Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

John Mirabelli interview: seeking questions

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

John Mirabelli interview: seeking questions

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:50 am

As mentioned in the Brad Grant thread I am doing my end of season rounds in contacting the front office guys. First up is Brad Grant tomorrow morning, but I will be talking on record with John Mirabelli as well sometime tomorrow or this weekend for 15-20 minutes. While with Grant I am focusing on the 2010 Draft and the draft itself, with Mirabelli I plan to talk about things on the International side. The International Signing Period (ISP) just came to a close, so will talk some about maybe any players from there and their new process they use with signing guys all year round rather than almost exclusively in the ISP.

If there is a question you would like me to ask John in regard to Latin signings, our presence in Latin America, our process, or whatever, please post it here or email it to me at tlastoria@indiansprospectinsider.com. Anything is fair game, though I will note I cannot gaurantee all questions will be asked! Thanks.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: John Mirabelli interview: seeking questions

Postby TitoFrancona » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:10 pm

Just out of curiousity Tony, I'm sure I missed it, but I haven't seen any list of international signings by the Indians. Is there one?
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:45 pm

Any chance of the Tribe getting back into the VSL?

Same question re: a return of the DSL Indians 2.

How is MLB's Sandy Alderson-led effort at overhauling the Latin scouting system (especially in the Dominican) affecting the Indians' Latin operations?

Do the Indians have procedures to minimize the risk of signing players who are either playing under falsified identities and/or at risk for PED suspensions or are these seen as inherent risks of Latin scouting?

How does the Indians' Latin signing budget compare with other teams (I'm assuming that it's pretty strong given how the Indians budget for the draft)? Are there any buscones that the Tribe avoid because they know that their signing bonus demands will be too far out of whack with the player's true value to the club?

Have the Indians realized any benefits from having their own Dominican Academy rather than sharing the Las Americas complex?

What relatively untapped baseball markets are the Indians looking in for possible talent (a la the Pirates in India)? I'm especially thinking of other cricketing nations such as Pakistan and Britain. Haiti would also seem to be an interesting place to take a quick look at as the Dominican scouts can go there without leaving Hispanola.

Any chance that the DSL team will post transactions to milb.com next season? (just kidding) :s_biggrin

How can I get my hands on one of those sweet AZL/DSL home jerseys? (again, just kidding) :s_biggrin
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:00 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:Just out of curiousity Tony, I'm sure I missed it, but I haven't seen any list of international signings by the Indians. Is there one?

You haven't missed anything. A list has not been released. The Indians have made it a point that they don't follow the International Signing Period anymore and that it is no more important than the signings they make the other 10 months from September to July every year. A listing will likely be provided near the end of the month like last year.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TitoFrancona » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:16 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
TitoFrancona wrote:Just out of curiousity Tony, I'm sure I missed it, but I haven't seen any list of international signings by the Indians. Is there one?

You haven't missed anything. A list has not been released. The Indians have made it a point that they don't follow the International Signing Period anymore and that it is no more important than the signings they make the other 10 months from September to July every year. A listing will likely be provided near the end of the month like last year.

Thanks for the clarification Tony.
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:18 pm

Quick question for you, Tony: If following the ISP isn't mandatory, how is it different than the other 10 months of the year for international signings?

I apologize if it's a dumb question, but I'm a bit of a newbie to this kind of stuff. :sorry:
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:31 am

Would you ask him if the Indians financial wherewithal has significantly effected his ability to sign latin area players?
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:01 am

Just talked to Mirabelli for about 30+ minutes. Lots of good stuff, of which I will share in more detail later and post an article soon on (liklely as a Q&A). Lots of info on recent signings this year, and their process/operation in Latin America.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Return to Indians Prospect Talk