RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Amateur Draft

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2011 Amateur Draft

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:15 pm

Thanks for the info, Word. Russell doesn’t seem to have pure infield skills; his throwing action, in particular (I think it might have something to do with his footwork). He definitely moves well with athletic actions, though, so while others may look more pure at the position, I think he’s got potential.

The things that stand out the most are (1) he has a very projectable body with athletic proportions and (2) his bat speed is already tremendous. He’s thin right now, but he’s got the body structure to really grow in to. When he physically matures in the upper body, the type of bat speed he’ll be able to produce should be downright scary. Sheffield-type bat speed comparisons are very much within reason. I doubt he’s got the contact skills that Sheffield amazingly had, but from a potential standpoint Russell is very impressive.

Couldn’t help but look at some videos of other players, but another HS 2012 guy that looks really impressive is Lance McCullers, Jr. The guy is a very talented baseball player. Can’t see him run, but it looks like he can do everything. Great arm speed, nice tall arm slot (good leverage) on the mound. He’s a little on the shorter side for a top pitching prospect but I don’t think its an issue b/c he throws tall. He’d be an early pick if just a position player, but to me its clear his best potential is on the mound.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby TheWord » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:23 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
TheWord wrote:Quick note on Addy Russell...

I worked with Team USA for their 16U trials and ensuing trip to Mexico in October, and Addison was with us for that.

Great talent and a great kid, had an arm injury that prevented him from making the final squad.

As you've already seen he's got great bat speed and some natural fluidity that you just don't find in every 16 year old kid you see at a tournament. Seemed like the injury was just dead arm which made his mechanics get a bit sloppy. He's got a lot of work to do to stay at shortstop, as I think he was the 3rd best defensive shortstop of the three guys who had a chance there. In terms of potential though, he was clearly the number one guy. Just not there yet.

Really loosened up after he found out he wouldn't make the final team, played loose and hit an pretty nice opposite field bomb in the closing scrimmage.

Quiet kid who goes about his business and really never said a word to anyone all week. Injury was a pretty tough thing to take as you might expect, but he and his family made sure he went and got checked out immediately and didn't try and play through it (something no 16 year old should ever do).

Just a boatload of potential there and a certain first rounder next year when it's all said and done.

Lots of work to do.

By the way, those PG rankings for the younger kids are purely subjective. They're really just a list of the better kids and don't have a very precise order that is expected to be taken as set in stone.

Thanks for the update. The vid is dated August 14. I have a few things I noticed; PG has him listed at 6' 185lbs. The vid has him at 6'1" 193lbs. Do you have a sense that he might grow out of SS or does he look like he can stick? PG lists him as a 6.79 runner for the 60.

I read an article on the Pace team after a semifinal win over Tampa King in the FL state tournament. It calls Russell a "diamond in the rough" and also says that even though he was hitting .556 with 11 HR, he is "known more for his range & arm at shortstop".

This is a sophomore playing for what was at the time the #2 ranked HS team nationally. The opposing coach said that he wanted to ask Russell for his autograph & comped him with Barry Larkin.

I'd REALLY like the Tribe to draft this kid.

Didn't see the date, the video was taken BEFORE I saw him.

I definitely think it's possible he outgrows the SS position, and I think he'd make a pretty good center fielder if he did.

Barry Larkin is interesting comp, pretty lofty words for certain.

That bat looks like it will play, regardless of position.
TheWord
Rookie Baller

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:57 pm

New fave vid on youtube. Check out Dan Vogelbach. High School kid from FL, 5'11"/280 lbs. Yeah, 280lbs. Currently a 1B, realistically a DH in the making. Looks like Babe Ruth Jr. Hit a 508' HR at something called the power showcase. You should see this kid run. Anyone remember Bill Peavey?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby elrod enchilada » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:42 am

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/Vie ... ticle=5174

Check out point #10. Simpson thinks that beginning in 2012 there will be a hard cap on signing draftees.

This means that 2011 will be the last season a team like the Tribe can spend heavily on the draft and hope to use that as a way to give it some leverage against teams that can carry a massive major league payroll.

It also means that it will probably be much easier to convince 2011 high school draftees to sign, because after the implementation of a hard cap it is less likely that most of them will be able to do better in 2014.

This strike me as a very good year to draft an inordinate number of talented HS prospects between picks 20-50, and try to sign a number of them. Increase the budget for signings this year as much as possible. It will possibly be our last chance to do so.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:38 am

Elrod.. # 10 also takes away the financial advantage of large market clubs signing international players.. Couple the international signing with the hard cap, and the "Talent Acquisition" playing field becomes level for ALL clubs. It will be "who does the best evaluation/projection" of players..not who can spend the most (Does anyone really believe that Matt Bush was selected in front of Verlander because the Padres liked him better?). While recent drafts by the Indians are encouraging in this respect.. historically, it's not been the STRENGTH that it needs to be..

The trading of draft picks comment maybe the one part of the new CBA that may be the MOST productive to the future of the Indians.. For clubs that have a history of not knowing how to evaluate & project MLB talent, this could be.. (this could be the Indians best chance to build from their strengths: acquiring propsects already drafted ) a means to get the guys the Indians really need.. and not require them to trade away near MLB FA's.

It will be curious to see if the compensation rules remain in effect...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:56 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Elrod.. # 10 also takes away the financial advantage of large market clubs signing international players.. Couple the international signing with the hard cap, and the "Talent Acquisition" playing field becomes level for ALL clubs. It will be "who does the best evaluation/projection" of players..not who can spend the most (Does anyone really believe that Matt Bush was selected in front of Verlander because the Padres liked him better?). While recent drafts by the Indians are encouraging in this respect.. historically, it's not been the STRENGTH that it needs to be..

The trading of draft picks comment maybe the one part of the new CBA that may be the MOST productive to the future of the Indians.. For clubs that have a history of not knowing how to evaluate & project MLB talent, this could be.. (this could be the Indians best chance to build from their strengths: acquiring propsects already drafted ) a means to get the guys the Indians really need.. and not require them to trade away near MLB FA's.

It will be curious to see if the compensation rules remain in effect...

I think even if no cap is instituted the compensation rules will be gone
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:35 pm

There's a new mock draft up at 5 Tool Talk. Has the Tribe picking Taylor Jungman with the 8th pick. It's a great pick, IMO, we'd be lucky to get him. That said, good as he is (he's REALLY good), he's another RHP. I'm probably wrong but I'd like to see more position players from this draft. I've been pretty much been hoping that maybe George Springer might fall to us. Best case scenario Springer is ready when Choo leaves. I know, drafting for need, taboo. Like to see some high end bats from this draft.

Funny thing about the dicussion on compensation. There are 27 supplemental 1st Round picks. We're going to go 60 picks between our 1st & 2nd Round pick. Ridiculous.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby theshow » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:30 am

Rocky55 wrote:Funny thing about the dicussion on compensation. There are 27 supplemental 1st Round picks. We're going to go 60 picks between our 1st & 2nd Round pick. Ridiculous.

