RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Brad Grant interview: seeking questions

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Brad Grant interview: seeking questions

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:30 am

Hey guys, I am doing my end of season rounds in contacting the front office guys. First up is Brad Grant who I will be talking to tomorrow late morning for 15-20 minutes. I planned to do a post-draft wrapup with some thoughts on some of the guys he has now seen play a little in the system, the signing process, etc.

If there is a burning question you would like me to ask Brad, please post it here or email it to me at tlastoria@indiansprospectinsider.com. Anything is fair game, though I will note I cannot gaurantee all questions will be asked! Thanks.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: Brad Grant interview: seeking questions

Postby petes999 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:41 am

1) If players have a similar rating, does the system depth have an influence on which player is drafted? Or, is priority given by the Indians to pitching to create an abundance of depth?

2) Is Packer's rise more due to being an advance college pitcher who was able to handle his own at the advance level but will be more a relief pitcher in the majors or is there something that he developed that made him a under the radar type prospect that has risen him above expectations and possibly a ML starter?

3) How is the draft budget calculated when you are drafting in the top-5 versus the bottom third? Does the price tag of 1st round pick influence if another $2 million or so is added to the budget or do you just get to take more flyers if Cleveland was drafting in the 20s as the pick won't take as much to sign?
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby TitoFrancona » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:42 am

I'd like to ask him about Hagadone and his transition to the bullpen. So far not so good. Is there a chance he might be back in the rotation next season?

Also, does Phelps' defense at 2nd translate to major league caliber? And if they do intend to move him off of 2nd, does his bat translate well enough to move him to 3rd base or LF or whereever they intend on moving him? Or do they view him more of a future UIF'er?
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:45 am

Quick note, as the club's Amateur Scouting Director, he will defer questions on current players in the system to Atkins. I'll only ask questions pertaining to the Draft itself and any picks from this year. So some of these questions in regard to the specific players already in the system I will save for my Atkins chat soon. Thanks.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Edible14 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:46 am

Nick Bartalone was a pick that seemingly came from nowhere, judging from the draft day talk about him. What kind of scouting profile did the team have on him, and how good do they think he'll be?

Alex White started this year at Kinston and quickly moved up to Akron. Could Pomeranz follow that route next year, or will something like the sheer number of starters in the system keep him off of that kind of path?

LeVon Washington didn't get a lot of time in this year at ASL, but where might he be starting next year? Lake County or Kinston?

It's said that the MLB "frowns upon" over-the-slot bonuses. Given that the Indians spent so much over slot this year, did the MLB front office say anything about it? Do they ever?
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby theshow » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:06 pm

It was like Christmas in June with all the higher upside, harder to sign players. Ask him point blank: why don't we just draft the way we did in 2010 every year? Isn't that a better allocation of resources than spending that money in Major League free agency where we are forced to be bottom feeders for free agents.
theshow
Rookie Baller

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:31 pm

Any chance of seeing any of this year's draft picks (other than Pom) open '11 in the high minors (C-Bus or Akron)? Any chance of Pom throwing for the Tribe on opening day?
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:49 pm

Ask him where he's been all of our lives :biggrin:

Tell him he's our fave FO guy.

Tell him he's a rock star on this board.

Tell him if I had another son I'd name him Brad Grant.

Tell him to keep drafting the high upside talent; nobody's gonna blame him if he's got some misses. It's WAY better than drafting the Trevor Crowe's of the world.

Okay seriously:

Ask him if he targets anyone for next year's draft this early in the process. Not necessarily who the guy is but if there are at least college guys that they've already scouted that they're interested in. If not already, how soon do they start thinking about it?

Do they crosscheck every guy that they draft or are some of the later guys drafted just on the scout's say so?

Did they draft Wolters as a SS expecting him to remain there, or just as MIF talent that they expect to be a ML player?

Is there a chance that they might redraft Burch Smith?

With probably no significant FA signings & at worst a No. 7 or 8 pick next year, does he forsee a similar draft budget next year as compared to this year?

Does the possible change in the draft procedures in 2 years affect the way they'll draft next year?

What changes does he forsee & how does he think that they'll affect the process?

Will FA compensation by draft picks be changed? Will FA compensation be lessened or strengthened?

Will changes in the draft favor the weaker teams or take away some of the advantages to drafting early?

All I can think of right now. Tell Grant thanks for doing such a fine job.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:58 pm

Here's another set of related questions I thought of (and they may be germane to the Mirabelli interview as it affects Latin/International operations as well):

What do you think of the idea of a global draft? What do you see as the chances of the global draft becoming reality (especially in light of the Alderson intiative)? How would it affect the way the Tribe goes about the draft? How would it affect the way the Tribe goes about it's International scouting operations? In your opinion, would a global draft be a boon to small market teams, further exacerbate the current competitive divide, or have no real effect? Would you like to see the draft enlarged to make up for the loss of international free agent signings if a global draft were to come to pass?
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:17 pm

theshow wrote:It was like Christmas in June with all the higher upside, harder to sign players. Ask him point blank: why don't we just draft the way we did in 2010 every year? Isn't that a better allocation of resources than spending that money in Major League free agency where we are forced to be bottom feeders for free agents.

This is one I definitely plan to ask.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TitoFrancona » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:09 pm

Like to know what the strengths are for 2011's draft? Especially the early rounds.
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:46 pm

The Indians went overslot for more players than any other team in the 2010 draft from what I see. Does he expect any repurcusions from MLB as a result? Will he continue the practice? Does he feel the Indians have to overpay for prospects since they are baseball's poorest team and could remain so in the near future?

Everyone wants to find out about Bartolone, including me. But I really want to know how they found Clayton Cook? He was way off radar.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby JP_Frost » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:05 pm

Why didn't they sign Burch Smith? In fact, why didn't Grant and Shapiro rob a bank to match his bonus demands?
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:44 am

Could you ask if they have any interest in Barret Loux?
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:34 pm

Talked to Brad and asked a lot of the questions posed here. He is not as forthcoming and brutally honest as Mirabelli, but he provided lots of info on Bartolone, Jones, their draft process, etc.

Also, Daz, he declined comment on Loux saying they don't talk about free agents not under contract. Take from that what you will. I do know though that prior to asking him that they have kicked the tires on him but I think their view of him is a lot different (lower) than several teams.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:28 am

So, Tony, are you planning on posting this interview or is it just between you & Grant? :friends:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:27 pm

Rocky55 wrote:So, Tony, are you planning on posting this interview or is it just between you & Grant? :friends:

It is set to post....was going to post it today (Sunday) but decided to hold until Monday just for you. :diablo: :s_wink
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:12 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:So, Tony, are you planning on posting this interview or is it just between you & Grant? :friends:

It is set to post....was going to post it today (Sunday) but decided to hold until Monday just for you. :diablo: :s_wink

Sorry guys; it's not wise to rush an artist at work. :angel:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:14 am

Just finished reading the Grant interview. Excellent stuff, Tony. At least for me, you covered most everything I wanted to hear. I didn't have any of those"Why didn't he ask Blah, Blah, Blah...." moments.

I think I remember something from the "Smoke Signals" interview with Lavisky that he(Lavisky) said that he played ball with one of Grant's kids...is that right or am I having a senior moment? Reason is that I was wondering if Grant was a local guy. I don't know if I've ever seen his bio & don't really remember reading about how long he's been with the org.

Anyway, he's the one guy in the org that I fully approve of & I hope they keep him around a long time.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:21 am

Rocky55 wrote:Just finished reading the Grant interview. Excellent stuff, Tony. At least for me, you covered most everything I wanted to hear. I didn't have any of those"Why didn't he ask Blah, Blah, Blah...." moments.

I think I remember something from the "Smoke Signals" interview with Lavisky that he(Lavisky) said that he played ball with one of Grant's kids...is that right or am I having a senior moment? Reason is that I was wondering if Grant was a local guy. I don't know if I've ever seen his bio & don't really remember reading about how long he's been with the org.

Anyway, he's the one guy in the org that I fully approve of & I hope they keep him around a long time.

Grant is pretty much a local guy. Went to school at University School (Huntington Valley, OH) and went to Miami OH for college. He has been in the org for 17 years now, started as an intern but moved into Scouting Department in 1996 as an assistant and was the Assistant Director of Scouting from 1999-2007 before taking over as the Director of Amateur Scouting in 2008. His brother-in-law is Lee Macphail, who is the Director of Pro Scouting for the Orioles.

I have yet to transcribe the Lavisky interview and clarify, but it wasn't Grant's kids that Lavisky played with (both his kids aren't even 9 years old yet). It was some other family member I believe.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:21 pm

Great interview! Except for not going into the repercussions for going over slot (double secret probation? :biggrin: ), his answers were very informative. By the way, did Grant's comments about Bartolone being known in the scouting industry but "not being a name in Baseball America" come off as a slight dig at BA when you were talking with him? I'm asking only because I sorta read it that way.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby TitoFrancona » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:00 pm

Great interview Tony. It's always great to get it straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. Looks like you addressed just about every question presented to you. Thanks again.
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect

Postby rsamak » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:45 pm

Nice to get a report on Bartolone along with the explanation.
rsamak
Undrafted Free Agent

Return to Indians Prospect Talk