RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

BA on Valbuena/Cabrera

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

BA on Valbuena/Cabrera

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:53 pm

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=2320

I hope this link works for everyone. It is an interesting article on the comparison between the two MIs. The article notes that Valbuena has a 55 arm which would make the left side of the IF difficult to play with any regularity. I thought it was a bit better than that but we are talking Jamey Carroll arm rather than Cabrera arm. I have a tough time figuring out how we got so much talent out of the Mariners for so little. Other than Gutz, there really was nothing given for Choo, Cabrera and Valbuena. Maybe King Felix for Marte! :s_rofl
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Re: BA on Valbuena/Cabrera

Postby npc29 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:30 pm

Well we don't know how good Valbuena will be yet, so this comment isn't really valid until we find out more..

But I find it interesting that it's been two GMs they've potentially taken advantage of, instead of just spanning all these trades over one guy. Hopefully Seattle learned from their mistake with Bavasi, who was a good guy in terms of assembling young talent, but did a pretty awful job when it came to trading it away (Shapiro wasn't the only one that took advantage of him).

At least Jack Zduriencik didn't acquire a first base platoon...
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:00 pm

Yeah, Valbuena will never start on the left side of the infield....but he can fill in there if needed for a day or two at a time (utility infield duties if needed).

I'm still not sold on Cabrera being an everyday middle infielder....but he does play great defense so if we can get enough offense from the other spots he should be fine there.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:44 am

As the game is 'reverting' to an earlier version where Defense is more of a priority, I can see ACab being a full time middle infielder. Especially if the partner up the middle is more bat than glove (like Peralta now).
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:37 am

John McDonald played better defense than Cabrera.....but still never got a starting job. He still does play better defense and won't see much starting time in Toronto likely. Cabrera still needs to hit to start.....he did it at the ends of 2007 and 2008.....so hopefully he can put that together for a full season this year.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Indians Prospect Talk