RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Winter League thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Winter League thread

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:17 am

We have the AFL thread, but nothing to talk about the other leagues.

Daz is posting some nice recaps twice a week...many props to him for doing these. Here is today's update:

http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/2 ... up_15.html

Spoke to Jordan Brown and Randy Newsom yesterday....Brown is in the DR and Newsom in VZ getting ready to play. May get these two on our radio show soon. Want to talk to Jordan about his season and all that as well as being a new father, and Randy about the upcoming Rule 5 and his thoughts on that as well as his season.

Erik Stiller may be on our show this week to talk about his season and his experience so far in the AFL. Next week I may have Matt Meyer on to talk about his season and his experience so far in the Hawaii Winter League. Got lots of other guys I have been in contact with that I will try to have on throughout the offseason. Some pretty big names and guys who could be on the Indians 25-man roster next spring when camp breaks.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: Winter League thread

Postby Duane Kuiper » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:38 am

From Rotoworld.

Matt LaPorta fanned all five times he was up for Caracas of the Venezuelan Winter League.

LaPorta also went 0-for-5 with two strikeouts on Saturday after opening the VWL season 5-for-13 with a couple of doubles. It's not a major concern, as he obviously has some rust to shake. He hadn't taken at-bats in games since suffering a concussion when he was beaned in the Olympics.
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby carnegie44115 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:31 am

Duane Kuiper wrote:From Rotoworld.

Matt LaPorta fanned all five times he was up for Caracas of the Venezuelan Winter League.

LaPorta also went 0-for-5 with two strikeouts on Saturday after opening the VWL season 5-for-13 with a couple of doubles. It's not a major concern, as he obviously has some rust to shake. He hadn't taken at-bats in games since suffering a concussion when he was beaned in the Olympics.

Rotoworld is a little off since he had what 3 or 4 HR in the Akron playoffs. There is much lack of attention to checking sources and info on articles in sports, but I must say I hardly see that from the theclevelandfan.com or any of the people that work there, keep up the good work.
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby gorman8621 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:05 pm

LaPorta went deep for the first time, with his avg still around .200

Matt McBride went deep for the 2nd time this offseason, going 3-4 on Wed I believe
gorman8621
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:02 pm

Is Matt McBride completely done with catcher now? I know he's playing the OF in winter ball.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:11 pm

No, McBride will still be catching. He is playing outfield to stretch his arm out in his rehab from labrum surgery and also learn a secondary positoon.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby carnegie44115 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:14 pm

Consigliere wrote:No, McBride will still be catching. He is playing outfield to stretch his arm out in his rehab from labrum surgery and also learn a secondary positoon.

But with Santana in the system, you have to think McBride will be an OF for the Indians when and if he makes it to the majors this with assuming Santana is the C we all think he could be.
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Could see him being a bit of a 'super-utlity' guy if both he and Santana make it to the bigs. Playing multiple positions never hurt anyone....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:23 pm

carnegie44115 wrote:
Consigliere wrote:No, McBride will still be catching. He is playing outfield to stretch his arm out in his rehab from labrum surgery and also learn a secondary positoon.

But with Santana in the system, you have to think McBride will be an OF for the Indians when and if he makes it to the majors this with assuming Santana is the C we all think he could be.

No reason to change yet. He is not blocked by anyone at the moment as he will likely open as the starting catcher in Kinston. Santana in Arkon. One of Gimenez/Toregas in Columbus. A lot can change in one year, so we'll see where things stand at this point next year before they move him from behind the plate. Before his labrum injury he was a Top 5 catcher in all minor league baseball, so no need to rush the move yet.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby carnegie44115 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:47 pm

Consigliere wrote:
carnegie44115 wrote:

No reason to change yet. He is not blocked by anyone at the moment as he will likely open as the starting catcher in Kinston. Santana in Arkon. One of Gimenez/Toregas in Columbus. A lot can change in one year, so we'll see where things stand at this point next year before they move him from behind the plate. Before his labrum injury he was a Top 5 catcher in all minor league baseball, so no need to rush the move yet.

Right yeah def no prolem for him to be catching, but Im saying just in the long run if Santana is the starting C in Clevleand, obviously McBride would need to play elsewhere.
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:55 am

http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/2 ... up_26.html

Latest installment is up.

