RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Terry Pluto joins Smoke Signals tonight (Jan 15th)!

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Terry Pluto joins Smoke Signals tonight (Jan 15th)!

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:08 pm

Paul and I are pleased to announce that legendary Cleveland sports writer Terry Pluto will be joining our show tonight, Thursday January 15th from 9:30-10:30pm:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/TheClevela ... ke-Signals

Paul and I will talk about the recent Pavano signing, and Pluto is scheduled to call in sometime between 9:30-9:45 and be on for a bit to talk Tribe. On caveat is he will be calling in on the way home from a guest speaking appearance, so hopefully the weather holds out. I can't imagine him calling in this week if it is nasty out there.

Nonetheless, we are excited to have one of our heroes on the air to talk Tribe. And he actually was the one that mentioned to us that he wanted to come on. If anyone has something they may want us to ask Pluto, let us know and we'll try and fit it in.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: Terry Pluto joins Smoke Signals tonight (Jan 15th)!

Postby GhostofTedCox » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:54 pm

Great news. I'm a big fan of Terry's.
One question I would have for Terry is if he thinks this would still be BrownsTown if the Indians won it all in 95 or 97.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:04 am

GhostofTedCox wrote:Great news. I'm a big fan of Terry's.
One question I would have for Terry is if he thinks this would still be BrownsTown if the Indians won it all in 95 or 97.

Yes it would. Just like even when the Pistsons won the NBA title, Detroit was still Hockeytown first.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:15 pm

But the RedWings didn't leave town. With a Browns departure and a Tribe world title, 1st team ID just might have changed more dramatically then it did.

People that were kids with awareness during the mid to late 90s are more likely to be Tribe fans then Browns fans at this point.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:23 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:But the RedWings didn't leave town. With a Browns departure and a Tribe world title, 1st team ID just might have changed more dramatically then it did.

People that were kids with awareness during the mid to late 90s are more likely to be Tribe fans then Browns fans at this point.

sorry but thats false most of my friends are browns fans first and we where on the cusp of middle school when the move was made, the gap is there but the love of the browns was enough mixed with he Indians recent lack of results. Plus baseball has the issue where a lot of my friends where put off by all of the faces of the Indians continually leaving
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:35 pm

Guess the kids I see are a different group then you see. Many of them have experienced the Tribe as winners or with a greater percentage of success then with the Browns. I also see those same kids wearing Tribe gear and football gear of a team other than the Browns.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:00 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Guess the kids I see are a different group then you see. Many of them have experienced the Tribe as winners or with a greater percentage of success then with the Browns. I also see those same kids wearing Tribe gear and football gear of a team other than the Browns.

my group being a bit older might have been on the cusp os its hard to say, each one of us remember the exact place we where when the news broke. I was sitting there Saturday morning watching an iron man cartoon. I doubt I will ever forget it We were all 11 or 12 so there was enough background memory of the browns
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:43 am

The Indians still made the World Series twice....the Browns since 1990 have only made the playoffs twice.....

Now I'm more of an Indians fan (though diehard for both)......but this is still a Browns/football town. NE Ohio as a whole is a football area with Ignatious and the Canton schools like Massalion. No matter how many Championships the Indians win, nothing can change that.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:12 pm

Hermie13 wrote:The Indians still made the World Series twice....the Browns since 1990 have only made the playoffs twice.....

Now I'm more of an Indians fan (though diehard for both)......but this is still a Browns/football town. NE Ohio as a whole is a football area with Ignatious and the Canton schools like Massalion. No matter how many Championships the Indians win, nothing can change that.

I dont know nobody has won anything if my life time, if a team does win I think it would be a huge boost for future generations
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

jellis wrote:I dont know nobody has won anything if my life time, if a team does win I think it would be a huge boost for future generations

Not true....

the Cleveland Crunch won a soccer title :s_yahoo

lol
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:19 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
jellis wrote:I dont know nobody has won anything if my life time, if a team does win I think it would be a huge boost for future generations

Not true....

the Cleveland Crunch won a soccer title :s_yahoo

lol

valid, I do remember that
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Duane Kuiper » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:24 pm

Terry was down on Hodges. Big fan of Indians keeping Shoppach.
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:49 am

All this anti-Hodges talk by the way is crazy. Guy will be just fine.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:08 am

Consigliere wrote:All this anti-Hodges talk by the way is crazy. Guy will be just fine.

baseball like everything is a what have done for me lately game, his second half decline and defense are the worts which are all people can see right now. It is pretty amazing how far it feels like he has fallen since july
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby dnosco » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:09 pm

Terry Pluto today gives Tony more props.

"8. If you are interested in the Tribe farm system, you should pick up a book called "2009 Cleveland Indians Top 100 Prospects" by Tony Lastoria. He writes the superb blog indiansprospectinsider.com, where you can find information on how to get the book and other good stuff. The best endorsement is that I bought two copies. "

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/ind ... s_saf.html

There is a lovefest going on here. Tony, does your wife know? :-)
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:41 pm

It is very humbling when one of your idols growing up is recognizing your work. The fact he bought two copies was enough, but the constant props in his Sunday notes articles floors me every time. Coming from a man who I put up on the Mt. Rushmore of Cleveland media types in the last 30-40 years, it is special!
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:44 pm

Just picked up the March issue of IndiansInk (the one where they rank the top 100 prospects).
EMBARASSING when compared to the work Tony submitted for us.

While I like getting the differing opinion, I have to wonder if it's even worth $5.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:51 pm

Consigliere wrote:It is very humbling when one of your idols growing up is recognizing your work. The fact he bought two copies was enough, but the constant props in his Sunday notes articles floors me every time. Coming from a man who I put up on the Mt. Rushmore of Cleveland media types in the last 30-40 years, it is special!

Terry recognizes great work.
For years many of us have noted Terry's and we are starting to see the similarities in yours.

Keep up the great work. :s_thumbsup
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GhostofTedCox » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:50 pm

Consigliere wrote:It is very humbling when one of your idols growing up is recognizing your work. The fact he bought two copies was enough, but the constant props in his Sunday notes articles floors me every time. Coming from a man who I put up on the Mt. Rushmore of Cleveland media types in the last 30-40 years, it is special!

The props are well deserved, Tony. I've never seen a more complete examination of anybody's minor league system. I plan on my book being very worn out by the end of the season.
By the way, you better fire up the printing press again. That type of advertising can't be bought.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:20 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote: I plan on my book being very worn out by the end of the season.

That's why I bought 4 copies. Gifts for some friends and 2 copies for myself. Both will be well worn by the end of 2009.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Return to Indians Prospect Talk