RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Official 2010 Lake County Captains Thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: Official 2010 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby stoike » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:10 pm

entertheshoe wrote:
TitoFrancona wrote:What is Knapp's velocity up to? I'm sure he's not hitting the gun at upper 90s yet. On another forum, they said he's hitting 91-92. If that's the case, he's got a long way to go before anybody should get too pumped up.

If he's doing this good and he doesn't have his full velocity isn't that MORE reason to get pumped up? Not saying he does or doesn't I'm just not agreeing with that logic.

Tito does not look at things that way. He takes the 'glass is 3/4 empty' approach to pretty much everything....on both boards. :s_bored

And of course, he chooses to follow the reports on the other (inferior) board, and ignores the reports by Tony and another poster or two that says 92-95, topping at 98, as well as the report from Adkins himself, who claimed upper 90s in his last start in Arizona. :fool:
stoike
Draft Prospect

Postby TitoFrancona » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:47 pm

stoike wrote:
Tito does not look at things that way. He takes the 'glass is 3/4 empty' approach to pretty much everything....on both boards. :s_bored

And of course, he chooses to follow the reports on the other (inferior) board, and ignores the reports by Tony and another poster or two that says 92-95, topping at 98, as well as the report from Adkins himself, who claimed upper 90s in his last start in Arizona. :fool:

First of all I quote from Tony's website on the other forum quite often. You knew that but chose to ignore it. Not surprised at all. Secondly, I dont' read every single thread or website every hour like you obviously do. So yeah I missed it, big deal. I don't have the spare time you obviously have where you can spend 24/7 on the computer.

And yeah, based on all of the problems this team is having and has had, (see the latest on Rondon) I choose not to get too pumped up about anything until there's good reason to be. If you view that as a character flaw, I couldn't really care less.

And if you want to call it an inferior board, then exactly why do you bother going to it? I would view that as a silly waste of anyone's time. Shouldn't you?
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect

Postby stoike » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:01 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:
stoike wrote:

First of all I quote from Tony's website on the other forum quite often. You knew that but chose to ignore it. Not surprised at all. Secondly, I dont' read every single thread or website every hour like you obviously do. So yeah I missed it, big deal. I don't have the spare time you obviously have where you can spend 24/7 on the computer.

And yeah, based on all of the problems this team is having and has had, (see the latest on Rondon) I choose not to get too pumped up about anything until there's good reason to be. If you view that as a character flaw, I couldn't really care less.

And if you want to call it an inferior board, then exactly why do you bother going to it? I would view that as a silly waste of anyone's time. Shouldn't you?

When I say inferior, I mean in terms of minor league information and FACTS. Loved the board when I had more time and others actually followed the team! It is a ghost town. I have gone to it around 20 times all season. And as for the thread, I posted the link from the P.D..so of course I knew of it!
stoike
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:13 pm

FYI, the 92-95 average and 98 MPH top is confirmed. True reading and firsthand info.

Have heard today he has been up to 99 MPH, though this is unconfirmed....will verify.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TitoFrancona » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:43 am

Consigliere wrote:FYI, the 92-95 average and 98 MPH top is confirmed. True reading and firsthand info.

Have heard today he has been up to 99 MPH, though this is unconfirmed....will verify.

Then that is amazing that he's come all the way back velocity wise and of course extremely encouraging.
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:06 am

FYI, those wondering about Clayton Cook, he threw a bullpen and is pain free. Looks like he may make a start later this coming week.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:32 am

The Captains have a 4 game home set starting tonight (8/28).

Any ideas on who is starting those 4 games??
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MattM » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:37 am

Nakamura is now in LC.
MattM
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:16 am

BTW, Giovanni Soto is on the DL. Supposedly is fine....mild elbow strain, but expected to come off here in next few days and start a game before playoffs. Same with Clayton Cook.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:23 am

Correction on Soto, he has a mild triceps strain.

Also Cook likely to Start on Thursday.

