RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

HOME RUNS

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

HOME RUNS

Postby OldManStan » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:59 pm

Can someone tell me why Kersten is getting no recognition? Guy has 15 home runs on the year and no one would know it.
OldManStan
Undrafted Free Agent

Re: HOME RUNS

Postby elrod enchilada » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:14 pm

He is 24, in low A, and hitting under .250. He strikes out a lot and rarely walks. He flopped bigtime in Kinston. He is a first baseman, so his bat has to do the heavy lifting. He has a long way to go and very little time. Lake County has few position prospects with much promise, but even saying that, I think Holt, Frawley, Smith, Smit, Perez, Folgia and Martinez have a better chance of ever getting within sniffing distance of the major leagues.

He is better than Carlson.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:49 pm

elrod enchilada wrote:He is 24, in low A, and hitting under .250. He strikes out a lot and rarely walks. He flopped bigtime in Kinston. He is a first baseman, so his bat has to do the heavy lifting. He has a long way to go and very little time. Lake County has few position prospects with much promise, but even saying that, I think Holt, Frawley, Smith, Smit, Perez, Folgia and Martinez have a better chance of ever getting within sniffing distance of the major leagues.

He is better than Carlson.

+1
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:40 am

OldManStan wrote:Can someone tell me why Kersten is getting no recognition? Guy has 15 home runs on the year and no one would know it.

Love his thunder.....the problem is his age works against him and at the level he is at. If he were 3-4 years younger and doing what he is doing in Lake County, he'd certainly get recognition.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:29 pm

He also strikes out about once a game. I think we've found the next Russell Branyan. :biggrin:
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby tribefan611 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:04 pm

Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:He also strikes out about once a game. I think we've found the next Russell Branyan. :biggrin:

Just what we need. :wacko:

Branyan still strikes out more than that.
tribefan611
Single-A Phenom

Postby OldManStan » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:10 pm

Another RBI double and 3 run home run tonight. Age is age. This is his first full year, numbers look good to me.
OldManStan
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:20 pm

This has to be a joke. His OBP is under .300.
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:21 pm

OldManStan wrote:Another RBI double and 3 run home run tonight. Age is age. This is his first full year, numbers look good to me.

There's more to minor league baseball and especially a prospect than just statistics...
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby criznit2009 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:25 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
OldManStan wrote:Another RBI double and 3 run home run tonight. Age is age. This is his first full year, numbers look good to me.

There's more to minor league baseball and especially a prospect than just statistics...

Thats only true if it aberration, if he does this next year at Kinston or.. Then the heads will turn with a little more interest and possibly considered the top prospect we have manning 1B, in the whole system...Though thats open for debate.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:33 pm

criznit2009 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

Thats only true if it aberration, if he does this next year at Kinston or.. Then the heads will turn with a little more interest and possibly considered the top prospect we have manning 1B, in the whole system...Though thats open for debate.

24 year olds in Single-A are not considered prospects. Not my rule, just passing it along.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Jake Taylor » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:49 pm

I think Victor Martinez would have been to 3rd by the time Kersten hit 2nd with his double tonight. This guy looks like he'd lose to Garko by 10 yards in the 40.

The ball does explode off his bat if he squares it up, though. I just don't think he's going to be able to square the ball up.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:16 am

In all fairness to Kersten, he's a great guy, so I am extremely happy that he is playing well. If he has any future in the game, the power is going to have to come through for him. It's good to see that of late it has.....the problem is though he turns 25 in four months. I always hold out for the best though with these guys, so you never know I guess.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:35 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
criznit2009 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

24 year olds in Single-A are not considered prospects. Not my rule, just passing it along.

I think the technical term is "Independent League Prospect." :biggrin:
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby criznit2009 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:56 pm

I only replied to this thread to provoke discussion, not that I think he is a "prospect" by any stretch. Though hitting 35+ HR next year might do something for him

Anyway just want to make it clear.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OldManStan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:40 pm

I dont know much about the league but since he is a year older than everyone else he should just take all the game winning home runs and RBIs and just leave it as is?
OldManStan
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Jake Taylor » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:27 pm

OldManStan wrote:I dont know much about the league but since he is a year older than everyone else he should just take all the game winning home runs and RBIs and just leave it as is?

The league average for Low-A is closer to 21... 24.5 is slightly above the average age for a AA player. He's going to need to get his OBP close to .400 and hit about 25 HR in A+/AA next year to start to get the heads to turn.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby jellis » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:31 am

age is always the key and if the Indians thought he was anythign other than filler he would not be in A ball, great he is having a great year, but Hrs and Rbis dont tell the fell tale and big power doesnt matter if you cant get on base ask scott morgan
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Return to Indians Prospect Talk