Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

2011 Prospect rankings

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2011 Prospect rankings

Postby Timmyb » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:43 am

MadThinker88 wrote:http://milbprospects.blogspot.com/p/top-prospects-by-team.html

I noticed another site today -
Interestingly they list top 50 prosepcts for each team. Thought others here would want to comment after review.

Only major problem I had on the 1st pass - they still listed Carlos Rivero with the Tribe (at #18). Was also surprised that Bryson was so low (#49) and how high others (Lavisky and Rondon) were listed.

Anyway, here is the listing:
Cleveland Indians
1 Lonnie Chisenhall , 3B , CLE
2 Drew Pomeranz , P , CLE
3 Jason Knapp , P , CLE
4 Alex White , P , CLE
5 Jason Kipnis , 2B , CLE
6 Nick Weglarz , OF , CLE
7 LeVon Washington , OF , CLE
8 Kyle Blair , P , CLE
9 Tony Wolters , SS , CLE
10 Alexander Lavisky , C , CLE
11 Hector Rondon , P , CLE
12 Zach McAllister , P , CLE
13 Tyler Holt , OF , CLE
14 TJ House , P , CLE
15 Zach Putnam , P , CLE
16 Scott Barnes , P , CLE
17 Corey Kluber , P , CLE
18 Carlos Rivero , SS , CLE
19 Jairo Kelly , H , CLE
20 Joe Gardner , P , CLE
21 Tim Fedroff , OF , CLE
22 Matt McBride , C , CLE
23 Cord Phelps , 2B , CLE
24 Chen Chang Lee , P , CLE
25 Kelvin De la Cruz , P , CLE
26 Wes Hodges , 3B , CLE
27 Beau Mills , 1B , CLE
28 Clayton Cook , P , CLE
29 Bryan Price , P , CLE
30 Abner Abreu , OF , CLE
31 Jorge Martinez , SS , CLE
32 Jess Todd , P , CLE
33 Robbie Aviles , P , CLE
34 Nick Hagadone , P , CLE
35 Jordan Henry , OF , CLE
36 Delvi Cid , OF , CLE
37 Alexander Perez , P , CLE
38 Chun Chen , C , CLE
39 Giovanny Urshela , SS , CLE
40 Bryce Stowell , P , CLE
41 Robel Garcia , SS , CLE
42 Ezequiel Carrera , OF , CLE
43 Jordan Cooper , P , CLE
44 Preston Guilmet , P , CLE
45 Felix Sterling , P , CLE
46 Karexon Sanchez , 2B , CLE
47 Michael Goodnight , P , CLE
48 Luigi Rodriguez , H , CLE
49 Robert Bryson , P , CLE
50 Jason Smit , SS , CLE

Were is Mr. Bo Greenwell on this list? This site obviously has no idea on who is who in the Indians farm system
Timmyb
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby OhioBaseball » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:31 am

MadThinker88 wrote:http://milbprospects.blogspot.com/p/top-prospects-by-team.html

I noticed another site today -MiLBProspects.Blogspot.com
Interestingly they list top 50 prosepcts for each team. Thought others here would want to comment after review.

Only major problem I had on the 1st pass - they still listed Carlos Rivero with the Tribe (at #18). Was also surprised that Bryson was so low (#49) and how high others (Lavisky and Rondon) were listed.

Cleveland Indians
3 Jason Knapp , P , CLE
4 Alex White , P , CLE
8 Kyle Blair , P , CLE
13 Tyler Holt , OF , CLE
14 TJ House , P , CLE
15 Zach Putnam , P , CLE
19 Jairo Kelly , H , CLE
20 Joe Gardner , P , CLE
26 Wes Hodges , 3B , CLE
27 Beau Mills , 1B , CLE
29 Bryan Price , P , CLE
32 Jess Todd , P , CLE
36 Delvi Cid , OF , CLE
38 Chun Chen , C , CLE
50 Jason Smit , SS , CLE

First, I firmly agree with how Pomeranz, Knapp and White were ranked in this list. From the posts I've read, I think most Indians fans on this board don't realize how good Pomeranz is. I've not seen him as much as White, but Pomeranz is a damn good pitching prospect.

Second, what is the status of Bryce Stowell? He was shut down with forearm soreness at the end of the season, if I recall correctly. As a pretty big Stowell fan, this concerned me. Has he thrown this winter? Is he going to be ready for spring training?
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby petes999 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:34 am

I noticed another site today -MiLBProspects.Blogspot.com

Cleveland Indians
3 Jason Knapp , P , CLE
4 Alex White , P , CLE
8 Kyle Blair , P , CLE
13 Tyler Holt , OF , CLE
14 TJ House , P , CLE
15 Zach Putnam , P , CLE
19 Jairo Kelly , H , CLE
20 Joe Gardner , P , CLE
26 Wes Hodges , 3B , CLE
27 Beau Mills , 1B , CLE
29 Bryan Price , P , CLE
32 Jess Todd , P , CLE
36 Delvi Cid , OF , CLE
38 Chun Chen , C , CLE
50 Jason Smit , SS , CLE

Look at it this way ... Did this guy even see a game? Just because someone comes up with a list, doesn't make him an expert. I trust the list of most of the guys on this site more than some guy with MiLB in his blog name. Just look at who is above Urshela? Wes Hodges, Mills and Jorge Martinez. I can see a Martinez possibly above Urshela but not this one who hit .216 at Dominican versus .290 for Urshela who is just a year older but state-side and gold glove potential at 3B. Then Bryson just one slot above Smit? And, I know people are high on Blair, but really 8 between Washington and Wolters? Might as well put all the names in a hat and pick at random. And to top it off Kelly at 19? He hit .250 in the Dominican. How many people went this far down to find a legit top 30 prospect?
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:37 am

petes999 wrote:Look at it this way ... Did this guy even see a game? Just because someone comes up with a list, doesn't make him an expert. I trust the list of most of the guys on this site more than some guy with MiLB in his blog name. Just look at who is above Urshela? Wes Hodges, Mills and Jorge Martinez. I can see a Martinez possibly above Urshela but not this one who hit .216 at Dominican versus .290 for Urshela who is just a year older but state-side and gold glove potential at 3B. Then Bryson just one slot above Smit? And, I know people are high on Blair, but really 8 between Washington and Wolters? Might as well put all the names in a hat and pick at random. And to top it off Kelly at 19? He hit .250 in the Dominican. How many people went this far down to find a legit top 30 prospect?

Bingo
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby davidkey » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:13 pm

Who is Jairo Kelly and what is this 'H' position that he plays??
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby davidkey » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:39 pm

Over a couple of separate posts, I'll give my top 50 list, but my rankings are a bit different. than most - my top 15 is based on those closest to the bigs (arrival 2011 or 2012) who have the potential to be important/good/impact MLers. 16-30 are youngsters with high upside (2013 arrivals probably at earliest) or guys who if they recover fully from injuries could jump way up and be ML producers in the next 2-3 years. 31 - 50 will be honorable mentions and crapshoots

So for starters....

