RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Offseason Happenings

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:26 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
Edible14 wrote:MLBTR reporting that the Indians are showing some interest in Adam Everett for a utility infielder role. Curious, considering he's never played anything but SS. He's also pretty solidly on the decline, you can expect that his BA would be right around the mendoza line next year. His real value - fielding - has even declined in recent years, according to the UZR ratings on Fangraphs.


I'd be disappointed if we signed him to anything but an NRI deal. Would rather go with Donald as the utility guy or even JRod.


I don't see why anyone should be suprised by any of these reports. The Tribe infield was HORRIBLE.

Antonetti and Shapiro both expressed how disappointed they were with it and mentioned fixing it as a top winter priority. The Indians have way too many groundball pitchers to continue running out the defense they did last year. The Tribe doesn't sound sold on Cabrera at SS either. I actually think he is a candidate to be traded (or even non-tendered) next year if he doesn't have a bounceback year defensively and offensively.

That said....Everrett isn't too high on my list of guys to go after. Hall and Punto are still 1-2. Above average at 3B (biggest need) and can play SS average-to-above average (same with 2B). I'll be a bit suprised (and very disappointed) if the Tribe doesn't come away with one of them this winter (unless they trade for someone equally as good defensively).
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:14 pm

...Hall and Punto are still 1-2. Above average at 3B (biggest need) and can play SS average-to-above average (same with 2B)....
:nea:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3906
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:45 pm

Indians have officially signed catcher Paul Phillips (Rockies) to a minor league deal with invite to ST. Likely will split duties with Carlin in Triple-A, but there is a remote chance that one of Carlin/Phillips backs up Santana while Marson opens in Columbus .
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby npc29 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:55 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Indians have officially signed catcher Paul Phillips (Rockies) to a minor league deal with invite to ST. Likely will split duties with Carlin in Triple-A, but there is a remote chance that one of Carlin/Phillips backs up Santana while Marson opens in Columbus .


Is that some sort of indication that they'd want to try and move Marson with a trade? Seems like the only reason to have him start in Columbus is to get him to build value. I thought the plan was to play Santana some at first, which would mean they actually need a backup catcher to play more than once or so in a week.

Or do they just not have that much confidence in Marson?
npc29
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:59 pm
Location: Kent, OH

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:53 pm

npc29 wrote:Is that some sort of indication that they'd want to try and move Marson with a trade? Seems like the only reason to have him start in Columbus is to get him to build value. I thought the plan was to play Santana some at first, which would mean they actually need a backup catcher to play more than once or so in a week.

Or do they just not have that much confidence in Marson?


IF they start Marson in Columbus it will simply be to get everyday at bats.

He's still just 23 years old, so they may opt to keep him playing everyday as an alternative to riding pine much like Bard/Shoppach did when Victor was the catcher. Also, I haven't heard anything serious about Santana playing 1B. Even so, that would be, what, once a week maybe to keep him in the lineup (or DH)? He's gonna catch 5-6 games a week like Victor used to, which means playing time for Marson is gonna be hard to come by....unless they decide to be conservative with the knee and do in fact play Marson more. We'll see in spring training.

Could be a Bard-Victor like scenario from 2004 where Bard ended up in Buffalo.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:03 pm

npc29 wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:Indians have officially signed catcher Paul Phillips (Rockies) to a minor league deal with invite to ST. Likely will split duties with Carlin in Triple-A, but there is a remote chance that one of Carlin/Phillips backs up Santana while Marson opens in Columbus .


Is that some sort of indication that they'd want to try and move Marson with a trade? Seems like the only reason to have him start in Columbus is to get him to build value. I thought the plan was to play Santana some at first, which would mean they actually need a backup catcher to play more than once or so in a week.

Or do they just not have that much confidence in Marson?

I would like to applaud the signings of Carlin and Phillips. Makes no difference to the ML team but is great for an organization that has its AAA club loaded with prospects rather than AAAAs. The Indians could want Marson to work on his big weakness which is his bat against RHP. But until that happens, I suspect that Marson will back up Santana and play against LHP primarily. After the injury, I am inclined to believe that Santana will get more rest from catching duties and spend more time at DH than 1B. Just my thoughts. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:11 pm

Marson, while being MLB ready defensively, has a ways to go with his understanding of how MLB pitchers approach his hitting. A bit more seasoning wouldn't hurt his long term development.. but would hurt his feelings..

