RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Kelvin Diaz and Lonnie Chisenhall news

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Kelvin Diaz and Lonnie Chisenhall news

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:37 pm

Lonnie Chisenhall has been officially moved to third base.

Also, Kelvin Diaz is not in spring training and likely never will be here in the states. Unfortunate situation.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: Kelvin Diaz and Lonnie Chisenhall news

Postby webba2000 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:03 pm

Consigliere wrote:Kelvin Diaz

Does he exist?
webba2000
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:06 pm

webba2000 wrote:
Consigliere wrote:Kelvin Diaz

Does he exist?

Yes....but he will continue to live in Bigfoot lore in the Dominican Republic however. :cry:
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:19 pm

Consigliere wrote:Lonnie Chisenhall has been officially moved to third base.

Any reasoning given? Looked alright at SS last year, has something changed this spring already?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:19 pm

Still thinking Chis at LC rather than Kinston?
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:44 pm

The switch was inevitable, though I thought they would at least keep him at SS one more year. Guess they wanted to do the transition now (I didn't get into detail about the move).

He is a slam dunk to start the year at Lake County now with the position change.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:42 pm

Consigliere wrote:The switch was inevitable, though I thought they would at least keep him at SS one more year. Guess they wanted to do the transition now (I didn't get into detail about the move).

He is a slam dunk to start the year at Lake County now with the position change.

Really? I know Tice is older.....but is he really that much more ready for Kinston than Chisenhall?

And what's this mean for Abreu then? He not gonna be playing 3B at LC? DH? OF?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:37 pm

Per Atkins comments from last year, Chisenhall is going to make the traditional move through the minors which means playing in Lake County and Kinston without skipping Lake Co.

As for Abreu, good question. I know they were thinking of moving him to the outfield, and this may be a signal this may in fact happen this season.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:15 pm

Consigliere wrote:Per Atkins comments from last year, Chisenhall is going to make the traditional move through the minors which means playing in Lake County and Kinston without skipping Lake Co.

As for Abreu, good question. I know they were thinking of moving him to the outfield, and this may be a signal this may in fact happen this season.

hmm, alright....makes some sense I guess.

Yeah I remember hearing about the OF for him from a few places....

Just seems odd they're moving Chisenhall now, especially after dealing Isaias Velasquez for Salas recently.

I know you said your depth chart was a work in progress and that Lake County was hard to predict.....but in less than 2 weeks the entire double play combo at LC has been traded or moved then......

Does this make Walter Diaz the starting SS at LC? :s_scratchhead
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:16 pm

I think Ron Rivas is going to return to Lake County and be the starting SS.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:22 pm

Consigliere wrote:I think Ron Rivas is going to return to Lake County and be the starting SS.

ha, alright. That makes sense. Didn't really overwhelm there and is still young.

next question then.....who's gonna play 2B at LC? diaz? lol

We REALLY need to start drafting some actual middle infielders it seems...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby dnosco » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:52 pm

I really, REALLY wish they would have tried him at 2B and RF. I am thinking you can live with a little less power in RF if the guy is a great fielder with an accurate cannon for an arm. Obviously his numbers would play really well at 2B. I just see him, at his best, as a Sean Casey in his prime like third baseman offensively (Bill Mueller with a little more power).

I just think his power comes up way short at 3B, maybe not even to Casey Blake levels.

Regarding Diaz, really bad news. I think we should just trade him. Maybe the Angels will have enough money and international moxie to grease the skids to get him to the US. I know it is because he was born at home and not in a hospital but, c'mon. Let the guy play baseball for gosh sakes.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:01 pm

I agree, I also wanted to see Chisenhall at 2nd. However, we have a bigger need for a 3rd baseman now and they must've seen something that would make him a success at 3rd. Bill Mueller with more power and an above-average glove is looking pretty darn good right now.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:46 pm

Chisenhall long term does probably fit at 2B, but I think trying him out in the short term at 3B is the right move.

As for who plays 2B in Lake County, that is a good question. Could be a lot of competition for that spot among a host of utility guys like Walter Diaz, Rafael Vera, Jansy Infante, Lurvin Basabe, and Matt Willard. But, I think the odds on favorite to open in that spot may be Jason Smit, with a guy like Basabe now maybe slotting in as the utility guy there (he is virtually a Velasquez clone).
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:00 pm

Another thing to consider, while Abreu played the entire season last year in the GCL at 3B, he actually split time evenly between 2B, SS, and 3B in the DSL in 2007. So, there is always the possibility they have Abreu at SS and/or 2B in Lake County this year. He is certainly athletic enough to handle those positions.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:22 pm

If Abreu can handle SS, then keep playing there. Unfortunately I fear his defense (or lack there of) will do harm to the pitchers then his offense will help.

I would be intrigued by Lonnie & Abner splitting time at SS/3B during this upcoming season.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:39 am

MadThinker88 wrote:If Abreu can handle SS, then keep playing there. Unfortunately I fear his defense (or lack there of) will do harm to the pitchers then his offense will help.

I would be intrigued by Lonnie & Abner splitting time at SS/3B during this upcoming season.

Lonnie won't be playing any SS this season, at least that was what was relayed to me. He will primarily play 3B with the idea to develop him as one.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:01 am

dnosco wrote:I really, REALLY wish they would have tried him at 2B and RF. I am thinking you can live with a little less power in RF if the guy is a great fielder with an accurate cannon for an arm. Obviously his numbers would play really well at 2B. I just see him, at his best, as a Sean Casey in his prime like third baseman offensively (Bill Mueller with a little more power).

I just think his power comes up way short at 3B, maybe not even to Casey Blake levels.

Regarding Diaz, really bad news. I think we should just trade him. Maybe the Angels will have enough money and international moxie to grease the skids to get him to the US. I know it is because he was born at home and not in a hospital but, c'mon. Let the guy play baseball for gosh sakes.

I think Chisenhall profiles fine at 3B....at least as well as RF. Yeah, he's got some speed, which you could claim is wasted a bit at 3B, but not really.

I do agree he appears better suited for 2B in the long run.....

And with the lack of a real option at 2B in LC, seems like 2B would work.....unless they don't want him competing with Phelps at Kinston I guess.....but then you've got Tice at 3B there, so who knows.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:02 am

Consigliere wrote:Another thing to consider, while Abreu played the entire season last year in the GCL at 3B, he actually split time evenly between 2B, SS, and 3B in the DSL in 2007. So, there is always the possibility they have Abreu at SS and/or 2B in Lake County this year. He is certainly athletic enough to handle those positions.

hmm.....I haven't seen him play....but if he was having enough problems at 3B to warrant consideration for the OF......how well could he really handle SS? I could 'possibly' see 2B....but even that sounds like a bit of a stretch from what I've read (though again, maybe seeing him would change my opinion).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:03 am

Consigliere wrote:Lonnie won't be playing any SS this season, at least that was what was relayed to me. He will primarily play 3B with the idea to develop him as one.

ha, not trying to be 'too' much of an a-hole here....but....

you say he won't be playing 'any' SS this year.....but say he'll 'primarily' play 3B.....

Does that mean he'll play elsewhere or where you referring to DH there?

Just curious, not trying to be a jerk just twisting your words.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby dnosco » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:10 pm

The problem, I think, with guys going to the IF corners is that they tend to bulk up a little. Obviously this is more true at 1B than 3B as I don't think Thome or Pujols could ever switch back after they had been at 1B for awhile.

I don't see Chisenhall as having enough power to play 3B. Hey, glove-wise, maybe. But his ceiling at 3B is Casey Blake. I mean REALLY Casey Blake. I think if you put him at 2B now he works out the rough parts of his game. If you put him at 3B I think you risk him lifting and eating his way out of being a secondbaseman.

To me, it is the wrong order. You put him at 2B and see if he can handle it. Then you try RF and then 3B if he can't handle the other two...and this is all based on how his athleticism and bat profile. Looking down the minors I don't see where 2B, 3B or RF are any less stocked so you put the player where his offense plays best and that is 2B and then RF.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:49 pm

dnosco wrote:The problem, I think, with guys going to the IF corners is that they tend to bulk up a little. Obviously this is more true at 1B than 3B as I don't think Thome or Pujols could ever switch back after they had been at 1B for awhile.

I don't see Chisenhall as having enough power to play 3B. Hey, glove-wise, maybe. But his ceiling at 3B is Casey Blake. I mean REALLY Casey Blake. I think if you put him at 2B now he works out the rough parts of his game. If you put him at 3B I think you risk him lifting and eating his way out of being a secondbaseman.

To me, it is the wrong order. You put him at 2B and see if he can handle it. Then you try RF and then 3B if he can't handle the other two...and this is all based on how his athleticism and bat profile. Looking down the minors I don't see where 2B, 3B or RF are any less stocked so you put the player where his offense plays best and that is 2B and then RF.

I disagree strongly here. Lonnie is a MUCH better contact hitter than Blake ever was at any time in his career. Lonnie ceiling is much higher. Though I will admit there are some similarities and he could have a career like Blake.

Interesting that you brought up Blake. A guy that never bulk up too much to move around and play different positions despite being a 3B......

Baerga was another guy that started in the middle infield then moved to 3B (played more 3B his rookie and sophomore seasons in Cleveland than anywhere else) then moved back without bulking up.

I don't think it's the position as much as the type of hitter/age of the player. Chisenhall is young and athletic. He's got speed too (not blazing, but good speed). These qualities are likely what lead the Tribe to draft him. He could concievablly play anywhere on the diamond if needed.

3B shouldn't be a concern for 'bulking up' really. Thome was a SS that moved to 3B after his first year and he didn't really get that big til he was moved to 1B.....or after Belle introduced him to steroids, lol, just kidding.....kinda.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Indians Prospect Talk