The picks are getting ridiculous... They always end up going to teams like the Red Sox, because a team like an Indians who would lose guys like Sabathia and Lee trade them... The Tribe would rather just get prospects at no cost then pay signing bonuses to the supplemental round and first round pick.... Also rating relief pitchers as type A is stupid, like the year the Red Sox got 2 picks from the Braves after having Billy Wagner for a few months. Baseball needs to fix this system.
theshow
Rookie Baller

Postby OhioBaseball » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:32 am

Id be disappointed with Jungmann. He reminds me quite a bit of Daniel Bard when he was at UNC. The Red Sox have done a terrific job developing Bard, but he was a guy that had to be re-worked before he signed. I made a trip or two to Chapel Hill to see Bard and Andrew Miller when they were in college, and while I really liked Bard's pitching talents (great body, great arm speed), he came too much from the side and his stuff was too flat. He often struggled with his slurve (more of a slider break, but curve velo) b/c he got poor downhill leverage; it'd be hung often, and even when threw it well good hitters made good contact. Jungmann, while quite talented, is very similar.

Daniel Bard (when he was at UNC) and Jungman had/have very similar bodies, velocities and poor arm slots. I'd argue that Jungman's delivery is actually worse b/c he does not come through clean when throwing. Jungmann is 6'5", but the throws with the downward leverage of someone 6'0". It's a shame. Bard was similar.

I think the Red Sox saw Bard similarly to how I did b/c after they drafted him they changed his arm slot. He quickly went to a traditional, taller 3/4 slot after signing. He really struggled going to the 3/4 slot initially. Look at his numbers in 2007; he struggled mightily with control (78 BB, 47 K and 27 wild pitches in 75 IP). Luckily for the Red Sox, Bard's transformation worked, but it doesn't always work out that way.

(This is me pounding the table) You do not draft a guy in the top 10 overall who needs a new arm slot!

Jungmann may end up being OK throwing the way he does, but I would bet against it. He'd have to end up in relief. You're much better off taking a HS or JC arm with similar talents and re-working his delivery and paying much less than you would pay Jungmann 8th overall. Its an unattractive risk/reward. Just how I see it.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:34 am

Rocky55 wrote:There's a new mock draft up at 5 Tool Talk. Has the Tribe picking Taylor Jungman with the 8th pick. It's a great pick, IMO, we'd be lucky to get him. That said, good as he is (he's REALLY good), he's another RHP. I'm probably wrong but I'd like to see more position players from this draft. I've been pretty much been hoping that maybe George Springer might fall to us. Best case scenario Springer is ready when Choo leaves. I know, drafting for need, taboo. Like to see some high end bats from this draft.

Funny thing about the dicussion on compensation. There are 27 supplemental 1st Round picks. We're going to go 60 picks between our 1st & 2nd Round pick. Ridiculous.

don't the rays have like 12 picks in the first 60. I expect them to punt their first because no way they can sign that many guys and the first and second they can punt and get next year. In this case it might make the most finical success for them
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:04 am

theshow wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:Funny thing about the dicussion on compensation. There are 27 supplemental 1st Round picks. We're going to go 60 picks between our 1st & 2nd Round pick. Ridiculous.

The picks are getting ridiculous... They always end up going to teams like the Red Sox, because a team like an Indians who would lose guys like Sabathia and Lee trade them... The Tribe would rather just get prospects at no cost then pay signing bonuses to the supplemental round and first round pick.... Also rating relief pitchers as type A is stupid, like the year the Red Sox got 2 picks from the Braves after having Billy Wagner for a few months. Baseball needs to fix this system.

Was talking to Mirabelli the other day and I asked him what he thought about this. We joked some, but he said something along the lines of "Tampa will have 10 picks before we make our 3rd pick so you figure that one out". Needless to say, teams know the system is whack.....and I see some kind of change being adopted with the next CBA. Dunno how drastic a change, but you can be sure there will be some kind of revision with the compensation system.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby petes999 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Just remember that part of our trade value for Lee and CC is based on the rental team getting two picks if they lose them. So, they are willing to give up more. Now what part of the equation is 2 picks and what part is value of "rental" is hard to say. But, part of Rays getting 10 picks is also factored into us getting Laporta, Brantley and Branson for 4 months of CC.

I would guess that the change to the system will be more of value of "B" free agents .... where "A"s will still get two picks but "B"s may only get a 2nd round supplement or a new supplement will be inserted 1/2 way through the 2nd round. This will help teams like us and preserve our 2nd round pick instead of our 2nd pick is really a 3rd round pick but still give the loss of a "B" agent something.

Also, I would look at changing "A", "B" ... to "A" (2/3 of current A") - get 2 picks, "B+" (1/3 of current As and 1/3 of current Bs) get - 1 first round supplement and "B- (2/3 of current Bs) get 1 2nd round supplement. Just seems unfair that CC is equivalent to a Wagner and others.
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:56 pm

petes999 wrote:Just remember that part of our trade value for Lee and CC is based on the rental team getting two picks if they lose them. So, they are willing to give up more. Now what part of the equation is 2 picks and what part is value of "rental" is hard to say. But, part of Rays getting 10 picks is also factored into us getting Laporta, Brantley and Branson for 4 months of CC.

I would guess that the change to the system will be more of value of "B" free agents .... where "A"s will still get two picks but "B"s may only get a 2nd round supplement or a new supplement will be inserted 1/2 way through the 2nd round. This will help teams like us and preserve our 2nd round pick instead of our 2nd pick is really a 3rd round pick but still give the loss of a "B" agent something.

Also, I would look at changing "A", "B" ... to "A" (2/3 of current A") - get 2 picks, "B+" (1/3 of current As and 1/3 of current Bs) get - 1 first round supplement and "B- (2/3 of current Bs) get 1 2nd round supplement. Just seems unfair that CC is equivalent to a Wagner and others.

What really sucked for the Brewers was that the Angels got the Yankees' first round pick for Texiera and all they got were suplemental picks. That's one issue. If you sign 2 type A FA's you only lose 1 first round pick.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:24 am

TonyIPI wrote:
theshow wrote:

Was talking to Mirabelli the other day and I asked him what he thought about this. We joked some, but he said something along the lines of "Tampa will have 10 picks before we make our 3rd pick so you figure that one out". Needless to say, teams know the system is whack.....and I see some kind of change being adopted with the next CBA. Dunno how drastic a change, but you can be sure there will be some kind of revision with the compensation system.

I don't like the draft compensation system, either. The draft definitely needs to be reformed. Teams don't really even need 1st round picks anymore b/c they can just sign guys over slot, as the Indians have done, that fall in the draft.

I will say, however, that these compensation picks appear to be expensive. Signing bonuses around $1 million. Draft picks have very high failure rates, even the early rounders. Looking at the 1999-2003 supplemental rounders (see below), the classes really only yielded 2 legitimate All-Stars; David Wright (outstanding player) and Brian Roberts. Adam Jones looks like a player with good potential. Guys like Chris Duncan, Casey Fossum, Aaron Heilman, Kelly Johnson, Jeff Mathis and maybe Jarrod Saltalamacchia are nice players that were good investments, but the rest appears to have provided very little. Colby Lewis didn't help the Rangers until AFTER they signed him as a free agent.

I think some teams could really make a case that some of these supplemental picks are actually liabilities. When only like 1 in 6 or 7 players end up providing value to the teams that originally drafted and developed them, you've got to question whether the $900k or whatever is worth it. I tend to believe they are worth the investment, but a case could be made on the other side. These draft prospects get paid quite well.

(1999) Casey Daigle, Jay Gerke, Jeff Heaverlo, Joshua Cenate, Brian West, Nick Stocks, Jason Repko, Colby Lewis, Jerome Williams, Brad Baker, Casey Burns, Mike Rosamond, Jimmy Gobble, Scott Rice, Rob Purvis, Chris Duncan, Mike Mead, Casey Fossum, Mike Bynum, BRIAN ROBERTS, Nick Trzesniak

(2000) Aaron Heilman, Tripper Johnson, Dustin McGowan, Dustin Moseley, Ty Goodwin, Bobby Keppel, Derek Thompson, Kelly Johnson, Chad Hawkins, Aaron Herr.

