Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Lofgren news

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Lofgren news

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:27 am

As I have mentioned previously in updates, I was able to talk to Chuck for about 45 minutes tonight "on the record" and will have a story on him that I will post this coming Friday or next Monday. What a phenomenal young man, and you'll hear "mission" mentioned a lot from him in the upcoming piece. The article will also talk a lot about what he has gone through personally these past two years.

Also, Chuck will be on my radio show a week from this Thursday to talk about it and his 2008 season and what lies ahead in 2009.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: Lofgren news

Postby Jake Taylor » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:03 am

I'm hoping that we find a way to roster Lofgren without sacrificing De La Cruz to the Rule 5 Draft. I know the stuff is still there, and hopefully the article you're getting ready to post can clear up what seems to have been an extremely hectic year for Chuck. He was one of my favorites going into the season.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:20 am

TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby gotribe31 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:25 pm

Great article Tony...that's a LOT for anyone to deal with. Thank God she is getting better! Our thoughts and prayers are with Chuck and his family.
gotribe31
Draft Prospect

Postby lofgren09 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:44 pm

Well done Tony. You did a nice job on the article. I know Chuck is proud of the job you did.
lofgren09
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby jellis » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:55 pm

I know like everyone else I wish the best for him and his family, Chuck is a very very talented player and next year I bet with this weight off he will be making hard for the Indians to not look at him in AUG/Sept
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby carnegie44115 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:33 pm

jellis wrote:I know like everyone else I wish the best for him and his family, Chuck is a very very talented player and next year I bet with this weight off he will be making hard for the Indians to not look at him in AUG/Sept

Hopefully the Indians get the chance to take a look at him in August and September and not another team, if you read Tony's Weekend Update, its still possible he gets selected in the Rule 5 and they take the rest of the winter and ST and maybe they figure it out for him then.

http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/2008/11/weekend-update-nov-15th.html
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby lofgren09 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:19 pm

If the Indians don't protect him, he WILL be taken in the Rule 5 draft. No if's and's or but's.
lofgren09
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby carnegie44115 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:56 pm

lofgren09 wrote:If the Indians don't protect him, he WILL be taken in the Rule 5 draft. No if's and's or but's.

Yeah and if you get a team like Boston or Pittsburgh that takes him and has someone that knows him, they could help figure it out for him possibily.
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby jellis » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:58 pm

lofgren09 wrote:If the Indians don't protect him, he WILL be taken in the Rule 5 draft. No if's and's or but's.

i wouldnt be so sure, really hard to be able to store a guy like him on a 25 man roster for as long as is needed, when he has had his trouble even with the circumstances
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:59 pm

carnegie44115 wrote:

Yeah and if you get a team like Boston or Pittsburgh that takes him and has someone that knows him, they could help figure it out for him possibily.

boston never would a contending team cant use a spot on the roster for that big an unknown
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby carnegie44115 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:10 pm

Yea but it is worth the chance to take him and see if they could work it out over the rest of the winter especially with Farrell, and for Boston, what is 25 grand to them?
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby jellis » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:15 am

carnegie44115 wrote:Yea but it is worth the chance to take him and see if they could work it out over the rest of the winter especially with Farrell, and for Boston, what is 25 grand to them?

True, but

it might be a lot remember boston of all teams decided not to raise season ticket prices because they didnt think their fan base could afford it. It had been originally planned but they rolled it back, I think Boston might end up being a bit conservative this off season
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Duane Kuiper » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:05 am

I highly doubt Lofgren gets taken in the Rule 5 draft after how poor his numbers are this year. It just won't happen.
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby jellis » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:15 pm

Plus think how hard it is for the Indians to make a 40 man roster all the guys who they have to leave at risk, now imagine how hard it is for that player to then make and stay on a 25 man roster many teams cant jut stash a player
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby lofgren09 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:01 pm

Why wouldn't a team like the San Francisco Giants not take him? They know him well.
lofgren09
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby lofgren09 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:03 pm

Tony will this radio show that you are doing Thursday be a call in?
lofgren09
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby hreyjanny » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:05 pm

omg....give me a break...you make lofrgen out to be this poor saint...and he is the biggggggggest duchebag and liar on earth. His mom has been fighting cancer for years and I know exactly why hes had a bad season.....and its NOTHING for him to be proud of and hes hiding it from everyone!
hreyjanny
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby jellis » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:41 pm

lofgren09 wrote:Why wouldn't a team like the San Francisco Giants not take him? They know him well.

they could but then again if they add more salary they might want to contend and a contender cant keep a guy like lofgren on roster hes still too raw at this point since in many ways this has been a lost year for him. Its really hard to make a 25 man roster and every team has there own players they have to think about. The Indians wouldnt take a rule 5 guy, why no chance he makes the team and that's the issue with most teams.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby npc29 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:45 pm

hreyjanny wrote:omg....give me a break...you make lofrgen out to be this poor saint...and he is the biggggggggest duchebag and liar on earth. His mom has been fighting cancer for years and I know exactly why hes had a bad season.....and its NOTHING for him to be proud of and hes hiding it from everyone!

He's a douchebag for not wanting to disclose a family member's illness?

That sounds like a rational thought. :s_thumbsup

I'm confused, what does any of that mean?
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:09 pm

hreyjanny wrote:omg....give me a break...you make lofrgen out to be this poor saint...and he is the biggggggggest duchebag and liar on earth. His mom has been fighting cancer for years and I know exactly why hes had a bad season.....and its NOTHING for him to be proud of and hes hiding it from everyone!

Are you perhps a jilted girlfriend or hanger-on that is upset you can no longer gravy train off of Chuck???
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Jake Taylor » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:11 pm

npc29 wrote:

He's a douchebag for not wanting to disclose a family member's illness?

That sounds like a rational thought. :s_thumbsup

I'm confused, what does any of that mean?

I'd say it means that this "person" is trying to stir up trouble. Couldn't even spell Lofgren or douchebag correctly... So please tell us, oh enlightened one, what the REAL story behind Lofgren's issues are. Continued battle of cancer for his mother that they thought to be terminal must not be enough on an issue, eh?
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:08 am

lofgren09 wrote:Tony will this radio show that you are doing Thursday be a call in?

He will be calling in yes, as for fans calling in, not likely. Mostly because we have so much to talk about and I want to address everything in the short time we have with him. But, I will perhaps approach him if he is willing to take a call or too. Although, from the sounds of that other post, he may get some "interesting" calls/comments. (I believe I know who this person is and their story from an email earlier in the season I received).
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:45 am

Tony,
Don't even push the issue of taking calls with Chuck. If anyone has questions, there are plenty of mechanisms that can be used to get the question to you/Paul for asking.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby lofgren09 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:17 am

Yea don't let Chuck get harassed. Too many morons out there. By the looks of that one cooc the one call you would take would be that person- male/female/both.
lofgren09
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby lofgren09 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:21 am

I bet that one person is mad that Chuck won't sign any more autographs for him to sell on Ebay.
lofgren09
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Bsblsuperfans » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:20 pm

Chuck and the other players now have some well deserved down time to regroup and reconnect with their family and friends. Being away from your family for nine months out of a year is tough, particularly when one of them is seriously ill. And for the moron who is not well informed about cancer--it can go into remission and become active again! Sometimes it's better to remain quiet and let people think you're stupid than to open your mouth and confirm your mentality. If you have something to say, say it. Public forums are not intended for personal innuendos.
Bsblsuperfans
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:05 pm

Bsblsuperfans wrote:Chuck and the other players now have some well deserved down time to regroup and reconnect with their family and friends. Being away from your family for nine months out of a year is tough, particularly when one of them is seriously ill. And for the moron who is not well informed about cancer--it can go into remission and become active again! Sometimes it's better to remain quiet and let people think you're stupid than to open your mouth and confirm your mentality. If you have something to say, say it. Public forums are not intended for personal innuendos.

+1

Well said.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:56 am

Being away from a seriously ill family member is indeed tough and you could never bring into question that it would have an adverse effect on any player or person. With that in mind it is completely understandable that Chuck has been going through the mill of emotions over the last couple of years.

However, generally being away from family and friends 9 months out of the year I wouldn't qualify as something that should be considered as a distraction. Most (or at least a large % of) young men and women Chucks age commonly move away from their families for stretches that long to go to College or University or to start their careers in the working world and they are all still expected to pass their degrees or perform at a high level in their careers, so whilst it does effect other people differently, I don't think you can qualify being away from family as a suitable excuse for any kind of distraction.

Now, this is not me being an arse.... I truly feel sorry for Chuck and I have sympathy for what he has been through. Like I said, when a family member is ill, being away from them is undoubtedly a distraction, but being away from family in general is just something that a large proportion of us have to become accustomed to at a certain stage of our lives.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:57 am

^^ I agree.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Indians Prospect Talk