RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Smoke Signals 3/12: Indians Bullpen Preview & Jonathan Holt

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Smoke Signals 3/12: Indians Bullpen Preview & Jonathan Holt

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:59 pm

Paul and I host another edition of Smoke Signals tonight at 9:30-10:30pm EST. Last week we previewed the starting pitching, so this week we will take a look at the other half of the pitching equation by previewing the Indians bullpen. The bullpen was the biggest reason for the Indians downfall last season, and they have really gone out of their way the past 6-8 months to acquire arms to try and make sure that does not happen again.

If anyone has a question they would like answered on the show, please e-mail us at smokesignals@theclevelandfan.com or call us at 646-716-8012. Plus, any calls received tonight will win a free T-shirt. Here is the link to listen live or download the podcast and listen to later:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/TheClevela ... ke-Signals

Also, to go along with the theme of the show, right-handed minor league reliever Jonathan Holt will be on the show tonight to talk about life as a reliever and also some of the things going on in minor league camp. So, any questions you may want to ask him, feel free to ask as well.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: Smoke Signals 3/12: Indians Bullpen Preview & Jonathan Holt

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:12 am

Holt was very insightful last night into what these guys are doing in the early days of spring camp, and most especially on the adjustment process in season. As has been stated before, there are sometimes things that are going on behind the scenes besides the numbers and I thought his explanation of that was great. Things like before he goes out for an outing he is told to throw and work on throwing first pitch sliders, or doubling or tripling up on sliders, or throwing mostly changeups, or working on purpose balls inside on the first pitch to "move feet" so he can establish the outside part of the plate....stuff like that. Holt has unbelievable command, so it is hard for a guy like him to throw a purpose ball and it is something he is working on along with the changeup. Keep an eye on this guy going forward....not dominant, but smart and has great command/control of his fastball.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: Smoke Signals 3/12: Indians Bullpen Preview & Jonathan Holt

Postby MadThinker88 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:37 pm

The fact Holt has given up fewer walks than homeruns and that he is barely over the 1 homer allowed per 10 IP ratio is all I need to see.

I foresee this guy having a long successful run as a bullpen guy for some team.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Return to Indians Prospect Talk