Highlights: -

- Wes Hodges putting on a show in the AFL

- Matt McBride showing consistancy in Hawaii

- 21 year old OF Roman Pena putting in a really impressive performance in Mexico.

- LaPorta hitting for some power in Venezuela - is only hitting .209, but continues to bat cleanup. The Venezuelan league is taken very seriously, so for him to continue to be hit 4th in the order he must be showing something that the coaching staff likes.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:40 pm

carnegie44115 wrote:Right yeah def no prolem for him to be catching, but Im saying just in the long run if Santana is the starting C in Clevleand, obviously McBride would need to play elsewhere.

Or use McBride as trade bait then. Young catchers are hard to come by, so having an abundance isn't a bad thing.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:53 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
carnegie44115 wrote:Right yeah def no prolem for him to be catching, but Im saying just in the long run if Santana is the starting C in Clevleand, obviously McBride would need to play elsewhere.

Or use McBride as trade bait then. Young catchers are hard to come by, so having an abundance isn't a bad thing.

he needs to be a real spec first though hes a guy who wouldn't make the top 30 at least not to me
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:26 am

McBride was still ranked in the top 15 in the Indians organization by Baseball America before this year.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:49 am

Hermie13 wrote:McBride was still ranked in the top 15 in the Indians organization by Baseball America before this year.....

That was before this year.

Lots changed with the trade acquisitions and draft and also some other young players establishing themselves. Several of the Top 15 from last year may be lucky to be in the Top 30 this year. McBride is still valuable, but several players right now have jumped him.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:59 am

I know, hence why I said 'before this year' ;)

But we only added like 4 players ranked higher than him (Laporta, Brantley, Meloan, Santana). Maybe Bryson but injury may knock him down some. And only guy in the draft I think that passes him is Chisenhall.....but we'll see. McBride being healthy now should keep his stock up some what. Obviously only playing 45 games during the regular season will hurt him. He's borderline top 20, but still top 30. Not enough guys jumped him IMO.

Point was he has been considered a solid prospect before and in a year or two can get back up there if he stays healthy from here on out.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby gorman8621 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:16 pm

Hermie13 wrote:I know, hence why I said 'before this year' ;)

His point is what he was ranked before this season is meaningless now. We are talking about something known as the present ;)
gorman8621
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:04 am

He was injured this year, but hit well when playing. Plus being able to play a premium position like catcher helps his stock. Not a top 20 guy, but could very well be again by midseason next year.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby carnegie44115 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:04 pm

Does anyone know anything about Heath Taylor, I know he is pitching out in Hawaii, but he hasnt pitched since Oct 17, is there a reason for this?
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:42 pm

carnegie44115 wrote:Does anyone know anything about Heath Taylor, I know he is pitching out in Hawaii, but he hasnt pitched since Oct 17, is there a reason for this?

Hmm, good question. I'll see what I can find out.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:56 am

Consigliere wrote:
carnegie44115 wrote:Does anyone know anything about Heath Taylor, I know he is pitching out in Hawaii, but he hasnt pitched since Oct 17, is there a reason for this?

Hmm, good question. I'll see what I can find out.

Taylor has a blister on his finger that popped that he has spent the last two weeks recovering from.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:25 am

A blister.....good grief...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:57 am

Hermie13 wrote:A blister.....good grief...

These are killers to pitchers. Very hard to pitch with as it never heals and is painful and affects the grip and way the ball comes out of the hand believe it or not. As a former pitcher myself, I feel their pain.... :s_cry .
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:13 am

It's not like blisters have only been around for like 20 years though. Just annoying that something so small can cause a pitcher to miss time. I just recall Bob Feller making fun of a pitcher for a blister once. I know it's a different game....

Just pop that blister and throw some super glue on it to hold the skin together ;)

ha, just kidding (kinda). It's winter league so not a big deal at all...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby gotribe31 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:16 pm

Consigliere wrote:

These are killers to pitchers. Very hard to pitch with as it never heals and is painful and affects the grip and way the ball comes out of the hand believe it or not. As a former pitcher myself, I feel their pain.... :s_cry .

