Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

BA top 100 chat excerpts

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

BA top 100 chat excerpts

Postby jellis » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:14 pm

LaPorta is No. 27; I think that's pretty high, not low at all. He's right in the same group with a bunch of other offense-first players like Lars Anderson and Logan Morrison and Justin Smoak; you could argue him at the front of that list, and I'd listen to that argument, but he fell in just behind them.

Steve from Chicago asks:
Did David Huff get any consideration for the 90-100 range? Seems like he's a much safer bet to become a successful ML SP over some of the pitchers in that range. I take it his ceiling was just too much lower to justify ranking him ahead of a guy like Aumont or Jeffress?
A:

Jim Callis: Of the six BA staffers who put together top 150 lists as the starting point for our Top 100 list, four included Huff, but none had him in the Top 100. I think I was the high man on Huff at No. 111. I think you summed up why pretty well. Huff's ceiling pales in comparison to those of the pitchers who made it, but he can be a No. 3 starter and is a relatively safer bet to realize his potential. One thing to keep in mind is that there's not a huge difference in value between prospect No. 75 and prospect No. 125, though there will be a wide range of opinions on that value, if that makes any sense.

Q: Adam from NYC asks:
I was very pleased to see Nick Weglarz get some love with his mid-list #58 ranking. How does he project against the rest of the OF crop above him (Heyward, Rasmus, Snider, etc.)? Is he poised to make a jump to the top 25 next season, should he continue his development as a hitter?
A:

John Manuel: I was surprised Weglarz wound up that high, but he could turn into a Travis Snider type; there are a lot of similarities there, physical, strong, disciplined LH hitters, and Weglarz hasn't quite shown that power but he's shown better plate discipline and more contact ability. He could jump up into the Top 25 with more development for sure.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Return to Indians Prospect Talk