Smit back on DL with hammy injury.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:13 pm

Forgive me if this has been answered and I simply missed the post, but I was just wondering what is Trey Haley's standing in the organization currently?

I certainly understand that the Indians aren't about to write off a 20 year old righty as a bust already, nor should they, but he hasn't really shown any progression (at least, according to the numbers) this year.

Is he still working through mechanics, focusing on using different pitches, etc....whats the deal? :pardon:
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:27 pm

Brach doesn't get a lot of love as a prospect, same as Guilmet and other college guys on that LC staff, but man, what a nice year he has had.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby tribefan611 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:03 pm

Tyler Holt is deemed a good leadoff hitting prospect, isn't he? Hitting him second seems like an odd way to develop a leadoff hitter. :dunno:
tribefan611
Single-A Phenom

Postby npc29 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:07 pm

tribefan611 wrote:Tyler Holt is deemed a good leadoff hitting prospect, isn't he? Hitting him second seems like an odd way to develop a leadoff hitter. :dunno:

They had him there for awhile didn't they? Maybe with Cid's speed and the start Holt got off to, they might be trying to take the pressure off.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:12 pm

Yeah not really a big deal. Dont think a month of hitting 2nd will ruin his ability to hit leadoff. 8 doubles in 15 games. Very impressive.
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:35 pm

MV 1B Chase Burnette promoted to Lake County
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:57 pm

Jason Knapp is human.... he's allowed 2 runs off 6 hits and a walk through 3 innings tonight..... he's also K'd SEVEN!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:18 pm

Knapp finishes with 3.1IP, 7H, 4R, 3ER, 2BB, 8K

Pretty odd night as the South Bend hitters only put 10 balls in play all night and got 7 hits and another guy reached on an error.

.700 BABIP - freaky!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:20 pm

Looking at the play-by-play, 5 of the 7 hits allowed by Knapp were ground balls and two line drives.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:30 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Looking at the play-by-play, 5 of the 7 hits allowed by Knapp were ground balls and two line drives.

Like you said, babip freakiness. The 8 K's tell you how dominant he basically was.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:23 pm

Do we think Knapp will start again before the end of the regular season??
If LC maintains a 5 man rotation, it appears he goes again at home on Saturday but with piggybacked starters, inning limits and guys bouncing between levels and DL, one cannot be positive.

Hey Tony - any ideas???
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:28 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Do we think Knapp will start again before the end of the regular season??
If LC maintains a 5 man rotation, it appears he goes again at home on Saturday but with piggybacked starters, inning limits and guys bouncing between levels and DL, one cannot be positive.

Hey Tony - any ideas???

Very likely Saturday.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:03 pm

Do you think Holt starts in Kinston next year? Picked up A pitching pretty quickly.
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:26 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:Do you think Holt starts in Kinston next year? Picked up A pitching pretty quickly.

Yeah, he will open in Kinston. He's too advanced for Low-A which is why it was good to get him a month in Lake County to get him settled in.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Jake Taylor » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:46 pm

I was at the game tonight and, honestly, I feel like folks are trying to rationalize a bit too much for Knapp tonight. BABIP can be a fluky stat, but even though Knapp was getting ground balls, they were hard hit grounders, not dribblers rolling into the hole. A couple shots down the lines, and a couple hard grounders up the middle that Knapp tried to kick save. That being said, Burnette had a rough hop that he misplayed terribly that lead to a triple. It was originally ruled a hit, but I think it may have been changed to an error later in the game. Knapp looks strong overall, and had a bit of bad luck, but wasn't as dominant as he has been prior to this start. He can't be absolutely dominant every single game, but even on a game he didn't have his best stuff, he still had electric moments. It's nearly impossible for a hitter to square up the ball at that level when it's coming in at 95+ mph with movement without guessing, so I'll be watching closely (as I'm sure you all will) to see how he responds in Kinston.

I think it's a bit premature to rate Knapp the #1 prospect. He certainly has incredible projectability, but I'd be hesitant to jump the gun with him. I'd still stick him in the #3 or #4 range going into next year. He's very, very fun to watch, though.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby artgold » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:50 am

Jake Taylor wrote:I was at the game tonight and, honestly, I feel like folks are trying to rationalize a bit too much for Knapp tonight. BABIP can be a fluky stat, but even though Knapp was getting ground balls, they were hard hit grounders, not dribblers rolling into the hole. A couple shots down the lines, and a couple hard grounders up the middle that Knapp tried to kick save. That being said, Burnette had a rough hop that he misplayed terribly that lead to a triple. It was originally ruled a hit, but I think it may have been changed to an error later in the game. Knapp looks strong overall, and had a bit of bad luck, but wasn't as dominant as he has been prior to this start. He can't be absolutely dominant every single game, but even on a game he didn't have his best stuff, he still had electric moments. It's nearly impossible for a hitter to square up the ball at that level when it's coming in at 95+ mph with movement without guessing, so I'll be watching closely (as I'm sure you all will) to see how he responds in Kinston.

I think it's a bit premature to rate Knapp the #1 prospect. He certainly has incredible projectability, but I'd be hesitant to jump the gun with him. I'd still stick him in the #3 or #4 range going into next year. He's very, very fun to watch, though.

Thanks for the insights concerning Knapp's performance tonight. I dislike FIP and BABIP, and don't consider them at all in performance evaluation.

Your explanation of what you saw is very helpful in understanding his performance line.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:47 pm

npc29 wrote:
tribefan611 wrote:Tyler Holt is deemed a good leadoff hitting prospect, isn't he? Hitting him second seems like an odd way to develop a leadoff hitter. :dunno:

They had him there for awhile didn't they? Maybe with Cid's speed and the start Holt got off to, they might be trying to take the pressure off.

Seems to be working. Holt's up to .316, currently 2 for 3 tonight. Was going to say that maybe he was seeing more fastballs with Cid on base in front of him but Cid's 0 for 3 with 2 K's. Maybe Holt's just good. :good:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:23 pm

Knapp is scheduled to start 2nite. Is anyone else planning on going???
I want to see Knapp for myself before the long offseason starts.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:02 pm

I was planning to go, but game is cancelled.

I will be going Sunday...(BTW, we can have our discussion then MT).
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:14 pm

TonyIPI wrote:I was planning to go, but game is cancelled.

Thanks for saving me a trip - hadn't heard that the game was cancelled. Was planning on leaving in about 20 minutes.

DH on Sunday with game 1 at 1 pm???
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:28 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:

Thanks for saving me a trip - hadn't heard that the game was cancelled. Was planning on leaving in about 20 minutes.

Yeah, DH with first game starting at 1pm.

I guess the storm that rolled through last night tore the field up pretty well with rain and some other damage.

See you there.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby martyinnewyork » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:28 pm

So will Knapp pitch the first game?
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:02 pm

martyinnewyork wrote:So will Knapp pitch the first game?

Yes
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:24 pm

Good to see Soto back on the hill for game 2 of the DH.

Knapp allowed 4 runs off 4 hits and 4 walks with 8Ks in 3.2 innings in game 1.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:22 pm

Mixed bag for Soto today. He looked outstanding in the 1st and very human in the 2nd.
Webb (of Lansing) had a no-no thru 6.2 of the 7 IP of game 2 (broken up by Burnette).

I was a little surprised that Perez caught both games and Tyler Holt was the DH in both.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:06 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Good to see Soto back on the hill for game 2 of the DH.

