RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2014 MLB Draft

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2014 MLB Draft

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:36 am

From Homer's FG Story from Dave Laurila
...“Zimmer is comparable to a young Shawn Green,” said the scout. “He’s an athlete with an above-average tool set. I see a chance for a plus bat. He has size and strength, so the power should come. He has the potential to develop into an above-average everyday centerfielder.

“Sheffield has a chance to be similar to Gio Gonzalez. Good athlete with a solid three-pitch mix and strike-throwing ability. Fastball is up to 94 with life, and good feel for a slider and a change. Ability to consistently leverage the ball in bottom of zone. Could be a solid starter.”

A lot of fans don't remember Shawn Green.. He was one helluva player.. He came up with the Blue Jays in the mid 90's. He had it all.. could run.. hit.. hit with power.. throw.. and catch the ball with the best in the business but was used primarily in RF to fully exploit the bazooka he had for an arm. It didn't hurt the Jays to have Devon White and Otis Nixon as their starting CF'ers during the formative years for Shawn Green career. By the time those guys moved on, Shawn had become entrenched as the Jays' starting RF'er.. When Green moved to the Dodgers.. his power numbers exploded.. During his stay in LA, the Dodgers ran out an interesting group of CF'ers including two ex-Indians (Marquis Grissom, Dave Roberts and The Game Boy, Milton Bradley). Shawn Green was a rangy fast athlete first kind of player. As a comp, the Indians could do MUCH worse if, at the end of Zimmer's career, he posts similar numbers...

Gio Gonzalez as a comp the Justus Sheffield.. The first reaction to this was.. WOW!!. Gio is a strike throwing machine who doesn't rely on over powering the batters.. he has the giddy up on his FB necessary to keep hitters honest.. but, what makes him so effective is his ability to throw any one of his pitches damn near anywhere he wants.. If "Buford T" Justus Sheffield approaches that level of command and control.. whoa..what a great pick..

We'll see.. thanks for posting the article...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:31 pm

That's a lot of love for the Tribe draft. Love the Zimmer comp hope he turns out Green. Then the Sheffield comp, what's not to like? Gio Gonzalez, tells me Sheffield could be a stud...I have my doubts, but still - Sheffield was a solid pickup.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:19 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Here's an article re: the draft from Fangraphs...

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/sunday-n ... ian-weeks/

Jesse Winker is one of my guys from the Clermont area (Windermere). Glad to see that he's doing well so far.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:04 pm

The Indians have signed Mike Papi for $1.25M and $30K scholarship money per mlbtraderumors.com.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:37 pm

Per Jim Callis, the Tribe has signed KY HS P Micah Miniard for $350K.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby martyinnewyork » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:39 pm

All of our top picks are now signed. Next, we need them all to develop into superstars that have 20 year careers with the Tribe!

I can dream, can't I ?
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:35 am

The Tribe has signed Juan Gomes - C, yes Yan Gomes brother for a contract for 2015.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:18 pm

The Tribe signed Gian Paul Gonzalez - C 18 yo from PR. Now at 30 signings with potential for MAYBE 1-2 more by the end of the week.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:38 pm

Nice, didn't see this coming. I thought they were done with this class, as 29 were already a lot of new players.

1-2 more? Who's still in play? If they can get one of G.Jones, Hynes or West signed, that would put the cherry on top of this draft for me. If my math is right, they can offer up to 350-400k to any prospect left without a draft pick penalty, though I don't know if any player post 10th round got more than 100k already (Eubank maybe?). That should be a good enough offer for any of them.
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:32 pm

The Tribe got Eubank for "only" $80K, great pickup. They did an excellent job knowing the players prices and fitting them into their budget. I think they could potentially offer $300K in addition to the $100K allotment for players selected after the tenth rd. Morton, Cody Jones, Hynes could all still be in play, there is a chance the Tribe will make some aggressive offers on West, and G.Jones before the weeks end. That said, they might be done, with one of larger draft classes I've seen the Tribe land.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:13 pm

Bleacher Reports thoughts...it's worth a look.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2136 ... teamstream
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby BuddyLee » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:33 pm

Having those extra high draft picks sure helps. I believe we will qualify for another high competitive balance pick again next year. Very excited for Papi and he should fly through system. Would have liked to see a few more potential front of the rotation power arms, but Indians seem to value other pitchability factors more. Overall not much to complain about with the haul this year.
BuddyLee
Undrafted Free Agent

Previous

Return to Indians Prospect Talk