Tony, you used to pitch? Man, I thought I liked you..... :s_sarcastic
gotribe31
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:48 pm

gotribe31 wrote:
Consigliere wrote:

Heh, yeah. And left-handed to boot. So I am a little goofy and backwards. :s_gamer
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby gotribe31 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:00 pm

Consigliere wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:
Consigliere wrote:

Heh, yeah. And left-handed to boot. So I am a little goofy and backwards. :s_gamer

:s_wacko
gotribe31
Draft Prospect

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:26 am

A good 4th start for Adam Miller yesterday: - 6IP, 4H, 2R, 1ER, 2BB, 4K. The Aguilas bullpen allowed 12 runs in the 7th inning, so Miller missed out on the win as Aguilas fell 14-12.

He was banged around for 6 runs in 1.2IP in his second start, but has a 3.60ERA over 15 innings in his other 3 starts combined (12H, 2BB, 10K).

Also, Chris Gimenez only went 1-for-2 but picked up another 3 walks. He may well be only hitting .229, but he has a .460OBP and .889OPS thanks in large part to his 14BB to only 9K in 11 games.

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp ... n_aguwin_1
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Duane Kuiper » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Saw this on another forum.

A list of stats for all Indian players in all winter leagues in one place.

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/org.jsp?id=cle&y=2008
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby jhonny » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:11 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:A good 4th start for Adam Miller yesterday: - 6IP, 4H, 2R, 1ER, 2BB, 4K. The Aguilas bullpen allowed 12 runs in the 7th inning, so Miller missed out on the win as Aguilas fell 14-12.

So that's where Juan Rincon is this winter.
jhonny
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby JP_Frost » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:36 pm

Maybe I'm jumping the gun a little, but should we be worried about LaPorta? The fact that he didn't much after the trade is understandable, but his numbers in the winter league aren't much better. Is he pressing too much, maybe he's tired?
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:35 pm

Got some firsthand info I will post on LaPorta in my weekend update on Sat. He'll be fine.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby dnosco » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:39 pm

JP_Frost wrote:Maybe I'm jumping the gun a little, but should we be worried about LaPorta? The fact that he didn't much after the trade is understandable, but his numbers in the winter league aren't much better. Is he pressing too much, maybe he's tired?

He's played about one full year of professional baseball and that is what people were basing their lofty projections on when the trade went down.

Yes, we should be worried, especially after the Bryson fiasco and that we know what Jackson is and isn't now and Brantley has significant question marks (no power, no arm and substandard defense--which makes him a LFer only)

People have said for the CC deal, for which the trigger was pulled unnecessarily early, to work out LaPorta has to live up to lofty expectations. At this point, it is looking like, as the catcher on "The Natural" said "Another great find for our scouting department". Let's hope it turns out that well!
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby JP_Frost » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:40 pm

Thanks Tony, looking forward to that.

I think he will be fine as well, but I'm just surprised by his sudden lack of hitting. Of course it's hard to figure out what's going on by just looking at box scores (maybe he's working on some specific things), however his performance does sort of determine the success of the Sabathia trade. That said, it's way too early to write him off, which is why I asked the question and hopefully Tony has some good news.

btw, Dnosco, it wasn't just his first pro season that people were basing their projection on. His numbers in college as well as scouting reports all confirm he has the potential to put up huge power numbers in the majors. Obviously those projections don't always become reality, but he's generally viewed upon as a "safe" bet to produce at the highest level.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:08 am

Fausto Carmona made his Winter League debut on Sunday tossing 4 scoreless innings for Aguilas of the DWL.

dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:12 am

Nice to see from Fausto. He is one of the big keys to the Indians 2009 season.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:51 am

Scott Lewis with a solid start yesterday.

Allowed 1 run through 5 innings off 4 hits with a BB and 6K before allowing back-to-back HRs with one out in the 6th to end his day.

Final line: - 5.1IP, 6H, 3R/ER, 1BB, 7K

Now has 27K to 6BB in 22IP so far on the Winter season.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:29 am

It appears that Adam Miller has now been moved to the Bullpen in the Dominican.

After his 6 scoreless innings on 11/7 he came on in relief in the 4th inning yesterday and spun 3 solid innings (3H, 1R/ER, 2K).

His overall ERA now sits at 4.56 in 25.2IP, but most of the damage was done against him in his second start when he allowed 6ER in 1.2IP. If you take that away he has a pretty good 2.63ERA in 24IP (20H, 4BB, 20K).
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:16 am

After a string of rainouts Fausto Carmona finally managed to make his second start for Aguilas of the DWL yesterday.

6IP, 6H, 2R/ER, 0BB, 7K with 7 ground outs to 4 fly outs.

He was relieved by Adam Miller who worked 3 perfect innings with 5Ks in relief to get the save.

Good night for Indians pitchers..... new Bullpen Coach Chuck Hernandez was in attendance as well - working some magic already!! :s_sarcastic

dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:17 am

Fingers crossed on Miller. Man, if he can stay healthy and he can adapt to the bully role, there is not a FA out there besides maybe K-Rod who can impact this bullpen more for the Indians over the next 2-3 years.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:39 am

dazindiansfanuk wrote:After a string of rainouts Fausto Carmona finally managed to make his second start for Aguilas of the DWL yesterday.

6IP, 6H, 2R/ER, 0BB, 7K with 7 ground outs to 4 fly outs.

He was relieved by Adam Miller who worked 3 perfect innings with 5Ks in relief to get the save.

Good night for Indians pitchers..... new Bullpen Coach Chuck Hernandez was in attendance as well - working some magic already!! :s_sarcastic

Now that is a great sign.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:14 pm

Consigliere wrote:Fingers crossed on Miller. Man, if he can stay healthy and he can adapt to the bully role, there is not a FA out there besides maybe K-Rod who can impact this bullpen more for the Indians over the next 2-3 years.

I think not even K-rod could, yes he had a lot of saves but was far from dominant last year
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:09 pm

A couple of adjustments to the rosters in Venezuela and the Dominican.

Randy Newsom is no longer on the roster for Leones del Caracas.... it appears he was released.... Tony, any chance you could ask Randy for the full story?

Also, Eddie Mujica has transferred from Caribes de Anzoategui to Navegantes del Magallanes - don't know why.... maybe something to do with his 13.50ERA for Caribes (4IP, 6ER).

On top of that, Jhonny Peralta has joined up with Aguilas of the DWL and Asdrubal Cabrera is now playing with Lara of the VWL.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:13 pm

I talked to Newsom a few weeks back and he said he was having issues with a blister on his finger that tore apart and got infected.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby carnegie44115 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:25 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:A couple of adjustments to the rosters in Venezuela and the Dominican.

Randy Newsom is no longer on the roster for Leones del Caracas.... it appears he was released.... Tony, any chance you could ask Randy for the full story?

Also, Eddie Mujica has transferred from Caribes de Anzoategui to Navegantes del Magallanes - don't know why.... maybe something to do with his 13.50ERA for Caribes (4IP, 6ER).

On top of that, Jhonny Peralta has joined up with Aguilas of the DWL and Asdrubal Cabrera is now playing with Lara of the VWL.

And on top of that when Peralta played the other night, he was at 3B.
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:52 pm

You are correct.... I seem to remember though that Jhonny has spent a lot of winter seasons past playing some 3B.... I could be wrong and, this off-season especially it could definately be seen as a sign of things to come.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:33 am

The Carmona train keeps on rolling.

Made his 3rd start for Aguilas last night: -

6IP, 4H, 1R, 3BB, 3K

He now sports a 1.69ERA over 16IP in his 3 starts.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:44 am

He needs to work on keeping those walks down though still.....a 1-1 K/BB ratio isn't very good (I know it was just one start though). Walks are what killed him this year (well, and overthrowing his sinker).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby carnegie44115 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:34 pm

Hermie13 wrote:He needs to work on keeping those walks down though still.....a 1-1 K/BB ratio isn't very good (I know it was just one start though). Walks are what killed him this year (well, and overthrowing his sinker).

Hermie you just hit the button on the nose, he overthrows on his sinker when he seems to be getting frustrated, he is going have to learn how to one control those emotions and get the sinker where he wants it to go and not be so erratic. Its too bad CC is gone, he could teach a young fireballer how to harness the emotions and not overthrow, just don't let Fausto watch CCs performance in game 5 of the ALCS, sitting in the RF seats and watching the speed saying 97, 98, I knew it was going to be a long night.
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:48 pm

There's no doubt it's the over-throwing that causes Carmonas problems.

How he performs in the Dominican should give us a bearing on how he's handling his emotions though, as I'm sure there are more hyped up fans at these games than at some April games in Cleveland.

So far Fausto has 5 walks to 12Ks in his 16 innings, so the early signs are pretty good.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Next

Return to Indians Prospect Talk