RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2010 Instructional League

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

2010 Instructional League

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:38 pm

This will be going up on the main page late tonight....but posting now to the faithful message board followers:

Here is the roster for the Fall Instructional Program:

# PITCHERS (20)
35 Adams, Austin
45 Blair, Kyle
55 Carmona, Manuel
38 Colon, Joseph
49 Cook, Cole
50 Dischler, Tony
25 Encarnacion, Luis
39 Gardner, Joseph
59 Hagadone, Nick
51 Haley, Trey
53 Homblert, Rafael
58 Knapp, Jason
60 Lopez, Jose
57 McFarland, TJ
57 Packer, Matt
38 Pomeranz, Drew
48 Soto, Giovanni
65 Sterling, Felix
46 Tejeda, Enosil
36 White, Alex

CATCHERS (6)
7 Childs, Dwight
8 Lavisky, Alex
4 Monsalve, Alex
17 Perez, Roberto
2 Seastrunk, Diego
6 Valerio, Charlie

INFIELDERS (13)
24 Aguilar, Jesus
9 Bartolone, Nick
25 Bellows, Kyle
27 Castillo, Leonardo
17 Diaz, Juan
16 Frawley, Casey
12 Garcia, Robel
16 Gonzalez, Erik
11 Kipnis, Jason
13 Martinez, Jorge
20 Romero, Juan
23 Urshela, Giovanny
10 Wolters, Tony

OUTFIELDERS (11)
15 Abreu, Abner
22 Brown, Mark
30 Burnette, Chase
24 Cid, Delvi
35 Greenwell, Bo
29 Holt, Tyler
34 Jones, Hunter
30 Lin, Chia-Ching
40 Moncrief, Carlos
32 Rodriguez, Luigi
26 Washington, Levon

It starts Wednesday September 15th and runs until Thursday October 14th. I will be there the final three days from the 12th-15th and also for the AFL. Here is the schedule once games start:

Day Date Game (Location) Time
Wednesday 22-Sep @OAK 2 (Phoenix) 12:30 PM
Thursday 23-Sep Work Day
Friday 24-Sep LAD (Goodyear) 12:30 PM
Saturday 25-Sep @TEX (Surprise) 10:00 AM
Sunday 26-Sep OFF
Monday 27-Sep Work Day 12:30 PM
Tuesday 28-Sep CIN (Goodyear) 12:30 PM
Wednesday 29-Sep SEA (Goodyear) 12:30 PM
Thursday 30-Sep Work Day
Friday 1-Oct TEX (Goodyear) 12:30 PM
Saturday 2-Oct Work Day
Sunday 3-Oct OFF
Monday 4-Oct Work Day 12:30 PM
Tuesday 5-Oct SEA (Goodyear) 12:30 PM
Wednesday 6-Oct Work Day
Thursday 7-Oct @SDP (Peoria) 12:30 PM
Friday 8-Oct @LAD (Glendale) 12:30 PM
Saturday 9-Oct Work Day
Sunday 10-Oct OFF
Monday 11-Oct @KCR (Surprise) 12:30 PM
Tuesday 12-Oct @CIN (Goodyear) 12:30 PM
Wednesday 13-Oct CWS (Goodyear) 12:30 PM
Thursday 14-Oct CIN (Goodyear) 9:00 AM

I am still working on getting the list of players taking part in the Fall Development Program (strength & conditioning). I know of a few, but am trying to get the complete list. Also, I am trying to verify if there will be a "Parellel League" again. Stay tuned.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: 2010 Instructional League

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:46 pm

This is a strange thought I've always had about instructs, but, given that instructs games start right after the minor league playoffs (and thus milb.tv webcasts) end, is there any way that the Tribe could set up a cheap webcam behind the backstop fence and stream the instructs games here on IPI (maybe take up a donation on IPI for the costs)? I'm not talking about having announcers or graphics or anything, just a cheap way to keep up our Indians farm system broadcast fix for a few more weeks.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:This is a strange thought I've always had about instructs, but, given that instructs games start right after the minor league playoffs (and thus milb.tv webcasts) end, is there any way that the Tribe could set up a cheap webcam behind the backstop fence and stream the instructs games here on IPI (maybe take up a donation on IPI for the costs)? I'm not talking about having announcers or graphics or anything, just a cheap way to keep up our Indians farm system broadcast fix for a few more weeks.

LOL, good idea, but it will likely never happen.

They have a camera mounted behind homeplate, so it is definitely "possible"....just extremely unlikely.

Now, one idea I could always consider is when I go to Instructs to do my own video and stream it live while there. But, that's a bit too involved for me to figure out at this juncture! But an idea to maybe consider down the road for a game or two while I am out there.

If somebody more technically savvy could let me know what I would need to do this, maybe I do it for a game this year. I know I would need an internet connection, computer, and a webcam I assume....but I have no idea how or where I would stream it or set it up?
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:06 pm

If there's already a camera there, why not do a 24/7 webstream (Grainger Stadium has something similar on the KFP site, albeit with a still camera IIRC). Minor League ST, XST, AZL, instructs. They'd have a pretty solid stream of prgramming. Heck, I;d be willing to commentate some games if there's any way to overdub commentary or put together a separate audio stream.

Also, just wondering, with the Carolina League playoffs possibly going to the 18th and the Midwest League playoffs ending as late as the 20th, are there any guys the tribe would pull out of the K-Tribe or Caps roster during the playoffs to get them into instructs on day one (the 15th)?
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:53 pm

Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:Also, just wondering, with the Carolina League playoffs possibly going to the 18th and the Midwest League playoffs ending as late as the 20th, are there any guys the tribe would pull out of the K-Tribe or Caps roster during the playoffs to get them into instructs on day one (the 15th)?

No, they will finish the playoffs and then go to Instructs late if need be.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:04 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:This is a strange thought I've always had about instructs, but, given that instructs games start right after the minor league playoffs (and thus milb.tv webcasts) end, is there any way that the Tribe could set up a cheap webcam behind the backstop fence and stream the instructs games here on IPI (maybe take up a donation on IPI for the costs)? I'm not talking about having announcers or graphics or anything, just a cheap way to keep up our Indians farm system broadcast fix for a few more weeks.

LOL, good idea, but it will likely never happen.

They have a camera mounted behind homeplate, so it is definitely "possible"....just extremely unlikely.

Now, one idea I could always consider is when I go to Instructs to do my own video and stream it live while there. But, that's a bit too involved for me to figure out at this juncture! But an idea to maybe consider down the road for a game or two while I am out there.

If somebody more technically savvy could let me know what I would need to do this, maybe I do it for a game this year. I know I would need an internet connection, computer, and a webcam I assume....but I have no idea how or where I would stream it or set it up?

Talked to my daughter who is primarily an audio engineer but did video and site work until recently. She thinks you might be able to feed the internet from the existing camera from something as easy as smart phone hookup to a laptop, much as I did from Anaheim yesterday. You would have to establish a technical link between the camera and the phone but she does not think that is a big problem. She says to use a power source to run your stuff since batteries will die quickly and are unreliable. If you want some specific questions answered, I will be glad to ask.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby npc29 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:50 pm

A pitcher named Carmona wearing #55? Coincidence or does this Carmona hold any relation to Fausto?
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby elrod enchilada » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:31 pm

So Hunter Jones is now an outfielder. That was quick.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:08 pm

Hey Tony, any idea why Chen is overlooked in the Catchers? Doesn't interfere with AFL does it?
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:55 pm

For those wondering, there will be a Parellel League again this year.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:47 pm

elrod enchilada wrote:So Hunter Jones is now an outfielder. That was quick.

I'm surprised by this as well. Anyone have some info on the reasoning??
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:28 am

MadThinker88 wrote:
elrod enchilada wrote:So Hunter Jones is now an outfielder. That was quick.

I'm surprised by this as well. Anyone have some info on the reasoning??

Hi MT, I saw him a bit in HS. He played SS in HS because he was the best they had not because it is his best position. Very baseball savvy IMO and born for CF defensively. Outstanding high end speed reached very easily but not "quick" feet. Questionable arm for ML SS but more than average for CF. I hesitate to call him the fastest of a very swift group of draftees but he may well be. I am guessing this is a pre-ordained move after he got his feet wet in AZL. Remember the Indians rule that no changes for something like 30-60 days after they sign him. Same theory as Kipnis and Chis I expect.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby ktriber » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:38 am

I thought Alex White had been shut down for the rest of the year?
ktriber
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:57 am

ktriber wrote:I thought Alex White had been shut down for the rest of the year?

He is. He is mostly taking part in strength & conditioning and while I am not sure I believe will just continue doing some long toss and bullpens.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:07 pm

TonyIPI wrote:For those wondering, there will be a Parellel League again this year.

Is it similar to last year, or will it be a bigger deal with all the orgs (inluding Grapefruit League teams) involved a la the old Maryland Fall and Hawaii Winter leagues?
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:00 pm

Tony, do you have boxscores from any of the first 3 Insructs games? I want to get going on the stats as soon as possible.

Sorry about not doing the playoff stats, I had assumed those were on milb.com. :fool: :sorry:
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:34 pm

Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:Tony, do you have boxscores from any of the first 3 Insructs games? I want to get going on the stats as soon as possible.

Sorry about not doing the playoff stats, I had assumed those were on milb.com. :fool: :sorry:

No Instructs box scores will be provided for the first three games. I will start getting box scores starting with today's Instructs game. I have the Parallel League box score from yesterday which I will post tonight.

No explanation given on why the box scores from the first few games are not being provided....I did not probe too much. Come up with your own theory. :s_wink
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:32 am

Thanks for the heads up!

My guess is that they may not be playing under full rules (i.e. giving everybody a predetermined number of at-bats, playing more than 3 outs in an inning, playing more than a 10-man batting order). That would throw off the stats, especially the pitching stats.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:59 am

At Instructs yesterday, Bellows 3-4, 2B, 3RBI; Burnette 2-4, 2 2B, RBI; Aguilar 3-4, 2 2B, RBI; Packer 2IP, 0R, 0H, 1BB, 2 K. Will post the full box score as well as the Parallel League one tonight.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby elrod enchilada » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:26 am

Hey Tony--

I notice Aaron Siliga is not in Arizona, or at least not playing. What is the thinking? Did he get enough playing time already in the rookie league or is he in the doghouse? Seems like he could benefit from the work.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:09 am

Instructs 9/29: Moncrief 2-2,RBI; Washington 2-3,R,BB; Wolters 1-2,2BB,SB; Pomeranz 3IP,0H,0R,1BB,6K, 95MPH; Blair 2IP,2H,0R,1BB,3K
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:12 am

elrod enchilada wrote:Hey Tony--

I notice Aaron Siliga is not in Arizona, or at least not playing. What is the thinking? Did he get enough playing time already in the rookie league or is he in the doghouse? Seems like he could benefit from the work.

No doghouse. They only send 6-8 outfielders to Instructs. Not everyone from the recent draft goes....mostly guys that missed a lot of time really.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby danh8 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:36 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Instructs 9/29: Moncrief 2-2,RBI; Washington 2-3,R,BB; Wolters 1-2,2BB,SB; Pomeranz 3IP,0H,0R,1BB,6K, 95MPH; Blair 2IP,2H,0R,1BB,3K

Nice to see Pomeranz velocity get back up to 95 .. he'd lost some this past season due to a lingering injury issue... If he maintains that or increases that with the curve that he already has developed, he's got a great foundation from which to build. Now, I'm sure the coming season will be getting that change further developed beyond just an occasional 'show', to an effective element in his repetoire.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:30 am

Finally a box with Adam Miller. Just posted it.

Also nice to see Anthony Reyes and Elvis Araujo in action.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TitoFrancona » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:28 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Finally a box with Adam Miller. Just posted it.

Also nice to see Anthony Reyes and Elvis Araujo in action.

I agree. Nice to see Adam actually pitching in real game conditions. Hitting 93 imo is an encouraging sign. I'm pretty sure his arm strength isn't at 100% and I'm equally sure they're not encouraging him to cut loose. I doubt he ever hits upper 90s and just about positive he'll never hit 3 digits on the radar gun ever again.

But if he can get it up to mid 90s (94 - 96) then he's got a shot at being a pretty decent bullpen prospect. Starting of course is pretty much a pipe dream.

But he's got a long, long road ahead before we can actually get too excited. I'm just happy to see him pitching again at this point.
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:19 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:I agree. Nice to see Adam actually pitching in real game conditions. Hitting 93 imo is an encouraging sign. I'm pretty sure his arm strength isn't at 100% and I'm equally sure they're not encouraging him to cut loose. I doubt he ever hits upper 90s and just about positive he'll never hit 3 digits on the radar gun ever again.

But if he can get it up to mid 90s (94 - 96) then he's got a shot at being a pretty decent bullpen prospect. Starting of course is pretty much a pipe dream.

But he's got a long, long road ahead before we can actually get too excited. I'm just happy to see him pitching again at this point.

I agree, nice to see him pitching again. Starting is definitely out of the question, but I think at this point getting 3-5 years out of him in the pen would be a blessing. The key to me is not the velocity....it's whether or not he can rip off that great slider still. To me, that would be the pitch which would put the finger under the must danger to be reinjured.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby GhostofTedCox » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:01 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
TitoFrancona wrote:I agree. Nice to see Adam actually pitching in real game conditions. Hitting 93 imo is an encouraging sign. I'm pretty sure his arm strength isn't at 100% and I'm equally sure they're not encouraging him to cut loose. I doubt he ever hits upper 90s and just about positive he'll never hit 3 digits on the radar gun ever again.

I agree, nice to see him pitching again. Starting is definitely out of the question, but I think at this point getting 3-5 years out of him in the pen would be a blessing. The key to me is not the velocity....it's whether or not he can rip off that great slider still. To me, that would be the pitch which would put the finger under the must danger to be reinjured.

I wouldn't bet against Adam touching 100 again. Remember, there was nothing wrong with his shoulder or elbow. Sometimes developing a different grip can lead to a unique wrinkle in a pitch. It's a longshot. But never say never.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:26 am

Talked with Miller for about 30 mins on Wednesday. Will have an article up on him soon, likely next week when I have more time to devote to transcribing and writing it. We did talk a little about his velocity....he's at 93 MPH officially though he said in bullpens he has been up to 94 MPH. That's a good sign. One thing to remember, and he brought this up and I thought it was a good point, that even though he did not have an elbow or arm injury, he has pretty much not pitched in 2 years. So all those muscles in his arm andf body he used to use when he pitched have been dorment for awhile. Some you can't workout with weigfhts or whatever as the only way to keep them strong is through throwing.....so it will take some time to get his "throwing" muscles built back up.

By the way, as I tweeted earlier, he has officially resigned with the Indians....though I don't think there was any thought he would sign elesewhere. Also, that appearance last Friday in Instructs was the only game he pitched in this fall.

The only thing left to find out now with him is whether or not he is rostered.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Return to Indians Prospect Talk