Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

BA on Mil

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

BA on Mil

Postby jellis » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:05 pm

Today was the MIL chat so a lot of laporta brantly talk. I dont want to copy and paste stuff so i will try and summarize some points.

A lot of the chat was how high there where on Escobar who the writer called one fo the top in the game, but when asked where laporta would rank he said he might have still been 1. Top 3 would have been escobar, laporta, gamel. Reading between the lines I think Brantly might have made top 5 maybe 6, taylor Green was 8th on the list. Also said brantley would have been in the top ten for sure. Here's a quote on brantly; he's an extremely talented player who should see action in the majors as soon as this season.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Re: BA on Mil

Postby dnosco » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:23 pm

Probably correct although, looking at the list it could have been Brantley as #7 or 9, depending on how the writer liked Green (I favored getting Green for his potential infield versatility and his power/walk combination which would have played well at 2B).

In any case, definitely a top 10 prospect in that system which is heavier with top guys than it is deep, IMO.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:43 pm

I agree on Green's power/walk combo being nice.....though Brantley has walked more frequently in his minor league career.

Big concern I had with Green was his 2B defense. Played there his first year with the brewers but then was moved to 3B for the next 2. His bat plays much better at 2B than 3B, so was it lack of range or what prompted the move. Looking at who was at 2B in their system it doesn't appear like there's much blocking him there as opposed to 3B....unless Gamel doesn't stick there, which is a very likely scenario.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby dnosco » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:53 am

I think there was another prospect at second base which pushed them to move Green to 3rd, or at least that is what someone dug up at the time.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:43 am

hmm, it's possible. but looking at the rosters I don't see anyone that really jumps out at you at 2B....unless they plan on using Escobar at 2B soon.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Indians Prospect Talk