RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Release thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: Release thread

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:46 pm

Alcombrack is certainly a surprise. Especially with the catching we have in Kinston and Lake County to start the season. Bottom line, he was VERY out of shape last year and he just seemed to keep regressing. He came into camp in better shape, but in looking at the charts I have from the Indians, he never had a chance this spring. He was on the bubble right from the start of camp.

Injuries saved some guys. Many of the bubble guys were eventually released....the only "bubble" guys still in the org are Allman, Smit, Walter Diaz, Pickens, Caweizell and a few others.

Two guys who are close to being released from what I can tell are Jason Smit and Sung-Wei Tseng.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:33 pm

I guess some much for Australia for ever being a hot bed
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby stoike » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:54 pm

Wow, Tony. A bit surprised about two guys you mentioned. Smit- isn't he a bit young to give up on? He was a somewhat heralded prospect when he was signed, if I recall. And Caweizell...isn't he one of their up and coming bullpen power arms that flash alot of potential?? I REALLY cannot see him on the cutting block. What is the reasoning for his being on the bubble?? Seems like kind of a rapid rise and even more rapid fall from grace!
stoike
Draft Prospect

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:05 pm

I will echo the thoughts on Dallas C.
Posting nearly 1 k per IP is nothing to take for granted and its not like he is continually wild and walking guys.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:58 pm

Don't know why Cawiezell (or Smit) would be on the chopping block other than there are only so many slots as you move up the levels. Someone has to go. Just saw his name on the spring bubble list.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:05 pm

Hinkle was signed by the Pirates.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dnosco » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:27 am

Wow, this is not the list that I would have expected:

Cawiezell: He can throw up to 96 mph. You don't release guys like that this early in their career, especially when they are having success.

Smit: I can see it because he hasn't progressed but, still, why are you going to release him? So the next Corteze Armstrong can get playing time? Please!

Allman: I noticed you named him first. Hey, the guy was jerked around last year and he STILL hit over .300 in the GCL. He walked on in college and succeeded, being one of the top hitters in the Big 12 his senior year and came in as a NDFA and he has a great attitude. Translation: The best organizational guy you can ever imagine having, content to be the ultimate teammate and can produce when infrequently given a chance. Hey, he may not be a major leaguer, who knows. But he made it as far as Cody Bunkelman ever did and Allman is just in his first full season. Allman had a great spring and certainly appears better than Blair and Webb who can't even hit their own weight.

Pickens: I can see that as he is not hitting and has had a full season under his belt. Still, the guy CAN hit. But I can see this one.

Diaz: The only reason I see this one is because we have so many Latin middle infielders who are younger. Diaz, like Allman, appears to be the classic organizational utility man.

I am thinking that your spring bubble list may have been early on and, even if it wasn't, it's not like these guys have any clue as they were jerking kids around (see releasing Denham) almost immediately after telling them they had made a full season roster.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:49 am

It's sad to see some guys go, but this is a business. So what if they are 'jerking kids' around. This isn't school, they are out in the real world, and it's a tough place. Tribe should make decisions they feel are the best for the club even if it means making tough cuts like some of these after telling a guy one thing. Shouldn't baby these 'kids'
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:19 pm

FYI, these are all players considered on the bubble up to final cuts.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:26 pm

Believe it or not, Brad Hinkle announced today that he has retired from baseball.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Previous

Return to Indians Prospect Talk