RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2009 Indians Prospect "breakout" thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

2009 Indians Prospect "breakout" thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:42 pm

With the season just around the corner, I thought it'd be fun if we all made our picks for the breakout prospects of the 2009 season.

I'm not talking about already hyped guys who've received a lot of press, but more guys that don't get much attention on a national scale, or even on a scale that would make them well known to Indians fans. So no "sexy" picks like Chisenhall, Abreu, DLC or Rondon!

Here are my picks: -

RH Starter - Alexander Perez

I've been pimping Perez since his DSL performance in 2007 and I know, in discussions with Tony about his top 100 list, that those of us who helped with the list really like this guy. But, I still feel he qualifies as not well known amongst the casual fan.

LH Starter - Eric Berger

Another guy we ranked pretty highly in the top 100, but coming back from injury before being drafted he hasn't received a lot of press and isn't well known I'd wager amongst most Tribe fans (or at least those who haven't read Tonys book).

Relievers - Personally I'm going to say Josh Judy..... it wouldn't surprise me if Judy made a Jensen Lewis like rise through the system in 2009! He's probably going to start the year a level below that of Lewis in 2007, so I don't expect him to make the Indians in 2009, but I wouldn't be shocked if he was seen as a potential call-up in Sept 2009 and a definate invitee to ML camp in spring 2010.

If Danny Sandoval officially gets moved to the pen he'd get some consideration from me here too.

Infielders - Cord Phelps

Maybe he falls into the "sexy" pick category because of his draft status, but I'm going to pick him anyway. Jeremie Tice is another guy who falls into this category.

Outfielders - Bo Greenwell

An athlete when he was drafted who seems to be turning into a ballplayer more and more by the day. He translated his tools into performance in 2008 and this could be the year that really puts him on the map.

What are everybody elses thoughts?
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Re: 2009 Indians Prospect "breakout" thread

Postby jellis » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:00 pm

berger and greenwell were the first two names I thought of when I read the heading
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby artgold » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:40 pm

Good thread, I was thinking about starting this too. I won't list Perez, I think he is becoming too obvious a breakout choice. I'll try to reach a bit further back in the listings.

My picks would be Josh Judy, Josh Tomlin, Vinnie Pestano, Marty Popham and Carlos Rivero. I'll toss in Darling Read as a flier too, he has an impressive speed and power combo, though I have some doubts about him making sufficient contact. However, he has a chance to be something special if he develops a better two strike batting approach this season.

Regarding potential, I think Judy could be a back of the bullpen guy within a few years. Tomlin a solid #4 or #5 starting pitcher, in the mold of how we regard Lewis today. Pestano a plus middle reliever, able to face both righties and lefties. Popham is pretty interesting, seems to have a good combination of arm strength and the potential to start, if he can keep his confidence up. Rivero is a bit of a known, but I think he moves up a bit towards a 15 HR guy with a high batting average.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:09 am

Prior to his being dealt, I had John Gaub pegged as a full breakout/ fast riser through the system this year (due to his 100 ks in under 65 IP last season). It will be interesting to see how he does within the Cubs system this year.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:23 am

TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:28 am

Oh, I like this game. Perez is a good choice and leave it to Tony to go the easy way with Putnam. How about the "other" Akron RH, Jeanmar Gomez? Art, you sneaker! You knew I would go with Rivero even though we tagged him pretty high. My choice for LH starter is Scott Lewis. OK, I will go with Ryan Morris. I am going to dig into the DL for my reliever and pick Bryson. I know he is bit long in the tooth but I think Montero could do some good stuff when he gets to Akron. And how about a truly futile gesture and predict Robbie Alcombrack will get his act together at Catcher? :s_wacko
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby dnosco » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:56 am

RHP - Alexander Perez

LHP - Eric Berger

I think these two guys are locks. Everything is stacked for them to have success beyond what the pundits think they could have. However, the biggest breakout among pitchers will be LHP Elvis Araujo. It won't be as obvious because he will be on the Arizona League team that won't start playing until the middle of June but he will be in the top 10 or 15 prospts by the end of the year, if he stays healthy.

Relievers;

LHP - Ryan Edell

RHP - Eddie Burns, Zach Putnam (if they make him a reliever this year)

Infielders: Rivero (if he isn't seriously injured) or Jordan Brown

Outfielders: Lucas Montero

I can't leave this without commenting on Greenwell. He strikes me as having no speed, no power, no arm. Also, from my long range look, he seems to me to have that classic 'I am a high draft pick and the son of a major leaguer' attitude without even one of the accompanying tools. Contrast that to Michael Brantley. The only plus in Greenwell's game is that he has the moxy to realize that if you wait out rookie ball pitchers you can pile up a lot of walks. That, of course, disappears as he moves up the ladder, removing the only real plus from his game. Sorry if that offends anyone but, to me, he is as far from a breakout prospect as I could possibly imagine.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby artgold » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:01 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:Oh, I like this game. Perez is a good choice and leave it to Tony to go the easy way with Putnam. How about the "other" Akron RH, Jeanmar Gomez? Art, you sneaker! You knew I would go with Rivero even though we tagged him pretty high. My choice for LH starter is Scott Lewis. OK, I will go with Ryan Morris. I am going to dig into the DL for my reliever and pick Bryson. I know he is bit long in the tooth but I think Montero could do some good stuff when he gets to Akron. And how about a truly futile gesture and predict Robbie Alcombrack will get his act together at Catcher? :s_wacko

Hey, this ain't fantasy baseball. You can pick guys I pick too.

I think you are a little higher on Rivero's potential than I am. I see him as a solid fielder (BTW, I think he can stay at SS) who bats .280/.350/.450 type of numbers, kind of the type of line Hodges had last season. In our discussions, I think you have him pegged even higher, so I have no problem saying that if he turns into another ARod, you called that, not me.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:00 pm

dnosco wrote:RHP - Alexander Perez

LHP - Eric Berger

I think these two guys are locks. Everything is stacked for them to have success beyond what the pundits think they could have. However, the biggest breakout among pitchers will be LHP Elvis Araujo. It won't be as obvious because he will be on the Arizona League team that won't start playing until the middle of June but he will be in the top 10 or 15 prospts by the end of the year, if he stays healthy.

Relievers;

LHP - Ryan Edell

RHP - Eddie Burns, Zach Putnam (if they make him a reliever this year)
Infielders: Rivero (if he isn't seriously injured) or Jordan Brown

Outfielders: Lucas Montero

I can't leave this without commenting on Greenwell. He strikes me as having no speed, no power, no arm. Also, from my long range look, he seems to me to have that classic 'I am a high draft pick and the son of a major leaguer' attitude without even one of the accompanying tools. Contrast that to Michael Brantley. The only plus in Greenwell's game is that he has the moxy to realize that if you wait out rookie ball pitchers you can pile up a lot of walks. That, of course, disappears as he moves up the ladder, removing the only real plus from his game. Sorry if that offends anyone but, to me, he is as far from a breakout prospect as I could possibly imagine.

Just a guess but I think our fearless leader is now thinking that Putnam is going to be a starter. I have always thought that because of his mound presence and the mechanics that should clean up nicely. YOu could be right about him being closer material but I think that will wait.

I am probably not as negative on Greenwell as you but he certainly looks to the least talented of our "genetic" baseball line which includes Mills. I think the book ranked him correctly and you are probably right that even if he breaks out, as others feel, he is so far behind his age group appropriate comparisons that he will not be a factor in the organization. He reminds somewhat of that Boston guy we picked as a 1S, I think, a few years back (help me out, here) that just had too many holes and is now out of baseball. :s_scratchhead
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:06 pm

artgold wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:Oh, I like this game. Perez is a good choice and leave it to Tony to go the easy way with Putnam. How about the "other" Akron RH, Jeanmar Gomez? Art, you sneaker! You knew I would go with Rivero even though we tagged him pretty high. My choice for LH starter is Scott Lewis. OK, I will go with Ryan Morris. I am going to dig into the DL for my reliever and pick Bryson. I know he is bit long in the tooth but I think Montero could do some good stuff when he gets to Akron. And how about a truly futile gesture and predict Robbie Alcombrack will get his act together at Catcher? :s_wacko

Hey, this ain't fantasy baseball. You can pick guys I pick too.

I think you are a little higher on Rivero's potential than I am. I see him as a solid fielder (BTW, I think he can stay at SS) who bats .280/.350/.450 type of numbers, kind of the type of line Hodges had last season. In our discussions, I think you have him pegged even higher, so I have no problem saying that if he turns into another ARod, you called that, not me.

Sorry Art! I make the Rivero rules and you stole him. I have him higher than anyone on the board, probably. He's not A-rod, even without the roids but a drug free Tejada is within reach IMO.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:32 pm

indianinkslinger wrote: He reminds somewhat of that Boston guy we picked as a 1S, I think, a few years back (help me out, here) that just had too many holes and is now out of baseball. :s_scratchhead

Mike Conroy?
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:34 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:I have him higher than anyone on the board, probably. He's not A-rod, even without the roids but a drug free Tejada is within reach IMO.

Jellis rated Carlos Rivero 9th back in November (just saying).
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dnosco » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:38 pm

Putnam may be a starter this year but I think his path to the majors is as a reliever. Who is our fearless leader?
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:50 pm

dnosco wrote: Who is our fearless leader?

:s_laughat

I'd like to introduce you to Emperor Tony the 1st.....
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:04 pm

dnosco wrote:Putnam may be a starter this year but I think his path to the majors is as a reliever. Who is our fearless leader?

I think that's were most projections are for him, even if he ends up in the pen his arm seems like he should be a CL type down the road
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:48 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote: He reminds somewhat of that Boston guy we picked as a 1S, I think, a few years back (help me out, here) that just had too many holes and is now out of baseball. :s_scratchhead

Mike Conroy?

That's the guy! Thanks,daz.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:58 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:I have him higher than anyone on the board, probably. He's not A-rod, even without the roids but a drug free Tejada is within reach IMO.

Jellis rated Carlos Rivero 9th back in November (just saying).

Jellis is one smart guy for sure! I think we commented at the time how perceptive we both were. I have done upward revisions on Rivero and Brantley since then. Cannot speak to Jellis' current thinking but suspect he will comment.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby stoike » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:06 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:With the season just around the corner, I thought it'd be fun if we all made our picks for the breakout prospects of the 2009 season.

I'm not talking about already hyped guys who've received a lot of press, but more guys that don't get much attention on a national scale, or even on a scale that would make them well known to Indians fans. So no "sexy" picks like Chisenhall, Abreu, DLC or Rondon!

I've been pimping Perez since his DSL performance in 2007 and I know, in discussions with Tony about his top 100 list, that those of us who helped with the list really like this guy. But, I still feel he qualifies as not well known amongst the casual fan.

LH Starter - Eric Berger

Another guy we ranked pretty highly in the top 100, but coming back from injury before being drafted he hasn't received a lot of press and isn't well known I'd wager amongst most Tribe fans (or at least those who haven't read Tonys book).

Relievers - Personally I'm going to say Josh Judy..... it wouldn't surprise me if Judy made a Jensen Lewis like rise through the system in 2009! He's probably going to start the year a level below that of Lewis in 2007, so I don't expect him to make the Indians in 2009, but I wouldn't be shocked if he was seen as a potential call-up in Sept 2009 and a definate invitee to ML camp in spring 2010.

If Danny Sandoval officially gets moved to the pen he'd get some consideration from me here too.

Infielders - Cord Phelps

Maybe he falls into the "sexy" pick category because of his draft status, but I'm going to pick him anyway. Jeremie Tice is another guy who falls into this category.

An athlete when he was drafted who seems to be turning into a ballplayer more and more by the day. He translated his tools into performance in 2008 and this could be the year that really puts him on the map.

Isn't Sandoval a journeyman infielder??? Please fill me in.....
stoike
Draft Prospect

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:13 pm

stoike wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:With the season just around the corner, I thought it'd be fun if we all made our picks for the breakout prospects of the 2009 season.

LH Starter - Eric Berger

Infielders - Cord Phelps

Isn't Sandoval a journeyman infielder??? Please fill me in.....

You're quite correct..... my apologies.... I meant Danny Salazar.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:07 am

Really like what I see out of Mike McGuire. Big, tall RH reliever with good velo. Not sure about secondary stuff.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby dnosco » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:13 am

You know, Mirabelli/Grant are making a name for themselves drafting relievers low in the draft (let's forget the David Roberts fiasco for the moment). McGuire threw hard early in his college career but not his draft year. That being said, what a perfect guy to draft low, sign for a reasonable bonus, and then end up with a low end prospect with some upside. With decent Latin prospects going for at least $100,000, US kids like McGuire are looking more attractive by the day.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby Uncle Rick » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:36 pm

Have to agree with Daz on Cord Phelps. I think every poster on this site is a stathead, but you still can't quantify what they call 'heart', and Phelps has it in abundance. In two years he will be giving Valbuena all he wants in 2B competition. My other choice, probably very unpopular, is Mike Aubrey. Since being sent down he is raking like hell,and if someone gives him a shot I think he proves he can hit ML pitching.
Uncle Rick
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:53 pm

Uncle Rick wrote:Have to agree with Daz on Cord Phelps. I think every poster on this site is a stathead, but you still can't quantify what they call 'heart', and Phelps has it in abundance. In two years he will be giving Valbuena all he wants in 2B competition. My other choice, probably very unpopular, is Mike Aubrey. Since being sent down he is raking like hell,and if someone gives him a shot I think he proves he can hit ML pitching.

If Valbuena is even at 2B.....lol.

ha, that being said. I think he is in for a big year. He struggled this spring, but I think having almost no pressure on him to perform this year will lead to some nice numbers. He knows that AC and Barfield are at the ML level now, so there's no need for him. He can just go out and play his game. If Valbuena can continue to get on base or even improve there, he could turn into a perfect #2 hitter for this club in the future.

I really with they'd let Aubrey play some LF/RF. He has a great arm as he was a college pitcher. He's got little chance of ever sticking with the big league club as only a 1B/DH. I hope he comes through too though.....would be great to see both he and Miller step up big this year to get something out of that draft.....
Last edited by Hermie13 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby artgold » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:22 am

Uncle Rick wrote:Have to agree with Daz on Cord Phelps. I think every poster on this site is a stathead, but you still can't quantify what they call 'heart', and Phelps has it in abundance. In two years he will be giving Valbuena all he wants in 2B competition. My other choice, probably very unpopular, is Mike Aubrey. Since being sent down he is raking like hell,and if someone gives him a shot I think he proves he can hit ML pitching.

I just don't see Aubrey driving the ball. He has a very smooth swing and gives himself a lot of bat time in the contact zone, but when you watch him close up in batting drills he hits a load of "soft" liners. I can see him turning into a Sean Casey type of batter, but I just don't see decent pop from his bat. Valbuena and Jordan Brown hit the ball much harder than Aubrey.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby toledobuck » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:12 pm

Lucas Montero - great speed and power combo; ready for a breakout this year even though he is a little old for an emerging prospect.

Eric Berger - great draft pick who should cement himself this year as a bonafide middle of the rotation starter prospect

Elvis Araujo - the next great DR pitcher who will make some noise in the AZ short season league this year
toledobuck
Rookie Baller

Postby dnosco » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:46 pm

toledobuck wrote:Lucas Montero - great speed and power combo; ready for a breakout this year even though he is a little old for an emerging prospect.

Eric Berger - great draft pick who should cement himself this year as a bonafide middle of the rotation starter prospect

Elvis Araujo - the next great DR pitcher who will make some noise in the AZ short season league this year

Great minds think alike. :-D
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby dnosco » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:39 pm

I have this feeling we are going to be hearing a lot from Jesus Brito this year. He may be taking an Abner Abreu path. His stats last year were just so-so in the DSL but he had good BB/K/AB numbers, 20 SB in 25 attempts. They apparently have moved him to third base from the outfield and he has had some play in AA and maybe AAA games this spring as a reserve and had a great game w/Mahoning Valley yesterday (2-3, 2B, HR, BB).

Not a breakout but definitely a watchout candidate.

Now watch, he will get cut in the next day or so!
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Return to Indians Prospect Talk