RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Jake Sisco and Dillon Howard

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Jake Sisco and Dillon Howard

Postby Dave9819 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:32 pm

I just read that Sisco and Howard retired. I thought Sisco was having a decent career, kind of surprising that he called it quits.
Dave9819
Undrafted Free Agent

Re: Jake Sisco and Dillon Howard

Postby Tondo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:27 am

Not sure where to post this, but I was skimming the 2011 draft thread and I was against signing Lindor (oops) and use the money for 2 of D.Peters, Sparks or Tarpley and take the 9th pick in the 2012 draft, which would have come down to Heaney, Cecchini or A.Russell

Would you now trade Lindor for Peters/Sparks/Heaney? or Tarpley/Sparks/A.Russell? I think I would :eek
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby OhioBaseball » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:32 am

Dave9819 wrote:I just read that Sisco and Howard retired. I thought Sisco was having a decent career, kind of surprising that he called it quits.

Honestly, I don't know how Brad Grant keeps his job. This is clearly a fireable offense coupled with other high dollar value releases of recent months and a poor drafting track record.

There are obviously circumstances here that I am not aware of, but this is embarrassing for the organization. You've gotta do your homework on these guys before you cut $1.85 million checks. I've never met Dillon Howard nor do I know anything about his life, but he was suspended for banned substances very early into his career -- there had to be warning signs (mind you, this is a guy that fell to the Indians in the 2nd round b/c other teams passed on him). There had to be some warning signs. If you're a pro scout, you can't just watch guys play in games and showcases -- you have to speak with coaches, parents, players to understand their character.

This is big business and you've got to do your homework on your investments. I recognize that a big payday could have changed Howard, but if you understand a person's character you can get an idea of how the money will change him but that is no excuse. If you can't reasonably predict how $$ will change teenagers, you shouldn't be in the business of handing over million dollar checks to teenagers; it's a fundamental part of your job description. I don't know why you would cut Grant any slack for this -- it's not like he's done so many other great things that you can turn your head on Howard/Sisco. Grant needs to be fired and this organization needs to get some new scouting blood, and that goes for player development people (a previous post of mine), too. This is not acceptable. There's no doubt in my mind Grant needs to be fired.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:08 pm

Tondo wrote:Not sure where to post this, but I was skimming the 2011 draft thread and I was against signing Lindor (oops) and use the money for 2 of D.Peters, Sparks or Tarpley and take the 9th pick in the 2012 draft, which would have come down to Heaney, Cecchini or A.Russell

Would you now trade Lindor for Peters/Sparks/Heaney? or Tarpley/Sparks/A.Russell? I think I would :eek

Don't see how you can assume that the 9th pick would have come down to those 3 though. That's hindsight, plus for the Tribe the 9th pick would have been unprotected in the sense that if they failed to sign the player drafted there, they lose it. Probably go with a safer pick there especially with the new rules in place that year (they went safe with Naquin).

In any case...I'd take Lindor over any spec in baseball right now. Including Buxton, Sano, Bradley, and Walker. Realize I'm maybe too high on him...still can't believe people still seem to think it was a bad move to sign him and we'd have been better off letting him go and taking the comp pick the following year... :eek
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:32 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
Tondo wrote:Not sure where to post this, but I was skimming the 2011 draft thread and I was against signing Lindor (oops) and use the money for 2 of D.Peters, Sparks or Tarpley and take the 9th pick in the 2012 draft, which would have come down to Heaney, Cecchini or A.Russell

Don't see how you can assume that the 9th pick would have come down to those 3 though. That's hindsight, plus for the Tribe the 9th pick would have been unprotected in the sense that if they failed to sign the player drafted there, they lose it. Probably go with a safer pick there especially with the new rules in place that year (they went safe with Naquin).

In any case...I'd take Lindor over any spec in baseball right now. Including Buxton, Sano, Bradley, and Walker. Realize I'm maybe too high on him...still can't believe people still seem to think it was a bad move to sign him and we'd have been better off letting him go and taking the comp pick the following year... :eek

I'm very high on Lindor, but I'd take Buxton and Sano over Lindor any day. Bradley and Walker... eh, I'll take Lindor over them.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:24 am

A.Zajac wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

I'm very high on Lindor, but I'd take Buxton and Sano over Lindor any day. Bradley and Walker... eh, I'll take Lindor over them.

Buxton does give me some reservations when saying Lindor is the best prospect...but I'll stand by Lindor over Sano. Love Sano's off the charts power but still not sold on him at 3B and the strikeouts still could be an issue (not to mention the injury). Lindor's defense is IMO just as off the charts as Sano's power.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby go_tribe » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:51 pm

Lindor is great, but Buxton hands down is the best prospect in baseball. He's the next Mike Trout. Lindor isn't a flashy guy, but he has the leadership and maturity to become our version of Jeter. Ill take that over almost any other prospect not named Buxton.
go_tribe
Undrafted Free Agent

Return to Indians Prospect Talk