Top 15 (potential ML arrival and impact in 2011 or 2012)

1) Kipnis - great bat at an organizational position of weakness, defensive not as much of a concern at 2B
2) Chisenhall - more questions about the glove than the bat, and the glove concerns at 3B have me rate him #2 instead of #1
3) White - may be in Cleveland in 2011, either to start or to relieve, and has 'above average/good' potential in either role
4) Knapp - if he stays healthy, he could breeze into AAA by end of this year and be a candidate for the rotation (or bullpen) in 2012, and has most upside of anyone in the org
5) Pomeranz - have read from a few sources that he was "closest to ML ready' among all 2010 draftees. Well, Chris Sale (if not others) beat him to that punch, but sounds like he could be in AAA by end of year and a starting pitching option perhaps by 2012, eg same basic minor league path as A. White, but perhaps a bit more upside
6) B. Stowell - Hits 100 on the radar gun. breezed through A and AA last year, had minor struggles at AAA but still K'd Could be an 8th inning guy for the Tribe by mid-end of 2011 (sounds like his late season arm issue isn't a major concern.....fingers crossed)
7) Chun Chen - if he keeps it up, he could be in AAA by end of the year and a fringe prospect to make the big league club in 2011. A young catcher already hit over .300 at A level, room for growth in power. Once again, he's a catcher! :)
8) Cord Phelps - could contribute somewhere in Cleveland in 2011. Not a big upside, but could be a slight improvement (offensively, if not defensively) over Donald at 2B or perhaps over Nix/Goedert at 3B. Minimum, should be a very good UIF some day.
9) Zach Putnam - hard throwing bullpen arm with already a half season at AAA. Potential mid/late season addition to 2011 Tribe bullpen
10) Josh Judy - same as Putnam, but could make Tribe bullpen out of spring training, and has an excellent slider. Will see bullpen action with Tribe at some point in 2011
11) Bryson - yep, I'm real high on hard throwing bullpen arms :) Not as likely to see Cleveland's bullpen in 2011, but should do so in 2012
12) Weglarz - has major issues/question marks, 1) health 2) needs to hit more HR (maybe walk a bit less) not just show HR potential. 3) defensive, widely regarded as below average/bad even in left field. Other than 1 year at low or high A, never put together a consistent and healthy season. Wouldn't expect him in Cleveland in 2011, 2012 if we're lucky. May be a poor man's Adam Dunn someday
13) Joe Gardner - reminds me of a Jeanmar Gomez, but I think Gardner is a bit older for his level. Anyway, as a ground ball pitcher, with a good year at AA this year and perhaps a late season call-up to AAA, may be a candidate to start for the Tribe at some point in 2012. To once again compare to Jeanmar, remember Jeanmar pitched his 1st/only full season at AA in 2009 and in 2010 made 15 starts for the Tribe and was competent. A 4th/5th starter upside, but that's OK
14) Matt Packer - many are weary cause he's a relatively soft tossing lefty who came out of nowhere this year. Not an IP at high AA and just a few appearances in AA, but when/where he did pitch, he pitched well. May be a starting option for Cleveland by 2012 or at worst a good lefty on lefty guy out of the pen in 2012
15) Nick Hagadone - hard, hard throwing lefty. Needs to fix control issues to even be a bullpen candidate. If he does get a grip on his control issues, could be a 2012 big league bullpen candidate. Real high upside if he stays healthy and improves his control.

Comments very welcome, just be respectful please :)
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:11 pm

davidkey wrote:Over a couple of separate posts, I'll give my top 50 list, but my rankings are a bit different. than most - my top 15 is based on those closest to the bigs (arrival 2011 or 2012) who have the potential to be important/good/impact MLers. 16-30 are youngsters with high upside (2013 arrivals probably at earliest) or guys who if they recover fully from injuries could jump way up and be ML producers in the next 2-3 years. 31 - 50 will be honorable mentions and crapshoots

So for starters....

1) Kipnis - great bat at an organizational position of weakness, defensive not as much of a concern at 2B
2) Chisenhall - more questions about the glove than the bat, and the glove concerns at 3B have me rate him #2 instead of #1
3) White - may be in Cleveland in 2011, either to start or to relieve, and has 'above average/good' potential in either role
4) Knapp - if he stays healthy, he could breeze into AAA by end of this year and be a candidate for the rotation (or bullpen) in 2012, and has most upside of anyone in the org
5) Pomeranz - have read from a few sources that he was "closest to ML ready' among all 2010 draftees. Well, Chris Sale (if not others) beat him to that punch, but sounds like he could be in AAA by end of year and a starting pitching option perhaps by 2012, eg same basic minor league path as A. White, but perhaps a bit more upside
6) B. Stowell - Hits 100 on the radar gun. breezed through A and AA last year, had minor struggles at AAA but still K'd Could be an 8th inning guy for the Tribe by mid-end of 2011 (sounds like his late season arm issue isn't a major concern.....fingers crossed)
7) Chun Chen - if he keeps it up, he could be in AAA by end of the year and a fringe prospect to make the big league club in 2011. A young catcher already hit over .300 at A level, room for growth in power. Once again, he's a catcher! :)
8) Cord Phelps - could contribute somewhere in Cleveland in 2011. Not a big upside, but could be a slight improvement (offensively, if not defensively) over Donald at 2B or perhaps over Nix/Goedert at 3B. Minimum, should be a very good UIF some day.
9) Zach Putnam - hard throwing bullpen arm with already a half season at AAA. Potential mid/late season addition to 2011 Tribe bullpen
10) Josh Judy - same as Putnam, but could make Tribe bullpen out of spring training, and has an excellent slider. Will see bullpen action with Tribe at some point in 2011
11) Bryson - yep, I'm real high on hard throwing bullpen arms :) Not as likely to see Cleveland's bullpen in 2011, but should do so in 2012
12) Weglarz - has major issues/question marks, 1) health 2) needs to hit more HR (maybe walk a bit less) not just show HR potential. 3) defensive, widely regarded as below average/bad even in left field. Other than 1 year at low or high A, never put together a consistent and healthy season. Wouldn't expect him in Cleveland in 2011, 2012 if we're lucky. May be a poor man's Adam Dunn someday
13) Joe Gardner - reminds me of a Jeanmar Gomez, but I think Gardner is a bit older for his level. Anyway, as a ground ball pitcher, with a good year at AA this year and perhaps a late season call-up to AAA, may be a candidate to start for the Tribe at some point in 2012. To once again compare to Jeanmar, remember Jeanmar pitched his 1st/only full season at AA in 2009 and in 2010 made 15 starts for the Tribe and was competent. A 4th/5th starter upside, but that's OK
14) Matt Packer - many are weary cause he's a relatively soft tossing lefty who came out of nowhere this year. Not an IP at high AA and just a few appearances in AA, but when/where he did pitch, he pitched well. May be a starting option for Cleveland by 2012 or at worst a good lefty on lefty guy out of the pen in 2012
15) Nick Hagadone - hard, hard throwing lefty. Needs to fix control issues to even be a bullpen candidate. If he does get a grip on his control issues, could be a 2012 big league bullpen candidate. Real high upside if he stays healthy and improves his control.