W/R to a potential trade, it doesn't seem that he would be a better option than some of the FA catchers currently available. Russell Martin and Dioner Navarro may be considered comps (Martin's offense has been vastly superior in the past, but, not recently). There has been some "noise" (defined as unwanted sound) by the Rangers, Dodgers, Nationals, and Blue Jays regarding the acquisition of Zach Greinke. The Royals have shown some measure of interest in moving Greinke, but would require "up the middle" MLB ready, or near MLB ready players.. inclusive of Catcher, SP's, 2B's SS's and CF's. While the Rangers & Nationals have deep farm systems, their is a relatively limited number of "up the middle" players that they can offer the Royals for Greinke. This is where a "third party" can make a play to truly help themselves.. that is.. The Indians have the specs up the middle.. and are in need of corner guys.. If CA can 'nudge' his way into a trade like this, the Indians may be able to acquire the corner IF'er they need while "helping" to get Zach Greinke out of Kansas City..

Anything that gets Greinke out of the AL Central.. works for me....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3906
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:46 pm

I love the idea of facilitating a deal involving Grienke. Actually Id rather be acq. him than helping them trade him but it could land the tribe the 3b baseman or rh bat they need. Hopefully the Tribe gets creative on a deal or two. Cant figure out why they wouldnt consider loading up a cpl prospects for a player who the team can control for 3-4 yrs. They could always back load a deal for after Hafners deal expires.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2412
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:33 am

No chance on Grienke. The Royals are trading him for the same reason we can't acquire him: $$$
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:23 pm

Mariners supposed interest in Valbuena is not correct. Up til now the Indians have not been contacted at all by the Mariners about him.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:28 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Mariners supposed interest in Valbuena is not correct. Up til now the Indians have not been contacted at all by the Mariners about him.


With J-Rod gone now too, not sure the Tribe would see much motivation to move him unless they get a ML ready middle infielder in another deal/signing.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:29 pm

A major league ready duffel bag would work too...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3906
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby petes999 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Per MLBRumors, Gimenez signs with Seattle.

"The Mariners announced they've signed four players to minor league deals with spring training invites today: outfielder Ryan Langerhans, reliever Denny Bautista, catcher Chris Gimenez, and reliever Royce Ring."
petes999
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 559
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:02 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby jellis » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:37 pm

TonyIPI wrote:No chance on Grienke. The Royals are trading him for the same reason we can't acquire him: $$$



could we facilitate a deal though, I mean we could help deal with our issues of a glut up the middle players by trading them to a team for other prospects. I know I am in the minority but imagine if you could trade a guy like Kipnis to another team for a higher level spec, because KC is targeting specifically up the middle players. A guy like Phelps might be some one most fans would rather deal, but Kipnis value is so much higher and might never be higher that if a team did want to make a play for Greinke Kipnis would be an ideal candidate, as part of a package
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby osueddy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:09 am

petes999 wrote:Per MLBRumors, Gimenez signs with Seattle.

"The Mariners announced they've signed four players to minor league deals with spring training invites today: outfielder Ryan Langerhans, reliever Denny Bautista, catcher Chris Gimenez, and reliever Royce Ring."


Well, that solves the problem I thought we would have in Columbus with Gimenez, Carlin, and Phillips. I wondered when looking at the depth chart how that would go, and now it's pretty simple.

I looked at Seattle's roster, and they have one catcher on the 40-man; Adam Moore. 26 year-old with a .197 avg. in 228 career at bats.

Gimenez might start!

Good for him; he was stuck in a nowhere situation with Santana and Marson.
osueddy
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:08 pm
Location: Carrollton, OH

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:36 am

osueddy wrote:
petes999 wrote:Per MLBRumors, Gimenez signs with Seattle.

"The Mariners announced they've signed four players to minor league deals with spring training invites today: outfielder Ryan Langerhans, reliever Denny Bautista, catcher Chris Gimenez, and reliever Royce Ring."


