RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2014 MLB Draft

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2014 MLB Draft

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:07 pm

A lot of talent out there, thought about putting Finfrock, Shannon and Haseley on my list too. Shannon would get to play minor league ball in the local area w/ the exception of AZ and Carolina.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:15 pm

Yeah, still lots of specs that could impact. Most players who will be selected the next 5 rounds or so will be as good, if not better than the 8-10 rounders.

Here's my Ivy league special:

6'1 SR LHP David Speer, Columbia

Another SR LHP Joey DeNato, Indiana...strong season, but he's small at 5'10
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:07 pm

Luke Eubank in the house! Are they reading my posts?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:17 pm

Bobby Ison had 91 hits in 230 AB with 17 walks & SIX Ks. Line: .396/.437/.509 Not bad.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:23 pm

Bobby Ison had 17 K's over the past 2 seasons, 459 AB's...I have a new favorite player.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:43 pm

Did the guy who scouted Jodd Carter get to go to Hilo to do it?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:12 pm

Rocky55 wrote:Did the guy who scouted Jodd Carter get to go to Hilo to do it?

Looks like he made it 2 for 1 along with Kalnoa Harrison
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:19 pm

daingean wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFN_tBT-xZE
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:05 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
daingean wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFN_tBT-xZE

Of course he was there to watch Kodi Medeiros too. :biggrin
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:07 pm

Meh, it was a solid 3rd day effort, especially if they can sign at least one of G.Jones or Eubank, but Antonetti and his crew went too JC and doubtful upside happy for me with signability issues to boot.

The one big complain I have with this draft is that they completely neglected one of the strengths of it, which was College pitching. Instead they drafted some questionable JC and low Division specs with mostly questionable production on top of it. Probably unearthing Wendle got to their head. Another criticism would be that they went for bat need more than going with the overall strength, pitching.

Very happy they got Eubank and my Ivy-leaguer SR spec David Speer. Not only did he dominate Ivy, he also had pretty good numbers in the Cape and he's young for a SR, still 21yo (born August 1992).

My hindsight 11-18th round would have looked like this probably

11 AJ Vanegas (SR), but Robinson was a solid pick too
12 LHP J.Beeks
13 RHP F.Duncan (SR)
14 OF Pickens or RHP B.Moss. G.Jones was a good gamble, but too raw for me
15 agree RHP Eubank, love the selection
16 RHRP D.Berg or LHRP M.Gunn or 3B Brizuela or 3B Tomscha (SR). Berg or Gunn are much more proven BP arms than this Feyerabend kid
17 RHP A.Robichaux
18 RHP P.French

Some missed opportunities with College pitching in my opinion. Sure, the JC guys are younger, but they're also not as good as those College specs yet and the upside is questionable too. So basically the Indians hope for one or two of them to make a huge jump, but chances are a lot of them won't ever become as good as those College specs already are.

Overall, I like this class...how much will depend on who they are able to sign. R.Ryan, KJ Harrison and West are the best day 3 talents but will be next to impossible to sign. I hope that two of Robinson, Eubank, G.Jones will sign, in that order. I expect 17-20 of the first 22 (up to 20th round) to sign and then another 6 of the later rounds guys, probably the three College SRs plus Dolan and Gomes and maybe a JR (hopefully B.Ison). The past two drafts they signed 25 and 26 of their picks, so that's what to expect numbers wise.

Any signing updates/rumors out there other than Sheffield? I really hope Zimmer doesn't demand over slot. I still think Weaver was the way to go, but it could have been much worse than Zimmer too.
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:33 pm

Pretty sure we can say Bobby Bradley has signed for overslot money. He said on mlb.com the Tribe GAVE (notice past tense) him top top two rd money.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:35 am

Overview / Final Thoughts on the Draft....The First Pick, Bradley Zimmer..