From what I've seen (and heard), Chiz's glove is better than Kip's at this point. Many scouts are still concerned about Kip's glove at 2B (some think he won't stay). I know a lot of Tribe fans like what they've seen from Kipnis at 2B defensively, but he's got a ways to go IMO. Saying defense isn't much of a concern though seems a bit odd (considering that is his biggest concern). No issue with Kipnis over Chiz, but reasoning seems a bit odd to me.

Stowell at 6 seems way too high....especially when you have Hagadone at 15. And while Packer had a nice year....top 15 seems like a major stretch. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess :drinks:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:22 pm

Timmyb wrote:Were is Mr. Bo Greenwell on this list? This site obviously has no idea on who is who in the Indians farm system

Yeah, that is a brutal listing. Way off base and someone with absolutely no knowledge of anything other than a few scouting reports they have read on the web.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby davidkey » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback Hermie. In case I wasn't clear, my personal opinion is that a weak glove at 2B is less harmful than a weak/avg glove at 3B, hence I put Kipnis ahead of Chiz. Also, Kipnis can be a well above avg offensive 2nd baseman, a position where good offense if hard to find, whereas Chisenhall projects as an avg to above avg hitting 3B. As for Stowell, I agree it's a bit extreme to have him that high......but he throws 100 MPH, dominated A and AA, and despite a hiigh ERA at AAA, he struck out well over a batter per inning and may have been affected by arm/elbow twinge (let's hope that's all it was). Anyhoo, I see where a good argument can be made that he shouldnt' be that high. But I'm a Stowell believer...Bryce Stowell is just a cool name for a hard throwing pitcher.....
Hermie13 wrote:
davidkey wrote:Over a couple of separate posts, I'll give my top 50 list, but my rankings are a bit different. than most - my top 15 is based on those closest to the bigs (arrival 2011 or 2012) who have the potential to be important/good/impact MLers. 16-30 are youngsters with high upside (2013 arrivals probably at earliest) or guys who if they recover fully from injuries could jump way up and be ML producers in the next 2-3 years. 31 - 50 will be honorable mentions and crapshoots

So for starters....

From what I've seen (and heard), Chiz's glove is better than Kip's at this point. Many scouts are still concerned about Kip's glove at 2B (some think he won't stay). I know a lot of Tribe fans like what they've seen from Kipnis at 2B defensively, but he's got a ways to go IMO. Saying defense isn't much of a concern though seems a bit odd (considering that is his biggest concern). No issue with Kipnis over Chiz, but reasoning seems a bit odd to me.

Stowell at 6 seems way too high....especially when you have Hagadone at 15. And while Packer had a nice year....top 15 seems like a major stretch. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess :drinks:
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby davidkey » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:57 pm

So for starters....

Once again to clarify...........these top 15 are not necessarily my top 15 for the organizatin overall, but rather are my top 15 that are closest to making a contribution at the ML level in the next 2 years.
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:23 pm

Hi David, I think you have done a really good job of assesing the talent. Personally, I would rate Chisenhall ahead of Kipnis for the same reason you put Kipnis higher-defense. Both are still projectibe but I believe Chisenhall is more advanced at this time and younger. IMO, Kipnis projects excellent range but is far behind Phelps in the technical aspects of 2B at the same age. I believe your comments regarding the relievers are spot on but I have downgraded the group of RH relievers as a whole because of the volume. Unfair of me, perhaps, since Itend to upgrade starters over relievers any way. Haven't quite finished yet and hope my catsitting vacation in NYC will give me the time. IMO, nothing is out of place in your list that warrants criticism. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Davidkey,

If you expand your list to 30, I'll be able to include it 'the Gallery'. There is another thread with submissions from other posters if you wish to see what others have put in. Deadline to submit is mid-January 2011.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby davidkey » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:41 am

thanks for the comments Indians Ink and MadThinker. MadThinker, ask and ye shall receive:

Tribe's 16-30 (essentially based on upside and hopes of reaching bigs by 2013 or 14 at latest)

16tie) Levon Washington, OF - toolsy outfielder to replace Grady or Choo once one or both are gone. Hope he keeps his head on straight and doesn't go Milton Bradley on us.
16tie) ANDY MARTE - he hit .280 with 25 Hrs as a 21 year old at AAA in the past. Need we say more? :) :) Ha! (this one is a joke, of course)
17) Giovanny Urshela, 3B - made it to low A as an 18 year old and held his own. Major upside with bat and glove
18) Tony Wolters, SS - seem to be major questions about his offensive upside, but apparently has good defensive upside. As a 3rd round pick out of H, SS (position of weakness at an organizational level), he should get plenty of chances.
19) Alexander Perez, P - health obviously is the key. If he can get back to good health, he could be a major sleeper to get to the bigs in the next 2-3 years and be a good SP.
20) Felix Sterling, SP - not even 18 yrs old and pitched very well in Arizona League this year.
21) 2011 1st round draft pick - Tribe brass will likely go with best player available, but I really hope the best availalbe is a RH hitting 1B or corner OF with a power bat who could be in the bigs by 2013. Perhaps a Beau Mills kind of guy, only with a better head on his shoulders, eg not prone to getting into fights in bars and resting on his community college laurels.
22) Kyle Blair, SP - high draft pick, what little I've read about him doesn't seem to be too glowing, but based on draft position, he must have something going for him. Potential back of rotation starter, maybe bullpen arm
23) Alex Lavisky, C - first of all, isn't he out all of 2011 b/c of a surgery? Whatever the case, seems to have very high offensive and defensive upside, and is a catcher. Stay healthy Alex!
24) Kelvin de la Cruz - still young and just one year removed from TJ surgery. A lefty who can hit up to 94 on the gun....a rare commodity. Can't make much of poor 2010 season as it was 1st year back from TJ surgery. They say they don't really get back to 'normal' until 2nd year after surgery, so this year for him at Akron will be huge. Potential middle of rotation lefty if healthy and regains his control; in bad case scenario, becomes a Rafael Perez type lefty out of the Cleveland bullpen some day.
25) Giovanni Soto, P - held his own at Lake County at 19 yrs old. Comes from Tigers system, which spits out good pitchers left and right. Lots of upside and potential mid rotation starter down the line.
26) Roberto Perez, C - apparently could catch at big league level now. If he develops the bat, he could push his way to AA or AAA very quickly and be on the big league radar in the next 2 years. Could also be trade bait, since every team in the bigs would love to have a great defensive catcher to at least be a back-up. Likewise, could make Marson very expendable, since Lou M. could already be considered a quality ML back-up catcher based on his defense.
27) Abner Abreu, OF - still young and very raw, but power and speed potential on his side, and an OF, where we don't have an awful lot of potential impact talent in the minors. Gotta cut down on the K's and stay healthy
28) Elvis Araujo, SP - his name is Elvis
29) Robby Aviles, P - don't know anything about him except, if I'm not mistaken, Cleveland enticed him with a much higher than slot signing bonus. Not sure if that was b/c of the threat to go to college or injury issues (?), but must have a pretty high upside.
30) Hector Rondon, P - won't really be back in the picture until 2012 at earliest, but IF he can come back from injury, could still turn out to be a mid/back rotation starter or bullpen guy in Cleveland.
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby OhioBaseball » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:57 pm

davidkey,

Thanks for putting the list together. Enjoyed reading it. Please don't take this as criticism of the list, but I just wanted to run my mouth (as I do often on this forum);

Regarding Felix Sterling, Tony posted a video of him. While he's actually got a good delivery, arm stroke and apparent velo, I don't think many 17 year olds fresh out of the Dominican Republic look like him. He's quite overweight for a Dominican of his age, particularly in the lower half. I hate to throw generalities on these guys b/c it's not fair, but there's reason to raise a brow on this. I wouldn't be surprised if he's actually 21 or 22 and is a failed prospect from another organization. I just don't see much projection in Sterling.

I just looked and I think managers in the Arizona League feel similarly to me, as he was excluded from the top 20 Baseball America league prospect list. Sterling threw 50+ innings and was effective, so its not like he flew under the radar. I wouldn't expect much out of this Sterling guy -- don't think he's all that much of a prospect.

On a positive note...

Who is this Ronnie Rodriguez guy?? I've never heard of him, seen him on any rosters, but the guy looks pretty darn impressive in the video Tony put up. Lighter athletic build, quick wrists, very nice bat speed and some power in his swing. There is athleticism there. He looks a little shortish, but I think he looks like a prospect to follow. If I could get some information on him it'd be appreciated

This guy Erik Gonzalez interests me. Can't see his infield skills or how well he runs, but offensively he's got potential in his swing. There is some potential power in his swing with very good extension, clears his hips; those doubles could turn in to HR's down the road. Can't see him play D or run, which is important when determining prospect status, but at the plate I see some potential.

Alex Monsalve is a good upside talent if he's able to improve his ability to hit breaking balls (may never come).

Elvis Araujo doesn't have a super loose body that oozes with projectability, but he's got a very nice delivery and gets good downhill leverage on his pitches. He looks like a good pitching prospect to me.

These are all based off very small samples from online videos, but you can understand a guy's athleticism and potential from these kind of snippets. Thanks to Tony for posting these videos so we can get some looks at these new guys!
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby davidkey » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:57 pm

thanks for the feedback......of course I had no clue about those not so minor details about Sterling and his age. And just as an FYI to all, I'm not really all that terribly sensitive, as my requests for respect in your comments might indicate. I'm still feeling out this whole thing after having had bad experiences on 'other' forums where the posters really were more interested in arguing for arguing's sake and taking personal pot-shots at the posters who posted something that they disagreed with. I felt like I was caught in a Jim Rome show, where if you didn't 'bring it' strong enough, then the other posters were chomping at the bit to rip you a new one.

Anyway.....I don't mind disagreement, and I actually love a respectful debate. So......any comments on me putting Marte at #16? :)

OhioBaseball wrote:davidkey,

Thanks for putting the list together. Enjoyed reading it. Please don't take this as criticism of the list, but I just wanted to run my mouth (as I do often on this forum);

Regarding Felix Sterling, Tony posted a video of him. While he's actually got a good delivery, arm stroke and apparent velo, I don't think many 17 year olds fresh out of the Dominican Republic look like him. He's quite overweight for a Dominican of his age, particularly in the lower half. I hate to throw generalities on these guys b/c it's not fair, but there's reason to raise a brow on this. I wouldn't be surprised if he's actually 21 or 22 and is a failed prospect from another organization. I just don't see much projection in Sterling.

I just looked and I think managers in the Arizona League feel similarly to me, as he was excluded from the top 20 Baseball America league prospect list. Sterling threw 50+ innings and was effective, so its not like he flew under the radar. I wouldn't expect much out of this Sterling guy -- don't think he's all that much of a prospect.

On a positive note...

Who is this Ronnie Rodriguez guy?? I've never heard of him, seen him on any rosters, but the guy looks pretty darn impressive in the video Tony put up. Lighter athletic build, quick wrists, very nice bat speed and some power in his swing. There is athleticism there. He looks a little shortish, but I think he looks like a prospect to follow. If I could get some information on him it'd be appreciated

This guy Erik Gonzalez interests me. Can't see his infield skills or how well he runs, but offensively he's got potential in his swing. There is some potential power in his swing with very good extension, clears his hips; those doubles could turn in to HR's down the road. Can't see him play D or run, which is important when determining prospect status, but at the plate I see some potential.

Alex Monsalve is a good upside talent if he's able to improve his ability to hit breaking balls (may never come).

Elvis Araujo doesn't have a super loose body that oozes with projectability, but he's got a very nice delivery and gets good downhill leverage on his pitches. He looks like a good pitching prospect to me.

These are all based off very small samples from online videos, but you can understand a guy's athleticism and potential from these kind of snippets. Thanks to Tony for posting these videos so we can get some looks at these new guys!
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:03 am

..Anyway.....I don't mind disagreement, and I actually love a respectful debate. So......any comments on me putting Marte at #16?... :)
Are you kidding??.. Hermie thinks Andy "Brooksie" Marte is the next Brooks Robinson with the glove.. well deserving of this ranking (provided he's with another club) !!.. :lol:

Yes.. a healthy debate is always welcome.. sarcasm/irony, while sometimes difficult to spot (See brooksie comment above) can lead to a bit of ruffled feathers.. This is where Tony earns the BIG MONEY saying.. ".. protect yourself at all times, go to your respective corners.. & and come out swinging !!...." (Also good advice for PRONK to start the 2011 season)...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:59 pm

Happy holidays to one and all from snowed in NYC! Let's start with the qualifiers. I didn't rate players I did not feel comfortable rating because I did not see enough to form an opinion. The most prominent are Alex Lavisky and Felix Sterling. Three injured pitchers, Robby Aviles, Hector Rondon, Alex Perez, were qualified but since none of the three are expected to open the season they have been downgraded and did not make the cut. Josh Rodriguez made the list.

1. Lonnie Chisenhall
2. Alex White
3. Jason Kipnis
4. Drew Pomeranz
5. Nick Weglarz
6. Jason Knapp
7. LeVon Washington
8. Nick Hagadone
9, Cord Phelps
10. Chun-Hsui Chen
11. Bryce Stowell
12. Tony Wolters
13. Matt Packer
14. Scott Barnes
15. Joe Gardner
16. Kyle Blair
17. Zach Putnam
18, Kelvin De La Cruz
19. Rob Bryson
20, T J House
21. Austin Adams
22. T J McFarland
23, Josh Judy
24, Corey Kluber
25. Vinnie Pestano
26, Clayton Cook
27. Giovanny Urshela
28. Trey Haley
29. Jared Goedert
30. Giovani Soto

Hardest player to leave off is Bryan Price but I did not like what I saw in the AFL, Position that got screwed is CF. They are all the same and I got tired of trying to figure out who was best and said the hell with the lot, If you hate any pick after 15, plug in any CF in the system. One probably belongs between 16-30. Hey Tony, what are we going to argue about without Rivero and Gomez to kick around?
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby elrod enchilada » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:48 pm

Great list. Glad to see Austin Adams getting some well-deserved love.

Just wondering, after Washington, how do you rank our CFs?
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:48 am

elrod enchilada wrote:Great list. Glad to see Austin Adams getting some well-deserved love.

Thanks ee, Adams might have gotten more love if I truly felt he could stay at starter.

