Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Who's going to see the Lake Erie Crushers?

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Who's going to see the Lake Erie Crushers?

Postby GhostofTedCox » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:32 pm

I'm not sure what forum this belongs in, but I'll try here.
There's more minor league baseball in NE Ohio this season. The Lake Erie Crushers open up Frontier League play May 22nd. They're home games will be an a brand new ballpark in Avon. Their roster includes P Paul Fagan (Mariners 4th round 2003), and P Bret Lysander (A's 16th round 2007).
Who's familiar with the Frontier League? I know it's an independent league. But is the play like low A, or rookie ball?
I'm sure I'll check it out this summer.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: Who's going to see the Lake Erie Crushers?

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:45 am

Maybe if I want to take in a game in person and all of Akron, Lake County and Columbus are out on the road.

In making a choice between this team and a local Tribe affiliate, I'm going to pick the affiliate 10 times out of 10.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:33 am

Yeah, I have zero interest in this.....especially with four Indians affiliates in state and within reasonable driving distance. Curious to see how this team draws because of that.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby osueddy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:45 am

I used to watch the Canton Crocodiles (and Canton Coyotes for one year) at Thurman Munson Stadium after the AA team moved to Akron. We went when I was in college just to watch baseball for a very cheap price. There were so few people at games (500-1000) that the players and umpires could actually here every word you said, which made it fun. Those independent teams always had a ton of promotions to try and get fans out to the ballpark, especially to Thurman Munson which isn't an amazing facility.

I'd say that the players are around A, A+ ball. The Crocodiles picked up some local players which made it more interesting for us. Shawn Alazaus from my high school pitched there after being released from the Yankees organization. Heck, Joe Charboneau even played in a game (he was an assistant coach). The Canton team eventually moved to Washington PA and play in a very nice park. Some of the players made it to the majors from the Frontier League which was nice for the league. The main ones I remember were Brian Tollberg and Morgan Burkhart.

I can't imagine a team in Avon doing very well with it being so close to many others. The team in Chillicothe OH has managed to survive since the beginning since there really isn't much near them.
osueddy
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:48 am

I think I'll hit up a game sometime. As mentioned, Canton had a team for a while. Actually knew a guy that played on it.

Not a minor league system, but it's a lot of A ball guys that got cut from ML systems and such. There's usually an age limit on how old guys can be in the league. It's also a spring board for guys that went to smaller colleges and didn't get drafted.

Hopefully there will be some local kids playing in this to try and draw some fans. I bet they do decent, at least for an independent league.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Indians Prospect Talk