RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Does Adam Miller get taken in the Rule V draft

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: Does Adam Miller get taken in the Rule V draft

Postby npc29 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:50 pm

webba2000 wrote:http://www.bucsdugout.com/2010/11/22/1825674/rule-5-possibilities-2010

They all seem to be very high on Miller (see the comments). I kind of think that that is the general thinking. He'll get pick but I still think he'll be offered back rather soon.

I read this earlier and found it interesting. While I don't think that necessarily would be a baseball scouts general perception, I think that is a good idea of what the general fan with a good amount of knowledge feels towards Miller.

It just is furthering Tony's point about Adam. They simply don't know anything about him right now.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:02 pm

If a guess were to be made on who would be looking at drafting Miller in the Rule V Draft.. I'd wager on Baltimore.. they always seem to take someone, have had some good fortune with former Indians rule V eligibles, won't necessarily be in a position to compete so youngsters will be given plenty of opportunities.. and could use some help on their pitching staff..like every other team in MLB..

Whether he remains.. is unknown...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby wrestlecd4 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:12 pm

I am in the same boat. I think Baltimore is the team that selects him and he will end up staying there. Just a gut feeling at this point but I would be shocked if he is NOT selected personally. Have talked to a number of people in the last couple of days to see what the general perception is and they view him as a wild card pickup. He will get selected but you dont really know what you are getting until he gets there. Could be a great gamble for a team.
wrestlecd4
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby danh8 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:14 am

wrestlecd4 wrote:I am in the same boat. I think Baltimore is the team that selects him and he will end up staying there. Just a gut feeling at this point but I would be shocked if he is NOT selected personally. Have talked to a number of people in the last couple of days to see what the general perception is and they view him as a wild card pickup. He will get selected but you dont really know what you are getting until he gets there. Could be a great gamble for a team.

I'm thinking organizations that have people with them now, that have had some extended exposure to Adam Miller when they were working with us. Someone like Eric Wedge who is now with Seattle, might find it worthwhile to kick his tires. We'll see soon enough.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:16 am

GeronimoSon wrote:If a guess were to be made on who would be looking at drafting Miller in the Rule V Draft.. I'd wager on Baltimore.. they always seem to take someone, have had some good fortune with former Indians rule V eligibles, won't necessarily be in a position to compete so youngsters will be given plenty of opportunities.. and could use some help on their pitching staff..like every other team in MLB..

Whether he remains.. is unknown...

hey GS, no big deal but I cannot recall The Orioles successfully drafting in rule V from the tribe. Who am I missing? :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:09 am

Jeremey Guthrie
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:25 am

GeronimoSon wrote:Jeremey Guthrie

He was claimed off waivers.... not a rule 5 pick.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:29 am

I stand corrected.. but he was one of the guys the O's have acquired from the Indians.. Same with Luke Scott.. Fernando Cabrera.. The O's do seem to take someone every year in the Rule V draft though..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:36 am

Technically Luke Scott was acquired from the Astros by the O's, not that it matters.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:36 am

GeronimoSon wrote:I stand corrected.. but he was one of the guys the O's have acquired from the Indians.. Same with Luke Scott.. Fernando Cabrera.. The O's do seem to take someone every year in the Rule V draft though..

none were rule 5 and also its rule 5 not rule V I know when I have written on the topic that is always stressed, Bmore has kept virtually none of the players they have ever selected
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby TitoFrancona » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:55 pm

I would be stunned if Adam Miller isn't drafted and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's the first player taken. 25 grand for a looksee on a pitcher who can (has) throw 100+mph heat is nothing. The only thing any team needs is an open spot on their 40 man.
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect

Postby jellis » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:41 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:I would be stunned if Adam Miller isn't drafted and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's the first player taken. 25 grand for a looksee on a pitcher who can (has) throw 100+mph heat is nothing. The only thing any team needs is an open spot on their 40 man.

this just feels like the constant view of Indians fans, every system has hard throwers, and as Tony stated it says a ton that the Indians werent willing to roster him. They must think zero chance he can stay healthy
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby TitoFrancona » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:33 pm

jellis wrote:
TitoFrancona wrote:I would be stunned if Adam Miller isn't drafted and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's the first player taken. 25 grand for a looksee on a pitcher who can (has) throw 100+mph heat is nothing. The only thing any team needs is an open spot on their 40 man.

this just feels like the constant view of Indians fans, every system has hard throwers, and as Tony stated it says a ton that the Indians werent willing to roster him. They must think zero chance he can stay healthy

Hard throwers that have no command are dime a dozen. Hard throwers who actually can pitch (which Miller proved he could) are a completely different story.

I don't know if Miller can stay healthy or not and don't believe the Indians know either. I think this is simply a gamble on their part.
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect

Postby jellis » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:58 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:
jellis wrote:

Hard throwers that have no command are dime a dozen. Hard throwers who actually can pitch (which Miller proved he could) are a completely different story.

I don't know if Miller can stay healthy or not and don't believe the Indians know either. I think this is simply a gamble on their part.

cept no one knows if he can pitch at this point, I dont think any team who would draft him could keep him, and that's what the Indians are banking on. Rule 5 is a constant over blow, last year we thought we woudl be raided and lost one guy, year before a big to do and we lost no one. Rule 5 is the biggest non story of baseball's off season. Since the rule change almost no one decent has been drafted.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:37 pm

jellis wrote:cept no one knows if he can pitch at this point, I dont think any team who would draft him could keep him, and that's what the Indians are banking on. Rule 5 is a constant over blow, last year we thought we woudl be raided and lost one guy, year before a big to do and we lost no one. Rule 5 is the biggest non story of baseball's off season. Since the rule change almost no one decent has been drafted.
[/quote]

++1
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:26 pm

yikes, kind of stretching that statement don't ya think? I mean, Bob Feller can (has) thrown 100+mph heat. Miller throws as hard as Germano now....if he's lucky.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:01 pm

If a team would draft Miller, why not draft Anthony Reyes then too?
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby gotribe31 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:23 pm

I don't think there's much chance he gets taken.
gotribe31
Draft Prospect

Postby danh8 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:24 pm

gotribe31 wrote:I don't think there's much chance he gets taken.

I was of the personal opinion that he would likely going to get taken by some team willing to roll the dice. But, after talking with three guys I know that work for other franchises that do this stuff for a living, my belief is that his chances of getting taken are about 20%. Most just seem to feel that it's best for the kid's chances to have the consistency of approach, with people very familar with the situation. That putting him a spot where he might be pushed at a pace that could damage him would be not only a bad decision for the franchise, but the worst case scenario for the player.

That was almost the exact words that were told me by a top scout for the Pirates organization.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:50 pm

danh8 wrote:Most just seem to feel that it's best for the kid's chances to have the consistency of approach, with people very familar with the situation. That putting him a spot where he might be pushed at a pace that could damage him would be not only a bad decision for the franchise, but the worst case scenario for the player.

That was almost the exact words that were told me by a top scout for the Pirates organization.

Spot on and you are stealing some of my thunder from a Miller article I am posting early next week. :rose:
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:19 pm

even if he got taken there is a zero percent chance he is kept
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:58 pm

I think JRod will be picked and then likely offered back, not sure on Adam Miller, honestly I flip back and forth thinking no one will pk him but any time a club has a shot at a arm like his then it could happen.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:30 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I think JRod will be picked and then likely offered back, not sure on Adam Miller, honestly I flip back and forth thinking no one will pk him but any time a club has a shot at a arm like his then it could happen.

Like you, I think JRod will be selected but whether he is offered back depends on the selecting team and view of him as a player. If they are looking for a quality ML SS, I don't think it is a good match. On the other hand if they are looking for a versatile UT with some pop, he might make a decent 25th man on some teams. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:56 am

Of the players that are Rule V eligible, Adam Miller offers the best "upside", but carries the most risk w/r his ability to contribute to a major league team in 2011. For this reason, he will go undrafted. Matt McBribe may be the only player taken as he offers an intriguing blend of draft pedigree, catching position experience, and line drive/power potential. Otherwise.. If two dozen total players get selected, it will be surprise..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:32 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Of the players that are Rule V eligible, Adam Miller offers the best "upside", but carries the most risk w/r his ability to contribute to a major league team in 2011. For this reason, he will go undrafted. Matt McBribe may be the only player taken as he offers an intriguing blend of draft pedigree, catching position experience, and line drive/power potential. Otherwise.. If two dozen total players get selected, it will be surprise..

Disagree with that statment.....don't even feel he has the best "upside" of Cleveland players eligible for the Rule 5 draft. Rob Bryson has better stuff currently and was healthy. His K-rate was insane last year. He's clearly not ML ready.....but I'd take him over Miller in a heartbeat right now on "upside", health, and stuff.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Edible14 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:51 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Disagree with that statment.....don't even feel he has the best "upside" of Cleveland players eligible for the Rule 5 draft. Rob Bryson has better stuff currently and was healthy. His K-rate was insane last year. He's clearly not ML ready.....but I'd take him over Miller in a heartbeat right now on "upside", health, and stuff.

Good thing he's not eligible then, right?
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:37 pm

I think JRod is more likely to be taken (than Miller) as a UT player and be that 25th player on a squad for a cpl teams.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:56 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
Disagree with that statment.....don't even feel he has the best "upside" of Cleveland players eligible for the Rule 5 draft. Rob Bryson has better stuff currently and was healthy. His K-rate was insane last year. He's clearly not ML ready.....but I'd take him over Miller in a heartbeat right now on "upside", health, and stuff.

Ooops !...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:32 pm

Edible14 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:Disagree with that statment.....don't even feel he has the best "upside" of Cleveland players eligible for the Rule 5 draft. Rob Bryson has better stuff currently and was healthy. His K-rate was insane last year. He's clearly not ML ready.....but I'd take him over Miller in a heartbeat right now on "upside", health, and stuff.

http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/2010/03/indians-rule-5-future-eligibles.html

According to Tony's pre-season list he is.....

And he was drafted in 2006 (at 18)....making this the 5th Rule 5 draft since he became a pro....so he's eligible for the draft according to the rules. Only way he's not is if he didn't sign til late as he was a draft and follow guy...not sure how the rules on drafting vs signing works with those guys.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:06 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
Edible14 wrote:

http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/2010/03/indians-rule-5-future-eligibles.html

According to Tony's pre-season list he is.....

And he was drafted in 2006 (at 18)....making this the 5th Rule 5 draft since he became a pro....so he's eligible for the draft according to the rules. Only way he's not is if he didn't sign til late as he was a draft and follow guy...not sure how the rules on drafting vs signing works with those guys.

Tony reported a few weeks back that he wasn't eligable.

http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/2 ... ayoff.html
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TitoFrancona » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:42 pm

Hermie13 wrote:

yikes, kind of stretching that statement don't ya think? I mean, Bob Feller can (has) thrown 100+mph heat. Miller throws as hard as Germano now....if he's lucky.

Adam Miller has reached 3 digits on the radar in the past. Nobody here knows if his velocity will be affected by his injury or not. He's only thrown one simulated inning and I believe he hit mid-90s. That's without building up his arm strength
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect

Postby TitoFrancona » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:44 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
jellis wrote:cept no one knows if he can pitch at this point, I dont think any team who would draft him could keep him, and that's what the Indians are banking on. Rule 5 is a constant over blow, last year we thought we woudl be raided and lost one guy, year before a big to do and we lost no one. Rule 5 is the biggest non story of baseball's off season. Since the rule change almost no one decent has been drafted.

If the 40 man roster was completely filled with players who weren't expendable. That would be a true statement. That's clearly not the case with the Indians.
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect

Postby A.Zajac » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:55 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Adam Miller has reached 3 digits on the radar in the past. Nobody here knows if his velocity will be affected by his injury or not. He's only thrown one simulated inning and I believe he hit mid-90s. That's without building up his arm strength

Sorry, but I think you're dead wrong here. You will never see Miller hit the triple digits again. Those days are long over. IMO, the most you may see him ramp up to is 94-95 from here on out.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GhostofTedCox » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:05 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
TitoFrancona wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Sorry, but I think you're dead wrong here. You will never see Miller hit the triple digits again. Those days are long over. IMO, the most you may see him ramp up to is 94-95 from here on out.

There's no way you, me, or anybody can say what Miller will be able to do if he stays clear of injuries. I admit it's not likely. But if he can reach the 90's the first time back in a game, never say never.
Which is why I think there is a good chance he will get picked. Worth a look.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:37 am

.. what Miller will be...
Here's hoping Miller is able to regain his health as his mental approach needed in pursuit of his craft & desire to become a major league pitcher is an example of courage and bravery. It cannot be understated the depth of his committment and dedication. Be that in an Indians uniform, which I hope comes to pass, or as a member of another organization that can give him the opportunity to achieve his goal.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:38 am

GhostofTedCox wrote:There's no way you, me, or anybody can say what Miller will be able to do if he stays clear of injuries. I admit it's not likely. But if he can reach the 90's the first time back in a game, never say never.

Knowing what I know about Miller's medical condition talking to him and the Indians over the past several months, the expectation is he won't ever again reach the velocity he had in the past in the upper 90s. The medical is just not sound and he's been out so long that it has taken its toll. What you will see is a "pitcher" now if he comes back. A guy who sits 90-93 MPH and may occassionally touch 94 or 95 tops. That's the expectation based on his medicals.

He only threw one instructional league game where he averaged 91 and touched 93 (that's not mid to upper 90s). Remember though that he had been pretty much throwing since about June and had been on a throwing program, throwing bullpens, and sim games. It's not like it was his first action. His velocity for that Instructional League game is actually pretty close to what it is going to top out at.

I think there is an unrealistic expectation that just because he threw in one instructional league game he is going to be back next year and throwing mid to upper 90s. That's not happening. Ever. But, if he can prove healthy, he has the stuff still to be a solid pitcher and because of his makeup can still be a very effective reliever at 60-80% of the pitcher he once was.

He's an extreme longshot still, who with the Indians makes for a great story. One we are all pulling for. A guy who has worked his ass off to get back into the mix. But don't mistake all that to mean the guy is ever going to pitch again, because the odds are still against him even with all the progress made.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby stoike » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:22 pm

He still has the ARM strength to hit the upper 90s, but his hand/fingers cannot handle the stress. As Tony said, mid-90s would be the peak, and to me, that in itself is amazing with all he has been through.
stoike
Draft Prospect

Postby jellis » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:16 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
GhostofTedCox wrote:There's no way you, me, or anybody can say what Miller will be able to do if he stays clear of injuries. I admit it's not likely. But if he can reach the 90's the first time back in a game, never say never.

Knowing what I know about Miller's medical condition talking to him and the Indians over the past several months, the expectation is he won't ever again reach the velocity he had in the past in the upper 90s. The medical is just not sound and he's been out so long that it has taken its toll. What you will see is a "pitcher" now if he comes back. A guy who sits 90-93 MPH and may occassionally touch 94 or 95 tops. That's the expectation based on his medicals.

He only threw one instructional league game where he averaged 91 and touched 93 (that's not mid to upper 90s). Remember though that he had been pretty much throwing since about June and had been on a throwing program, throwing bullpens, and sim games. It's not like it was his first action. His velocity for that Instructional League game is actually pretty close to what it is going to top out at.

I think there is an unrealistic expectation that just because he threw in one instructional league game he is going to be back next year and throwing mid to upper 90s. That's not happening. Ever. But, if he can prove healthy, he has the stuff still to be a solid pitcher and because of his makeup can still be a very effective reliever at 60-80% of the pitcher he once was.

He's an extreme longshot still, who with the Indians makes for a great story. One we are all pulling for. A guy who has worked his ass off to get back into the mix. But don't mistake all that to mean the guy is ever going to pitch again, because the odds are still against him even with all the progress made.

This is the point I have tried to make but no where near as well. He is not the Adam Miller who was a phenom anymore, if he ever makes he is a shell of his former self. He is going to sit the in low 90's with an ok fastball I bet maybe a 55 on the scouting rating system. His slider will be his out pitch and only truly plus pitch. That is going to be it, the other pitches need to be forgotten its been too long, at best we get a very good reliever with Miller. His days as a starter are done, his days of blue chip potential are done. I think he has the same ceiling as a Rob Bryson type at this point for his career.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby GhostofTedCox » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:13 pm

jellis wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:

This is the point I have tried to make but no where near as well. He is not the Adam Miller who was a phenom anymore, if he ever makes he is a shell of his former self. He is going to sit the in low 90's with an ok fastball I bet maybe a 55 on the scouting rating system. His slider will be his out pitch and only truly plus pitch. That is going to be it, the other pitches need to be forgotten its been too long, at best we get a very good reliever with Miller. His days as a starter are done, his days of blue chip potential are done. I think he has the same ceiling as a Rob Bryson type at this point for his career.

I still think he's worth a chance in the Rule 5 draft. I guess we will find out on Thursday.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby TitoFrancona » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:42 pm

jellis wrote: This is the point I have tried to make but no where near as well. He is not the Adam Miller who was a phenom anymore, if he ever makes he is a shell of his former self. He is going to sit the in low 90's with an ok fastball I bet maybe a 55 on the scouting rating system. His slider will be his out pitch and only truly plus pitch. That is going to be it, the other pitches need to be forgotten its been too long, at best we get a very good reliever with Miller. His days as a starter are done, his days of blue chip potential are done. I think he has the same ceiling as a Rob Bryson type at this point for his career.

Clearly, there isn't anybody on this forum that can say for certain that Miller will never be able to bump his velocity up to mid-90s, just as there isn't anybody who can say for sure he'll ever be healthy. So his ceiling still is unknown and unpredictable, but if his upside were that of a Bryson, he still stands a good chance of being taken. I'm pretty sure if Bryson were eligiblie, he'd be a serious consideration for protecting just as he would be a serious consideration for being drafted.
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect

Postby jellis » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:57 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:
jellis wrote: This is the point I have tried to make but no where near as well. He is not the Adam Miller who was a phenom anymore, if he ever makes he is a shell of his former self. He is going to sit the in low 90's with an ok fastball I bet maybe a 55 on the scouting rating system. His slider will be his out pitch and only truly plus pitch. That is going to be it, the other pitches need to be forgotten its been too long, at best we get a very good reliever with Miller. His days as a starter are done, his days of blue chip potential are done. I think he has the same ceiling as a Rob Bryson type at this point for his career.

Clearly, there isn't anybody on this forum that can say for certain that Miller will never be able to bump his velocity up to mid-90s, just as there isn't anybody who can say for sure he'll ever be healthy. So his ceiling still is unknown and unpredictable, but if his upside were that of a Bryson, he still stands a good chance of being taken. I'm pretty sure if Bryson were eligiblie, he'd be a serious consideration for protecting just as he would be a serious consideration for being drafted.

a healthy Bryson yes would be taken, but one who hasn't pitched competitively in years would not be that's the difference. They might have the same ceiling, but the medicals make a huge difference. I have also talked with 2 of my friends who are doctors and sports fans and I can't explain it well, but they told me, that less than a 5% chance he would ever recover fully, it would basically take one of those unexplained recoveries
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Previous

Return to Indians Prospect Talk