Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Notable position changes

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Notable position changes

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:31 am

As I mentioned on the front page, it apears Abner Abreu has made the official move to the outfield as he is working out there in camp. I hinted that this may be coming last week when I announced Chisenhall's official move to 3B. Though, it looks like based on the early makeup of the groups Chisenhall may in fact open in Kinston. We'll see how that plays out.

Also Jason Smit has moved to the outfield, or at least is working out there (he may play infield some still).
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: Notable position changes

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:55 am

Consigliere wrote:As I mentioned on the front page, it apears Abner Abreu has made the official move to the outfield as he is working out there in camp. I hinted that this may be coming last week when I announced Chisenhall's official move to 3B. Though, it looks like based on the early makeup of the groups Chisenhall may in fact open in Kinston. We'll see how that plays out.

Also Jason Smit has moved to the outfield, or at least is working out there (he may play infield some still).

If this did happen would Tice still be there as a DH guy or would he go to Lake County then to start at 3B? Or too soon to tell still?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby toledobuck » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:32 am

Any chance that Abreu does not make the LC club now? They usually like to advance good Latin prospects aged 19 to LC but perhaps they need him to work on some things defensively before he makes a full season club... His bat definitely is ready for LC. We will find out soon enough.
Last edited by toledobuck on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
toledobuck
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:42 am

toledobuck wrote:Any chance that Abreu does not make the LC club now? They usually like to advance good prospects aged 19 to LC but perhaps they need him to work on some things defensively before he makes a full season club... His bat definitely is ready for LC. We will find out soon enough.

I don't see how he woulnd't make the LC club. Like you said, he needs work on playing the OF. Doesn't make much sense to have him sit around not playing and waiting for the MV season to start in June. There's extended spring training, but not the same thing.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:37 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
Consigliere wrote:As I mentioned on the front page, it apears Abner Abreu has made the official move to the outfield as he is working out there in camp. I hinted that this may be coming last week when I announced Chisenhall's official move to 3B. Though, it looks like based on the early makeup of the groups Chisenhall may in fact open in Kinston. We'll see how that plays out.

If this did happen would Tice still be there as a DH guy or would he go to Lake County then to start at 3B? Or too soon to tell still?

I think whichever one of Tice/Chisenhall is at 3B in Kinston the other will be at 3B in Lake County. We'll see.

Also, anything can happen, but I would be extremely shocked if Abreu is not on the Lake County roster. For the most part, Abreu dominated the GCL last year for his age. He definitely needs work on his plate discipline, but this is something I think can be worked on at Lake County this year.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Return to Indians Prospect Talk