Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Forum Top Prospect List

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Forum Top Prospect List

Postby MattM » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:42 pm

Has anyone ever thought about doing an offseason Indians prospect ranking based on votes from people in this forum?

Someone with more knowledge than me could list 20 guys and say "OK, vote for the #1 prospect." Then after 3-4 days, a winner is announced, the person adds another name to the list and we vote for prospect #2. We go until we get sick of it or it becomes too complicated. I know it doesn't mean anything, but it might be something fun to do to pass the time in the offseason.

Just a thought.
MattM
Undrafted Free Agent

Re: Forum Top Prospect List

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:48 pm

MattM wrote:Has anyone ever thought about doing an offseason Indians prospect ranking based on votes from people in this forum?

Someone with more knowledge than me could list 20 guys and say "OK, vote for the #1 prospect." Then after 3-4 days, a winner is announced, the person adds another name to the list and we vote for prospect #2. We go until we get sick of it or it becomes too complicated. I know it doesn't mean anything, but it might be something fun to do to pass the time in the offseason.

Just a thought.

We did something similar last off-season. Not quite the same, but very similar.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:50 pm

MattM wrote:Has anyone ever thought about doing an offseason Indians prospect ranking based on votes from people in this forum?

Just a thought.

Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day.

A community prospect list is done every year on minorleaguebaseball.com. It's fun, but it creates quite a lot of drama as well, so that's one thing to keep in mind.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:03 pm

Not the same as the project I've tried to run the past few off-seasons so the 2 things can mutually exist.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MattM » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:12 pm

JP_Frost wrote:

Just a thought.

Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day.

A community prospect list is done every year on minorleaguebaseball.com. It's fun, but it creates quite a lot of drama as well, so that's one thing to keep in mind.

There could be two threads. One only for voting, and a second for arguing/ cyber-punching/ whatever. This would allow votes to be easier to count and for people to have the option to stay clear of the warzone.
MattM
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:22 pm

There isn't a poll option for these forums right? Although that might cause ballot stuffing.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby martyinnewyork » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:37 pm

Who votes for which names go on the list of 20 prospects? Food for thought...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:38 pm

martyinnewyork wrote:Who votes for which names go on the list of 20 prospects? Food for thought...

I'd nominate Tony for that.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:18 pm

Hmm, interesting idea. Could simplify it where we start a thread voting for #1 and everyone who votes simply has to make a public ballot within a set time (24-72 hours). Once done, we cross that name off the eligible list, and then we start a new thread for #2, etc. I wouldn't go longer than 20.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:23 pm

Going beyond 20 is hard enough on your own, let alone with about a dozen or more users chiming in.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby MattM » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:31 pm

Consigliere wrote:Hmm, interesting idea. Could simplify it where we start a thread voting for #1 and everyone who votes simply has to make a public ballot within a set time (24-72 hours). Once done, we cross that name off the eligible list, and then we start a new thread for #2, etc. I wouldn't go longer than 20.

Yea, that is much better. Much less work for the person running it. All it requires is someone to count the votes.
MattM
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:35 pm

MattM wrote:
Consigliere wrote:Hmm, interesting idea. Could simplify it where we start a thread voting for #1 and everyone who votes simply has to make a public ballot within a set time (24-72 hours). Once done, we cross that name off the eligible list, and then we start a new thread for #2, etc. I wouldn't go longer than 20.

Yea, that is much better. Much less work for the person running it. All it requires is someone to count the votes.

And the fact only public votes count should avoid any issues with people worried about it being rigged or whatever. :reallyshocked:

Of course one could say that by seeing the votes of others that other people may be more inclined to fall in line with the common group....so there is some advantage to a secret vote. But all worth talking through.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Return to Indians Prospect Talk