Well, that solves the problem I thought we would have in Columbus with Gimenez, Carlin, and Phillips. I wondered when looking at the depth chart how that would go, and now it's pretty simple.
I looked at Seattle's roster, and they have one catcher on the 40-man; Adam Moore. 26 year-old with a .197 avg. in 228 career at bats.
Gimenez might start!
Good for him; he was stuck in a nowhere situation with Santana and Marson.


Don't forget that Wedge is now the Seattle manager. He liked the ability of Giminez to 'play' multiple spots while here in Cleveland so it stands to reason he would want that flexibility somewhere else.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1749
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:48 am
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby davidkey » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:06 pm

This makes me laugh, because you hit the nail on the head. Put two and two together and the reason Gimenez is in Seattle is because of Wedge. And he'll get probably 500 at-bats playing any position on the diamond, mostly catcher, batting .220 with an OBP of .300 at best. But he's a great clubhouse guy, so Wedge will keep him around (seriously, from all I've heard, he is a class act, so I don't mean to put him down as a person whatsoever.....I just mean to put him down as a ballplayer :lol: )

Wedge is also the reason Seattle might hypothetically want to get Valbuena back... although the rumor has officially been denied, someone in Seattle, probably Wedge, must have at least casually mentioned it to someone else in the M's organization as someone he (Wedge) might be interested in having on his team..

They recently signed Jack Cust, so no need for them to re-sign Russ Branyan. At the end of the day, Wedge has his useless left-handed 1B/DH.

Seattle should be very interesting, and comical, to watch this year. The Tribe might not be good, but Seattle sure as heck won't be either.
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby jellis » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:58 pm

davidkey wrote:This makes me laugh, because you hit the nail on the head. Put two and two together and the reason Gimenez is in Seattle is because of Wedge. And he'll get probably 500 at-bats playing any position on the diamond, mostly catcher, batting .220 with an OBP of .300 at best. But he's a great clubhouse guy, so Wedge will keep him around (seriously, from all I've heard, he is a class act, so I don't mean to put him down as a person whatsoever.....I just mean to put him down as a ballplayer :lol: )

Wedge is also the reason Seattle might hypothetically want to get Valbuena back... although the rumor has officially been denied, someone in Seattle, probably Wedge, must have at least casually mentioned it to someone else in the M's organization as someone he (Wedge) might be interested in having on his team..

They recently signed Jack Cust, so no need for them to re-sign Russ Branyan. At the end of the day, Wedge has his useless left-handed 1B/DH.

Seattle should be very interesting, and comical, to watch this year. The Tribe might not be good, but Seattle sure as heck won't be either.


You need to look to more than average for stats, Cust on the cheap is a solid pick up. Power is never easy to find, and I can't fault any team for trying.
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby Edible14 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:15 pm

jellis wrote:You need to look to more than average for stats, Cust on the cheap is a solid pick up. Power is never easy to find, and I can't fault any team for trying.


Branyan wasn't even a bad pickup on the cheap, he just wasn't really that great of a pickup for the Indians given where they were (that being said, maybe we'll end up with two solid major league backups out of the deal, which ain't bad). Strictly on WAR, Cust is a little better than Branyan. He's also 4 years younger.

Batting: Both strike out a lot (% usually being in the high 30s). Both are unlikely to hit above .250, as the years Cust has done it he's had a pretty high BABIP. Branyan has done it... once. However, both get quite a few walks so that their OBA is better, though Cust is much better at this (usually between 15-20% for Cust, Branyan's closer to 10%). Branyan has more power though, at least the last two years (ISO of .250 for Branyan, which is one of the best in the league, Cust has been .166 and .177 the last two years, though in 07 and 08 he was at about .250).

Defensively, Cust is an AWFUL outfielder (career UZR/150 of -22.3), while Branyan is at least a passable 1B (+3.4 UZR/150 at 1B over his career). To be fair though, if they're both DHing or playing 1B, that comparison is irrelevant or unfair. We don't actually know how good/bad Cust will be as a 1B.

So, I'll say this: if they're looking for power... Branyan is probably the better choice. But as an overall hitter, Cust is betetr by a little bit.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby davidkey » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:39 pm

I'm not sure there's any way to rationalize that Branyan is a decent player. Cust, an argument can be made, and taking a closer look at his 2010 stats, I see he batted .272 with a .395 OBP this past year...I didn't realize that he takes a good number of walks. I imageine his defense is atrocious, but he makes for a respectable DH, though his downfall in HR quantity raises a red flag, espeically since what Seatlle desperately needs are guys who can hit the ball over the fence.