Being at the game, Knapp relied heavily on the fastball. Secondary stuff was inconsistent as hell. He blew the fastball by hitters the first two innings and dominated, but the second time through the lineup the hitters adjusted and realized he couldn't consistently command his secondary stuff and was leaving it up in the zone. So they were all sitting dead red fastball. Inconsistent outing....flashes of dominance followed by the reality he still is very rusty and needs work.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby stoike » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:37 pm

TonyIPI wrote:

Being at the game, Knapp relied heavily on the fastball. Secondary stuff was inconsistent as hell. He blew the fastball by hitters the first two innings and dominated, but the second time through the lineup the hitters adjusted and realized he couldn't consistently command his secondary stuff and was leaving it up in the zone. So they were all sitting dead red fastball. Inconsistent outing....flashes of dominance followed by the reality he still is very rusty and needs work.

I am amazed that Knapp has been as good as he has. He has a ton of rust that he needs to work off, and I am praying that he stays healthy, because he can be a dominant pitcher with his stuff, whether it be as a starter (hopefully!) or out of the pen.
stoike
Draft Prospect

Postby OhioBaseball » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:59 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
npc29 wrote:

Seems to be working. Holt's up to .316, currently 2 for 3 tonight. Was going to say that maybe he was seeing more fastballs with Cid on base in front of him but Cid's 0 for 3 with 2 K's. Maybe Holt's just good. :good:

Yeah, Holt has been real solid. He's probably got one of the quickest bats in the entire system. He's never going to be a home run hitter, but I'm encouraged by 8 2B's and 2 3B's even if its a small sample size. He's always going to have his critics being an undersized OF, but he could develop into a nice player.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:29 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
MadThinker88 wrote:

Yeah, DH with first game starting at 1pm.

I guess the storm that rolled through last night tore the field up pretty well with rain and some other damage.

See you there.

I had tickets to the game as well. Was unable to make either remaining game (went to Toledo for the Hens/Clippers on Sunday and was at the Air Show on Monday). No big deal, however, as I'll be in Eastlake for the playoffs (less than 48 hours, the anticipation is building :yahoo: ).

Is it just me or is Eastlake the only Tribe org park with these kind of field issues? My guess is that it has to with the warning track. They're always digging holes in it when it starts raining (I honestly don't remember the last Caps rain delay I was at that the game got restarted.). I have a feeling that if somebody in the first row spilled a beer it would make the field unplayable. :biggrin: It's really a bad situation as it casts a bad light on an otherwise first class organization.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:07 pm

Since Cespedes appears to be the guy sent out to make room for Soto and both pitched in the nightcap, any word on what one-day move was made to clear roster space for Sunday? I'm trying to reconcile the regular-season ending transactions log and this is one of two hurdles remaining.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it. Rayl wasn't activated until the 6th. Soto took the spot opened up by Sarianides' DLing and Rayl was activated after Cespedes was sent to Mahoning Valley (i.e. sent home).
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:59 pm

First playoff inning for Knapp...... strikes out the side!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:09 pm

Nice start for Knapp - 5IP, 2H, 0R, 1BB, 6K
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby martyinnewyork » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:41 pm

Captains up 3-1 after 6...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:42 pm

Holt with another double tonight and a SB - his 2nd of the post-season
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby martyinnewyork » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:51 pm

Bottom of 7, still ahead but only by a 3-2 score...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:13 pm

Captains still lead 3-2 after 8..... Preston Guilmet continuing his strong year with 1.2 scoreless in relief.

1 inning away from a series win.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby martyinnewyork » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:20 pm

Captains advance!
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:23 pm

Guilmet closes it out.

What to make of him?! Granted at 23 he's old for the league, but an 8:1 K:BB ratio, 13.67 K/9 and a 2.25ERA make a great year no matter how old you are.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby martyinnewyork » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:41 pm

Brach also had a nice year, not as good as Guilmet, but very solid...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:07 am

Guilmet closes it out.

What to make of him?! Granted at 23 he's old for the league, but an 8:1 K:BB ratio, 13.67 K/9 and a 2.25ERA make a great year no matter how old you are.

Yeah surprised he lasted all year in LC. If a guy is that dominant I would think you can make room for him in Kinston.

Curious to know how often guys skip a level like Packer did going from A to AA?
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk