RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Distribution of our prospects

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Distribution of our prospects

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:45 am

1-10 11-20 21-30 31-40 41-50
Cleveland 0 1 1 0 0
Columbus 4 6 0 1 0
Akron 4 1 2 3 3
Kinston 2 0 6 2 3
Lake County 0 2 1 1 4
other 0 0 0 3 0

I have taken the list from Tony's rankings and only included 1-50. I felt that too many organizational players and extended spring training prospects would be included to draw any conclusions, meaningful or otherwise. I guess I didn't realize that only two prospects, Lewis and Crowe, made Cleveland's opening day roster. While both were reasonably rated, neither is a premium (1-10) prospect.

Columbus has the most premium and near premium prospects (10) but it looks like the remainder of the 24 man roster is largely made up of internal players who no longer qualify and veteran retreads. I think this is probably the way it should be and I suspect it was not that way last year. Interestingly enough, of the 10 top Columbus prospects, only 4 are pitchers and 3 of those are currently relievers. The other 6 are distributed evenly among the position players with SS and one OF position not included.

Akron has as many premium prospects as Columbus and has the greatest total prospects (13) of any team. They do not have the depth of near premium (1) but have a nice balance in the 21-50 range. Position players comprise nearly all the top prospects with Rondon the sole exception. There is a more even distribution in the second tier of Akron prospects but Akron, like Columbus, is stronger in position players than pitching depth. I conclude that there is a shortage of quality starting pitching prospects in the upper levels. Except for Lewis, who is already in Cleveland, it looks to me like the only upper level impact starting pitching prospects are Huff and Rondon. It's a long way down to the rest.

Kinston does pretty well with two premium prospects and a lot of developing players. They are heavily populated with players from the productive 2008 draft. The nice thing, IMO, is that there is a lot of starting pitching which should help make up for the shortage at upper levels but is further away. If there is one thing you can count on is that young pitching gets injured so the organization is likely to need this depth and maybe more. Depth among the position players doesn't appear to be as good but with the high ceiling prospects in the upper organization, I do not view this as a serious concern.

Lake does not come out too badly with 2 near premium prospects and some talent that will likely develop over the year including additional pitching depth. The roster suffers a bit because so many 2008 draftees are skipping Lake. This is probably the way it should be, as well. You can not have too much pitching and this looks to be the strength at Lake.

In summary, it looks to me like the upper levels are strong in position players and the lower levels have the pitching depth. Not perfect but not a lot to be overly concerned about either. :s_thumbsup
Ps: Sorry I cannot gert the damn matrix to line up. Feel free to use your imagination.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Re: Distribution of our prospects

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:48 am

Where did you include Adam Miller then....on the Columbus one?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:09 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Where did you include Adam Miller then....on the Columbus one?

Yeah, I did. Another brain cramp since he is on the DL. Should have been included in other. My bad. Let's hope it is not too long before he is in Columbus! :s_blush
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:43 pm

Interesting breakdown. Thanks for sharing.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:24 am

indianinkslinger wrote:Yeah, I did. Another brain cramp since he is on the DL. Should have been included in other. My bad. Let's hope it is not too long before he is in Columbus! :s_blush

ha, no worries. Yeah hopefully he can get back there quickly, though I do hope that he doesn't try rushing things in his frustration to get back. We've waited forever it seems to see what he can do....what's an extra half season really.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Indians Prospect Talk