RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Juan Lara re-signed

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Juan Lara re-signed

Postby npc29 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:04 pm

http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives ... _lara.html

Wow... This is a surprise, but a pleasantly welcomed one.... Great news that he's even able to take this step.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Re: Juan Lara re-signed

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:25 pm

If Juan Lara can pitch and make a comeback, great for him. I (& I am sure many others) will wish him the best of luck and root him on.

My guess is this is more of a humanitarian effort on the part of the Tribe and Lara has enough pride not to take a handout. He wishes to earn his contract.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:26 pm

still a solid class move by the indians and not like we havent done this before during the strike they cut a MR, Matt turner I think who had cancer this way they could help pay his bills.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:18 am

If doctors have cleared him......then there's a chance. Probably not a very good one, but you never know. That was a very said day. Reminded me a bit of the boating accident in 1993. Good young pitcher that should have contributed that year in the pen. Obviously it's great that he survived unlike 2 of the 3 on the boat.

As I recall, didn't that 3rd guy make it back to the big leagues eventually? Don't think he ever did anything, but was good to see....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:39 pm

Hermie13 wrote:If doctors have cleared him......then there's a chance. Probably not a very good one, but you never know. That was a very said day. Reminded me a bit of the boating accident in 1993. Good young pitcher that should have contributed that year in the pen. Obviously it's great that he survived unlike 2 of the 3 on the boat.

As I recall, didn't that 3rd guy make it back to the big leagues eventually? Don't think he ever did anything, but was good to see....

kevin wickander, he was on the team to start the year then we traded him hoping for a fresh start, he was olin's best friend and his set up man, never was the same
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:15 pm

Unfortunately I remember that night very clearly. Being a bit of a nite owl at that time, I was hanging onto every news report and hoping that the outcome would be more positive.

Kevin Wickander was fortunately not on that boat or with the group of pitchers that day when the accident happened.

Rest in peace Steve Olin and Tim Crews.

The survivor of the accident and the pitcher that returned to pitch later that year was Bobby Ojeda.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:16 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Unfortunately I remember that night very clearly. Being a bit of a nite owl at that time, I was hanging onto every news report and hoping that the outcome would be more positive.

Kevin Wickander was fortunately not on that boat or with the group of pitchers that day when the accident happened.

Rest in peace Steve Olin and Tim Crews.

The survivor of the accident and the pitcher that returned to pitch later that year was Bobby Ojeda.

my bad I was 8 when it happened so my memory could easily fail me
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Return to Indians Prospect Talk