RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Indians sign Jesse English

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Indians sign Jesse English

Postby GhostofTedCox » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:17 pm

MLBTR is reporting the Indians signed LHP Jesse English to a minor league contract. He was released by the Nats last November. We did this because,,,,,?
I thought it was the Acta Washington influence. But he signed with Washington after Manny left.

I'm not sure were this guy would fit in our organization. Could it be we are looking to trade a LHP for a backup C?
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: Indians sign Jesse English

Postby Edible14 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:56 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:MLBTR is reporting the Indians signed LHP Jesse English to a minor league contract. He was released by the Nats last November. We did this because,,,,,?
I thought it was the Acta Washington influence. But he signed with Washington after Manny left.

I'm not sure were this guy would fit in our organization. Could it be we are looking to trade a LHP for a backup C?

I guess the Indians decided they needed another LH relief pitcher? The only ones they have in the higher minors right now are Hagadone (who I think gets one more shot at being a starter) and Berger. Just injury insurance for Raffy or Sipp, I think.

Searching around the internet, I found this blurb from when English was rostered by the Giants in 2008:

English is still a project, but he’s a lefty with a good fastball and plus changeup.

Curious, because another write-up I found pegged his fastball at 89 MPH, and Fangraphs had him pegged at 88MPH, noting that he gets by with "craftiness and deception".

Problem is... pitching staff is crowded as it is.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:52 am

Yeah, looks more like just depth at AAA. No lefty in the pen there as Hagadone should be starting (piggybacking) in Akron and Berger likely in Akron pen. Barnes in Akron rotation too. So no lefty in Columbus.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby elrod enchilada » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:15 pm

Any chance of a Huff to Milwaukee deal? I saw a rumor a few days ago to that effect.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:28 pm

The Huff-Milwaukee thing was from Hoynes, and written by him as speculation. Didn't sound like he had any info on anything, and just was trying to find a team he could fit with. I highly doubt he is traded. No reason to and would be selling him for peanuts right now.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:53 pm

Mil made a trade for an SP today, I am sure even if they had an interest it is done now
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Return to Indians Prospect Talk