RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Stowell

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Stowell

Postby stoike » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:36 pm

Okay, I have looked everywhere, but found nothing of substance on the injury to Bryce Stowell. All I read was that he left the game early the other night, and then the VERY vague tweet from Tony about Stowell being "on the shelf". So....what is the story!?!?!? Thanks.
stoike
Draft Prospect

Re: Stowell

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:49 pm

I believe Tony said it was forearm/elbow discomfort, but don't pin me on that.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:14 pm

Yes, elbow discomfort....still being evaluated. Nothing known yet. But, I will be honest, it is concerning anytime a guy has "elbow discomfort". He's definitely done for the rest of the season.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:22 pm

Consigliere wrote:Yes, elbow discomfort....still being evaluated. Nothing known yet. But, I will be honest, it is concerning anytime a guy has "elbow discomfort". He's definitely done for the rest of the season.

It always makes me think of TJ surgery, so yes, definately concerning.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:26 pm

JP_Frost wrote:
Consigliere wrote:Yes, elbow discomfort....still being evaluated. Nothing known yet. But, I will be honest, it is concerning anytime a guy has "elbow discomfort". He's definitely done for the rest of the season.

It always makes me think of TJ surgery, so yes, definately concerning.

My first thought would not be TJ but a recurrence of the elbow problems he had after signing which limited his effectiveness last year. Or is my memory fading with age? :reallyshocked:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:32 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:My first thought would not be TJ but a recurrence of the elbow problems he had after signing which limited his effectiveness last year. Or is my memory fading with age? :reallyshocked:

He was fine out of college, but his issue last year was bicep tendonitis. No issues with the elbow.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:36 pm

Consigliere wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:My first thought would not be TJ but a recurrence of the elbow problems he had after signing which limited his effectiveness last year. Or is my memory fading with age? :reallyshocked:

He was fine out of college, but his issue last year was bicep tendonitis. No issues with the elbow.

Thanks T, it is my fading memory. :pardon:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby stoike » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:29 am

Thanks, guys. Not at ALL what I wanted to hear.
stoike
Draft Prospect

Postby indians1 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:37 pm

it seems as if the indians have a tough time keeping their top prospects healthy.

i don't know what it is, but these guys either break down or they don't have sucess for more than a few years.

look how grady and hafner have broke down. carmona and peralta couldn't compete at a high level.

in the minors, you have alexander perez, hagadone, stowell, de la cruz, - all guys that are critical towards rebuilding into a contender and these guys are falling apart.

can you look at hagadone or de la cruz and say that they will reach their potential? most people thought otherwise before the season.

don't forget aubrey and adam miller !!!!
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby JP_Frost » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:40 pm

Or it's just normal attrition. Look these are young pitchers, somewhere along the line they will get injured. It's not a question of if, but when. Maybe it's best we have it out of the way now. When those injuries are career threatening like Miller's, it's a sad situation, but unfortunately it happens and I bet that most systems have to deal with this.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby stoike » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:08 pm

indians1 wrote:it seems as if the indians have a tough time keeping their top prospects healthy.

i don't know what it is, but these guys either break down or they don't have sucess for more than a few years.

look how grady and hafner have broke down. carmona and peralta couldn't compete at a high level.

in the minors, you have alexander perez, hagadone, stowell, de la cruz, - all guys that are critical towards rebuilding into a contender and these guys are falling apart.

can you look at hagadone or de la cruz and say that they will reach their potential? most people thought otherwise before the season.

don't forget aubrey and adam miller !!!!

Wow! Where to start with this mess?? Aubrey and Miller had absolutely nothing to do with the Indians.

Sizemore simply plays with an all-out, reckless abandon sort of style that will lend itself to inuries. Pronk, the huge mass of a man, many factors could have led to his shoulder woes, but again, NOTHING to do with the Indians.

As for the other younger prospects you speak of, they are young guys, and this is pretty much the norm, as was stated above. You can argue that the Indians are cursed, but the Tribe,as an organization, has nothing to do with these unfortunate injuries.
stoike
Draft Prospect

Postby indians1 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:25 pm

so you are saying that you cannot prevent injuries? i'm not saying that you can prevent all of these injuries but to say that none of these were avoidable is ridiculous.

what is the purpose of teams having medical and training staffs if alot of injuries can't be prevented?
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:39 pm

indians1 wrote:so you are saying that you cannot prevent injuries? i'm not saying that you can prevent all of these injuries but to say that none of these were avoidable is ridiculous.

what is the purpose of teams having medical and training staffs if alot of injuries can't be prevented?

Hi i1, Maybe a lot of injuries are prevented or have lessened impact. I am not being facetious when I say the best way to understand the issues might be a course in kinesiology at your local JC or college. there is nothing natural about throwing, hitting and catching the batted ball. The human body was not intended to pitch which is a pretty violent attack on the shoulder, elbow and back. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby indians1 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:47 pm

the athlete of today may be bigger than 30 years ago, but they are falling apart alot faster.

why do you think pitchers now can't throw over 100-110 pitches anymore? the pitcher of today cannot handle the rigors of the baseball season like one of 20-30 years ago.

look how many complete games people threw back then.

this is not just an indictment of the indians but alot of sports teams.

if you think all medical staffs are created equal then just look at the phoenix suns.

grant hill could not find his way on the basketball court and almost had his foot amputated. he couldn't stay healthy. and magically he has not missed any time since going to phoenix. look how shaq went to the all-star game the year he is in phoenix and then looks meidocre the next year and the years prior to him going to phoenix.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby JP_Frost » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:58 pm

I think there are other reasons for pitchers pitching more in the past than they do now (less offense, higher mound, no real bullpen, etc).

You're right that not all medical staffs are created equal, but all of them will tell you that baseball players in general, and pitchers in particular, will get hurt sooner or later.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:10 pm

Unfortunately I know a bit more than I wish I did, I have expereinced both shldr and elbow injuries. Think back to Knapp's shldr surgery it was originally thought to be bicep tendonitis, the irritation was caused by the "loose bodies" in the shldr. Stowell missed a portion of last season with bicep tendonitis, the soreness, etc could be linked with that unfortunately MRI's are tough to read on the elbow but the best thing possible is to completely shut Stowell down and rebuild his strength and stamina during spring ball. Lets hope this isnt serious as it could potentially be. :good:
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Return to Indians Prospect Talk