RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Pestano's Injury

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Pestano's Injury

Postby TribeFan13 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:33 pm

What is the status of Vinnie Pestano? (Injury update?)
TribeFan13
Undrafted Free Agent

Re: Pestano's Injury

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:25 am

I talked to him at the end of the AFL season either at the end of November or early December and he said the arm was not feeling good. I am not sure what his current status is, but I get the feeling (and am speculating) surgery/retirement is being considered. Either way, I don't expect him to open with a full season team as he likely starts in EST.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby InsaneJedi » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:45 am

That's a real shame, if that is the case Tony. I was a huge fan of Pestano's last season, and thought he might have gotten promoted to CBus had the injury not occurred. He seems like a great guy and a great pitcher; hopefully his arm can regain its former status.

Out of curiosity, what was the injury in the first place? Was it an elbow injury?
InsaneJedi
Draft Prospect

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:51 am

For the sake of Vinnie (& his father who appeared on this board briefly last summer) I hope Tony's speculation of injury retirement does not come to pass in 2010.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:40 pm

It was his elbow. He had Tommy John surgery a few years back, and he came down with elbow issues this past July and just has not been able to get it right. I think it is very likely if he does not retire that he spends most of next season in extended spring training. But that is my guess. I'll see if I can get an update on the arm.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby wpestano » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:44 pm

I am sure some of you remember my last rant ( over 8 months ago though ) the xanax the doctor prescribed seemed to have helped in some friggin way.

Just wanted to update those who have shown some interest in Vinnie (I am sure he thanks you for the kind words )

In June Vinnie was given the impression he needed a better slider( which everyone should know at a 90 mph fastball this pitch is crucial especially for a three quarter arm slot pitcher) if he was to advance, within a week of working on the pitch he was feeling some discomfort and because of the previous TommyJohn surgery the team decided to let his arm rest for a few weeks to see if this would help, when it didn't he was but on the (in active list?). Vinnie had the Team doctor give his premission to do an MRI that showed no problem with the previous surgery but noticed some fluid in the muscle and decided to transfer Vinnie to Arizona for rehab. After weeks of Rehad he actually threw in 4 AFL games but still wasn't a 100% so he was given permission by the team to have Dr Lewis Yocum re-examine his arm, x-rays as well as the MRI were reviewed by Dr. Yocum and his elbow was given extreme stress tests and his arm was found to be in great shape. Dr Yocum suggested a different rehab program and spoke with the Team Doctor about this, since the visit in early Dec Vinnie has moved to Goodyear to work out with the trainers on a daily basis and I am happy to say at this point is throwing at 120 feet with no pain (obviously it is still early). I believe in a week or two Vinnie will begin some bullpen work or flat ground throwing to see if this makes a difference, I know he is on a full lifting program, running and throwing schedule and if everything continues in the this manner cannot wait for sping training, He expects to be 100% ready to go. If anything changes I will try to keep you informed on indianprospectsinsider.

He has not thrown the other slider since June and has been workng another pitch, I think a better change up?
wpestano
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby A.Zajac » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:48 pm

wpestano wrote:I am sure some of you remember my last rant ( over 8 months ago though ) the xanax the doctor prescribed seemed to have helped in some friggin way.

Just wanted to update those who have shown some interest in Vinnie (I am sure he thanks you for the kind words )

In June Vinnie was given the impression he needed a better slider( which everyone should know at a 90 mph fastball this pitch is crucial especially for a three quarter arm slot pitcher) if he was to advance, within a week of working on the pitch he was feeling some discomfort and because of the previous TommyJohn surgery the team decided to let his arm rest for a few weeks to see if this would help, when it didn't he was but on the (in active list?). Vinnie had the Team doctor give his premission to do an MRI that showed no problem with the previous surgery but noticed some fluid in the muscle and decided to transfer Vinnie to Arizona for rehab. After weeks of Rehad he actually threw in 4 AFL games but still wasn't a 100% so he was given permission by the team to have Dr Lewis Yocum re-examine his arm, x-rays as well as the MRI were reviewed by Dr. Yocum and his elbow was given extreme stress tests and his arm was found to be in great shape. Dr Yocum suggested a different rehab program and spoke with the Team Doctor about this, since the visit in early Dec Vinnie has moved to Goodyear to work out with the trainers on a daily basis and I am happy to say at this point is throwing at 120 feet with no pain (obviously it is still early). I believe in a week or two Vinnie will begin some bullpen work or flat ground throwing to see if this makes a difference, I know he is on a full lifting program, running and throwing schedule and if everything continues in the this manner cannot wait for sping training, He expects to be 100% ready to go. If anything changes I will try to keep you informed on indianprospectsinsider.

He has not thrown the other slider since June and has been workng another pitch, I think a better change up?

Thank you so much for your update. We greatly appreciate it! Hoping he makes a full recovery!
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby wpestano » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:02 am

IF he stays healtly like it seems now, he will be back with a vengence, notice the if is in Capital letters?
wpestano
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby artgold » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:09 am

Thanks for the update, these types of insights are always appreciated.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:55 am

Indeed, thank you for sharing. Many people are pulling for him.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby wpestano » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:46 am

Thanks everyone it is still early but hard to stop this kid, if there is any discomfort Vinnie would simply prefer a shot of cortizone knowing that it is just pain and get back on the diamond, I don't know if the organization would allow this but the doctors I talked to said it would just stiffle the pain so long as it was monitored properly? thanks again and the zanax must be working.
wpestano
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:08 am

wpestano wrote:Thanks everyone it is still early but hard to stop this kid, if there is any discomfort Vinnie would simply prefer a shot of cortizone knowing that it is just pain and get back on the diamond, I don't know if the organization would allow this but the doctors I talked to said it would just stiffle the pain so long as it was monitored properly? thanks again and the zanax must be working.

I really hope Vinnie gets back since he was #37 on my list and a top sleeper prospect along with Steven Wright. I would just like to add a caution about corticosteroids. Medicine has come a long way since the medics and trainers used cortizone to treat some of my foot and ankle injuries in HS and college. Everyone acted on the best knowledge at the time but the long term effects of that use have not been kind as I have gotten older. Just be careful with his arm, please.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby wpestano » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Thanks slinger I agree and was encouraged when i was told it would only happen one time.
wpestano
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:48 pm

Thanks for the update Bill. I actually talked to Vinnie through email yesterday and he is in great spirits. 2009 was a rough year, and with a new year brings new opportunity. Hopefully the arm holds up because if it does I think he has the potential to pitch in a big league bullpen.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby wpestano » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:38 am

Thanks Tony, he knows time is catching up on him and being hurt does not help, if he is healty which it sounds like in January and continues to work hard he will happy just moving up the ladder, he throws from 150 feet tomorrow and he will start the flat ground throwing, keep the best wishes coming they really do help folks, in fact if some of you would like to say hello here is e-mail, I am sure it would make him feel good and work even harder.

Vinnie Pestano <vinnie_pestano@yahoo.com>,
wpestano
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby wpestano » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:48 am

Just to give you an update, Vinnie has been throwing Monday, Wednesday and Friday 30 to 40 pitch bullpens for about 3 weeks from slightly higher arm angle without any pain or discomfort. We all hope it holds up this year, Vinnie said it felt stronger than the last two years, good luck to all the young guys.
wpestano
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:05 am

Thanks for the update Bill. You know I am pulled for the Vin-man.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby DiamondDave » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:12 pm

That is great to hear Bill. I met your son at the All Star game in Trenton and he was a class act. I made him sign all my things from the 2004 CWS !!! I love how all those CSF guys play ball! PJ, Pilly,Davis,Dorn,Garcia and your son!!! I wish him well!

Dave S.
Staten Island,NY
DiamondDave
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby wpestano » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:38 am

Dave, you are a fan of CSUF, just named off the starting 2004 CWS Champs, great group of kids and how about RED at second now with Baltimore, Vinnie is fine and feels better than he has in a couple of years, little higher slot with less stress from what he is telling me. But he'll have to make it a whole season to get back in the fold, but thank you for the nice comments about Vinnie (mother's side, grandfather high school Lombardi winner from Missouri) keeps him grounded.
wpestano
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby DiamondDave » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:57 am

Bill, I live in Staten Island,New York and the 2 local teams close to my area are the Staten Island Yankees (A) and the Treanton Thunder Yanks (AA). I'm a big baseball fan and enjoyed the 2004 CWS. l loved the way thAT CSF played the game. Then after the MLB draft that June the Yanks drafted PJ Pilittere,Felipe Garcia and Mike Martinez. Got close with PJ and have see him play in 5 of his 6 seasons. He is a great guy ! Felipe was a great guy also, didn't get to know Martinez well. When I go to Trenton I've met Blake Davis, Brett Pill and your son. I missed out seeing Ricky Ro and Justin Turner. Whenever I talk to a player that played with CSF, I tell them they play the game different than other college guys. They always play hard, "oldschool" baseball. I spoke to Pilly and PJ about this and they said it's the way they were coached. That must have been a special time for you guys in 2004. I see Brett Pill's brother Tyler pitches for CSF now. Even though I'm from NY I still listen to the games on CSF radio. I would like to make it out to Omaha to see them play in a CWS !! Glad that Vinnie is feeling better, hope he takes his time and gets healthy first, I could imagine given his great work ethic that he wants to do as much as possible to pitch in a game again. Tell him his fans in NY/NJ said, "what's up"????? Thanks again Bill.

Dave S.
Staten Island,NY
DiamondDave
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby wpestano » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:44 am

Dave, if you get the chance go!!!!!!!!!!! there is no better feeling than Omaha in June, I have never seen an entire community takes 8 different sides equally, just amazing, thousands of CSUF fans and 22 to 25 thousand fans per game just an experience you have to see to believe, I will pass on your goodwill to Vinnie.

Thanks

Bill
wpestano
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby DiamondDave » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:26 pm

Bill, Wow! 25K fans.....that's awesome.... Would loved to get out there this year if they make it... Thanks for the info....

thanks,
Dave
DiamondDave
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby webba2000 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:14 am

Congratulations Vinnie

:drinks:
webba2000
Draft Prospect

Postby martyinnewyork » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:57 am