I don't see Washington staying in CF but that is strictly a guess at this time. IMO Jordan Henry is the best CF and Carrera is the best OF playing CF. Call me crazy but I think Delvi Cid has the greatest upside and he might get cut. Like I said, I cannot sort it out. :drinks:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby elrod enchilada » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:06 am

Yes, Delvi Cid! Plus Greenwell played some CF last year, and there is Tyler Holt, and deep in the bowels of the system, the rather intriguing Luigi Rodriguez.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:42 pm

elrod enchilada wrote:Yes, Delvi Cid! Plus Greenwell played some CF last year, and there is Tyler Holt, and deep in the bowels of the system, the rather intriguing Luigi Rodriguez.

Greenwell is a great athlete but he cannot cover the ground of the others IMO. My early assessment of Holt is that he looks less capable on CF defense than Cid. I believe he is more capable at the plate but I do not see him stealing 70 bases. Holt is in my amorphous 31-40 list. Cannot hazard a guess on Rodriguez. Haven't seen him play. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby elrod enchilada » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:53 pm

muchas gracias. I really appreciate your insights.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby osueddy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:28 am

indianinkslinger wrote:
elrod enchilada wrote:Great list. Glad to see Austin Adams getting some well-deserved love.

Thanks ee, Adams might have gotten more love if I truly felt he could stay at starter.

I don't see Washington staying in CF but that is strictly a guess at this time. IMO Jordan Henry is the best CF and Carrera is the best OF playing CF. Call me crazy but I think Delvi Cid has the greatest upside and he might get cut. Like I said, I cannot sort it out. :drinks:

Cid does strike out a lot, but with his speed and young age (21) there's no way he is cut.
osueddy
Draft Prospect

Postby davidkey » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:05 pm

Here's my full top 30, and 10 honorable mentions just for the heck of it. Reminder....my top 15 are based on those ready to make the quickest contribution at the big league level in next 2 years or so (guys w/ health issues left out); the next 15 are based on projection for 2013 and beyond (including guys who might make it sooner based on health, eg Rondon, A. Perez). All feedback welcome

6) B. Stowell - Hits 100 on the radar gun. breezed through A and AA last year, had minor struggles at AAA but still K'd about 27 in 16 IP at Columbus. Could be an 8th inning guy for the Tribe by mid-end of 2011 (sounds like his late season arm issue isn't a major concern.....fingers crossed)

Numbers 16-30 (based on upside and hopes of reaching bigs by 2013 or 14 at latest)

16th) Levon Washington, OF - toolsy outfielder to replace Grady or Choo once one or both are gone. Hope he keeps his head on straight and doesn't go Milton Bradley on us.
17) Giovanny Urshela, 3B - made it to low A as an 18 year old and held his own. Major upside with bat and glove
18) Tony Wolters, SS - seem to be major questions about his offensive upside, but apparently has good defensive upside. As a 3rd round pick out of H, SS (position of weakness at an organizational level), he should get plenty of chances.
19) Alexander Perez, P - health obviously is the key. If he can get back to good health, he could be a major sleeper to get to the bigs in the next 2-3 years and be a good SP.
20) Giovanni Soto, P - held his own at Lake County at 19 yrs old. Comes from Tigers system, which spits out good pitchers left and right. Lots of upside and potential mid rotation starter down the line.
21) George Springer, OF (2011 1st round draft pick) – A power RH bat who can play a corner outfield position, or presumably, become a 1B. This gives us, most importantly, a power RH bat (!) for either 1B (esp. if Matt LaP doesn’t pan out) or a power RH bat for the OF, which we obviously lack. A college player, may be big league ready by 2013 or 14.
22) Kyle Blair, SP - high draft pick, what little I've read about him doesn't seem to be too glowing, but based on draft position, he must have something going for him. Potential back of rotation starter, maybe bullpen arm
23) Alex Lavisky, C - first of all, isn't he out all of 2011 b/c of a surgery? Whatever the case, seems to have very high offensive and defensive upside, and is a catcher. Stay healthy Alex!
24) Kelvin de la Cruz - still young and just one year removed from TJ surgery. A lefty who can hit up to 94 on the gun....a rare commodity. Can't make much of poor 2010 season as it was 1st year back from TJ surgery. They say they don't really get back to 'normal' until 2nd year after surgery, so this year for him at Akron will be huge. Potential middle of rotation lefty if healthy and regains his control; in bad case scenario, becomes a Rafael Perez type lefty out of the Cleveland bullpen some day.
25) Roberto Perez, C - apparently could catch at big league level now. If he develops the bat, he could push his way to AA or AAA very quickly and be on the big league radar in the next 2 years. Could also be trade bait, since every team in the bigs would love to have a great defensive catcher to at least be a back-up. Likewise, could make Marson very expendable, since Lou M. could already be considered a quality ML back-up catcher based on his defense.
26) Abner Abreu, OF - still young and very raw, but power and speed potential on his side, and an OF, where we don't have an awful lot of potential impact talent in the minors. Gotta cut down on the K's and stay healthy
27) Elvis Araujo, SP - his name is Elvis
28) Robby Aviles, P - don't know anything about him except, if I'm not mistaken, Cleveland enticed him with a much higher than slot signing bonus. Not sure if that was b/c of the threat to go to college or injury issues (?), but must have a pretty high upside.
29) Hector Rondon, P - won't really be back in the picture until 2012 at earliest, but IF he can come back from injury, could still turn out to be a mid/back rotation starter or bullpen guy in Cleveland.
30) Bo Greenwell, OF – has shown improvement in all categories (avg, hr, BB/K ratio, etc) in all 3 of his professional seasons. Just turned 22, would hope to see him in Akron sometime this year.

Honorable Mentions: Tyler Holt, Austin Adams, Bryan Price, Felix Sterling, Chris Jones, Tony Dischler, Kyle Bellows, Ezequiel Carrera, T.J. House, Cole Cook
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby osueddy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:51 pm

Did you really rank someone that we haven't drafted (Springer) ahead of Austin Adams?
osueddy
Draft Prospect

Postby davidkey » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:49 am

Yes, sir, I did.....it's called thinking outside the box (but also reflects the reality of Austin Adams...see below). That's why I listed my top 30 not in direct order of potential but rather by the 2 divisions that I explained. I enjoy all of these lists and thought I'd tweak mine a bit, even to the point of including a future draft choice.

I do have to admit I don't understand all of the love for Austin Adams. He put up very good numbers in about 12 games at Kinston at the age of 23....and he's now 24. He's 5 foot 11 inches, throws RH, and projects as a reliever. He does not stand out in any way. We've got at least 6 relief arms ahead of him in the prospect pecking order, (Stowell, Putnam, Judy, Bryson, CC Lee....I think I may have forgotten him in my list, and if I did, then I'd slot him in ahead of Adams; N. Hagadone), and obviously that doesn't include youngsters who've gotten a cup of coffee with the Tribe, such as a Vinnie Pestano or Justin Germano. If Adams can come close to doing what he did those 2 months at Kinston for a full year in Akron, then I will be able to understand the lovefest.
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby theshow » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:16 am

davidkey wrote:bviously that doesn't include youngsters who've gotten a cup of coffee with the Tribe, such as a Vinnie Pestano or Justin Germano.

Justin Germano is 28 years old, and has been stinking it up as a major league picture since he first started pitching for the San Diego Padres in 2004.

davidkey wrote:18) Tony Wolters, SS - seem to be major questions about his offensive upside, but apparently has good defensive upside. As a 3rd round pick out of H, SS (position of weakness at an organizational level), he should get plenty of chances.

Actually there are more questions about Wolters defense than his offense. While his power is not a plus tool, he seems to profile as an ideal #2 hitter. Most however feel he doesn't have the arm for SS, and will have to shift over to 2B. However, at 2nd he could be a plus defender.

davidkey wrote:Robby Aviles, P - don't know anything about him except, if I'm not mistaken, Cleveland enticed him with a much higher than slot signing bonus.

Actually most on this site anticipated that he would end up with a pretty hefty signing bonus, being a high upside high school arm. However, due to his injury he was actually signed to a pretty modest signing bonus of $150,000. Slightly overslot, but very minimal.

Sorry to correct you David Key. Just want to make sure everything checks out.
theshow
Rookie Baller

Postby davidkey » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:21 pm

theshow wrote:
davidkey wrote:bviously that doesn't include youngsters who've gotten a cup of coffee with the Tribe, such as a Vinnie Pestano or Justin Germano.

Justin Germano is 28 years old, and has been stinking it up as a major league picture since he first started pitching for the San Diego Padres in 2004.

davidkey wrote:18) Tony Wolters, SS - seem to be major questions about his offensive upside, but apparently has good defensive upside. As a 3rd round pick out of H, SS (position of weakness at an organizational level), he should get plenty of chances.

Actually there are more questions about Wolters defense than his offense. While his power is not a plus tool, he seems to profile as an ideal #2 hitter. Most however feel he doesn't have the arm for SS, and will have to shift over to 2B. However, at 2nd he could be a plus defender.

davidkey wrote:Robby Aviles, P - don't know anything about him except, if I'm not mistaken, Cleveland enticed him with a much higher than slot signing bonus.

Actually most on this site anticipated that he would end up with a pretty hefty signing bonus, being a high upside high school arm. However, due to his injury he was actually signed to a pretty modest signing bonus of $150,000. Slightly overslot, but very minimal.

Sorry to correct you David Key. Just want to make sure everything checks out.

No need to apologize, I appreciate the corrections/comments. We all should also keep in mind that there are so many sites out there with their own scouting reports that what I read may be different from what others read. I don't watch video clips of players b/c I am not a trained scout...so I typically go by the other main currency for evaluating players, particularly upper level players, which is their stats. As the saying goes, the numbers don't lie, (except in young/developing players or those returning from injury.) Hence Kipnis gets the #1 nod over Chisenhall for me, and Bryce Stowell gets in my top 10. When it comes to Low A and below, I realize there's a lot of projection going on since those players are so young, and hence, numbers don't tell the whole story. But in my top 15, it's mainly about numbers (Hagadone being the exception to the rule)
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:03 pm

davidkey wrote:Yes, sir, I did.....it's called thinking outside the box (but also reflects the reality of Austin Adams...see below). That's why I listed my top 30 not in direct order of potential but rather by the 2 divisions that I explained. I enjoy all of these lists and thought I'd tweak mine a bit, even to the point of including a future draft choice.

I do have to admit I don't understand all of the love for Austin Adams. He put up very good numbers in about 12 games at Kinston at the age of 23....and he's now 24. He's 5 foot 11 inches, throws RH, and projects as a reliever. He does not stand out in any way. We've got at least 6 relief arms ahead of him in the prospect pecking order, (Stowell, Putnam, Judy, Bryson, CC Lee....I think I may have forgotten him in my list, and if I did, then I'd slot him in ahead of Adams; N. Hagadone), and obviously that doesn't include youngsters who've gotten a cup of coffee with the Tribe, such as a Vinnie Pestano or Justin Germano. If Adams can come close to doing what he did those 2 months at Kinston for a full year in Akron, then I will be able to understand the lovefest.

Maybe I can shed shed some light david. My observations are much the same as yours but I developed some respect watching his performance at Kinston. Not enough to convince me he is a lock for starter but enough to convince me he has a chance. He has a plus fastball which he throws for strikes. He has an above average breaking ball which has decent command and late break. His change requires work but has sound fundamentals. He does not give up a lot of HRs and has a good K/BB ratio. He is effective against LH hitting and throws a solid 5 when starting. Even at his age, that is not bad for a 1st time starter. Like you, I am ambivalent about high placement but there is some tools. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby elrod enchilada » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:22 pm

If I am not mistaken, Adams only started pitching at the college level in his junior or even senior year. So while he is old for a prospect, he is also very young for a prospect, if that makes any sense. That is part of my thinking that he may have more upside than otherwise.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:54 am

OhioBaseball wrote:On a positive note...

Tony, I just saw your Twitter feed about Ronnie Rodriguez and Luigi Rodriguez. Ronnie is the guy that interests me; do you know much more about him? I was going to ask b/c I didn't see him in the middle infield overview you did (I suppose I was assuming he was a middle infielder; a little smallish to be an OF). After watching your video (thanks a ton for doing that stuff), I couldn't find a single bit of info on the guy (no age, signing bonus, position, stats) via the net. While I don't think Ronnie looks a tremendous prospect (kind of smallish), I think the guy has some skills and Indians fans need to know about him b/c the Indians haven't had many athletic SS's with potential with the bat in the system in a while.

Luigi looks really small and quite bad at the plate from the left side (his swing is all wrists). He looks a lot better as a RH hitter and he does have good bat speed and a nice swing, but projecting him out to be a starting major leaguer may be difficult with his real lack of size. Regardless, if the guy is a true 80 runner, he may have a chance.

The Latin signings I am most excited about are Ronnie Rodriguez, Erik Gonzalez and Elvis Araujo. I really like Gonzalez' offensive potential, but while the guy's body isn't bad, it's just atypical for a 2b. He's got a long legged, wiry frame (think Alfonso Soriano), which I think is good b/c he looks strong and although he's not super athletic, I think he's quite projectable from a power standpoint. Have never seen him take infield, so I don't know, but I kind of see Gonzalez being an offensive player where scouts are somewhat unsure of when it comes to defensive position. Regardless, I like the bat.

I realize its probably difficult to get info on these guys (Ronnie Rodriguez), but thanks for anything if you're able to provide it.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:55 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:Tony, I just saw your Twitter feed about Ronnie Rodriguez and Luigi Rodriguez. Ronnie is the guy that interests me; do you know much more about him? I was going to ask b/c I didn't see him in the middle infield overview you did (I suppose I was assuming he was a middle infielder; a little smallish to be an OF).

Indians just signed Ronnie in September. That video I did from Instructs was literally shot a week after he signed. That's why there is no info on him. :biggrin:

Indians are VERY excited about him....claim he may be the best Latin player in their program. Lots of tools at SS, good arm, and power potential. I'll have a detailed writeup in my upcoming book, and he'll be ranked in my new Latin Top 15 (expanded from 10) for guys coming over stateside for the first time. I haven't settled on it yet, but he will be #1 or #2.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:09 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
OhioBaseball wrote:Tony, I just saw your Twitter feed about Ronnie Rodriguez and Luigi Rodriguez. Ronnie is the guy that interests me; do you know much more about him? I was going to ask b/c I didn't see him in the middle infield overview you did (I suppose I was assuming he was a middle infielder; a little smallish to be an OF).

Indians just signed Ronnie in September. That video I did from Instructs was literally shot a week after he signed. That's why there is no info on him. :biggrin:

Indians are VERY excited about him....claim he may be the best Latin player in their program. Lots of tools at SS, good arm, and power potential. I'll have a detailed writeup in my upcoming book, and he'll be ranked in my new Latin Top 15 (expanded from 10) for guys coming over stateside for the first time. I haven't settled on it yet, but he will be #1 or #2.

How do the Indians plan to use Ronnie next season? AZL? LC?
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:35 pm

A.Zajac wrote:How do the Indians plan to use Ronnie next season? AZL? LC?

He is coming stateside. He'll go to EST, and then play in AZL. Similar to J. Martinez, Romero, and a few others from last year.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:18 pm

Chiz ranked 36th according to Mayo. Still waiting on rest of list to see if any more Indians show up.

EDIT: Well, that's it... No love for Kip or White. Or even Pomeranz..
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby npc29 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:44 pm

Not sure if this is the place for it, but Keith Law put out his organizational rankings. Available only to insiders... http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/insider/ ... LBOrgRanks

He has the Indians at 17th.. Not even in the top half? I know he says he bases it off "high-impact" talent and top prospects and the number of players he thinks will contribute greatly on the major league level..

But... Most of the other people or places who have done this have the Indians fairly high... Law has his opinion and I respect it, but I'm dissatisfied with the lack of reasoning as to why they're so low. He kinda briefly highlights a few things, mentions Kipnis.. The frustrating thing with Law is, I bet if you asked him on twitter why he has them so low, he'd be snarky about it and not really give you an answer.

This sort of brings up a question I've been thinking though. Is the system as a whole rank a little lower than we all might think? I expected Law to short-change the Indians, but wasn't exactly expecting 17.. I think it is better than more than half the organizations in the game.. So is it in that top-five range that some people have it at, or is it a little lower?
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:21 pm

npc29 wrote:This sort of brings up a question I've been thinking though. Is the system as a whole rank a little lower than we all might think? I expected Law to short-change the Indians, but wasn't exactly expecting 17.. I think it is better than more than half the organizations in the game.. So is it in that top-five range that some people have it at, or is it a little lower?

I respect Law and the very good work he does, but he is off his rocker here.

Do I think people over-rate the Tribe's system? Yes. I think it is more in the 7 to 10 range. The lack of high end talent is noted....but that is always very deceiving. High end talent can often materialize as the season progresses. Who thought Joe Gardner was a Top 10 pitcher going into last season? Who thought Carlos Santana was a Top 10 prospect, let along Top 20 prospect in all of baseball going into the 2008 season?
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:26 pm

npc29 wrote:Not sure if this is the place for it, but Keith Law put out his organizational rankings. Available only to insiders... http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/insider/ ... LBOrgRanks

He has the Indians at 17th.. Not even in the top half? I know he says he bases it off "high-impact" talent and top prospects and the number of players he thinks will contribute greatly on the major league level..

But... Most of the other people or places who have done this have the Indians fairly high... Law has his opinion and I respect it, but I'm dissatisfied with the lack of reasoning as to why they're so low. He kinda briefly highlights a few things, mentions Kipnis.. The frustrating thing with Law is, I bet if you asked him on twitter why he has them so low, he'd be snarky about it and not really give you an answer.

This sort of brings up a question I've been thinking though. Is the system as a whole rank a little lower than we all might think? I expected Law to short-change the Indians, but wasn't exactly expecting 17.. I think it is better than more than half the organizations in the game.. So is it in that top-five range that some people have it at, or is it a little lower?

I know that there's been some draft issues in the latter part of the last decade, but 17th? :shok:
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby elrod enchilada » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:03 pm

The system has its clear weakness: right-handed middle of the order bats is a glaring problem. The overall position player talent is above average and much better than it has been since the 1990s, but it is not top 5 material.

But as I look at the pitching staffs in AAA, AA and A+ for this coming season, starters and bullpen, all I can say is that if this is the 17th best system, or even based just on pitching the 10th best system, then MLB is about to enter a golden age of pitching that will make 1968 look like 1998 by comparison. We have a good 20 arms on those three clubs and in the system as a whole that are very legitimate prospects right now for good MLB careers. If only 6 or 7 make it, and 2 or 3 strike it big, and that seems to me a realistic, if not conservative, guesstimate, the Tribe is going to be flush until they hit free agency.

I cannot remember any Tribe farm system coming remotely close to this level of pitching talent in the past, except maybe in the early-mid 1960s.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby Big League Choo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:51 pm

From Keith Law's comment section regarding the Indians: "kirschda: I couldn't possibly see them in the top 10. Based on which guys? They have 3 in my top 100, and I'm not sure there's a major star in that system."

He also assumes White and Hagadone end up in the bullpen.
Big League Choo
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:05 pm

Big League Choo wrote:From Keith Law's comment section regarding the Indians: "kirschda: I couldn't possibly see them in the top 10. Based on which guys? They have 3 in my top 100, and I'm not sure there's a major star in that system."

Shows why I continue to just ignore the guy. His continued hate for this organization shows quite clearly. Fine, if he wants to project White to the 'pen, IMO, you still have Chisenhall, Kipnis, Pomeranz, .. and somewhat Knapp who eventually have that "it" factor.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:58 pm

A.Zajac wrote:Chiz ranked 36th according to Mayo. Still waiting on rest of list to see if any more Indians show up.

EDIT: Well, that's it... No love for Kip or White. Or even Pomeranz..

Just to show somewhat how effed up(IMO) those rankings are, comp Alex White & Christian Friedrich, using any criteria that you choose.

Friedrich was highly ranked the yr he was drafted with a caution that he looked like an injury waiting to happen. Since then he's had three injuries. I'd take Alex White over two of Friedrich. Also, Ackley's #5 and Kipnis is nowhere to be found? And they're citing Ackley's AFL stats? Really meaningful. Now they have to explain why Cord Phelps isn't on the list after HIS AFL season.
A.Zajac wrote:
Big League Choo wrote:From Keith Law's comment section regarding the Indians: "kirschda: I couldn't possibly see them in the top 10. Based on which guys? They have 3 in my top 100, and I'm not sure there's a major star in that system."

Shows why I continue to just ignore the guy. His continued hate for this organization shows quite clearly. Fine, if he wants to project White to the 'pen, IMO, you still have Chisenhall, Kipnis, Pomeranz, .. and somewhat Knapp who eventually have that "it" factor.

They talked during the show about guys that could move into the top prospects list next year and the whole time I'm thinking of Knapp. Knapp's got all of the tools to become a #1 SP. Plus Pomeranz isn't that far behind.