For the sake of comparison, our own Matty LaP matches up fine with Russell, especially given that he's a lot younger and a much better fielder at 1B than Russ the Musc, and is a RH bat. Cust indisputably had a much better 2010 than Matty LaP, but LaP is still only 25 and only has about 600 total ABs as a major leaguer. He can aspire to someday be as good as Jack Cust :s_biggrin
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby Edible14 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:40 am

davidkey wrote:I'm not sure there's any way to rationalize that Branyan is a good player


It's not hard when you look at his power numbers compared to the rest of the league. Measures of his overall production (wOBA, WAR) tend to say he's really not that bad. For a more detailed analysis, check this: http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/?p=28718
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:32 pm

jellis wrote:could we facilitate a deal though, I mean we could help deal with our issues of a glut up the middle players by trading them to a team for other prospects. I know I am in the minority but imagine if you could trade a guy like Kipnis to another team for a higher level spec, because KC is targeting specifically up the middle players. A guy like Phelps might be some one most fans would rather deal, but Kipnis value is so much higher and might never be higher that if a team did want to make a play for Greinke Kipnis would be an ideal candidate, as part of a package


I am with you here. I have said for a while the Tribe should ask around to see what Kipnis is really worth. Thought something with Toronto could work for possible Cecil....but the Jays moved Marcum for Brett Lawrie straight up.

Obviously no need to trade Kipnis, but I agree if it can get you either a higher level spec, or a high spec at a position of weakness (right-handed power or SP), you have to consider it. Could make a case that Kipnis's value may never be higher than it is now too.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:50 pm

Indians have signed Adam Everett to minor league deal with invite to big league camp.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3134
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby davidkey » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:11 pm

Interesting. Well, now we have our (potential) back up middle infielder. He's never played a ML game at 3B, so no need to even go down that path in talking about him. Exact same offensive player as Nick Punto, but Punto has played a lot of 3B. Probably would have preferred Punto just based on that, but not exactly a big deal one way or the other.

So Everett and Valbuena battle it out in spring training for the back-up middle infielder role. Gonna guess Everett wins the spot based on his 'veteran leadership', decent defense and decent speed (never mind the terrible bat), then let Luis V. get regular AB's at Triple AAA.

Hope Luis does his usual and hits .300 at Triple AAA , and then, before they call him up to hit .200 in Cleveland, we can deal him to the National League in exchange for someone who might actually produce at the big league level. I say NL cause if he becomes a decent major leaguer, it has to happen in the NL for my own mental health. In a nightmare I can see him going to another AL team, finally becoming a decent big leaguer and having a chance to bite the Tribe 10-19 games a year.....and that would make me crazy for 10-19 nights a year.
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:16 pm

Twins fans will be slightly upset the Indians didn't sign Punto thereby leaving a slight possibility for a return to them.. :yahoo:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3906
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby Edible14 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:17 pm

To be honest, Everett seems washed up to me. Both his hitting and fielding have regressed basically since he left the Astros. I don't mind him as the AAA guy, but at this point I view him as a Bixler/Buscher type - major league depth at AAA that could easily be jettisoned in favor of a prospect pushing their way up.

While he would be a decent defensive replacement at SS from time-to-time, his hitting is atrocious. Though his BABIP was .234, suggesting he could be a much better hitter than his average (.185) shows, the same is basically true of Valbuena (.238 BABIP, .193 AVG). Valbuena has shown a lot more power than Everett, though Everett clearly (even given his regression) is a better fielder. Also, Valbuena is much younger, on the 40, and has at least the theoretical potential to bounce back and have a better year. So I'd give the edge to Valbuena getting the utility IF gig, but obviously spring training will have a lot to say on that.

Overall, not thrilled with the pickup, but not terribly unhappy either.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby davidkey » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:45 pm

Well put Edible.

This also raises the question from me for anyone who knows.....do we have to put Everett on the 40 man roster now, or only if he makes the ML squad out of spring training?
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:26 pm

davidkey wrote:This also raises the question from me for anyone who knows.....do we have to put Everett on the 40 man roster now, or only if he makes the ML squad out of spring training?


