RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Offseason Expectations

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: Offseason Expectations

Postby petes999 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:00 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:The day the Brewers acq. Grienke the Tribe also makes a pitching move according to mlbtraderumors.com... signing Toru Murata to a minor league deal, Murata from the Yomiuri Giants. He is 25 a 6' 175 lb rhp and former first rd pk who never made it to the Npb. He was on the Arizona Fall leagues rising stars gm a yr ago. Murata featues a slider, curve, cutter, fork, change and a 92mph fastball. Murata finished 0-4 in 6 gms with one complete gm in 2010. Murata in 29.2 ip surrendered 34 hits, 22 k's and 10 walks.

Hopefully the Tribe has found a diamond in the rough and he is more than just a arm for the Clippers / Aeros bullpen.

A quote from yakyubaka.com "In his three years with the Giants, Murata did not see any playing time at Ichi-gun. He was released by the Giants on 12/2."

Great ... we are relegated to pick up Japanese cast-offs now..... Also, the 92 mph is his top speed ... so he may be sitting 87-89. We got a long way to go as Royals now have the best farm system Goldstein has ever seen. Hopefully, it doesn't translate to performance as by the time we get into contention in 2012, we will only have Sizemore for one year and Choo for 2 years. We could have a short window between Minnesota (now) and Royals (3-4 years from now) contention years.
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby Edible14 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:43 am

petes999 wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:The day the Brewers acq. Grienke the Tribe also makes a pitching move according to mlbtraderumors.com... signing Toru Murata to a minor league deal, Murata from the Yomiuri Giants. He is 25 a 6' 175 lb rhp and former first rd pk who never made it to the Npb. He was on the Arizona Fall leagues rising stars gm a yr ago. Murata featues a slider, curve, cutter, fork, change and a 92mph fastball. Murata finished 0-4 in 6 gms with one complete gm in 2010. Murata in 29.2 ip surrendered 34 hits, 22 k's and 10 walks.

Hopefully the Tribe has found a diamond in the rough and he is more than just a arm for the Clippers / Aeros bullpen.

A quote from yakyubaka.com "In his three years with the Giants, Murata did not see any playing time at Ichi-gun. He was released by the Giants on 12/2."

Great ... we are relegated to pick up Japanese cast-offs now..... Also, the 92 mph is his top speed ... so he may be sitting 87-89.

I'm curious if there's a story behind this one. Was there a scout ranting about his stuff? Is this basically a tryout deal?
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:09 am

Edible14 wrote:
petes999 wrote:

Great ... we are relegated to pick up Japanese cast-offs now..... Also, the 92 mph is his top speed ... so he may be sitting 87-89.

I'm curious if there's a story behind this one. Was there a scout ranting about his stuff? Is this basically a tryout deal?

Sounds like a filler arm, but who knows, has a long way to go by the looks of it.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:32 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:Cannot take credit for this one. Comes from my brother who is looking over the serious reject pile and came up with Pedro Feliz. I thnk there might have been some conversation about him earlier but he has to be pretty desperate about now. Pretty well past it as a hitter, I would say. Might be better defensively than what we have now. Might be worth a minor league contract with an invite.

Any thoughts? :dunno:

I've thought about Feliz as a minor league free agent as well. His defense is slightly better than anything we have at 3B though it's fallen off a cliff the last few years. Not sure the slight upgrade is worth it. Personally I'd say sure why not sign him like Everett. He's a guy you don't even keep at AAA so could let him go halfway through the spring no harm no foul.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:47 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:Cannot take credit for this one. Comes from my brother who is looking over the serious reject pile and came up with Pedro Feliz. I thnk there might have been some conversation about him earlier but he has to be pretty desperate about now. Pretty well past it as a hitter, I would say. Might be better defensively than what we have now. Might be worth a minor league contract with an invite.

Any thoughts? :dunno:

I've thought about Feliz as a minor league free agent as well. His defense is slightly better than anything we have at 3B though it's fallen off a cliff the last few years. Not sure the slight upgrade is worth it. Personally I'd say sure why not sign him like Everett. He's a guy you don't even keep at AAA so could let him go halfway through the spring no harm no foul.

Sure couldn't prove it by me, Hermie. I know his reputation from a few years ago as a defensive stalwart but, as you pointed out, he is no longer young. I have not followed Feliz or even bothered to look at tape since my brother called me all excited about this opportunity for a short term defensive fix at 3B. As you said, no point in stashing Feliz at Columbus. Unless he is worth a few months on the ML roster, then I would probably pass as well. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:53 pm

Does the Kearns signing potentially lead to Crowe being released or traded away cheap if Sizemore comes in healthy?

The Kearns signing is no surprise, Travis Buck could be an interesting add. if he can get healthy again. I'm not sure why the Tribe took a flier on Murata but must have saw something to evevn consider bringing him in.

The Tribe has to get lucky (EVENTUALLY) with some of the players they get off the scrap pile, it seems like every team has that player who came out of no where or is struggling to get back to form that performs well for them.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:18 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:Does the Kearns signing potentially lead to Crowe being released or traded away cheap if Sizemore comes in healthy?

Crowe is not being DFAed, but it would not surprise me to see them trade him this spring.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby danh8 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:42 am

TonyIPI wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:Does the Kearns signing potentially lead to Crowe being released or traded away cheap if Sizemore comes in healthy?

Crowe is not being DFAed, but it would not surprise me to see them trade him this spring.

I know for a fact the Pirates like him as like a 4th outfielder type roster guy.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:38 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:Sure couldn't prove it by me, Hermie. I know his reputation from a few years ago as a defensive stalwart but, as you pointed out, he is no longer young. I have not followed Feliz or even bothered to look at tape since my brother called me all excited about this opportunity for a short term defensive fix at 3B. As you said, no point in stashing Feliz at Columbus. Unless he is worth a few months on the ML roster, then I would probably pass as well. :pleasantry:

To clarify, Feliz is below average defenisvely at 3B now.....but I'd personally still call that an upgrade on Nix/Goedert there (defenisvely at least). Feliz also wasn't horrible in 2008 and 2009 at 3B defensively.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby toledobuck » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Why not take a flyer on 3B FA Hank Blalock? He is only one season removed from hitting 25 HR's and being a respectable 3B.
toledobuck
Rookie Baller

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:03 pm

toledobuck wrote:Why not take a flyer on 3B FA Hank Blalock? He is only one season removed from hitting 25 HR's and being a respectable 3B.

Personnally, I think Blalock is more than one season removed from being "a respectable 3B". His range looks like a statue to me but others may have more favorable opinions. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:06 pm

I'd agree Blalock would be better served as a 1st basemen/dh. My personal strategy would be to sign several guys like Blalock or Feliz and Punto some for minor league depth, and pick the best among them.

Has the Tribe cooled on Punto? Curious to see if he's still an option at this point or if he's talking with a cpl other clubs.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:35 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:Has the Tribe cooled on Punto? Curious to see if he's still an option at this point or if he's talking with a cpl other clubs.

They are still talking to him.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:06 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I'd agree Blalock would be better served as a 1st basemen/dh. My personal strategy would be to sign several guys like Blalock or Feliz and Punto some for minor league depth, and pick the best among them.

Has the Tribe cooled on Punto? Curious to see if he's still an option at this point or if he's talking with a cpl other clubs.

I don't see Punto signing anywhere to be "minor league depth", let alone in Cleveland. Hell, he could start for the Twins right now at SS or 2B now that Hardy and Hudson are gone. My guess is this is a big reason he isn't signing anywhere yet.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:10 pm

Didn't mean to sign punto for minor league I meant bench depth as a utility guy my bad. The others could be brought in as minor league depth.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:47 pm

I'm sure Punto will get a major league job as a utility man somewhere, but if Minnesota had any thoughts of bringing him back in a starting role, he'd already be under contract. They've signed Tsuyoshi Nishioka to start at one of the middle infield positions (likely to be determined in spring training), and have chosen to keep Alexi Casilla over Punto as the starter at the other position. They're looking at possibly upgrading one of those spots yet and making Casilla the utility man, but either way Punto was obviously never in their plans this off-season.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:36 pm

Wasn't sure if this should go in the offseason "happenings" or "expectations" thread...but I'm just wondering WTF is the deal with Red Sox fans?

Lately I keep seeing "Boston wants Justin Masterson back while Cleveland wont budge" on certain sites more and more and the Period Sox folk in the comments sections keep saying "once this deal gets gone" and "shouldn't take much to get him back since he's being viewed as a reliever by Boston" etc.

I recall back around the trade deadline a story came out saying Boston tried to reacquire him, but failed...wonder why they seem to be pushing so hard to get him back.

Must be so nice to be so arrogant over there. :s_mad
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:45 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:Wasn't sure if this should go in the offseason "happenings" or "expectations" thread...but I'm just wondering WTF is the deal with Red Sox fans?

Lately I keep seeing "Boston wants Justin Masterson back while Cleveland wont budge" on certain sites more and more and the Period Sox folk in the comments sections keep saying "once this deal gets gone" and "shouldn't take much to get him back since he's being viewed as a reliever by Boston" etc.

I recall back around the trade deadline a story came out saying Boston tried to reacquire him, but failed...wonder why they seem to be pushing so hard to get him back.

Must be so nice to be so arrogant over there. :s_mad

I've read a few reports myself about BoSox wanting Masterson back for their 'pen. I'd listen and see what they'd give for Masterson. Not saying I'd pull the trigger, but definitely would entertain the offers.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:18 am

After paying a huge ransom for Carl Crawford and emasculating their farm system for Adrian Gonzalez, the Red Sox have put together several pieces for their bullpen in the last few weeks. With the pending "More Money than Brains" contract demands of their closer, Papelbon, the Red Sox have to consider all options. It's not a surprise that they'd turn to someone they have a history with.. The Indians view Justin Masterson as a starter. His second half growth in 2010 says the Indians may be right about that & Masterson has stated that he wants to continue being a starter.. This "noise" has the smell of arrogance from beantown...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:38 am

GeronimoSon wrote:After paying a huge ransom for Carl Crawford and emasculating their farm system for Adrian Gonzalez, the Red Sox have put together several pieces for their bullpen in the last few weeks. With the pending "More Money than Brains" contract demands of their closer, Papelbon, the Red Sox have to consider all options. It's not a surprise that they'd turn to someone they have a history with.. The Indians view Justin Masterson as a starter. His second half growth in 2010 says the Indians may be right about that & Masterson has stated that he wants to continue being a starter.. This "noise" has the smell of arrogance from beantown...

I think you have some real good points GS. Just out of curiosity, do you or anyone think that Boston has a prospect worth trading for other than Iglesias? He won't buy Masterson IMO and nothing else left in Boston's system is any better than Cleveland from what I see. :good:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:25 am

Hoynes tweeting that the Indians outrighted Justin Germano
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:35 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:Hoynes tweeting that the Indians outrighted Justin Germano

I suppose a moment of silence for the departure is in order but I have some interesting news from NYC. While most posters on this site, including me, believe no trade for Carmona is imminent, the same cannot be said for Yankee fans and NY sports talk radio. Met with some of my cronies (all Yankee fanatics but not obnoxious) and they tell me the brief comments I heard on radio were just the tip of the iceberg. According to them, the Yankees have not recovered from Cliff Lee but they have turned their eyes to Carmona. The Yankees purportedly view Carmona as an innings eater who would fit nicely in the middle of their starting rotation. They believe, to a man, that the Yankees will make Cleveland an offer they cannot refuse because the favorable nature of Carmona's contract might well cut this year's $18M luxury tax payment considerably. Never thought I would hear about the Yankees worried about spending.

The names they bandied about was the real surprise. Montero is their centerpiece but two other names might give our site some cause for thought. The first was Nunez the SS who is viewed as Jeter's eventual replacement and is now playing UT in NY. I have a difficult time believing the Yankees would give him up if his defense is always as good as the few times I have seen him play but who knows. It is the other name that blows me away. I know he is no bigger than Espino but Banuelos looks real good to me. Just possible he might have a higher ceiling than Carmona. Well, that's it from your catsitting NY on the spot reporter. :s_wink
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:45 pm

Interesting trade rumor.. something that should be looked at much more closely... Man-Ban and Jesus Montero are both considered excellent prospects. Eduardo Nunez, isn't. Perhaps flipping out Nunez for someone else, would make more sense... we'll see.. NYY rumors about the acquisition of players are mostly hype, anyway..

Here are some 'scouting reports' for Montero and Man-Ban:

Manny Banuelos: (AOL Fanhouse) The pitching depth in the Yankees' farm system is as good as it has been in many years, and leading the way is 19-year-old southpaw Manny Banuelos. After missing a big chunk of the season due to an appendectomy, the Mexico native has been lights-out with High-A Tampa since his return.

Most intriguing about Banuelos are the huge steps forward he has clearly made this season. His velocity has spiked, his breaking ball is sharper, and now looks more like a front of the rotation starter than the solid-pitchability southpaw I scouted and was still highly impressed with in Charleston last season. Here is what I saw from Banuelos in his most recent outing:

Physical Description

Banuelos has a smallish frame, but has added some significant bulk and strength since I scouted him last season. Listed at 5-foot-10, he now has a solid frame with a thick lower half. He moves well around the mound and shows decent athleticism. And another good indicator of athleticism for young hurlers like him is the ability to repeat his delivery, and Banuelos does that exceptionally well.

At this stage, Banuelos is about where he should be long-term from a physical standpoint. Given the stocky nature of his build, he'll have to be careful about keeping his athleticism and body in check.

Mechanics

The owner of well-above-average command, Banuelos can credit that to his very consistent delivery. Working from a high-three-quarters arm angle, he gets excellent extension out in front and creates a nice downward angle despite his lack of height. Occasionally he'll run into the common problem of working underneath his pitches, however, and his typically sharp offerings flatten out up in the zone. It's a rut he will get into now and then, but at his age it's far from a serious issue.

Fastball

This is where Banuelos' game has changed the most since the 2009 season. Last season, I had him sitting 90-92 with the fastball, touching 93. In his most recent outing, he sat 93-94 mph, never dipping below 92, and routinely hit 95-96 mph. Banuelos even touched 97 on a couple occasions. At that level of velocity, he has a true plus fastball, particularly for a left-hander.

He showed good life down in the zone with his fastball, and had only one of his fastballs turned on with any authority all night. In other words, the velocity was playing well and continued to produce late swings and swings and misses. Considering his age, Banuelos showed well-above-average fastball command, but will have to work on his feel for the inside part of the plate against righty hitters. He got somewhat predictable, working on the outer third and allowing hitters to dive out over the plate. And, in general, although you have to love his outstanding aggressiveness and strike-throwing nature, he proved to be a bit reckless with his location in the zone at times.

Curveball

The curveball is another significant difference in the 2010 version of Manny Banuelos. When he stayed on top, his downer curveball was a consistent plus, 6 pitch on the 2-8 scouting scale. Working at 75-79 mph, he was able to back-foot it to right-handed hitters with tight, late spin. He was also able to backdoor it and consistently nip the outside corner.

The key for Banuelos' curveball is getting extension. Occasionally, at least in this particular outing, he cut his arm action off a bit early and the breaking ball got a little round. But when he's right and getting it down in the zone, it's a true swing-and-miss, above-average pitch.

Changeup

The changeup has long been Banuelos' best pitch, and that continues to be the case despite the advances of his other pitches. He throws it at 78-82 mph with big two-seam action and dead-fish drop. When he's spotting it down and away it's clearly his most dominant offering. A couple times in this outing, he lapsed into pushing the changeup and left it up in the zone, but for the most part he was precise with his location. The left-hander looked extra confident with his change, doubling up at times and going to it in hitters' counts. It's this pitch that really sets him apart and will allow him to move quickly.

Summation

Look around the big leagues and find the left-handed starting pitchers that average 93 mph or better with their fastball. It's a very short list. Throw in the fact that Banuelos is a consistent strike-throwing machine with two above-average secondary pitches and you have a very rare commodity.

If you're looking for any negatives with Banuelos, it's his lack of size. But given the ease of his delivery, plus stuff and greatly advanced pitching aptitude, this is a particular talent that goes against the stereotype. If he can remain healthy and keep his shorter frame in check, he is a true front-of-the-rotation type pitcher

Jesus Montero:(MLB.COM) Statistically speaking: When challenged with a bump up to Double-A at age 19, Montero didn't really skip a beat. After hitting .356/.406/.583 in the Class A Advanced Florida State League, he kept raking at a .317/.370/.539 rate over 44 Double-A games. His ISO (extra bases per plate appearance) stayed almost identical, .228 to .222, and his line drive percentage actually increased (19.7 up from 17.9).
Scouting report: It would be difficult to find someone with anything critical to say about Montero's bat. He's going to hit for plenty of average and he's got perhaps as much raw power as anyone in the Minors; he's just starting to tap into it. He's got great pitch recognition and bat control. The question with Montero has always been about his defense. He's big for a catcher and isn't all that agile. That being said, he's worked very hard on his craft behind the plate and showed improvement, particularly in throwing out runners, over the course of last season.

Upside potential: No matter what position he plays, his bat will be special and has All-Star potential. Obviously, if he can catch, his value goes up exponentially, but the Yankees will find a spot for the bat one way or the other, soon.

They said it: "He's a very advanced bat with power. He has improved greatly as a defender. He's got above-average arm strength and threw out a higher percentage of basestealers at Double-A than he did in A-ball." -- Mark Newman, Yankees senior vice president of baseball operations
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:40 pm

Carmona is not being traded this offseason. That is, unless the Yankees send us Phil Hughes and maybe more.

Sure, the Yankees fans and team are very interested in Carmona. But don't mistake their need for him for the Indians wanting to deal him. Because the Indians have absolutely no interest in trading him unless they get a king's ransom for him. They'll listen to any offer on any player, but it doesn't mean they want to trade a guy.

The rumor is only fabrication by the team and fans in New York.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Edible14 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:10 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Carmona is not being traded this offseason. That is, unless the Yankees send us Phil Hughes and maybe more.

Sure, the Yankees fans and team are very interested in Carmona. But don't mistake their need for him for the Indians wanting to deal him. Because the Indians have absolutely no interest in trading him unless they get a king's ransom for him. They'll listen to any offer on any player, but it doesn't mean they want to trade a guy.

From what I gather, having posted/read many a sports blog... New York fans do this stuff all the time. I remember that when the Lee/Martinez trades were still rumors, a few NYY fans were talking about how all the Yankees would have to do is take on the contracts of those guys for the Indians, and wouldn't need to offer hardly anything else, since the salary relief would be compensation enough. Another variation of this was that all the Yanks had to do was take on Hafner in addition to Lee/Martinez... and done deal.
Last edited by Edible14 on Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:46 pm

Not sure why everyone can get so upset that we failed to sign Miller, but where are these same people giving props for signing Buck. Buck has a similar pedigree with the same lack of MLB production, every one who complained about Miller should be happy about this.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:01 pm

jellis wrote:Not sure why everyone can get so upset that we failed to sign Miller, but where are these same people giving props for signing Buck. Buck has a similar pedigree with the same lack of MLB production, every one who complained about Miller should be happy about this.

1. I liked A.Miller as a possible signing because he did present a low cost with a possible high reward (because of his potential).

2. I do not rate the 2 as even because traditionally tall lefties take time to develop. Which I thought posed a good risk for signing A.Miller.

3. I do like the Buck signing as he can play RF where after Choo there isn't a lot of our players/prospects that project in RF (I think we have a lot of LF and/or CF prospects but few real RF guys.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:14 pm

daingean wrote:
jellis wrote:Not sure why everyone can get so upset that we failed to sign Miller, but where are these same people giving props for signing Buck. Buck has a similar pedigree with the same lack of MLB production, every one who complained about Miller should be happy about this.

1. I liked A.Miller as a possible signing because he did present a low cost with a possible high reward (because of his potential).

2. I do not rate the 2 as even because traditionally tall lefties take time to develop. Which I thought posed a good risk for signing A.Miller.

3. I do like the Buck signing as he can play RF where after Choo there isn't a lot of our players/prospects that project in RF (I think we have a lot of LF and/or CF prospects but few real RF guys.

1. Buck is the same, was a top 50 spec, high draft pick with good power potenital

2. He has had injury issues hold him back as well

I think it is a very similar move
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:40 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Carmona is not being traded this offseason. That is, unless the Yankees send us Phil Hughes and maybe more.

Jesus Montero and Manuel Banuelos..is pretty much a king's ransom... the throw in, imho, Eduardo Nunez, is a middle infield prospect that may be a util guy.. or whatever..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:05 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:

Jesus Montero and Manuel Banuelos..is pretty much a king's ransom... the throw in, imho, Eduardo Nunez, is a middle infield prospect that may be a util guy.. or whatever..

I agree, if you get those 2 that is the beginnings of a stronger package than Lee or Grienke got. Now is the time to trade, teams are desperate wont get a better value then right now.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:56 pm

Although it is intriguing to talk about what Carmona could be potentially worth, it could also set the Tribe back a yr or two in personnel development unless the minor leaguers step up or the players recieved are major league ready.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:56 pm

I'm not sure what to make of the tribe scouting Colon, it would be interesting to see if he's still got a yr left in his arm and if he can be a starter once again. It's not as if injuries derailed him but a factor of age and conditioning.

With the pirates recent trade for speedy Corey Wimberly as a utility player does it increase the chances that jrod could return?
I'd gladly bring him back if I could but Huntington may swing a trade if he doesn't make their club from spring.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:26 am

Other than Chase D'Arnaud & Jarek Cunningham, the Pirates farm system is pretty much a wasteland for projectable middle infielders... It still looks like the Pirates are going to keep JRod, but your suggestion of a trade to allow the Pirates to send him to the minors..makes waaaaaaay too much sense....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Edible14 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:40 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I'm not sure what to make of the tribe scouting Colon, it would be interesting to see if he's still got a yr left in his arm and if he can be a starter once again. It's not as if injuries derailed him but a factor of age and conditioning.

With the pirates recent trade for speedy Corey Wimberly as a utility player does it increase the chances that jrod could return?
I'd gladly bring him back if I could but Huntington may swing a trade if he doesn't make their club from spring.

If Danh8 is correct, and the Pirates like Crowe as a 4th OF, I'm curious as to what the Indians can get for JRod's full rights and Crowe.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Edible14 wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:I'm not sure what to make of the tribe scouting Colon, it would be interesting to see if he's still got a yr left in his arm and if he can be a starter once again. It's not as if injuries derailed him but a factor of age and conditioning.

If Danh8 is correct, and the Pirates like Crowe as a 4th OF, I'm curious as to what the Indians can get for JRod's full rights and Crowe.

If the Indians add Crowe to the "haul" (along with J-Rod) a projectable player like Trent Stevenson RHSP or even Chase D'Arnaud could be coming back.. Seems doubtful...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby InsaneJedi » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:54 am

Has there been any word yet on whether or not Germano will accept assignment? Is there some sort of date by which he has to make his decision?

I would think that, even if he refuses assignment, the Tribe may still have a shot at signing him to an NRI deal. I personally liked Germano last year for what he was; he performed well with the big-league club, and the Tribe likes to have a "scapegoat" veteran arm to throw out in blowout situations. Although, I suppose Lewis or even Laffey could fill that role this year.
InsaneJedi
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:59 am

indianinkslinger wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:After paying a huge ransom for Carl Crawford and emasculating their farm system for Adrian Gonzalez, the Red Sox have put together several pieces for their bullpen in the last few weeks. With the pending "More Money than Brains" contract demands of their closer, Papelbon, the Red Sox have to consider all options. It's not a surprise that they'd turn to someone they have a history with.. The Indians view Justin Masterson as a starter. His second half growth in 2010 says the Indians may be right about that & Masterson has stated that he wants to continue being a starter.. This "noise" has the smell of arrogance from beantown...

I think you have some real good points GS. Just out of curiosity, do you or anyone think that Boston has a prospect worth trading for other than Iglesias? He won't buy Masterson IMO and nothing else left in Boston's system is any better than Cleveland from what I see. :good:

Sorry for taking so long to respond to this... There are three guys in the Red Sox system that seem interesting, and none of them are named Iglesias. Iglesias, imho, won't ever be more than a utility middle infielder/all glove/no bat player. Power pitchers will be knocking the bat out of Iglesias' hands for years to come... The guys in the Sox system that are "interesting include:
1. Felix Doubront: at the very least, he's a Loogy..at most he's a MOR-BOR.
2. Drake Britton: a projectable LHSP.. sort of "Jon Lester-lite". He's pretty young, so his potential has yet to be realized
3. Brandon Workman: a projectable RHSP.. Is a lot like Masterson but throws from a more conventional arm angle. also, very young.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:17 am

GeronimoSon wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:

Sorry for taking so long to respond to this... There are three guys in the Red Sox system that seem interesting, and none of them are named Iglesias. Iglesias, imho, won't ever be more than a utility middle infielder/all glove/no bat player. Power pitchers will be knocking the bat out of Iglesias' hands for years to come... The guys in the Sox system that are "interesting include:
1. Felix Doubront: at the very least, he's a Loogy..at most he's a MOR-BOR.
2. Drake Britton: a projectable LHSP.. sort of "Jon Lester-lite". He's pretty young, so his potential has yet to be realized
3. Brandon Workman: a projectable RHSP.. Is a lot like Masterson but throws from a more conventional arm angle. also, very young.

You could be right about Iglesias but he can really pick it. Just cannot see the Tribe trading Masterson for more of the same prospects we have in house. We need bats, especially at AA IMO. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:46 pm

I know it isn't likely, but I really like Chris Capuano and the Brewers are cutting ties with him. I'd like him in a Tribe uniform more than a reunion with Millwood or Colon.

No real reason for bringing this up, just was looking at the story that he wants to be a starter and the Brewers dont see a fit for him.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:20 pm

Didn't Chris Capuano have 2 TJ surgeries? If that's the case a guy with some health concerns could actually be in the picture for the tribe on a minor league deal.
Last edited by homerawayfromhome on Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:43 pm

As the winter leagues have come to a close for the Indians.. it appears a handful of players distinguished themselves rather nicely:

Batters; Cord Phelps..just killed the ball.. killed it early.. killed it in the middle and killed it as the AFL season finished. His defense at 3rd base started off a bit shakey.. then he really began to put it together.. He's a gamer...

Jason Kipnis.. pretty much the same drill for Kipnis save for a poor start.. He stayed at 2B for the duration.. also an excellent AFL

Matt McBride Showed power, batting average, plate discipline and all around ability. He played a lot and played himself back into the conversation.. at the very least..you have to believe that he accomplished a lot..

Jason Nix and Luis Valbuena.. both had poor showings.. while it might be argued that Nix's HBP and subsequent recovery may have been a factor, there is no such factor for Valbuena.. He sucked at the start.. had a little hot streak..then sucked at the end.. If he's on the Clippers roster to open the 2011 season..that would be a good thing..

Pitching: Josh Judy.. wow.. what an start to his 2011 season.. he has been consistent.. and just flat out nasty good..

Giovanni Soto.. another fine performance.. he appears to be coming on.. we'll see if he can make the Indians decision to send him to the minors around the final cut down a much more difficult decision.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:56 pm

I know Jayson Nix showed good pop last yr but he was a waiver wire pickup for a reason. Claiming him was a similar move to signing someone like Josh Fields. Both can play ML baseball but neither are ML players.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:42 am

In today's column, Tony tossed out the idea that Marson opens 2011 in Cbus (to get regular playing time) and 1 of Carlin/ Phillips serve as the big league backup.

Assuming neither guy has an out-clause in his contract, I would suggest that the better handler of pitchers should be in Cbus and not backing up in Cleveland.

In Cleveland, the pitchers already have 2 coaches in Belcher and Radinsky, a former catcher in Alomar Jr and the catchers.

In Columbus, the pitchers have Ruben Niebla (Sorry but he isn't Charles Nagy- former big leaguer, experienced AAA pitching coach now with a chance in the majors) and Marson. I think the pitcher development in Cbus is more important than being a backup in Cleveland.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby osueddy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:30 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:In today's column, Tony tossed out the idea that Marson opens 2011 in Cbus (to get regular playing time) and 1 of Carlin/ Phillips serve as the big league backup.

Assuming neither guy has an out-clause in his contract, I would suggest that the better handler of pitchers should be in Cbus and not backing up in Cleveland.

In Cleveland, the pitchers already have 2 coaches in Belcher and Radinsky, a former catcher in Alomar Jr and the catchers.

In Columbus, the pitchers have Ruben Niebla (Sorry but he isn't Charles Nagy- former big leaguer, experienced AAA pitching coach now with a chance in the majors) and Marson. I think the pitcher development in Cbus is more important than being a backup in Cleveland.

That's good logic.

They'll have to weigh that with the development of Marson. He really won't get many reps in Cleveland, though I don't know if I'm that worried about that.
osueddy
Draft Prospect

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:26 pm

osueddy wrote:
MadThinker88 wrote:In today's column, Tony tossed out the idea that Marson opens 2011 in Cbus (to get regular playing time) and 1 of Carlin/ Phillips serve as the big league backup.

That's good logic.

They'll have to weigh that with the development of Marson. He really won't get many reps in Cleveland, though I don't know if I'm that worried about that.

Both god points. I would suggest that Marson's development shouldn't be dismissed as one more injury to Santana plus the lack of options at 1B might necessitate moving Santana to 1B. Chen will be at least 2 yrs away from MLB. Marson would be a very valuable interim guy. I'd stick him in Cbus.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:40 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:As the winter leagues have come to a close for the Indians.. it appears a handful of players distinguished themselves rather nicely:
Giovanni Soto.. another fine performance.. he appears to be coming on.. we'll see if he can make the Indians decision to send him to the minors around the final cut down a much more difficult decision.

Noticed this the other day but couldn't comment at the time.
There would need to be a disaster of biblical proportions for Soto to get a whiff of major league squad to start 2011. Soto hasn't pitched an inning above the Low-A level yet.
I liked the acquisition at the time and I still like it today, but there is no reason to rush him ahead of others, even to take advantage of his being left-handed.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:10 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:As the winter leagues have come to a close for the Indians.. it appears a handful of players distinguished themselves rather nicely:

Noticed this the other day but couldn't comment at the time.
There would need to be a disaster of biblical proportions for Soto to get a whiff of major league squad to start 2011. Soto hasn't pitched an inning above the Low-A level yet.
I liked the acquisition at the time and I still like it today, but there is no reason to rush him ahead of others, even to take advantage of his being left-handed.

I like Soto as well but don't expect him to be a factor in any way in Cleveland. His pitching in low A was outstanding. My questions about his ceiling are more on the physical side which is why he is not as high on my list as others from the LC staff. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:30 pm

IMO Giovonni Soto ends up a bullpen arm at best maybe a long man, if he actually puts on a little muscle he could be a fifth starter at best. I'd be glad to be proved wrong.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:39 am

TBH... Giovanni Soto should be, at best.. two and half years away from the conversation.. He's doesn't have the velo that you'd like to see... that is..he's another soft tossing lefty that knows how to pitch.. this plays very well against young aggresive hitters.. As he'll just be turning 20 years old at the start of the 2011 season.. he could add some weight and some velocity. He's got a big enough frame to add at least 20 to 40 pounds of muscle.. His career could follow a similar path such as Rafael Perez.. or he could remain a starter with an upside / comp similar to Mark Buehrle (unlikely.. but possible). He does throw strikes.. a lot of them.. He needs work on pitching from the stretch and a MUCH better pick off move. Paying too much attention to runners is just as bad as not paying attention to them at all.. This is something he'll learn as he progresses through the Indians minor league system...probably starting off/repeating Lake County this year but moving quickly to High A (K-Tribe?) as the season wears on....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:27 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:TBH... Giovanni Soto should be, at best.. two and half years away from the conversation.. He's doesn't have the velo that you'd like to see... that is..he's another soft tossing lefty that knows how to pitch.. this plays very well against young aggresive hitters.. As he'll just be turning 20 years old at the start of the 2011 season.. he could add some weight and some velocity. He's got a big enough frame to add at least 20 to 40 pounds of muscle.. His career could follow a similar path such as Rafael Perez.. or he could remain a starter with an upside / comp similar to Mark Buehrle (unlikely.. but possible). He does throw strikes.. a lot of them.. He needs work on pitching from the stretch and a MUCH better pick off move. Paying too much attention to runners is just as bad as not paying attention to them at all.. This is something he'll learn as he progresses through the Indians minor league system...probably starting off/repeating Lake County this year but moving quickly to High A (K-Tribe?) as the season wears on....

I think it was you who put him in the conversation, GS, with your comment about making it difficult to send him down to the minors. Time will tell but I question your projection on his frame. FWIW, I think he stays at starter regardless. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk