Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

First cuts of the spring

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

First cuts of the spring

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:01 pm

The Indians made their first cuts of the spring. Ohka, Rundels and Edell were all sent down to Columbus or the minor league camp. Unless they need an injury replacement in Akron or Columbus, I think it can probably be said that their futures with the Indians organization are not promising. Looks to me like the only potential 2nd LH RP is now Tony Sipp unless Zach Jackson is moved to relief.

These are not the last cuts involving the veterans. It is still early but I would be hard pressed to think of any vet other than Chulk who might pitch his way onto the 25.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Re: First cuts of the spring

Postby TheWord » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:12 pm

So....who does everyone think it's going to be.

My guess is Salas.
TheWord
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:13 am

Yeah, Salas is my pick. If not him, then I think it will be Jackson.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:40 am

I'm warming up to the Jackson idea.....but I still think Salas gets it too (thought so at the time of the trade too somewhat).

Meloan and Jackson will see time though I bet before the end of May.....

I really can't see how Sipp is even an option for the last spot. If he were fully healthy and a go day 1 then maybe. But hasn't he been slowed a bit this spring with some lingering arm issues?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Call me crazy but I think they will intentionally keep Salas in Columbus to work on his breaking ball and command. He has not looked that sharp this spring IMO.

Sipp was shut down last year but looks awfully good this spring. I would think they would like some time in Columbus to be sure but a 2nd LH out of the pen does not look too farfetched to me. I expect to see him later this week or next to see how he compares. Jackson is an option but he looks like a starter to me. I am not sure his stuff and mentality translates to reliever but that is strictly a guess.

Chulk has a history of strong first half performances from what I understand. That may be all we need from him so I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss him as a possibility even though he isn't on the 40.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:53 pm

You're crazy!

sorry, you told me too, lol.

Very possible they put Salas back in AAA....but I'm not sure how much work he needs. He pitched a good amount in the majors in 2007 and was suppose to be up in 2008 (til the visa issues happened). Though a lil fine tuning couldn't hurt I suppose.

I know Sipp was shut down last year....but I thought he had some tendinitis or something earlier this spring too....but maybe not.

I actually think Jackson will make a good reliever. I think his leg kick will help give a bit of deception when hitters only see it once a game, just like it did with jensen Lewis. Brian Tallet had starter's stuff but couldn't keep it together for 6 innings. He's turned into a very underrated reliever in that Blue Jays pen. Obviously Jackson is not Brian Tallet....but I can see a similar switch for him. Brewers tried it last year with him for a bit too before the trade as well so Tribe isn't the first team to try JAckson in that role.

I actually like Chulk (and Herges) for the last spot too. The 40-man roster thing shouldn't be an issue as Westbrook on the 60-day will open a spot and if anyone but Mujica gets the last bullpen spot, there will be another open one from him.

Also......is there any chance the Tribe either keeps 8 relievers (7 and Mujica just to not lose him) out of camp or 5 bench guys? Lookign at the schedule, the need for a 5th starter doesn't happen til the middle of the 2nd week of the season (game 9).

I know the Tribe has gone with an extra bench bat before to start the year.....so just a thought.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby webba2000 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:40 pm

Second round of cuts:
This morning the Indians optioned out RHP John Meloan, RHP Adam Miller, RHP Hector Rondon, RHP Juan Salas, LHP Tony Sipp, CA Carlos Santana, and INF Luis Valbuena to AAA Columbus. They also re-assigned RHP Jack Cassel, LHP David Huff, CA Armando Camacaro, INF Jordan Brown, INF Wes Hodges, INF Jesus Merchan, INF Beau Mills, and OF Stephen Head to minor league camp. There are 44 players still in big league camp.

That leaves us with Zach Jackson, Mujica, Chulck and Herges for the 7th bullpen spot (assuming that Masa is in as the 6th).
Huff officially out (if he was even in) as the 5th starter.
webba2000
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:55 pm

Wait......they optioned Rondon to AAA Columbus? Are you sure that's right?

Very intersting moves though....I'd have thought Salas would have stuck around longer but guess not. Mujica may get this spot just cause of the options thing.......wouldn't be the first time the tribe has done it......

Yeah, I'm really pulling for Sowers to land that 5th rotation spot. He's been working his butt off and pitching well lately. Though if Laffey (or even Lewis I guess) wins it good for him.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:31 pm

No surprises really, although I thought Salas would be kept up longer for the 7th spot. Interesting they sent him out so soon (could be on his way out of the org when we add a guy or two from the NRIs).

Huff was never really in contention for the #5 spot. Always has been between Laffey/Sowers.

Looks like jackson or one of the retreads in the 7th spot.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:35 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Wait......they optioned Rondon to AAA Columbus? Are you sure that's right?

Yeah, the Indians made the correction.....Rondon and Santana optioned to Akron.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby webba2000 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:38 pm

Consigliere wrote:Huff was never really in contention for the #5 spot. Always has been between Laffey/Sowers.
I thought Salas would be kept up longer for the 7th spot. Interesting they sent him out so soon (could be on his way out of the org when we add a guy or two from the NRIs)

Why Scott Lewis gets so little love?
In ST, so far, he's been really good.

And Salas looked really good. He allowed one hit, two walks and one strikeout. The opposition hit .111 against him in 3 games. What does he have to do to stick with the organization? Furthermore we just traded for him and he has options left, it makes no sense to cut him in the next few weeks
webba2000
Draft Prospect

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:29 pm

webba2000 wrote:
Consigliere wrote:Huff was never really in contention for the #5 spot. Always has been between Laffey/Sowers.
I thought Salas would be kept up longer for the 7th spot. Interesting they sent him out so soon (could be on his way out of the org when we add a guy or two from the NRIs)

Why Scott Lewis gets so little love?
In ST, so far, he's been really good.

And Salas looked really good. He allowed one hit, two walks and one strikeout. The opposition hit .111 against him in 3 games. What does he have to do to stick with the organization? Furthermore we just traded for him and he has options left, it makes no sense to cut him in the next few weeks

I think our fearless blog leader might be a bit premature in ruling out Lewis from the 5th starter competition but he is far better informed than me.

It was always my opinion that Salas would go to Columbus to work on his fastball location and his breaking ball. Both areas need improvement. I certainly don't expect Cleveland to let him go. The seventh, and maybe the 6th as well, RP is likely to be changed throughout the season.

Mujica is an unlikely choice for 7th RP in my opinion. Right now I think that Jackson and Chulk have the inside track and would not be shocked to see both make the cut. Hermie noted that Westbrook will go on the 60 and Miller might be there as well. Mujica should be released and I would not be shocked to see either Delooch or Kobe join him.

Personally, I am a bit surprised that both Brantley and LaPorta made the cut even though Choo is still at WBC. Shapiro has been pretty adamant that both need Columbus time. If he was that concerned about WBC players, he would not have cut Hodges with DeRosa still there. Might mean more time for JP and J-barf at 3B. Noticed that Giminez is still in camp too. He doesn't seem likely to go north though.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:33 pm

I agree about Salas. don't see why he'd be on the way out since he's got an option left and there will be at least one if not two open 40-man roster spots should the Tribe decide to keep a NRI or two.

Scott Lewis has gotten some praise from Wedge this spring. But remember, Lewis only has 4 starts in AAA and 4 at the ML level. If he blew Laffey and Sowers away this spring I'm sure he'd get a look, but there's no sense in forcing him into that 5th spot just yet. He could really use a bit more time at AAA along with Huff.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:12 pm

My thinking on Salas is just that it is interesting how a guy with major league experience and success in the past in the bigs how they already optioned him out with almost three weeks left in camp. Yes, he has options left.....but if he is already being thrown out of the mix for the 7th bully spot either they are seriously working with him on something or they are not too impressed with him....which is why I mentioned he might be on his way out the org (a roster casualty if we need a spot for one of the NRIs after Westbrook's spot is used by someone else).

And Lewis is in the mix for the #5 spot....but this has always been between Laffey/Sowers. Laffey was the defacto #5 coming in, and as long as he stays healthy he will likely be the #5 starter when camp breaks. The only shot Lewis had was if two starters went down in camp, he would slot into the #5 spot. Like with Huff, they mentioned they want him to get a little more seasoning in Columbus and there is no rush to have him in Cleveland given the options we already have in Laffey, Sowers and Jackson for #5.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:47 pm

Consigliere wrote:My thinking on Salas is just that it is interesting how a guy with major league experience and success in the past in the bigs how they already optioned him out with almost three weeks left in camp. Yes, he has options left.....but if he is already being thrown out of the mix for the 7th bully spot either they are seriously working with him on something or they are not too impressed with him....which is why I mentioned he might be on his way out the org (a roster casualty if we need a spot for one of the NRIs after Westbrook's spot is used by someone else).

And Lewis is in the mix for the #5 spot....but this has always been between Laffey/Sowers. Laffey was the defacto #5 coming in, and as long as he stays healthy he will likely be the #5 starter when camp breaks. The only shot Lewis had was if two starters went down in camp, he would slot into the #5 spot. Like with Huff, they mentioned they want him to get a little more seasoning in Columbus and there is no rush to have him in Cleveland given the options we already have in Laffey, Sowers and Jackson for #5.

I was only saying I think it is premature to discount Lewis completely for the 5th spot. Yeah, Laffey/Sowers have the inside but Lewis has consistently looked the best of the "finesse" LHPs. There is still time and not a lot of separation between these guys.

I didn't see anything in ST that changed my mind about Salas. I would be surprised if he is released because he really needs some refinement better gotten in the minors and he has a fine arm. More than ever, I believe there will be many changes between the season opener and the end of May. Tribe history shows a tendency to stay conservative with the 25 at the beginning and make changes as they are needed/forced. Not sure we should expect anything different this year.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:36 am

Consigliere wrote:My thinking on Salas is just that it is interesting how a guy with major league experience and success in the past in the bigs how they already optioned him out with almost three weeks left in camp. Yes, he has options left.....but if he is already being thrown out of the mix for the 7th bully spot either they are seriously working with him on something or they are not too impressed with him....which is why I mentioned he might be on his way out the org (a roster casualty if we need a spot for one of the NRIs after Westbrook's spot is used by someone else).

So do you think 2 NRI guys will make the team? Because unless Mujica makes it as well, won't we have 2 open 40-man roster spots?

I'm actually thinking that Mujica could still 'win' this last bullpen spot. History is sure on his side.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Indians Prospect Talk