I'm kinda glad that Law doesn't recognize the talent in the system. He'll just look that much more foolish next year.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:52 pm

I can't disagree too much, really I only see 3 top 100 guys. White I think is a MOR to bOR and Knapp hasnt shown enough to make a top 100. To say he hates the tribe is crazy, last year he had us top 5 and had 5 or6 guys in the top 100. He was the only person who person who ever mentioned adam abreau in the national media. He was also the first person I heard talk about Wegz. If you read his stuff, he scouts on what he sees alone. If some oen had s hit night then he ranks him that way. He admits to be off a lot. I still think the issue is we have 3 to 5 guys who have above average regular potential as starters or starting pitching. Lets face it the 6th best guy in KC might be first in our system. I think 17 is crazy low, we should be about 11th, but right now this is a team that has no blue chippers in it. Not one guy who is a top 30 prospect in all of baseball and that does hurt your over all ranks
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:35 pm

jellis wrote:I can't disagree too much, really I only see 3 top 100 guys. White I think is a MOR to bOR and Knapp hasnt shown enough to make a top 100. To say he hates the tribe is crazy, last year he had us top 5 and had 5 or6 guys in the top 100. He was the only person who person who ever mentioned adam abreau in the national media. He was also the first person I heard talk about Wegz. If you read his stuff, he scouts on what he sees alone. If some oen had s hit night then he ranks him that way. He admits to be off a lot. I still think the issue is we have 3 to 5 guys who have above average regular potential as starters or starting pitching. Lets face it the 6th best guy in KC might be first in our system. I think 17 is crazy low, we should be about 11th, but right now this is a team that has no blue chippers in it. Not one guy who is a top 30 prospect in all of baseball and that does hurt your over all ranks

Have to agree to disagree. Mike Minor is ranked #21 & Alex White is unranked. I saw both of them pitch quite a few times in college & would take White over Minor, based on their college performances. The Minor buzz is based on 6 starts in Gwinett. The rest of the year, 23 starts in the Southern League & MLB, he pitched like the Mike Minor I saw at Vandy. As an aside, Alex White is not a BOR pitcher. Any Tribe fan who thinks so will be pleasantly surprised next year.

Knapp is a candidate for next year's list, not this year's. Pomeranz has as much right to be ranked as high as Taillon, if not more, based on success at a much higher level, similar stuff, and the fact that he's a lefty. Both have exactly zero pro experience. LeVon Washington is a former 1st round pick with as much talent as lots of guys on that list. I think that Kipnis is as good as Ackley now, and may be a better pro. I don't think that anyone in the FO would call KC as offer them anyone in our minor league system for John Lamb. YMMV.

I don't know if Law hates the Tribe or not. I know he likes to be a contrarian. If he bases his opinion on one look at a guy he's nuts. If he mentioned ADAM Abreu he might have been talking about Abner Abreu, but who knows. Manny Acta mentioned lots of minor league specs in his job interview but he didn't really know them from Abner...I mean Adam.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:44 am

Rocky55 wrote:
jellis wrote:I can't disagree too much, really I only see 3 top 100 guys. White I think is a MOR to bOR and Knapp hasnt shown enough to make a top 100. To say he hates the tribe is crazy, last year he had us top 5 and had 5 or6 guys in the top 100. He was the only person who person who ever mentioned adam abreau in the national media. He was also the first person I heard talk about Wegz. If you read his stuff, he scouts on what he sees alone. If some oen had s hit night then he ranks him that way. He admits to be off a lot. I still think the issue is we have 3 to 5 guys who have above average regular potential as starters or starting pitching. Lets face it the 6th best guy in KC might be first in our system. I think 17 is crazy low, we should be about 11th, but right now this is a team that has no blue chippers in it. Not one guy who is a top 30 prospect in all of baseball and that does hurt your over all ranks

Have to agree to disagree. Mike Minor is ranked #21 & Alex White is unranked. I saw both of them pitch quite a few times in college & would take White over Minor, based on their college performances. The Minor buzz is based on 6 starts in Gwinett. The rest of the year, 23 starts in the Southern League & MLB, he pitched like the Mike Minor I saw at Vandy. As an aside, Alex White is not a BOR pitcher. Any Tribe fan who thinks so will be pleasantly surprised next year.

Knapp is a candidate for next year's list, not this year's. Pomeranz has as much right to be ranked as high as Taillon, if not more, based on success at a much higher level, similar stuff, and the fact that he's a lefty. Both have exactly zero pro experience. LeVon Washington is a former 1st round pick with as much talent as lots of guys on that list. I think that Kipnis is as good as Ackley now, and may be a better pro. I don't think that anyone in the FO would call KC as offer them anyone in our minor league system for John Lamb. YMMV.

I don't know if Law hates the Tribe or not. I know he likes to be a contrarian. If he bases his opinion on one look at a guy he's nuts. If he mentioned ADAM Abreu he might have been talking about Abner Abreu, but who knows. Manny Acta mentioned lots of minor league specs in his job interview but he didn't really know them from Abner...I mean Adam.

sorry I missed type, we all do it. If that's going to be a crux point that's fine. I don't see it with White, that is just me. I don't see anythign that is going to make him better than a 3rd starter. I have a hard time ranking anyone who hasnt actually played this year when you make a top 100 in baseball list, but on that note I think Pom is good enough to make it. Pom, CHiz, and Kipnis are the only for sures for me. I also don't think Minor is a top 50 guy, he will be a decent starter but his spilts from the second half exposed that he wasn't the player some people thought he might be. Washington is very interesting, but I want to see him play before I anoint him one of the best in all of baseball the arm is an issue, and could end up leaving him position less. I am not knocking the system, but I just think we as fans tend to talk up our own guys
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:37 am

Where did Law rank the Indians last year?
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:41 am

Nevermind. Law had the Indians 4th last year....and 17th this year? After one of the top drafts last year and losing no one to rookie eligibility except Santana?

Um-kay.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby theshow » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:11 am

Carrasco, Brantley, Rondon got injured, but for the most part yes 17 seems like quite the steep drop off.
theshow
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:16 am

Keith Law could be doing his organizational prospect ranking the same way Fielding Metrics are determined: By gosh and by golly. The amount of time and effort it takes to see each team's highly rated prospects is an enormous undertaking. For the Indians rating by Law, it wouldn't be a huge surprise to find out, this one was mailed in.. The 17th ranked system?.. void of impact position players?... barren of blue-chip prospects?.. Sounds like an article/rating that Hoynes would collaborate with McI'm-a-moron and Pluto on. After the dust settles, do these kinds of ranking really mean anything?

Didn't think so....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby danh8 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:29 am

TonyIPI wrote:Nevermind. Law had the Indians 4th last year....and 17th this year? After one of the top drafts last year and losing no one to rookie eligibility except Santana?

Um-kay.

Makes absolutely no sense to me, but with him mentioning that he weights high level talent heavily, the ascension of Santana was the key variable to him.

Although the Indians lack the premiere high level prospects, it's the pure volume of high pitching talenbt in all areas that lends to us having a strong future, IMHO. We all know the "hit" rate is low, but having the volumes of talent we have will lend to us hitting on a strong number in to he very near future.

Hoping that we happen to get a Jason Knapp to develop into that classic #1, though.
danh8
Rookie Baller

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk