RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Rule V interests

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Rule V interests

Postby wrestlecd4 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:57 pm

Saw a couple interesting names go unrostered
Kasey Kiker
Danny Gutierrez
Aneury Rodriguez
Matt Sweeney
Taylor Green
Daryl Jones
Wynn Pelzer
Ryan Adams
Billy Rowell
Brad Emaus
Adam Loewen
Will Inman
Wilfredo Boscan
I am. Sure there are others. Do you see the Indians plucking any of these guys in Rule V.
wrestlecd4
Undrafted Free Agent

Re: Rule V interests

Postby artgold » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:04 pm

Baseball America and Sickels were both high on Wynn Pelzer before this season.

Now that he is in the bullpen he seems redundant to our strengths, but he could be worth a look.

Ryan Adams has a good bat, not read anything about a good glove though. Might also be worth a look, with our 3rd base situation. However, I doubt he is developmentally anywhere ahead of Chiz.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby wrestlecd4 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:01 am

Braves left Kenshin Kawakami and Wilkin Ramirez unprotected as well.
wrestlecd4
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:12 am

Its my understanding that since the Tribe roster is full at 40 at this point (the deadline) they will be UNABLE to make a selection in the R5.

This isn't a situation where you can select someone and then make the roster space for the selection player.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby artgold » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:35 am

Yeah, I forgot that in Rule 5 you can't "add and drop" on your roster.

Out here in Northern California, the Giants only have 37 players protected. I guess they make take a shot at one of those guys, and/or perhaps Adam Miller.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby osueddy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:40 am

Wasn't there talk of us getting Taylor Green in the C.C. (that's right, I added the periods) Sabathia trade?
osueddy
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:50 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Its my understanding that since the Tribe roster is full at 40 at this point (the deadline) they will be UNABLE to make a selection in the R5.

This isn't a situation where you can select someone and then make the roster space for the selection player.

Yeah, but Indians could drop a guy (Germano/Duncan) off the 40-man minutes before Rule 5 to create a spot and draft someone.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:20 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
MadThinker88 wrote:Its my understanding that since the Tribe roster is full at 40 at this point (the deadline) they will be UNABLE to make a selection in the R5.

Yeah, but Indians could drop a guy (Germano/Duncan) off the 40-man minutes before Rule 5 to create a spot and draft someone.

It seems to me with the add of Goedert to the mix at 1B/RH DH, Duncan becomes even more superfluous. I have to believe that the only thing keeping either Duncan or Brown around is the concern about Sizemore's readiness to play. I don't think it will happen for the draft. The Indians made conscientous decisions already and I think they will stand pat. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:36 pm

osueddy wrote:Wasn't there talk of us getting Taylor Green in the C.C. (that's right, I added the periods) Sabathia trade?

There was. Him and Brantley were reportedly the top 2 choices for the PTBNL.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:58 pm

Wasn't there talk of us getting Taylor Green in the C.C. (that's right, I added the periods) Sabathia trade?..
Lorenzo Cain was also discussed at one point as well...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby davidkey » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:52 pm

Sorry if this has been discussed in another thread.....but if we want to take someone in the Rule V, who do we drop from our 40 man roster? I say the 3 'best' candidates are Germano, Hermann, and Valbuena. Arguments can be made for dropping others, but I think the strongest arguments can be made for dropping these guys specifically.

Ex: Some might say drop Laffey or Jensen Lewis or Shelly Duncan. True, they are all mediocre players at best, but they are at least mediocre at the MLB level, when healthy. So we know they can contribute, if not particularly well, at the MLB level. Duncan has what next to nobody else in the system has, which is the ability to hit a HR from the right side of the plate, and in general he can hit LH pitching fairly well. He can play LF, DH (!) and maybe 1B (?), is a great clubhouse guy, and a veteran. Guys like him are often worth more to a team than the stats indicate.

Ex: why drop Hermann? Well, b/c our system is loaded with power RH arms who have much higher upsides. Hermann maxes out at 95 with that flat fastball (ONLY works if he locates it very well), and no 2ndary pitches that make hitters worry. He had one month or so of decent performace in Cleveland after being called up, but then he tailed off. He's a long relief guy at best on a mediocre/bad team.
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:07 pm

davidkey wrote:Sorry if this has been discussed in another thread.....but if we want to take someone in the Rule V, who do we drop from our 40 man roster? I say the 3 'best' candidates are Germano, Hermann, and Valbuena. Arguments can be made for dropping others, but I think the strongest arguments can be made for dropping these guys specifically.

Welcome Davidkey.

As to who we drop on the 40-man, Germano and Duncan are the two options and what I have been explained by the front office. As to which goes before the other, it depends on the how they feel at the time, but the general sense is Germano is 1st up to go and then Duncan next.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby theshow » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:16 pm

davidkey wrote:I say the 3 'best' candidates are Germano, Hermann, and Valbuena.

How can an argument be made for dropping Hermann? He is young and throws hard and had a pretty solid rookie season. I would be all for dropping Valbuena. I am done being patient with that guy. I know a stiff when I see one.
theshow
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:20 pm

I don't believe Herrmann is in any danger whatsoever of being removed from the 40-man. Maybe midseason depending on how things go, but absolutely not now.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby davidkey » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:51 pm

Tony, thanks for the welcome and the info regarding 40 man stuff. I'll certainly take your word for it regarding Hermann. I will admit I don't quite get it - a previous poster wrote "why would you drop Hermann", and in my original post I made my case. What is he, 26 years old? He ain't getting any younger and probably not gonna get much better. I'm not saying Hermann's worthless, I just think we have so many higher upside bullpen arms in the wings that we could do without Hermann.

Anyhoo.....the "who do we drop from the 40 if/when we have to" issue is kinda like picking between apple pie or pecan pie. In the end it doesn't really matter, it's just filler.

Taking the thanksgiving desert analogy one more step, we'll all get our pie and eat it too if by some miracle we can rid ourselves of King Luis V.
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Edible14 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:58 am

At this point, the only way you remove Valbuena is if you add another IF to the roster... or are planning on starting Goedert at 3B. Right now, if no other moves are made, you have Nix at 3B, Donald at 2B.... who's your utility IF? Phelps and JRod aren't on the roster. Sutton was let go. The only way you have Valbuena not on the 25 man roster with the way the team is configured is if you have Goedert up on the big league roster. Even then, I think you'd want at least one guy on the 40 man roster who could be called up in case of Acab/Donald/Nix getting put on the 15 day DL. You don't want to have to remove someone from the roster just to make a call-up in that case.

Which is why Duncan and Germano are more expendable. We have plenty of OF guys (Weglarz, Duncan, Brown, Carrerra and Crowe are all on the roster, and at most 2 of them get a spot on the 25). There's also plenty of relievers, with 11 guys not counting Hagadone (I want to believe he's still going to be pushed as a starter), with presumably only 7 spots on the big league roster. While Herrman might not be terribly special, I'd only rank him 5th worst of all the relievers on the 40 man, behind Jensen Lewis (who I insist is the very definition of a replacement player), Germano, Laffey (The best thing going for him is his handedness... Marte threw harder than him) and Jess Todd. I'd actually rather have Herrman on the roster than Joe Smith, but I'm in the minority on that one. And, the nice thing with Herrman is that he has options. If he sucks this next year, he can be sent to AAA without having to clear waivers. I believe that the same cannot be said for Smith, Laffey, Germano and Smith.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:39 am

I think this may be a good opportunity for the Tribe to try to get a stopgap 3B cheap. there's gotta be someone unprotected better than the never-ending cast of backups/rejects that filled the hot corner for the '10 Tribe.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:09 pm

... is kinda like picking between apple pie or pecan pie....
pumpkin pie never gets the love it deserves!!.. YUM!!
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:18 pm

theshow wrote:
davidkey wrote:I say the 3 'best' candidates are Germano, Hermann, and Valbuena.

How can an argument be made for dropping Hermann? He is young and throws hard and had a pretty solid rookie season. I would be all for dropping Valbuena. I am done being patient with that guy. I know a stiff when I see one.

Yeah, I'm a big supporter of Lewis, but no way is Hermann more in danger of being dropped than him. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Hermann still have all 3 of his minor league options left? Worst case he's a depth guy at AAA.

I know a lot of fans are down on Valbuena....but I think people forget that he's our youngest infielder right now on the 40-man. He's younger than AC, Goedert, Donald, and LaPorta. He very likely is never gonna get to where scouts thought he'd be offfensively prior to the 2009 season, but he can still make it as a nice utility infielder (he's also a year younger than J-Rod). Valbuena deserves one last shot in 2011 IMO to prove he's worth keeping around, even if it's only a utility role.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:27 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Hermann still have all 3 of his minor league options left? Worst case he's a depth guy at AAA.

Yes.

Here is the updated options chart which I will be re-posting to the front page tomorrow:

http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/2 ... -list.html
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby danh8 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:48 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
... is kinda like picking between apple pie or pecan pie....
pumpkin pie never gets the love it deserves!!.. YUM!!

Pumpkin pie has always been overlooked. It's the lower round draft pick that outplays the higher drafted guy, but never gets the recognition that it deserves.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby davidkey » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:40 pm

Pumpkin pie is not really overlooked, it's shoved in everyone's faces ad nauseum (one time I literally threw up after eating it) and the big problem with that is that it's just not that good (never mine that the piece that made me throw up was tainted).

take something that is highly overrated and continually shoved in your face......say, the Grady Sizemore of 2007 and 2008......and too many people end up thinking it's great.

In the end, Pumpkin Pie is a AAAA outfielder. Pecan Pie is Albert Pujols, or in a minor league analogy, Stephen Strasburg without the arm problems.
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Edible14 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:16 pm

davidkey wrote:Pumpkin pie is not really overlooked, it's shoved in everyone's faces ad nauseum (one time I literally threw up after eating it) and the big problem with that is that it's just not that good (never mine that the piece that made me throw up was tainted).

take something that is highly overrated and continually shoved in your face......say, the Grady Sizemore of 2007 and 2008......and too many people end up thinking it's great.

In the end, Pumpkin Pie is a AAAA outfielder. Pecan Pie is Albert Pujols, or in a minor league analogy, Stephen Strasburg without the arm problems.

And here we have an example of a wrong opinion.

Just kidding. But seriously, enough pie analogies. Especially if you're gonna bash on pumpkin... my personal favorite... in favor of pecan... my personal least favorite.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:40 pm

In as much as any and all pie is worthy of eating, (except my mother in law's cherry pie.. you know that jelly crap from a can dumped into a pie crust from a pillsbury tube.. then burnt on the edges to the point the dog won't eat it..) so, all should be given a fair appraisal..

Tainted?. you didn't get a piece of my MIL's pumpkin pie?. did you?...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Return to Indians Prospect Talk