(2001) Bryan Bass, Michael Woods, Jeff Mathis, Bronson Sardinha, JD Martin, Michael Garciaparra, John Rheinecker, DAVID WRIGHT, Wyatt Allen, Richard Lewis, Todd Linden, Jon Skaggs, Mike Conroy, Jayson Nix.

(2002) Greg Miller, Luke Hagerty, Matt Whitney, Dan Meyer, Jeremy Brown, Chad Blasko, Steve Obenchain, Matt Clanton, Mark Teahen, Mark Schramek, Micah Schilling

(2003) Adam Miller, Matt Murton, Omar Quintanilla, Craig Whitaker, Luis Atilano, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Adam Jones
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:04 am

OhioBaseball: "..I think some teams could really make a case that some of these supplemental picks are actually liabilities. When only like 1 in 6 or 7 players end up providing value to the teams that originally drafted and developed them, you've got to question whether the $900k or whatever is worth it..."
With the Indians historical draft results, it would be HUGE to see 1 in 7 or 1 in 14 contribute..but that's the nature of the beast...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:47 am

A few interesting items following the 1st weekend of the college season:

The top SP specs mostly did as expected, led by Taylor Jungmann's gem, 9IP, 5H, 0R, 1BB, 9K, 95 pitches. That was for OB :biggrin: .

Gerritt Cole actually did him one better: 9IP, 4H, 0R, 1BB, 11K. He faced 2 batters over the minimum but threw 104 pitches.

Purke threw shutout ball but only went four innings. Sonny Gray got smacked around a bit: 4.1IP, 4H, 3ER, 2BB, 6K.

I thought Jackie Bradley Jr. did really well with 12AB, 4R, 7H, 3 Doubles, 1HR, .615/1.083/1.698.

Then I saw what Mikie Mahtook did: 9AB, 6R, 4H, 4HR(*), .545/1.778/2.323.

Bradley & Mahtook become the immediate front runners for the Tribe's pick at #8. As I said the last two years, Mahtook is close to a Sizemore clone as a player. Bradley is a lot like LeVon Washington. Maybe slower, maybe a bit more power. I'd take either one. I know it may seem reactionary(it is) after only three games but these guys have a history of great play.

Next thing I want to see is OB's scouting report on Walter Johnson. :friends:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:02 pm

Bradley & Mahtook become the immediate front runners for the Tribe's pick at #8

I know it may seem reactionary(it is) after only three games

Hah just a bit. Im glad you said it
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby daingean » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:38 pm

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/tech-baseball-player-skole-856270.html

Matt Skole GT Jr - his brother was a 1st rounder last year out of High School. Interesting prospect. Arrested on DUI charges.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:13 pm

Recently read draftsite.com's early projection has the tribe selecting Archie Bradley any chance the tribe would draft a high school player that high? It seems unlikely to me b/c they tend to play it safe with lower ceiling college players who are more projectable and closer to the bigs.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby JP_Frost » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:07 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Recently read draftsite.com's early projection has the tribe selecting Archie Bradley any chance the tribe would draft a high school player that high? It seems unlikely to me b/c they tend to play it safe with lower ceiling college players who are more projectable and closer to the bigs.

If we take a Bradley, it will likely be Jackie Bradley from South Carolina.

Btw, if anyone is interested in keeping up with all of the college scores and performances, go to D1baseball.com
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:32 pm

JP_Frost wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:Recently read draftsite.com's early projection has the tribe selecting Archie Bradley any chance the tribe would draft a high school player that high? It seems unlikely to me b/c they tend to play it safe with lower ceiling college players who are more projectable and closer to the bigs.

If we take a Bradley, it will likely be Jackie Bradley from South Carolina.

Btw, if anyone is interested in keeping up with all of the college scores and performances, go to D1baseball.com

What about Jed?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:49 pm

Gators' Karsten Whitson is 2-0, 10.1IP, 6H, 1ER, 2BB, 14K. Hate to be a Pad's fan right now.

If there was a college version of the CYA, Taylor Jungmann is way in the lead right now. Second straight CG Shut Out: 9IP, 4H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 9K. That's 18IP, 9H, 1BB, 18K over 2 starts. Dude's a stud.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:49 pm

Jungmann is certainly doing well, but that's nothing new. He's been an amazing pitcher at Texas. I care mostly about how he projects above A-ball, and I think he'll have difficulties as a starter. Just my thoughts.

One of my favorite college arms this year is Matt Barnes. I think he projects extremely well to the major league level. He's had a nice start to the year, and had a strong start vs. California-Berkeley yesterday.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:14 am

OhioBaseball wrote:Jungmann is certainly doing well, but that's nothing new. He's been an amazing pitcher at Texas. I care mostly about how he projects above A-ball, and I think he'll have difficulties as a starter. Just my thoughts.

One of my favorite college arms this year is Matt Barnes. I think he projects extremely well to the major league level. He's had a nice start to the year, and had a strong start vs. California-Berkeley yesterday.

To me Barnes should be a slam dunk top 5 pick, If he is sitting there when we pick some teams F'd up
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:03 am

The Indians will take the best player available (bpa) when it comes to their turn to select.. the question is.. how is that measured?.. Does "need" add into the bpa equation? Who should be viewed on the top "pick a number" draft prospect lists as being someone the Indians should avoid (sonny gray?) Should the Indians take a chance and draft a high school kid with significant ceiling over a lower ceiling higher floor college junior?. Does signability really matter? Does the change to the signing window matter?.. Who goes in the first seven picks that screws up the Indians' guy?..All these and many more questions need to be answered as the June draft approaches.. For what it's worth,

If the Indians select a position player: Josh Bell, Dante Bichette, Jackie Bradley, Tyler Green, Christian Lopes, Ricky Oropesa, Travis Shaw, George Springer, Preston Tucker, BA Vollmuth should be looked at.. (note: alphabetical order)

If the Indians select a pitcher.. Cole, Purke & Youngman

Any thoughts on the 'accumulated' list.. would be most welcome..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:10 am

There are some who believe Sonny Gray could be a starting pitcher, others say he's a closer. I like his stuff but not his size. If George Springer were some how there I'd snatch him up but Im a firm believer the Tribe will go pitcher in the first round. They may go after the best bat available but it's hard to see Rendon, Bradley, or Springer. Taylor Jungmann, Matt Barnes, Alex Meyer, Jack Armstrong could all be names they consider... I like Barnes and Armstrong. Armstrong will probably go later in the first though.
Daniel Norris, Archie Bradley, Dylan Bundy and Travis Harrison from the high school ranks.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:35 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:The Indians will take the best player available (bpa) when it comes to their turn to select.. the question is.. how is that measured?.. Does "need" add into the bpa equation? Who should be viewed on the top "pick a number" draft prospect lists as being someone the Indians should avoid (sonny gray?) Should the Indians take a chance and draft a high school kid with significant ceiling over a lower ceiling higher floor college junior?. Does signability really matter? Does the change to the signing window matter?.. Who goes in the first seven picks that screws up the Indians' guy?..All these and many more questions need to be answered as the June draft approaches.. For what it's worth,

If the Indians select a position player: Josh Bell, Dante Bichette, Jackie Bradley, Tyler Green, Christian Lopes, Ricky Oropesa, Travis Shaw, George Springer, Preston Tucker, BA Vollmuth should be looked at.. (note: alphabetical order)

If the Indians select a pitcher.. Cole, Purke & Youngman

Any thoughts on the 'accumulated' list.. would be most welcome..

While I am a fan of Lopes....if the Tribe is looking at a SS i'd rather them look at Francisco Lindor. Pretty much everyone is unanimous in that he'll stick at SS and like his bat skills better. Lopes has struggled a lot this year, and wouldn't shock me if he fell out of the 1st round.

I'd add both Bradley pitchers to the list too as guys to watch.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:50 pm

Barnes is my guy. Got word he was sitting 92-93 on Sunday vs. Cal, topping out at 95/96 a few times. Not as much heat as Cole, but there's quite a bit of projection left there.

I love college baseball and I like college pitching prospects, but a lot of time you look at these college arms and you can understand why they are in college and weren't inked out of high school (their arm slot sucks, too short, bad athletes/bodies, not enough velo, etc.). Barnes isn't really one of those guys. Sometimes some cold-weather guys with great arm speed and projectable bodies can sneak through the cracks.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby TheWord » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:24 am

Lindor...born leader on the field.

Love that kid.

Not sure he climbs up to 8th, but I really think he's got to be considered.
TheWord
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:32 pm

TheWord wrote:Lindor...born leader on the field.

Love that kid.

Not sure he climbs up to 8th, but I really think he's got to be considered.

Well Keith Law has him sitting at 8 on his current rankings. Not saying Law is the best guy to go by (far from it), but I think he'll get some top 10 looks this June if he has a good year.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:42 pm

My fave changes almost daily but I'm easy to please. Any toolsy, high upside guy is good. Trevor Crowe/Beau Mills/Jeremy Sowers, bad.

We might get a chance at Bubba Starling, which would be great. I'd take Josh Bell or Derek Fisher(love the power on both of these guys). Tyler Greene looks like a young Tulo out there. Travis Harrison isn't as good of an athlete as Starling, Bell, or Fisher but that kid can mash! I'm looking mostly at OF's lately. A friend of mine tells me(eye witness from a guy who's seen both) that Julius Gaines is as good with the glove as Lindor & might be available in the 2nd Round if we want to go SS. I like Swihart too but we're pretty stacked at catcher.

College position guys, I'm sticking with Mahtook & Jackie Bradley. Mahtook has gotten better every year. He's more like the old Grady than Grady is now. Either guy could take over for Grady in CF by the time his contract runs out, in the event that LeVon's arm isn't up to it.

We're set at 3B(CHIZ!!!), 2B, C, & RP for a while. We need SP's(always) & OF's. The good thing is that the draft is stacked with SP's & OF's.

Edit to add: check out Dillon Maples on youtube. Talented kid that I haven't read/heard much about.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:42 pm

For podcast listeners, Keith Law has started working on Baseball Today (iTunes, ESPN website) with Eric Karabell. I know Law isn't popular on this board, but I think he's good and is one of the very few media types that really knows how to scout.

I mention this b/c he talks about draft prospects often. Recently (the 17th?) he talked about Matt Purke and actually echoed my concerns with Purke, which got me kind of excited. Basically, he thinks Purke's arm slot is poor and he compared him to Madison Bumgarner, which I firmly agree with (I said the same thing after watching the WS this Oct). I think Purke is a good prospect, but he's got his issues. Bumgarner's a lot more physical than Purke, though, but similar low arm slot.

Law believes Cole and Rendon are the top 2 guys in this draft, and then there's a drop off at 3. It sounds like he thinks the 3rd overall selection will get a similar talent to what the 10th will. He is higher than me on Cole, but so are most.

You've gotta sift through 30 minutes or so to get to his draft talk, and it's sporadically in these podcasts, but Law knows what he's talking about and he's worth paying attention to.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:12 am

Comment on a few of the names mentioned here:

-Francisco Lindor.. appears to have all the tools to play SS.. but will he hit?.. not so certain of that. One thing that MUST be done right is getting a true projectable ML'er the first few picks in every draft. Lindor's bat concerns..

-Matty Barnes.. HUGE arm.. and he's gotten a lot better command of it.. Could be the guy if the Indians continue to load the minors with prospects that project to being legit ML pitchers.

-Bubba Starling may not be "signable"..he's supposed to be heading to the Big Ten to play QB for the Cornhuskers.. He may also be considered for a spot as a pitcher.. he's loaded with talent. It will come down to how green is the grass on your side of the fence...

imho.. Getting George Springer would be the real deal.. He's a blend of speed & power.. There doesn't appear to be anyone in this draft close him in that regard.. I'd also like to see the Indians get Preston Tucker in the 2nd round if he's available..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:42 am

I really think it is important the the tribe address the lack of a true "impact" bat in the lower levels. any 1B/OF who looks like a fella who can crush the ball out of the park should be a priority IMO. Will be interesting to see what kind of seasons Chen and Lavisky have, currently they are both catchers and IMO are the likely candidates for best power/most consistent numbers. Folks like Abreu could surpirse and even guys like Tice, Burnette, Aguilar and J.Romero (whom I like a bit) might surprise if you really want to reach.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:17 pm

criznit2009 wrote:I really think it is important the the tribe address the lack of a true "impact" bat in the lower levels. any 1B/OF who looks like a fella who can crush the ball out of the park should be a priority IMO. Will be interesting to see what kind of seasons Chen and Lavisky have, currently they are both catchers and IMO are the likely candidates for best power/most consistent numbers. Folks like Abreu could surpirse and even guys like Tice, Burnette, Aguilar and J.Romero (whom I like a bit) might surprise if you really want to reach.

I think can put Levon washington up there with Chen and Lavisky especially if he proves he can play OF (arm?).
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:54 pm

criznit2009 wrote:I really think it is important the the tribe address the lack of a true "impact" bat in the lower levels. any 1B/OF who looks like a fella who can crush the ball out of the park should be a priority IMO. Will be interesting to see what kind of seasons Chen and Lavisky have, currently they are both catchers and IMO are the likely candidates for best power/most consistent numbers. Folks like Abreu could surpirse and even guys like Tice, Burnette, Aguilar and J.Romero (whom I like a bit) might surprise if you really want to reach.
.. and that would be George Springer.. UConn OF'er.. speed and power are what he brings to the table.. perhaps the best combo of both in this coming draft... moreso than Rendon...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:14 pm

I found this top 150 prospects list on http://www.mlb.bonusbaby.com I DONT RECCOMEND CHECKING OUT THIS SITE, MY SPYWARE STOPPED A SERIOUS VIRUS THAT WAS LINKED ON THIS SITE!!![color=#BF0000][/color]
Rank Name Last Name , POS , Schools : Report

1 Anthony Rendon , 3B , Rice : Rendon has all the skills to be a great MLB 3B. Great power, good defense, strong arm. Easily the best prospect in the 2011 draft. Could be a top-tier 3B in the years to come.

2 Matt Purke , LHP , Texas Christian : Purke has a fastball that can reach the mid 90's and a nasty slider that are both plus pitches now. He has good command and poise. A future ace.

3 Gerrit Cole , RHP , UCLA : Cole has a great arm and can run it up to 98. He has a sharp curve and has a workhorse build. His only drawback is his command.

4 Sonny Gray , RHP , Vanderbilt : Gray has front of the rotation stuff, but is a short righthander. I don't care because he has the stuff and attitude to succeed and he could do it quickly after he is signed.

5 Daniel Norris , LHP , Science Hill HS, Johnson City, Tenn. : Norris has a 92-96 MPH FB with a plus CB and a good change for a HS pitcher, especially a lefty. He has room to get better and he needs polish.

6 Travis Harrison , OF/3B , Tustin (Calif.) HS : Harrison swings stiff some times but so did Harmon Killebrew. He is the best power hitting prep in the class. He's a good athlete so his mechanical issues should get ironed out quickly. My favorite prep bat in the class.

7 Taylor Jungmann , RHP , Texas : Jungmann has a FB that can sit mid 90's. He has two different breaking balls that are both outpitches at times. He doesn't scream ace, but should be a near lock for a 3rd starter if injury doesn’t strike and that is pretty valuable.

8 Trevor Bauer , RHP , UCLA : Bauer gets a Lincecum comp a lot. That is unfair to Bauer, because he isn't THAT good, but he is very good in his own right. Known for his unique warm ups, he has the arm to back up his attitude. He's a bulldog armed with a low 90's FB and a plus CB with good command and a good CH as well.

9 Jackie Bradley , OF , South Carolina : Bradley is a well rounded package with no huge tools. He has a plus arm, good range in CF and good speed. He has a quick bat and makes good contact. The one thing he lacks is power, but it may come. He had a wrist injury last season, so this season will show if that will be one of his playable
skills.

10 George Springer , OF , Connecticut : Springer has a ton of upside. He has enormous power, a great arm, good speed and can cover CF right now. He needs to work on hitting good offspeed pitches but he could be special.

11 Archie Bradley , RHP , Broken Arrow (Okla.) HS : Bradley is a great athlete who has a plus mid 90's fastball and a plus breaking ball. He's a two sport star committed to Oklahoma.

12 Bubba Starling , OF/RHP , Gardner Edgerton HS, Gardner, Kan. : Starling is a great athlete who can pitch, but will be an Outfielder if he doesn't end up a QB. He reminds me of a more athletic David McCarty, the former top Twins Prospect.

13 Dylan Bundy , RHP , Owasso (Okla.) HS : Bundy is the high school version of Gray, maybe a touch taller. He's a short righty who throws mid 90's with a plus breaking ball. He has some mileage on his arm though and is committed to Texas, where they don't take it easy on their pitchers.

14 Alex Meyer , RHP , Kentucky : Meyer has a mid 90's FB and a hammer curve with good control for a guy his size. Near Lock 1st rounder.

15 Austin Hedges , C , JSerra Catholic, San Juan Capistrano, Calif. : Hedges is loose and athletic for a catcher. He may not be built like a rock, but he can catch and he's a good hitter. He reminds me a little of Buster Posey.

16 Joshua Tobias , 2B , Southeast Guilford Greensboro NC : Tobias is a 3B now, but I think his arm will relegate him to 2B. He is short and stocky and has a really quick bat. He is really fast and has a lot of raw power. He could be a 20-20 guy at 2B.

17 Henry Owens , LHP , Edison HS, Huntington Beach, Calif. : Big lefty sits low 90's but could add a few MPH's when he adds strength. He knows what he's doing on the mound. He has a big, slow breaking ball as well.

18 Michael Kelly , P , West Boca Raton (Boca Raton Fla.) : Kelly is a long lean projectable righty. He can already hit 96 so there could be more in there. He has a decent breaking ball and is a Florida commit.

19 Matt Barnes , RHP , Connecticut : Barnes is flying up draft charts with a great summer and a mid to upper 90's FB. He has a nice breaking ball that he is commanding better recently. Looking like a lock for the first round right now.

20 Dillon Howard , RHP , Searcy (Ark.) HS : Howard is a tall righty who can run it up to the mid 90's but sits more 92-93. Has a powerful low 80's slider as well as a solid changeup from a high schooler.

21 Jack Armstrong , RHP , Vanderbilt : Armstrong has a lot of projection. He has the arm to throw mid 90's and can spin a curve but he's still inconsistent with his command.

22 Alex Dickerson , OF , Indiana : Dickerson's value is mostly in his bat but it has a lot of value. He has big power and can hit for average as well.

23 Dillon Maples , RHP , Pinecrest HS, Southern Pines, N.C. : Maples has a low 90's fastball and a sharp slider. He needs some polish but he has a lot of potential.

24 Zach Cone , OF , Georgia : Cone is an under the radar 5 tool guy, if that's possible. Watching Georgia, he stands out as a potential star but he is raw and inconsistent. Potential high reward guy.

25 Nick Burdi , RHP , Downers Grove South Downers Grove IL : Burdi can hit 95 and has good movement on his FB. Tight Slider is a solid pitch.

26 Blake Swihart , C , Rio Rancho, N.M. : Swihart has a line drive swing with potential for home run power. He is a solild defensively and is one of the best catching prospects in the 2011 draft.

27 Derek Fisher , OF , Cedar Crest, Rexmont, PA : Fisher has a beautiful swing. He's already 6'3, 205 and could end up outgrowing the OF. He should hit enough for any position though.

28 Danny Hultzen , LHP , Virginia : Hultzen has a low 90's fastball and is one of the safer picks in the draft.

29 Riccio Torrez , SS , Arizona State : Torrez has a good bat and should be able to play in the middle infield, at 2B more likely than SS, though. He could be an offensive 2B while being very solid defensively.

30 Mikie Mahtook , OF , Louisiana State : Mahtook is a gamer. He has a solid arm and have above average speed. Can handle CF defensively and has some pop. He's more of a line drive hitter but he's not just a slap hitter.

31 Levi Michael , 2B , North Carolina : Michael could be an above average offensive 2B. He has a nice line drive swing, good speed and arm and is strong defensively.

32 Tyler Beede , RHP , Lawrence Academy, Groton, Mass. : Beede has a projectable body and already has a 4 pitch mix that he has command of. He is polished and has the upside of a #2 starter.

33 Kevin Jacob , P , Georgia Tech : Jacob is a tall righty who can run it up to 99. He's had injury issues in the past and is a senior, so I'm not sure where he'll go in the draft. He's a Boras client as well.

34 Preston Tucker , 1B , Florida : Tucker has a great approach and looks like he could be a middle of the lineup kind of guy, but he doesn't hit the ball with authority often.

35 B.A. Vollmuth , SS , Southern Mississippi : Vollmuth is big for a SS and may have to move to 3B if he looses a step. He should have average power for a 3B but his contact is an issue.

36 Rookie Davis , P-IF , Dixon HS, Holly Ridge N.C. : Davis is a massive kid who can hit for enormous power with good bat speed. He is also a pitcher. He throws in the low 90's with a nice curve.

37 Christian Montgomery , RHP , Lawrence Central HS, Indianapolis : Montgomery has a 92-95 MPH fastball with a really good breaking ball and a nice changeup. His biggest flaw is his weight but it doesn't bother me as long it doesn't hurt his endurance.

38 Brandon Nimmo , CF , East HS,Cheyenne, Wyo. : Nimmo doesn't have high school ball where he is from, so he is raw since he only plays summer ball. He has a great feel for hitting though.

39 Bryan Brickhouse , RHP , The Woodlands (The Woodlands, Texas) : Brickhouse is a loose lean righty with potential. His command is lacking and doesn't have the stuff of his former teammate Jameson Taillon. He needs to gain polish but has a good ceiling.

40 Austin Slater , SS , The Bolles HS, Jacksonville, Fla. : Slater has a really nice swing with some power. His range may make him more suited for 3B and he definitely has the arm for the hot corner.

41 Greg Bird , C , Grandview HS : Bird is a big catcher that is a decent defender but may outgrow the position. His biggest asset is his bat. He has a short left handed swing and is a really good hitter.

42 Hawtin Buchanan , P , Biloxi HS : Hawtin is all projection. He's 6'8" and throws low 90's. He's athletic for his size and is definitely a project worth taking a shot on.

43 Joshua Bell , OF , Jesuit HS, Dallas TX : Bell has a big frame with an uppercut swing. Reminds me a little of Preston Wilsonearly in his career.

44 Harold Martinez , 3B , Miami : Martinez was highly touted out of high school but never reached the ceiling many expected. He is a solid defender at 3B and should have the bat to be an average MLB 3B.

45 Jason Esposito , 3B , Vanderbilt : Esposito turned down a lot of money to go to Vanderbilt but hasn't showed the bat many expected in games. He can put on a show in BP but it has yet to translate.

46 Jed Bradley , LHP , Georgia Tech : Bradley isn't a flamethrower but has a nice 3 pitch mix and is a solid pitchability lefty who, if he adds a couple MPH's, he could be really good.

47 Kolten Wong , 2B , Hawaii : Wong is a short stocky 2B. He can hit well and is an adequate defender and runner. He could be a solid offensive 2B.

48 Ryan Carpenter , LHP , Gonzaga : Carpenter is a big lefty with good stuff. He has a tight curveball and a good fastball. He reminds me of Drew Smyly, a 2nd round pick of the Tigers from last season.

49 Ricky Oropesa , 3B , Southern California : Oropesa can hit the ball a mile, but swings and misses an awful lot. He is decent at 3B and has a good arm to stay there. The contact issue is the key.

50 Matty Ott , RP , Louisianna State : Ott has good stuff and a bulldog mentality as the closer for LSU. He could maybe get a shot as a starter but is a sure bet to at least be a solid reliever in the majors.

51 Austin Wood , P , Southern California : Wood had a great showing in the Cape Cod league this summer. He joins the ranks of power arms out of college this year. Control is his major issue. Could go very high if he gains more command.

52 Francisco Lindor , SS , Montverde (Fla.) Academy : Lindor has a lot of value defensively but doesn't have much of a bat at this point. He's mostly a slap and run guy.

53 Andrew Susac , C , Oregon State : Susac is a solid bat and a good catcher. He needs more polish all around but he's a solid backstop.

54 Charlie Tilson , OF , New Trier, Wilmette, IL : Tilson is a sweet swinging lefty with pop. He has plus speed and can cover ground in centerfield. He is the high school version of Jackie Bradley.

55 Phillip Evans , SS/RHP , LaCosta Canyon Carlsbad CA : Evans has a nice short swing and produces good pop for his size. He has good enough skills to stay at SS in the short term but he may outgrow it in the long run though.

56 Christian Lopes , SS , Edison HS, Huntington Beach, Calif. : Davey's son has a nice swing with gap to gap power and good speed. May be a 2B in the future though.

57 Billy Flamion , OF , Central Catholic (Modesto, Calif.) : Flamion is a stellar athlete and could pitch, but I think his future is in the OF. He has some moving parts in his swing that need tweaking but he could have huge potential with the bat.

58 Dwight Smith , OF , McIntosh HS, Peachtree City, Ga. : Smith has a quick swing and can really hit but needs to tone down his swing mechanics.

59 Jose Fernandez , RHP , Alonso HS, Tampa, FLA : Fernandez is a big physical righty from Cuba. He has power on the mound and at the plate but has more on the mound. Could be a big durable righty and a front of the rotation type.

60 Tyler Greene , SS , West Boca Raton (Fla.) HS/Roswell Ga. HS :

61 Adrian Houser , RHP , Locust Grove, Locust Grove, OK :

62 Carson Baranik , RHP , Bossier HS, LA :

63 Connor Castellano , INF , Evangel Christian (Shreveport, La.) :

64 Joshua Osich , P , Oregon State : Osich had Tommy John surgery but was throwing in the upper 90's prior to that. Is one of the more intriguing arms in this years draft.

65 Jake Cave , OF/LHP , Kecoughtoan Hampton VA : Cave can run it up to 94 on the mound and has a decent BB and a really good change. At the plate he has a shot quick swing with power potential. Classic two way player is commited to LSU.

66 Anthony Meo , P , Coastal Carolina : Meo has good fastball velo and a nice breaking ball. He improved his control and K rate last year and could be a solid back of the rotation guy or a back of the pen guy more likely.

67 Burch Smith , P , Oklahoma : Smith can throw in the low to mid 90's and has a decent curveball. He doesn't have a lot of deception to his delivery. He is more hittable than he should be with the stuff he has.

68 Jason Coats , OF , Texas Christian : Coats has a nice swing and looks like a pro player. He is confident and knows how to play.

69 Zach MacPhee , 2B , ASU : MacPhee can hit. He's ok at 2B and can run well. He has learned how to switch hit, so that improves his offensive value. Playing in Arizona may inflate his numbers though.

70 Aaron Westlake , OF , Vanderbilt : Westlake is a hitter. He has mediocre defensive skills and speed but can hit for average. His power will determine how far he goes though. The more it develops the further he will go.

71 Adam McCreery , P , Bonita (La Verne, Calif.) : McCreery is a tall, thin lefty who is very projectable. He has a solid breaking ball but the velocity is a little short for a high first rounder. If he gains a couple MPH's he could fly up draft boards.

72 Cody Kukuk , LHP , Free State HS, Lawrence, Kan : Kukuk has a solid fastball and a decent slider. His CB and chance need more work. He is a 2-way guy with a pretty good swing from the left side as well.

73 Alex Panteliodis , LHP , Florida : I'm not sure what to think of Panteliodis. One time I saw him he was throwing 97, then 87 the following time. If he can throw 97, he could be a good closer. If he's 87, he'll be a middle reliever at best.

74 Scott McGough , RHP , Oregon : Looks like more of a back of the pen kind of guy, but he could be a mid rotation guy if a team wants to try him there.

75 Tyler Anderson , LHP , Oregon :

76 Sam Stafford , LHP , Texas : Stafford has good stuff but needs polish to his change and slider. Has a nice curve and and good movement with his fastball.

77 Kyle Smith , RHP , Lake Worth, Fla. :

78 Mitchell Lambson , LHP , Arizona State :

79 Nick Ramirez , 1B/P , Cal State Fullerton : Ramirez is a two way guy, but doesn't blow me away either way. If he shortens his swing, it could help him offensively. He's 86-90 MPH from the left side, so he could have a reliever future.

80 Noe Ramirez , P , Cal State Fullerton : Ramirez won't blow you away but knows how to get hitters out with his 91 MPH sinking fastball.

81 Bryan Harper , P , South Carolina :

82 Johnny Ruettiger , OF , Arizona State :

83 Tony Zych , RHP , Louisville : Zych is a power arm who could be a solid back of the pen arm. He has good movement on his fastball, but his secondary pitches need work. His neck snap is a little scary and he could get hit hard if he leaves the ball up in the zone.

84 Javier Baez , SS , Arlington Country Day HS, FLA : Baez has a good arm and decent range at SS but is a step slow to stay there. He has a solid swing and could end up as an offensive
2B.

85 Cameron Gallagher , C , Manheim Township HS, Lancaster, Pa. :

86 Deshorn Lake , RHP , Menchville HS, Newport News, Va. :

87 Dylan Davis , RHP , Redmond HS, WA :

88 Navery Moore , RHP , Vanderbilt :

89 Andrew Suarez , LHP , Columbus HS, Miami :

90 Peter O'Brien , C , Bethune-Cookman :

91 Cole Gleason , RHP/UTL , Red Mountain HS, AZ :

92 Brandon Sedell , C , American Heritage Cooper City FL :

93 Taylor Guerrieri , RHP , North Augusta, N. Augusta, SC : Guerrieri has a strong fastball that has some movement. His breaking ball has potential and he is athletic, so he could improve with repetition.

94 Jacob Anderson , OF , Chino (Chino, Calif.) :

95 Ricardo Jacquez , RHP/SS , Franklin El Paso TX : Jacquez is a very small guy. His arm is huge though, running it up to 94. He also has a hammer curve. If he gains strength, he could gain velo. Kinda reminds me of Julio Teheran.

96 Robert Stephenson , RHP , Alhambra HS, Martinez, Calif. : Stephenson can run it up to the mid 90's from a high effort delivery. Needs to clean up his mechanics a little but has a high ceiling.

97 Brett Mooneyham , LHP , Stanford : He has top of the draft stuff and projectibility, but his command and this sets him back considerably in my eyes.

98 Hudson Boyd , RHP , South Fort Myers HS, FL :
99 Larry Greene , OF , Berrien County HS, Nashville, Ga. :

100 Shon Carson , OF , Lake City (Scranton, S.C.) :
101 Tyler Marlette , 3B , Oviedo, FL :

102 Dante Bichette , 3B , Orangewood Christian, FL :

103 John Curtiss , P , Southlake Carroll (Southlake, Texas) :

104 Mason Robbins , OF , George County HS, Lucedale, Miss. :

105 Shawon Dunston , OF , Valley Christian (San Jose, Calif.) :

106 Daniel Camarena , LHP/OF , Cathedral Catholic HS, San Diego :

107 T.J. Costen , SS , First Colonial Virginia Beach VA :

108 John Magliozzi , RHP , Dexter School, Brookline, Mass. :

109 Dan Mengden , P , Westside HS :

110 Wallace Gonzalez , OF/3B , Bishop Amat Covina CA : Gonzalez has a really long swing but he generates a ton of leverage with it. He has a huge power ceiling and is a good athlete but it could open him up to K a ton.

111 Daniel Arellano , Outfield , Centennial (Corona Calif.) :

112 Jo-el Bennett , OF , Houston Academy (Dothan, Ala.) :

113 Danny Canela , C , NC State :

114 Porter Clayton , LHP , Bonneville (Idaho Falls, Id.) :

115 Chris Harvey , C/INF , Norristown, Pa. :

116 Roderick Shoulders , C , Manatee CC

117 Brandon Woodruff , RHP , Wheeler (Miss.) HS :

118 Colton Murray , RHP , Kansas :

119 Nevin Wilson , LHP , Chaparral High School, Scottsdale, AZ :

120 Kyle Gaedele , 3B , Valparaiso : You may recognize the last name. He is the great-nephew of Eddie Gaedele but bears no physical resemblance. He has huge raw power and really good speed. He plays solid defense at 3B but may have to move to a corner OF spot. He has the arm for RF.

121 Joe Ross , P , Bishop O'Dowd HS, CA : Ross is the younger brother of A's prospect Tyson Ross, and is a comparable prospect. He has a big arm and can run it up to 94 but his command is below average and needs work.

122 Grayson Garvin , LHP , Vanderbilt : Garvin is a polished tall lefty who knows how to pitch and is polished considering the relief role he has had at Vanderbilt. He could end up being a bullpen arm, but I think he could take off if allowed to start.

123 Ronnie Richardson , OF , Central Florida : Richardson is a little on the short side but he can hit. He has a nice swing and plus speed to reach base and wreak havoc on the basepaths when he's on it.

124 Nick Maronde , LHP , Florida : Maronde has a good fastball and a slider that could be a plus pitch. He looks more like a bullpen arm than a starter to me.

125 Taylor Nichols , C , Faith Academy Mobile AL :

126 Nick Delmonico , SS/C , Farragut HS, Knoxville, Tenn. :

127 John Stilson , rhp , Texas A&M : Stilson has a mid 90's fastball and a plus slider. It's possible he could be a top 10 pick to Arizona but will slide if they don't pick him.

128 Will Lamb , OF/LHP , Clemson : Lamb is a legit 2-way guy. He could have a shot as a 1B or a LHP. I am leaning toward 1B right now. He can play above average defense and hit for high average. He has good speed for his size and could develop a decent amount of power.

129 Carson Smith , rhp , Texas State : Smith throws with a sidearm delivery and has solid stuff. His fastball sinks hard and he reminds me of Pat Neshek with a little less funk in his delivery.

130 C.J. Cron , C , Utah : Cron has good pop in his bat, but isn't a top tier guy.

131 Brad Miller , 2B/SS , Clemson : Miller is unlikly
to stick at SS as a pro but could be a well above average 2B offensively and defensively. He could move to 3B, but I think his athletecism will be used best at 2B.

132 Julius Gaines , SS , Luella, Locust Grove, GA : Gaines possesses the skills to stay at SS and can hit.

133 Logan Verrett , RHP , Baylor : Verrett is an athletic righty with decent stuff. Projects as a back of the rotation starter.

134 Joe Panik , SS , St. Johns t : Panik has solid contact ability and has gap power. He has solid speed and should be able to stay at SS. He doesn't have the bat for 3rd, so he'll have to move to 2B if he has to move off the position.

135 Andrew Gagnon , RHP , Long Beach State U. : Gagnon is a polished college righty who doesn't have huge upside but seems like a safe bet to be a back of the rotation starter in the majors.

136 Zach Wilson , OF , Arizona State : Wilson has a big bat but that's it. He is poor at 3B, mediocre at best in LF but has a good approach and knows how to hit.

137 Matt Skole , 3B , Georgia Tech : Skole has more of a line drive swing that a power swing but could hit a dozen or so a year. He could be a lower tier 3B in the majors.

138 Kyle Winkler , RHP , Texas Christian :

139 Taylor Featherstone , 2B , Texas Christian :

140 Kevin Patterson , 1B , Auburn : Patterson is very one dimensional but has game changing power.

141 Taylor Dugas , OF , Alabama : Dugas is a solid hitter, good speed and solid defense. If he can stick in center, it will increase his value. He's a tweener if he can't.

142 Tyler Bremer , P , UC Davis :

143 Cole Cook , RHP , Pepperdine :

144 Nick Martini , OF , Kansas State :

145 Dan Bowman , OF/1B , Coastal Carolina :

146 Steven Brooks , CF , Wake Forest U :

147 Brian Dupra , P , Notre Dame :

148 Drew Stiner , C , Page HS, Sand Springs, Okla. :

149 Scott Woodward , 3B , Coastal Carolina U :

150 Matt Dean, RHP/SS, The Colony HS, TX
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby OhioBaseball » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:33 am

One of the guys the Indians need to look at with the 8th overall pick is Alex Meyer at Kentucky. He's a cold-weather guy from Indiana that has a lot of size and athleticism that is learning how to pitch, and appears to have made some improvements this year and is pitching well. He's 6'8"/6'9", 220 lbs and is surprisingly very athletic. I don't think he pitches as tall as his height; he's actually kind of a sinker/slider guy. His slider gets quite good depth, though. Meyer's stats are good so far. He's coming off a good start vs. Tennessee. He really struggled last year (had mono), but this year has been very encouraging.

I've got to be honest, but he is *potentially* the best pitching prospect in the draft. I'd love to see him pitch live. I don't know what velocities he's throwing at, but if he's successful versus some of the SEC competition (best conference in baseball) over the next two months, he's definitely going to give some scouting directors/GMs with early picks some serious things to consider. There's not many guys out there like him. Potentially a guy that has guys beat the ball into the ground, get's strike outs with his slider and eats innings. The potential with Meyer is very legit. Absolutely should be in the mix for the Indians' 1st rounder.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:35 am

Saw GTech/Miami game yesterday. Jed Bradley started. Went 6.1 IP, 6H, 2ER, 1BB, 8K. Not his best game but he was dominant through 6 & got tired. Big LHP, 6'4" & 220lbs. Athletic, smooth delivery with some effort. Top 150 list that homer posted called him a "pitchability" lefty. Wrong. Was sitting on 94 most of the game with 93 on his 90th pitch in the 6th. Has a nice slider that he can change speeds on, more break the slower he throws it. Good command of his FB. Not afraid of going inside to RHH's. Got lots of swing & miss on the high & tight FB. Faced lineup of 8 RHH's, went through the lineup 3+ times with no prob. Definite top 15 pick. If he slides, no way he makes it past the Braves. I'd put him somewhere a little below Pomeranz as a prospect.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby BrianM » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:20 pm

Hello everyone! This is my first post on the forum, but I've been a reader for some time now.

I recently noticed that most of our valuable hitting prospects bat left handed. If we put together a projected lineup for 2013/2014, were probably looking at an infield of Chiz, Wolters, Kipnis, Laporta (maybe?), and an outfield of Weglarz, Brantley, Washington, with Santana behind the plate. It is unlikely it ends up exactly like this, but that lineup would be stacked with lefties. Laporta is the only non-switch-hitting righty, and I am not confident at all in his future. According to Tony, Chen may be able to take over first if Laporta Fails, but were still looking at a left handed dominant lineup, which could end up being a major problem late in games when lefty specialists come in from the pen.

I'm always in favor of going BPA in the first round, especially at pick 8, whether it be a pitcher or hitter, but I would be reluctant to draft another left handed bat that high, even if he is BPA. If were gonna go for over-slot players this year like we did last year, Id prefer we targeted high potential right handed highschool outfielders, or right handed power hitting college outfielders/firstbasemen.

My only knowledge of players and scouting is from what I read on sites like these, so do any of you amateur baseball enthusiasts know of any right handed college bats that could be targeted in rounds 2-4, or any highschool bats that could be targeted in rounds 2-10?
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:10 pm

@ brianm check out the top 150 list I post above a few posts this is not mine but is from another site. Baseball America and 5 tool talk are a couple others you could cross check info on. To get a better feel and exposure to some of the prospects for the 2011 draft.
Last edited by homerawayfromhome on Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:13 pm

@ rocky 55 I saw that on there too, I've never seen Jed Bradley pitch but from what I have read in other sites he sits mid 90's regularly. He could be an option at the 8 spot.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:18 pm

Just a note that I heard. My step-son has a teammate that will be going to Georgia Tech next year to play ball. He was told by the players there that the bats they have to use this year are dead. This makes evaluations on college hitters more comperable to wood bats and not like years past.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:12 pm

Interesting about Bradley. I've never seen him outside of a clip or two on the internet.

On the other side of the country, Trevor Bauer of UCLA is killing it. He could be the first pitcher off the board in June. He's better than Cole.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:22 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:On the other side of the country, Trevor Bauer of UCLA is killing it. He could be the first pitcher off the board in June. He's better than Cole.

Even if bauer was the best pitcher in the country....not sure he can be the 1st pitcher taken. Never say never I guess, but that workout routine, insane pitch counts, and the letter sent out (even if it was sent without permission) probably worry teams enough that he slides...and could fall completely out of the 1st round.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:03 pm

OB, are you still following MAC baseball? Was wondering if we could get a scouting report on Andrew Chafin.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:02 pm

Was looking at weekend college results & noticed that '10 Tribe Draft Pick Ben Lively of UCF beat Rice on Friday. Friday starter as a Freshman. Wasn't a dominating performance but went 5.2 IP, 4H, 2R/ER, 8BB(!), 0 K's, 2WP's. Walked Rendon 3 times(smart kid). Is 5-0 as a starter so far. In 32 IP has given up only 18H but 19BB. Has 22K's, .167 BAA.

This was one of the guys that all of us boardies wanted the Tribe to sign. We were right, as usual. Plus, of course, just one more astute pick by the god of the draft, Brad Grant. :biggrin:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:41 pm

daingean wrote:Just a note that I heard. My step-son has a teammate that will be going to Georgia Tech next year to play ball. He was told by the players there that the bats they have to use this year are dead. This makes evaluations on college hitters more comperable to wood bats and not like years past.

I heard announcers bitching about this during a UGA game. Claimed the college game was fine the way it was. Claimed it was robbing Zach Cone of his power game. Funny, I just saw Aaron Westlake, the Vandy 1B hit one 400 plus feet against Arkansas. Westlake's batting over .400 with a 1.141OPS. Nice player. Plus Mikie Mahtook has 8HR, 6 doubles & 1 triple in 85 AB, 13SB/16SBA. Grady Junior. Cone is only batting .294 with a .700 OPS but he's swinging at everything. The Georgia lineup is really weak & Cone is being pitched around. Cone is multi-talented & would be a nice 2nd/3rd Round pick if he falls.

I don't mind the new bats but it makes finding the true ace pitchers a bit harder to do. With the old bats if a pitcher was dominant you KNEW he was good.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby JP_Frost » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:48 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
OhioBaseball wrote:On the other side of the country, Trevor Bauer of UCLA is killing it. He could be the first pitcher off the board in June. He's better than Cole.

Even if bauer was the best pitcher in the country....not sure he can be the 1st pitcher taken. Never say never I guess, but that workout routine, insane pitch counts, and the letter sent out (even if it was sent without permission) probably worry teams enough that he slides...and could fall completely out of the 1st round.

I agree that he won't be the first pitcher taken, but it would be insane if he falls out of the 1st round. In fact, he should be a top 15 or top 10 pick if he keeps this up.

Btw, someone asked about righthanded hitters being available. Obviously Rendon is there, but there's no way he slides that far, so that leaves George Springer. Very toolsy, but also K's alot (especially this year). Has the potential to be a top 3 pick, however his performance hasn't been there so far this season.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:51 pm

Rocky55 wrote:Was looking at weekend college results & noticed that '10 Tribe Draft Pick Ben Lively of UCF beat Rice on Friday. Friday starter as a Freshman. Wasn't a dominating performance but went 5.2 IP, 4H, 2R/ER, 8BB(!), 0 K's, 2WP's. Walked Rendon 3 times(smart kid). Is 5-0 as a starter so far. In 32 IP has given up only 18H but 19BB. Has 22K's, .167 BAA.

This was one of the guys that all of us boardies wanted the Tribe to sign. We were right, as usual. Plus, of course, just one more astute pick by the god of the draft, Brad Grant. :biggrin:

I was looking at Miss State's stats for CT Bradford....he is hitting well (no HR's but BA in the high .300's). He was the MVP of the WWBA 18U Tournament last year. WWBA is the biggest tourney and put on by Perfect Game.

Lively pitched well in the WWBA last year also.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk