Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

2011 Depth Chart

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

2011 Depth Chart

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:23 pm

Just posted today. Obviously this will be updated and changed a lot between now and opening day, but this is my initial outlook of how the Indians will assign players to start the 2011 season (note, this is how I think the Indians will do it, not exactly how I would do it):

http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/2 ... chart.html
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: 2011 Depth Chart

Postby TitoFrancona » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:04 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Just posted today. Obviously this will be updated and changed a lot between now and opening day, but this is my initial outlook of how the Indians will assign players to start the 2011 season (note, this is how I think the Indians will do it, not exactly how I would do it):

Either you absolutely dislike Phelps or you have no idea what to do with him. There's not a chance in hell he rides the pine in Columbus. Before they ever do that to him, they'll trade him. He has far more value as a trade asset than he does as a minor league UIF'er.
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect

Postby jellis » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:05 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:Just posted today. Obviously this will be updated and changed a lot between now and opening day, but this is my initial outlook of how the Indians will assign players to start the 2011 season (note, this is how I think the Indians will do it, not exactly how I would do it):

Either you absolutely dislike Phelps or you have no idea what to do with him. There's not a chance in hell he rides the pine in Columbus. Before they ever do that to him, they'll trade him. He has far more value as a trade asset than he does as a minor league UIF'er.

When was the last time a spec for spec trade happened, it never does. I think he is lsited as a bench guy, because they will mold him to be a util. He will play virtually every day just all over the place
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:29 pm

jellis wrote:
TitoFrancona wrote:

When was the last time a spec for spec trade happened, it never does. I think he is lsited as a bench guy, because they will mold him to be a util. He will play virtually every day just all over the place

Agreed. He'll be doing a bit of everything, IMO. When Chiz plays DH, Phelps will play third. If Kip needs a day off or plays DH for a day as well, Phelps will fill in.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:55 pm

I think you did a really good job on the list, Tony. Couple of questions I have. Do you think there is any chance that Washington starts in Kinston? I am also a little surprised that Clayton Cook was held back at LC in favor of Soto. Is that intimate knowledge of the situation or just a best guess? Personally, I think Goedert returns to Columbus to learn to play 1B and there really isn't any place for Jordan Brown other than DH in Columbus until there are some promotions. Tough times in Akron this year except for the pitching. :friends:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:41 pm

Couple of things:

I know you don't draft for need but 1B looks like a wasteland organizationally. Travis Harrison? Or are we gun shy about guys named Travis H.?

Is that Kinston rotation stacked with high end specs or what?

I know we're not going to hit on all of these guys but there's a lot of talent in the system.

Not worried about Phelps' placement on the depth chart because he's going to start the season at 3B for the big club. :biggrin:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Jake Taylor » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:01 pm

Holy cow, Lake County has actual hitting prospects!
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:06 pm

Rocky55 wrote:Couple of things:

I know you don't draft for need but 1B looks like a wasteland organizationally. Travis Harrison? Or are we gun shy about guys named Travis H.?

I know we're not going to hit on all of these guys but there's a lot of talent in the system.

Not worried about Phelps' placement on the depth chart because he's going to start the season at 3B for the big club. :biggrin:

Hey Rocky, if we were picking now Harrison would be my choice. And yes, I agree 1B is the big organizational wasteland. Other than the 3B convert Goedert, I have no one in top 40. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:30 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:Either you absolutely dislike Phelps or you have no idea what to do with him. There's not a chance in hell he rides the pine in Columbus. Before they ever do that to him, they'll trade him. He has far more value as a trade asset than he does as a minor league UIF'er.

He was listed as a bench guy only because he won't be the regular at 2B (Kipnis) or 3B (Chisenhall). I have since changed to list him as the DH because he is going to play everyday....just not at one position. Will split time between 3B/2B/DH and has an outside shot of making ML team too.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:34 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:I think you did a really good job on the list, Tony. Couple of questions I have. Do you think there is any chance that Washington starts in Kinston? I am also a little surprised that Clayton Cook was held back at LC in favor of Soto. Is that intimate knowledge of the situation or just a best guess? Personally, I think Goedert returns to Columbus to learn to play 1B and there really isn't any place for Jordan Brown other than DH in Columbus until there are some promotions. Tough times in Akron this year except for the pitching. :friends:

I think it is possible Washington could open in Kinston, but unlikely. They are developing him at CF, and with Holt in Kinston it would make no sense, especially when there is no CF in Lake COunty. Remember too, these are just the projected places they open. As we know, a few weeks into the season there is a lot of movement. So with that in mind I don't expect Washington to be in Lake COunty all year (if he performs/develops well).

Also, Soto is considered a higher priority prospect than Cook. Cook still has some things to work through and is extremely young, whereas, really, Soto does too but he dominated the Midwest League last year and needs challenged more than Cook does. I think injuries/performance won't keep Cook in Lake County long. Really he like a lot of starters/relievers are just a victim of some ridiculous pitching depth everywhere.

I think it is 50-50 on Goedertmaking big league team. They were happy with his first base play in winter ball, and if he continues to do well there in spring training and gets better in the outfield, he has a great chance to make the team....of which I am predicting.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:18 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:

Hey Rocky, if we were picking now Harrison would be my choice. And yes, I agree 1B is the big organizational wasteland. Other than the 3B convert Goedert, I have no one in top 40. :pleasantry:

Slinger, have you seen Harrison? I've seen video but that's it. Heard about the power but how's the bat speed? He looks physically mature. He's listed at 3B/OF but I was assuming he ends up at 1B. Do you agree?

Back on the depth chart, I was surprised to see Greenwell listed at DH. I thought he was a decent defensive OF. Should we assume that it will be a four man rotation with the OF/DH slots?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:44 pm

...I think it is 50-50 on Goedertmaking big league team. They were happy with his first base play in winter ball, and if he continues to do well there in spring training and gets better in the outfield, he has a great chance to make the team....of which I am predicting....
A non-middle infield utility guy... can play corner LF, 3B and 1B.. does this sound a lot like Casey Blake?. A replacement for Giminez or, even Shelly Duncan... Not a bad plan/path to bring someone up from the minors.. who knows, maybe whatever he was doing in the first half of 2010.. shows up again in 2011?
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:47 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:

Slinger, have you seen Harrison? I've seen video but that's it. Heard about the power but how's the bat speed? He looks physically mature. He's listed at 3B/OF but I was assuming he ends up at 1B. Do you agree?

Back on the depth chart, I was surprised to see Greenwell listed at DH. I thought he was a decent defensive OF. Should we assume that it will be a four man rotation with the OF/DH slots?

Yeah Rocky, I saw him at the AFLAC. I was not working the game but I was absolutely smitten with the bat speed and hitting mechanics. I cannot speak for his defense since nothing happened when he was at 3B but he looked athletic. That's a bullshit copout but probably accurate. Other than a right elbow that tends to fly when he swings hard (easily correctable IMO), Harrison projects as one of the best HS RH power hitters that I have seen for a while. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:18 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:

Yeah Rocky, I saw him at the AFLAC. I was not working the game but I was absolutely smitten with the bat speed and hitting mechanics. I cannot speak for his defense since nothing happened when he was at 3B but he looked athletic. That's a bullshit copout but probably accurate. Other than a right elbow that tends to fly when he swings hard (easily correctable IMO), Harrison projects as one of the best HS RH power hitters that I have seen for a while. :pleasantry:

Sounds good, sign me up. He sure would fill a need. :drinks:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:19 am

Rocky55 wrote:Back on the depth chart, I was surprised to see Greenwell listed at DH. I thought he was a decent defensive OF. Should we assume that it will be a four man rotation with the OF/DH slots?

Yeah, 4-man rotation of Greenwell-Holt-Abreu-Cid with whoever is not in the OF starting as the DH. I listed him as the DH only to show he is a starter rather than put him on the bench (hard to give context to the listings).
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:08 pm

I would assume Wolters not being listed would mean he starts in AZ and then moves to MV?
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:01 pm

jellis wrote:When was the last time a spec for spec trade happened, it never does. I think he is lsited as a bench guy, because they will mold him to be a util. He will play virtually every day just all over the place

Well actually one happened last year when Michael Taylor was dealt for Brett Wallace. But agree, it rarely happens.

Agree on Phelps as many of said. Should still see a lot of playing time just at various positions.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:26 pm

A.Zajac wrote:I would assume Wolters not being listed would mean he starts in AZ and then moves to MV?

That was my initial thought, but after talking to a person with knowledge yesterday I changed it and have him at SS to start the season in Lake County. I think we'll see a three-man platoon between SS/2B at Lake County between Bartolon, Wolters and someone else (likely Cannon or Fontanez) with Wolters-Bartolone obviously getting the lion's share of time. Would be an ideal to break them in playing 4-5 times a week and not overwhelm them in their first full season....plus gets the high bonus guys at full season ball right away. I just felt with Wolters still being 18 when the season started that they may be conservative with him, but it doesn't appear that will be the case. We'll see.

Also, Lavisky (who amazingly turns 20 in January) will be at Lake County but also in a platoon situation, likely with Alex Monsalve. THey liked the platoon with Chen-Perez last year at Lake County and appears they will go that route again.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby nolanryan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:48 pm

any reason why RHP brett brach is not listed on the depth chart?
nolanryan
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:53 pm

nolanryan wrote:any reason why RHP brett brach is not listed on the depth chart?

An error as I originally had him in the starting rotation and forgot to slide him to the pen when I realized the rotation there would be filled with a lot of other higher priority starting prospects. Probably fills a swing role in 2011 at Kinston.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Return to Indians Prospect Talk