Only if he makes the team out of spring training. That's the reason for signing guys to NRI deals.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby davidkey » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:57 am

Thanks Tony. Now, a follow-up question. If they sign someone, say Austin Kearns, to a major league contract for $750,000, then first of all, I assume he has to be added to the 40 man roster.

But if he stinks it up in April and May, can they then send him to the minors without condition (but still making his $750,000 ML salary), or since he's a veteran, would it be one of those 'designated for assignment' situations where he'd have 10 days to accept the minor league demotion, ask for his release (or be exposed to waivers?), or the Tribe could trade him?
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby Edible14 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:16 pm

davidkey wrote:Thanks Tony. Now, a follow-up question. If they sign someone, say Austin Kearns, to a major league contract for $750,000, then first of all, I assume he has to be added to the 40 man roster.

But if he stinks it up in April and May, can they then send him to the minors without condition (but still making his $750,000 ML salary), or since he's a veteran, would it be one of those 'designated for assignment' situations where he'd have 10 days to accept the minor league demotion, ask for his release (or be exposed to waivers?), or the Tribe could trade him?


He would have to clear waivers & accept the assignment in order to be stashed in the minors. As a veteran with 5+ years of service time, he can refuse a minor league assignment, instead opting for free agency.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:18 pm

davidkey wrote:Thanks Tony. Now, a follow-up question. If they sign someone, say Austin Kearns, to a major league contract for $750,000, then first of all, I assume he has to be added to the 40 man roster.

But if he stinks it up in April and May, can they then send him to the minors without condition (but still making his $750,000 ML salary), or since he's a veteran, would it be one of those 'designated for assignment' situations where he'd have 10 days to accept the minor league demotion, ask for his release (or be exposed to waivers?), or the Tribe could trade him?


Yes, when a guy is signed to a guaranteed major league contract they have to be added to the 40-man roster. Guys signed to minor league deals do not have to be added to the 40-man roster.

Also, they cannot send a guy already on the 40-man roster to the minors unless he has options left. For a player like Kearns who has a lot of service time, he would first have to be put on waivers before he could be sent to the minors and he also has the option to elect free agency instead of accepting the assignment.

Guys sent to the minors no longer make their major league salary. For 1-3 year pre-arbitration guys this means they go to the minors and make anywhere from $12K to $65K. Arb guys or those with more service time generally have it written in their contract that they get a certain amount if sent to the minors (split contract). The most anyone usually makes if sent to the minors is $100-150K. So as you can see it is a sizable decrease in pay.

Remember that when these guys get optioned out of reassigned to the minors.....they are taking a HUGE paycut.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:13 pm

Edible14 wrote:To be honest, Everett seems washed up to me. Both his hitting and fielding have regressed basically since he left the Astros. I don't mind him as the AAA guy, but at this point I view him as a Bixler/Buscher type - major league depth at AAA that could easily be jettisoned in favor of a prospect pushing their way up.

While he would be a decent defensive replacement at SS from time-to-time, his hitting is atrocious. Though his BABIP was .234, suggesting he could be a much better hitter than his average (.185) shows, the same is basically true of Valbuena (.238 BABIP, .193 AVG). Valbuena has shown a lot more power than Everett, though Everett clearly (even given his regression) is a better fielder. Also, Valbuena is much younger, on the 40, and has at least the theoretical potential to bounce back and have a better year. So I'd give the edge to Valbuena getting the utility IF gig, but obviously spring training will have a lot to say on that.

Overall, not thrilled with the pickup, but not terribly unhappy either.



While Everett's defense has regressed, he's by far better than anything the Tribe has or has had at the position since Omar left. Based off what Antonetti has said this fall/winter, I feel he's very concerned about our horrific infield defense and wouldn't be suprised if we get another infielder before spring training starts.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby GoTribe028 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:09 am

Zach Greinke, Yuniesky Betancourt, and 2 million bucks traded to the Brewers for OF Lorenzo Cain, shortstop Alcides Escobar, reliever Jeremy Jeffress, and pitching prospect Jake Odorizzi
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1165
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby npc29 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:15 am

Holy smokes what a package... Remember when Milwaukee refused to include both LaPorta AND Escobar in the Sabathia deal?
npc29
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:59 pm
Location: Kent, OH

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:43 am

A very interesting week. 2 of the better pitchers (Lee & Greinke) depart the American League. The Tribe offense needs to take a step or two forward this coming year (injuries or not) and these departures should help.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1749
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:48 am
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:57 am

GoTribe028 wrote:Zach Greinke, Yuniesky Betancourt, and 2 million bucks traded to the Brewers for OF Lorenzo Cain, shortstop Alcides Escobar, reliever Jeremy Jeffress, and pitching prospect Jake Odorizzi

Not sure I like this deal from either side.

Royals get Escobar, great fielder, who knows if he ever hits. Plays next year at 24yrs old. Jeffress, IMO, a young RH Tony Sipp. Cain=Brantley-Lite. Odorizzi is a guy a lot of us liked in the Chisenhall draft. He went a couple of picks after Chiz, I believe. Very good spec, not a power pitcher but was said to be very advanced HS pitcher. If all of these guys hit, great trade. High bust potential.

Brews get a top SP with relatively cheap contract for 2 years, with a little salary relief, plus a replacement SS. Makes sense for them if they are realistically competetive during the next 2 years; are they?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:19 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:Zach Greinke, Yuniesky Betancourt, and 2 million bucks traded to the Brewers for OF Lorenzo Cain, shortstop Alcides Escobar, reliever Jeremy Jeffress, and pitching prospect Jake Odorizzi

Not sure I like this deal from either side.

Royals get Escobar, great fielder, who knows if he ever hits. Plays next year at 24yrs old. Jeffress, IMO, a young RH Tony Sipp. Cain=Brantley-Lite. Odorizzi is a guy a lot of us liked in the Chisenhall draft. He went a couple of picks after Chiz, I believe. Very good spec, not a power pitcher but was said to be very advanced HS pitcher. If all of these guys hit, great trade. High bust potential.

Brews get a top SP with relatively cheap contract for 2 years, with a little salary relief, plus a replacement SS. Makes sense for them if they are realistically competetive during the next 2 years; are they?


I think a lot rests on Fielder's shoulders.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3134
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:31 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:Zach Greinke, Yuniesky Betancourt, and 2 million bucks traded to the Brewers for OF Lorenzo Cain, shortstop Alcides Escobar, reliever Jeremy Jeffress, and pitching prospect Jake Odorizzi

Not sure I like this deal from either side.

Royals get Escobar, great fielder, who knows if he ever hits. Plays next year at 24yrs old. Jeffress, IMO, a young RH Tony Sipp. Cain=Brantley-Lite. Odorizzi is a guy a lot of us liked in the Chisenhall draft. He went a couple of picks after Chiz, I believe. Very good spec, not a power pitcher but was said to be very advanced HS pitcher. If all of these guys hit, great trade. High bust potential.

Brews get a top SP with relatively cheap contract for 2 years, with a little salary relief, plus a replacement SS. Makes sense for them if they are realistically competetive during the next 2 years; are they?


I think a lot rests on Fielder's shoulders.

Good point. Also forgot to add that with Greinke, Gallardo, Marcum, & Wolf, they have the makings of a pretty fine rotation.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:36 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:Zach Greinke, Yuniesky Betancourt, and 2 million bucks traded to the Brewers for OF Lorenzo Cain, shortstop Alcides Escobar, reliever Jeremy Jeffress, and pitching prospect Jake Odorizzi

Not sure I like this deal from either side.

Royals get Escobar, great fielder, who knows if he ever hits. Plays next year at 24yrs old. Jeffress, IMO, a young RH Tony Sipp. Cain=Brantley-Lite. Odorizzi is a guy a lot of us liked in the Chisenhall draft. He went a couple of picks after Chiz, I believe. Very good spec, not a power pitcher but was said to be very advanced HS pitcher. If all of these guys hit, great trade. High bust potential.

Brews get a top SP with relatively cheap contract for 2 years, with a little salary relief, plus a replacement SS. Makes sense for them if they are realistically competetive during the next 2 years; are they?


I think a lot rests on Fielder's shoulders.


Let's not forget they picked up Marcum too.

For a team who's biggest weakness last year was their starting pitching, to have a top 4 of Greinke, Gallardo, Marcum and Wolf is a good bunch to have supporting a solid and potentially potent offense (if all of Fielder, Braun, Weeks, McGeehee and Hart fire).
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:39 pm

A.Zajac wrote:I think a lot rests on Fielder's shoulders.


I think the Brew Crew has more offensively then we are giving them credit for. Ryan Braun is a beast in LF (25 hrs and 45 doubles while hitting .304) and Corey Hart in RF had 31 hrs & 34 doubles.

Their starting pitching was letting them down (15th in era in the NL). Getting Marcum and Grienke definitely bolsters that group.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1749
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:48 am
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:46 pm

Interesting trade... I think I like it a little better for Milwaukee for getting the more sure thing. It could turn out better for KC, but I think it's completely riding on Odorizzi reaching his ceiling... or at least being useful if Cain can become more than he appears to be at this point.

Milwaukee probably becomes a front-runner for a playoff spot the next couple of years with a front four of Greinke-Gallardo-Marcum-Wolfe, and five guys in their lineup who hit 23+ home runs last year. Still, St. Louis and Cincinnati can give them a battle for the Central and another 2-3 teams in the mix for the wild card, so it's no sure thing.

KC got four "name" prospects, but Odorizzi is the only one who hasn't shown any serious flaws yet. They get a shortstop and center fielder who can both step in to their starting lineup, but it's questionable whether either one will ever hit enough. Neither Escobar nor Cain have shown good patience or special contact skills, and since neither one has any pop at this point (and Escobar is clearly never going to develop any), their value is seriously tied up in their BABIP. Jeffress is a power reliever, but lacks command and is one failed drug test away from getting kicked out of the game. You have to like the start to Odorizzi's career, and he could be a future #2 starter. If he does, the Royals did well, but if he completely misses, I don't see enough talent in the other parts.
User avatar
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:49 pm

Fangraphs take

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... r-greinke/

"Quantity over quality"

Elsewhere, it's being reported that the Royals were close to a deal to send Greinke to Washington, but the Nats were on his no-trade list and he wouldn't approve the deal.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:02 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:Interesting trade... I think I like it a little better for Milwaukee for getting the more sure thing. It could turn out better for KC, but I think it's completely riding on Odorizzi reaching his ceiling... or at least being useful if Cain can become more than he appears to be at this point.

Milwaukee probably becomes a front-runner for a playoff spot the next couple of years with a front four of Greinke-Gallardo-Marcum-Wolfe, and five guys in their lineup who hit 23+ home runs last year. Still, St. Louis and Cincinnati can give them a battle for the Central and another 2-3 teams in the mix for the wild card, so it's no sure thing.

KC got four "name" prospects, but Odorizzi is the only one who hasn't shown any serious flaws yet. They get a shortstop and center fielder who can both step in to their starting lineup, but it's questionable whether either one will ever hit enough. Neither Escobar nor Cain have shown good patience or special contact skills, and since neither one has any pop at this point (and Escobar is clearly never going to develop any), their value is seriously tied up in their BABIP. Jeffress is a power reliever, but lacks command and is one failed drug test away from getting kicked out of the game. You have to like the start to Odorizzi's career, and he could be a future #2 starter. If he does, the Royals did well, but if he completely misses, I don't see enough talent in the other parts.
Like with most trades for established players.. the immediate results or short term return almost always favors the team that recieves the established player.. it's 2 or 3 years before the full effect of the trade can and should be evaluated. Example: The CC Sabathia Trade.. three months and two weeks of stellar pitching from CC propelled the Brewers into the playoffs..they go what they wanted.. The guys the indians recieved in return.. have yet to be fully established MLB Players... Net: Brewers won this one..so far. If by change Brantley continues to contribute and LaPorta becomes the power hitting 1B and Bryson makes it to MLB and becomes an effective pitcher.. then it's a landslide win for the Indians.. at least one of the three players still in the Indians system have to meet expectations for the trade to be considered equal...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3906
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:05 pm

Tell ya what, a trend I'm noticing... aside from the BoSox, the NL is very pitching heavy... AL very hitter heavy.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3134
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:24 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Like with most trades for established players.. the immediate results or short term return almost always favors the team that recieves the established player.. it's 2 or 3 years before the full effect of the trade can and should be evaluated. Example: The CC Sabathia Trade.. three months and two weeks of stellar pitching from CC propelled the Brewers into the playoffs..they go what they wanted.. The guys the indians recieved in return.. have yet to be fully established MLB Players... Net: Brewers won this one..so far. If by change Brantley continues to contribute and LaPorta becomes the power hitting 1B and Bryson makes it to MLB and becomes an effective pitcher.. then it's a landslide win for the Indians.. at least one of the three players still in the Indians system have to meet expectations for the trade to be considered equal...

Thanks for all that rehash, but I'm already aware of the concept of a now-for-later/rebuild trade. I think everyone knows the full value of this deal is years away from being determined, but since when is the point of internet forums to say, "Great, I guess we'll all wait and see what happens over the next 5 years"? The point is that, IMO, too much of the value coming back to KC is wrapped up in Odorizzi making the long road to becoming at least a #2 starter. Escobar and Cain as defensive specialists aren't worth a couple years of Greinke if you have a chance to parlay that into a playoff appearance or two... maybe if Jeffress ends up replacing Joakim Soria effectively for a few years, but I'd still demand more for Greinke considering he should no doubt be an ace in the NL Central... and Texas, for one, quite possibly could have topped that package.
User avatar
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:35 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:Like with most trades for established players.. the immediate results or short term return almost always favors the team that recieves the established player.. it's 2 or 3 years before the full effect of the trade can and should be evaluated. Example: The CC Sabathia Trade.. three months and two weeks of stellar pitching from CC propelled the Brewers into the playoffs..they go what they wanted.. The guys the indians recieved in return.. have yet to be fully established MLB Players... Net: Brewers won this one..so far. If by change Brantley continues to contribute and LaPorta becomes the power hitting 1B and Bryson makes it to MLB and becomes an effective pitcher.. then it's a landslide win for the Indians.. at least one of the three players still in the Indians system have to meet expectations for the trade to be considered equal...


Thanks for all that rehash, but I'm already aware of the concept of a now-for-later/rebuild trade. I think everyone knows the full value of this deal is years away from being determined, but since when is the point of internet forums to say, "Great, I guess we'll all wait and see what happens over the next 5 years"? The point is that, IMO, too much of the value coming back to KC is wrapped up in Odorizzi making the long road to becoming at least a #2 starter. Escobar and Cain as defensive specialists aren't worth a couple years of Greinke if you have a chance to parlay that into a playoff appearance or two... maybe if Jeffress ends up replacing Joakim Soria effectively for a few years, but I'd still demand more for Greinke considering he should no doubt be an ace in the NL Central... and Texas, for one, quite possibly could have topped that package.

Agree with Clyde Clay's assessment & would add that Betancourt, while only decent defensively, has some pop at the SS position, which could make the Brews even more dangerous.
The Brews are pushing to compete now. Whether all of the parts fit is yet to be seen.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:34 pm

Pair of signings this morning to report:

Travis Buck inked to a minor league deal with invite to Spring Training.
Austin Kearns inked to a one-year major league contract.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3134
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby seatribe » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:55 pm

With the Kearns signing, the Indians need to remove someone from the 40 man roster. Any ideas Tony?
seatribe
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby toledobuck » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:01 pm

Can't really complain about resigning Kearns to be our veteran RH OF this year. He played well last year and netted a decent prospect when dealt to the NYY. I like the Kearns signing. Kearns and Duncan can compete for the RH bench stick. They both could actually make the team though as well.

I have not seen anything about signing Travis Buck but he is not bad either. He has had some experience playing in the majors with OAK and has a decent line drive / .280 average type offensive game. Not sure where he will play in the AAA OF though with the prospects we have there.

As far as 40 removal, I think that Germano is likely gone.
toledobuck
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Offseason Happenings

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:12 pm

A.Zajac wrote:Pair of signings this morning to report:

Travis Buck inked to a minor league deal with invite to Spring Training.
Austin Kearns inked to a one-year major league contract.


I like both of these pickups. However Buck and Weglarz might be able to combine into 1 healthy OF :shout:
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1165
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:44 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest