RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Ross Atkins questions

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Ross Atkins questions

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:14 am

Hey guys, I am talking to Ross Atkins tomorrow morning for 10-15 mins for a story I am writing talking about last season's midsummer trades and how the new talent is integrated into the system when trades like that go down. If anyone had a question pertaining to the subject, please let me know and I will ask. Trying to make sure I cover all angles.

I'm trying to see what the Farm Director's involvement is when new players are added midseason and what steps are in place to get the new players acquainted with a new team, staff, players, etc. Also what he and others may do to get to know the players and how they initially work with them. Also any involvement he may have with the actual process of acquiring the player or shipping one out.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: Ross Atkins questions

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:52 am

I would really be interested to know if Atkins thinks Valbuena can handle the left side of the IF if necessary.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby webba2000 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:18 am

Lately we did sign few players out of Taiwan, Australia ed Europe.
Would be nice to ask him about the Indians commitment to the international/non-Latin market.
webba2000
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:58 am

indianinkslinger wrote:I would really be interested to know if Atkins thinks Valbuena can handle the left side of the IF if necessary.

If you watched the ST game the other day on STO you'd say yes to that.

Made a fantastic diving stop, got up and threw out a runner (though on a replay he appeared safe), but the throw was still strong from SS.

Obviously not enough to say he can handle it....but it sure looked nice. Forget who was in the booth with Rick and Matt (don't believe it was Shapiro), but whomever it was, they were impressed and said they liked his ability to play more than just 2B......
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby dnosco » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:36 pm

Tony,

Three questions:

(1) How much and from what sources does the farm director know about these new guys from the time they hit the organization and does that go into their initial evaluation on how to integrate guy or is it simply a 'plug and play and we'll sort it out later' type of thing

(2) Per your last point, does the farm director get to be involved in selecting PTBNL and, if so, what is his thought process (best available player or best fit with organizational needs or some combination or something else)?

(3) Not related to this discussion but related to previous discussions you and I have had: why don't they try to make more guys into catchers and why don't they try to teach more pitchers the knuckleball?

May not get to address the 3rd one but it is, as you know, a question that I want to ask.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:59 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:I would really be interested to know if Atkins thinks Valbuena can handle the left side of the IF if necessary.

If you watched the ST game the other day on STO you'd say yes to that.

Made a fantastic diving stop, got up and threw out a runner (though on a replay he appeared safe), but the throw was still strong from SS.

Obviously not enough to say he can handle it....but it sure looked nice. Forget who was in the booth with Rick and Matt (don't believe it was Shapiro), but whomever it was, they were impressed and said they liked his ability to play more than just 2B......

Just interested in what the expert thinks. I formed my opinion when I saw him last year. Don't remember if it was this blog but I read somewhere that he was a 55 arm. I would have thought it a bit better than that and think I might have remarked. Not sure the arm is the only issue and he is one of the players i am looking forward to seeing more of in 3 weeks.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:35 pm

Thanks for some of the suggestions guys, I just talked to Ross about 15-20 minutes and should have some interesting stuff to report on regarding his involvement in a trade and how they immediately integrate these guys into the system.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:13 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:Just interested in what the expert thinks. I formed my opinion when I saw him last year. Don't remember if it was this blog but I read somewhere that he was a 55 arm. I would have thought it a bit better than that and think I might have remarked. Not sure the arm is the only issue and he is one of the players i am looking forward to seeing more of in 3 weeks.

Was only one throw, but his arm looks way better than just a 55 (though I remember reading te same thing you were talking about). I believe the arm was pretty much the only issue with him being a SS, as his range improved a lot in Seattle. It's not great, but no worse than many AL shortstops these days.

Again, I still expect him to play a decent amount of games at SS in AAA. He'll start mostly at 2B, but I can see a Peralta or Phillips scenario where he plays both to keep versatile.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Indians Prospect Talk