.. or did you transpose the "2" and the "1"? Oh wait.. this isn't a Yankee site.. sorry..

The Carlos Carrasco projections and Yahoo Sports starting pitcher "break out" candidate articles aside, Carrasco needs to KEEP THE DAMN BALL IN THE FIELD OF PLAY.. Too many homers given up.. it's the thing that he really needs to improve at to have a chance at the mid 3's ERA and/or the number of wins 'projected'...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:50 pm

@ Geronimoson yahoo sports article? Did they do a piece on him? :s_dunno
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:31 am

..These neophyte hurlers are primed to elevate their games to the next level in 2011...Carlos Carrasco, SP, Indians: Cleveland's key return from the Phillies in the 2009 Cliff Lee trade, Carrasco proved that he's big league ready in last season's September callup, registering a 3.83 ERA and 38/14 K/BB ratio over seven starts. The 23-year-old was also extremely consistent, posting quality starts in six of those outings...
I think this was the note that I refered to.. but, not sure..CarCar's name was included on this list of about 8 other pitchers who were designated as potential break out candidates fro the 2011 season. What that means is anyone's guess....

I could say that CarCar is going to have a break out year but he might have times when he's going to have his struggles.. but then everyone would start calling me hermie again.....geez, I hate that... :yahoo:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:18 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:but then everyone would start calling me hermie again.....geez, I hate that... :yahoo:

ha, you hate that? Think how I feel being degraded like that. :s_tongue

Don't recall you being called Hermie.....remember you being called Dennis by a ton of people though. :drinks:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:11 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:but then everyone would start calling me hermie again.....geez, I hate that... :yahoo:
ha, you hate that? Think how I feel being degraded like that. :s_tongue Don't recall you being called Hermie.....remember you being called Dennis by a ton of people though. :drinks:
whoooooosh !...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Previous

Return to Indians Prospect Talk