This draft seems to be well received by many of the respected organizations that provide an evaluation.. There are the odd negative comment here and there (the grade of F for drafting Bradley Zimmer 21st overall appears to be a friend of Paul Hoynes trying to stir up shit to see if a rise can be generated).. From what I can tell.. this is a draft that has some depth and may prove to be one of the better drafts in recent memory.. The first pick, Brad Zimmer is an obvious focus. He appears to be the kind of hitter the Indians really need in their system.. With Clint Frazier, Tyler Naquin and now Bradley Zimmer, the Indians appear to be putting together a cadre of high draft pick outfielders. Add Bryson Miles and Moncrief and others.. and this could become a source of strength in the very near future. Of particular note regarding Zimmer:

Bradley Zimmer is a 6'5", 215 superb athlete with a chance to hit like Krys Bryant of the Cubs at some point in the future. Zimmer is a better defensive OF'er than he's credited with. The best comp that I can think of w/r to him is Paul O'Neil who was drafted by the Cincinnati Reds as an 18 year old in 1981.. Pauly had about a dozen at bats by the time he was 24 and broke into the majors at age 25.. Zimmer should arrive on or about that time to the corner of Carnegie and Ontario

With any draft pick taken at this spot.. most of the refinements needed to make progress in the minors and debut in the majors are a matter of tweaking or adjustments.. That's not the case with Bradley Zimmer.. According to one report (that I agree with) by Alex Nelson, pretty fair writer / evaluator and Mets fan, when evaluating the potential selection of Zimmer as the first pick for the Mets, stated:

"..Zimmer's the enigmatic college hitter of this year's draft, a lean, 6-foot-5-inch hitter with above-average speed and the potential to play center field as a pro. It's easy to imagine him using those long arms to leverage the ball over the right field fence for home runs. Unfortunately, it just doesn't happen often due to just a terribly timed swing that has other inconsistencies. When he keeps his hands up and back and brings his weight forward at the point of contact, the ball will positively jump off his bat. Most of the time, however, he'll drop his hands before swinging and sometimes will move his front foot forward without bringing the rest of his weight off his back foot. This gives his swing an almost tentative appearance, almost like he can't decide if he wants to swing or not. If he gets that right, and if he adds a little muscle, he could be an average defensive center fielder who hits .280 with 20-plus homers. As it is, I see more of a .260 hitter with 10 homers who might be too big to stick in center. At the very least, he has the arm for right. Zimmer will go to a team that thinks they can clean up his mechanical issues, and there's star potential if he can...."

Zimmer has the goods to be great but must overcome these issues.. Seems like it will be doable with hard work and time.. The evaluation, when you look at some of the swings, appears to be pretty much right on.. When you look at these videos, the top two are okay..the bottom two, the home run and the double.. show an innate ability to barrel the ball.. it's a rare and wonderful thing.. Here is the link: http://www.mymlbdraft.com/2014/mlb-draf ... ley-Zimmer
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby BrianM » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:08 pm

Thanks for that info on Zimmer. I don't like the Bryant comp. Bryant has proven some monster power numbers that Zimmer will never match. I do like the Zimmer pick though. His floor seems like a Tyler Naquin type player, which sounds like a turnoff, but his ceiling is Alex Gordon. I'll take that any day.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of any of the players we drafted, but I like this draft because from what I have read, we did draft fairly safe guys in Zimmer and Papi who have a much higher floor than most, but they also have considerably higher ceilings than most guys who are considered safe picks. Even Bradley seems to have a much higher floor than many of the other high upside high school guys drafted before him like Gatewood and Harrison, yet he actually has a similar ceiling as well. The polished high school pitchers is actually a nice change as well. Lovegrove and Brown have actually made me crave a young polished starter. We only made a few more selections that have pretty substantial potential, but the first five picks of this draft made me pretty enthusiastic about how things ended up.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:31 am

BrianM wrote:Thanks for that info on Zimmer. I don't like the Bryant comp. Bryant has proven some monster power numbers that Zimmer will never match. I do like the Zimmer pick though. His floor seems like a Tyler Naquin type player, which sounds like a turnoff, but his ceiling is Alex Gordon. I'll take that any day.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of any of the players we drafted, but I like this draft because from what I have read, we did draft fairly safe guys in Zimmer and Papi who have a much higher floor than most, but they also have considerably higher ceilings than most guys who are considered safe picks. Even Bradley seems to have a much higher floor than many of the other high upside high school guys drafted before him like Gatewood and Harrison, yet he actually has a similar ceiling as well. The polished high school pitchers is actually a nice change as well. Lovegrove and Brown have actually made me crave a young polished starter. We only made a few more selections that have pretty substantial potential, but the first five picks of this draft made me pretty enthusiastic about how things ended up.

The reason for the comp to Bryant is they are so similar in size and swing mechanics, etc. It's clear that Bryant is two years and 15 pounds ahead of Zimmer.. but, in two years..they could be mirrors of each other (Zimmer Left/Bryant Right)... You didn't like the Paul O'Neill comp?
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Tondo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:45 am

In terms of hit, power and speed tools, the best comps for Zimmer seem to be Brantley and Gordon. I doubt he will ever hit over 20 HRs in the Majors and I think it would be a mistake if they ask him to bulk up because it would take away from his speed. I'd be happy with an unspectacular 15/15 bat, that hits .275. Not a superstar, but an above average player. If ZImmer gains some power but loses speed his comp coule become David Murphy

As for Papi, I think he has less bust potential and a much higher floor than anyone in this Indians draft class, including Zimmer. Depending on his power development, his ceiling is Nick Swisher (in his prime :wink ) and his floor is Lyle Overbay. Both those players reached the Majors just two years after their selection and I expect Papi to rise through the Minors similarly thanks to his pro-ready approach at the plate.

Greg Allen profiles as a switch hitting leadoff hitter with speed and little power potential, so the comp to the likes of Angel Pagan and Coco Crisp are easy, especially since they were drafted in the same range (Allen 188th, Crisp 222nd, Pagan 136th).
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:15 pm

ahh... now that the Zimmer Overview has been completed.. I'll move onto the lower end of the draft.. The Indians (and every other ML club) draft or have the rights acquired for about 50 to 60 newb's every year.. The team can't fit that many new guys into their system.. so, some of them don't get signed.. some eschew starting a professional career and go/return to college.. some from previous years get let go.. and some quit.. Of the 42 players drafted, the Indians typically sign no more than about two dozen.. So nearly two dozen.. don't get signed.. I'm going to discuss players selected in rounds # 35, # 32, # 30 and # 26, respectively. That is, of the last 15 rounds of the draft.. these are the four guys that may have a chance to be signed..

In Round # 26, The Indians select OF'er Reese Cooley!! WhoTF is Reese Cooley?. He's a big time athlete. He's a guy that could be what the Indians saw in D'von Mc'Clure.. When it comes to tools.. this guy is the shed.. Signing him may not be easy, but would be well worth the effort..

In Round 30 The Indians select RHP Nick Hynes, A JUCO guy: At 6’4″ tipping the scales at an impressive 220 pounds he has the size and the FB that you cannot teach. He is up to 90 - 92. He has a curve and a change that need some help, but, he's also just 20 years old. With his build, he could become a helluva workhorse type SP at the upper levels of all of baseball.

In Round 32, The Indians select LHP Jared West He's a big boy (6’6″ / 220).. He doesn't throw very hard. His secondary pitches are there, but not at all developed. His big brother plays in MLB (Sean). He was drafted by the Pirates two years ago. He's interesting in that he has the body and size that says he can and will be more.. He has age on his side too.. If he doesn't sign (he's a sophomore)..no big deal..

In Round 35, the Indians select 3B Joseph Dunand a Florida prep school kid. He's a RH'd masher who emulates his uncle, Alex Rodriguez in many ways.. Same height.. same build. and has terrific tools. He has pitched, but, make no mistake, his path to the major leagues will require him to play a position. He could be the 'steal' of the late picks in this draft by the Indians if they can sign him away from going to NC State.

There might be one other guy in this mix (Like Ryder Ryan)... but, four is enough for now..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:00 pm

Tondo wrote:In terms of hit, power and speed tools, the best comps for Zimmer seem to be Brantley and Gordon. I doubt he will ever hit over 20 HRs in the Majors and I think it would be a mistake if they ask him to bulk up because it would take away from his speed. I'd be happy with an unspectacular 15/15 bat, that hits .275. Not a superstar, but an above average player. If ZImmer gains some power but loses speed his comp coule become David Murphy

As for Papi, I think he has less bust potential and a much higher floor than anyone in this Indians draft class, including Zimmer. Depending on his power development, his ceiling is Nick Swisher (in his prime :wink ) and his floor is Lyle Overbay. Both those players reached the Majors just two years after their selection and I expect Papi to rise through the Minors similarly thanks to his pro-ready approach at the plate.

Greg Allen profiles as a switch hitting leadoff hitter with speed and little power potential, so the comp to the likes of Angel Pagan and Coco Crisp are easy, especially since they were drafted in the same range (Allen 188th, Crisp 222nd, Pagan 136th).

I like the David Murphy comp with Zimmer...similar body types. Murphy was a tweener CF/cOF as well. Some pop, some speed, solid hit tool. Could see Zimmer being better though...or worse.

First player that came to mind for me with Greg Allen was Ben Revere due to lack of power.

The Papi-Swisher comp seems to be a popular one. Would be fitting if he did reach the bigs in 2-3 years, right when Swisher's deal is expiring.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:04 pm

I don’t see the Nick Swisher comparisons with Mike Papi. Physically they are quite different and tools-wise Papi has a better throwing arm. I saw Nick Swisher a lot when he was playing at Ohio State. Both were patient hitters in college but I don’t see too many similarities outside of that. Last year Rocky compared Mike Papi to Paul O’Neill, which was quite a bullish call, but that comparison makes more sense to me. Athletically, Papi is similar to Paul O’Neill and they both have pretty similar swings and approaches at the plate. I don’t think Papi is the kind of guy that stands out in BP (Swisher looked better in BP with better extension and bat speed), and I’d say the same for Paul O’Neill given his swing. I expect Papi to hit for better average than Swisher did, though quite likely less power depending on how Papi develops physically.

Regarding Bradley Zimmer, I don’t think people should underestimate his power potential. He’s an athletic guy with an athletic bone structure. I think his swing needs refinement and he needs to add some muscle mass before the power comes. I think the power will take longer for Zimmer to develop, but I’d expect to see 20+ HR power by the time he’s 26. I really think people underestimate his tools package because he’s a college player instead of a HS guy. He was a late bloomer and that’s perfectly fine. I think people want to underrate a college position player's tools/athleticism if they got him at 21st overall -- the tapes on Zimmer say otherwise -- the guy is a good, projectable athlete.

I’m not a particular fan of the direction the Indians went in the 4th and 5th rounds but the HS guys they got in the 7th, 8th and 9th rounds have good upside. Simeon Lucas looks like he can really swing the bat in BP. He is strong with an athletic build and a good swing.

In the 8th round Micah Miniard is a clear upside, projectable HS arm. Normally talents like that don’t last until the 8th round (gone after the 5th). He’s probably raw with inconsistencies which is why he fell, but he’s got real upside.

I’m also intrigued with the 9th round selection, Alexis Pantoja. He looks to be a very nice athlete with a physically immature body. He runs very well and just looking at his tapes, the guy has very nice arm speed so the arm looks good. At the plate there is no real bat speed there, but his swing structure looks good. He will need to get stronger to improve the bat speed – he’s got an immature body right now. Teenagers develop at different ages – hell, look at Michael Chavis’ tapes in BP. He is a grown man with very impressive bat speed for a teenager. He would have fit right in during MLB BP sessions at age 17 for sure. He’s already done growing, though. For sure he’ll get stronger, but the marginal improvement won’t be much.

To be honest, just looking at Pantoja’s athleticism, arm speed and long arms & legs, don’t close the door on this young man giving the mound a shot at some point. He’s got a very nice arm action. He may never hit enough to make the majors as a hitter (unless he gets stronger), but as pitcher he may have a better shot. If I were a scout I’d ask him to throw off a mound to see how he looks – I bet it wouldn’t be half bad.

Overall, I’ve been critical of past drafts and some of the overslot signings they made (which I criticized on this board), but I like some of the elements of this class. Zimmer, Papi, Bradley and some of these later HS guys in the 7th to 9th rounds look interesting. I hope they are able to ink them b/c there’s some potential with these guys. The HS guys Sheffield and Hockin aren’t terribly exciting selections for where they were taken but they’ve got good arms.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Tondo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:52 pm

Hmm, apparentlly the Indians signed Hockin at 1.1mil. 171k over slot. I liked Hockin as a 3rd/4th rounder going in, so when the Indians took him at 61 I even hoped for an under slot signing. Kinda disappointing and I have a hard time doing the math on the rest of this class now. If Bradley got a couple 100k more than slot too and Zimmer probably demanding more and all those HS picks taken later on day 2 not coming cheap either, I'm starting to wonder how they make it work.

Fulencheck signed for 1mil and Ronnie Williams for 834k, Verdugo for 915k, Cody Reed for 1mil, Forbes for 1.2mil and Reid-Foley for basically the same at 1.129mil.

To me, Hockin looks like the worst talent/price value
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:25 pm

Per BA, Mayweather signed for $20K.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:30 am

Ok, let's do some budget math:

Sheffield -133k
Hockin +171
Merryweather -280k
Patterson -127k (signed for 10k)

That sums up to -369k so far. A good chunk of that is already taken up by Bradley. There are no other realisitc under slot candidates, maybe Papi slightly, but best case is that Zimmer and Papi both sign for slot. Hentges probably needs to go over slot too and the 6th to 9th rounders may want more too. I think the Indians may have to go over their budget and pay some fee to get all 12 signed. As long as it's not over the 5%, it's not my money.

As for the late round gambles. Hynes is interesting. He could be signable too. Last year they were able to sign away Cortland Cox. There's always a better chance to convince a JuCo spec to sign than HS, mostly cheaper too.
Cooley is similar to Monte Harrison in terms of tools and that are the rounds you take a flyer on one of those. Slim chance to sign him, but good gamble to take. I actually like that the Indians took several of those, who many consider wasted picks. But since they can only sign around 25 anyway, might as well waste some of the picks on talented prospects. You never know what happens and if you can sign one of them every other year than it's well worth it.
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:04 pm

The Tribe went over budget on the international front. They might like this draft class enough to do the same w/o incurring draft pick penalty. If they did, they would have about $400K to go over without hitting draft pick penalty mode.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:06 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:I don’t see the Nick Swisher comparisons with Mike Papi. Physically they are quite different and tools-wise Papi has a better throwing arm. I saw Nick Swisher a lot when he was playing at Ohio State. Both were patient hitters in college but I don’t see too many similarities outside of that. Last year Rocky compared Mike Papi to Paul O’Neill, which was quite a bullish call, but that comparison makes more sense to me. Athletically, Papi is similar to Paul O’Neill and they both have pretty similar swings and approaches at the plate. I don’t think Papi is the kind of guy that stands out in BP (Swisher looked better in BP with better extension and bat speed), and I’d say the same for Paul O’Neill given his swing. I expect Papi to hit for better average than Swisher did, though quite likely less power depending on how Papi develops physically.

Regarding Bradley Zimmer, I don’t think people should underestimate his power potential. He’s an athletic guy with an athletic bone structure. I think his swing needs refinement and he needs to add some muscle mass before the power comes. I think the power will take longer for Zimmer to develop, but I’d expect to see 20+ HR power by the time he’s 26. I really think people underestimate his tools package because he’s a college player instead of a HS guy. He was a late bloomer and that’s perfectly fine. I think people want to underrate a college position player's tools/athleticism if they got him at 21st overall -- the tapes on Zimmer say otherwise -- the guy is a good, projectable athlete.

I’m not a particular fan of the direction the Indians went in the 4th and 5th rounds but the HS guys they got in the 7th, 8th and 9th rounds have good upside. Simeon Lucas looks like he can really swing the bat in BP. He is strong with an athletic build and a good swing.

In the 8th round Micah Miniard is a clear upside, projectable HS arm. Normally talents like that don’t last until the 8th round (gone after the 5th). He’s probably raw with inconsistencies which is why he fell, but he’s got real upside.

I’m also intrigued with the 9th round selection, Alexis Pantoja. He looks to be a very nice athlete with a physically immature body. He runs very well and just looking at his tapes, the guy has very nice arm speed so the arm looks good. At the plate there is no real bat speed there, but his swing structure looks good. He will need to get stronger to improve the bat speed – he’s got an immature body right now. Teenagers develop at different ages – hell, look at Michael Chavis’ tapes in BP. He is a grown man with very impressive bat speed for a teenager. He would have fit right in during MLB BP sessions at age 17 for sure. He’s already done growing, though. For sure he’ll get stronger, but the marginal improvement won’t be much.

To be honest, just looking at Pantoja’s athleticism, arm speed and long arms & legs, don’t close the door on this young man giving the mound a shot at some point. He’s got a very nice arm action. He may never hit enough to make the majors as a hitter (unless he gets stronger), but as pitcher he may have a better shot. If I were a scout I’d ask him to throw off a mound to see how he looks – I bet it wouldn’t be half bad.

Overall, I’ve been critical of past drafts and some of the overslot signings they made (which I criticized on this board), but I like some of the elements of this class. Zimmer, Papi, Bradley and some of these later HS guys in the 7th to 9th rounds look interesting. I hope they are able to ink them b/c there’s some potential with these guys. The HS guys Sheffield and Hockin aren’t terribly exciting selections for where they were taken but they’ve got good arms.

+1

Other than liking Zimmer & Papi(Duh), I'm liking Simeon Lucas a bunch. Made a comment on the post-draft profile that he was battling Kopech pretty good in that vid. Good AB before lining out to short. That's your 7th rounder against a 1S. In the 2nd part he pulled an outer half FB off of a RHP for a double. Impressive bat speed.

I also like the looks of 23rd round pick David Armendariz. Here's the MLB draft tracker vid, which is better than what was on the profile page:

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/67565098/v ... armendariz

With Hockin I'm just resigned to trusting our west coast scout. He's got a good track record. Charlie Nagy upside, maybe?

I hope they sign Luke Eubank & let him start. Consensus seems to be that he ends up in the pen but if Plutko can start, so can Eubank.

Bobby Ison! No upside probably, future 4th OF/defensive replacement maybe, great story definitely. He'll probably will not sign but while I don't think he's a future ML player, I'm a fan.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:16 pm

Heard Ison was willing to sign, probably a role player at best. Good story though.

Agreed, re: Hockin, I think he could develop into a number three or better. Would have preferred Reid-Foley for the price, maybe his price may have came down after he slid / came to his senses (take the $ & the free education).

I think they should go hard to get Eubank signed, I like him in-spite of his smallish frame. I agree, they should start him, but I think he's ultimately a 7/8th inning guy in the future.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:59 pm

And the winner is:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/6/1 ... l-analysis

The Tribe, of course.

The WSux first two picks rock, I don't like Austin; Frye, meh. Montes the Orca won't sign & has conditioning issues, although it didn't affect the Chubby Choker until later in the career.

The tigers owner better keep his FA check book handy, they can't draft for shit. They passed up lots of talent in favor of Derek Hill. Turnbull's okay, Greiner's a defensive stud with a long swing. Actually like the Ravenelle pick. Kivett, Pankake, good college players.

The Royals haul is impressive. Numbers + Upside = Success. I'm skeptical of Vallot sticking at catcher, though he does remind me a bit of Pudge Fisk physically. Well done on the top 5 picks.

Only Gordon keeps the Twinkies from having a draft comparable to the tigers. Burdi, where they picked him, okay. Cederoth should be in the wild man cage at a carnival. I like Sam Clay. I believe he could start, gets lots of ground balls, but if he's the only starter that they drafted...???
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Kipnis22 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:29 pm

How does Sheffield compare to the 3 B's from last year in Barker, Brown and Brady?
Who has a high ceiling between Brady and Sheffield.
Kipnis22
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:51 pm

Kipnis22 wrote:How does Sheffield compare to the 3 B's from last year in Barker, Brown and Brady?

I think you mean, Dylan Baker, Mitch Brown, and Sean Brady in comparison to Justus Sheffield. IMO, consider where Sheffield was drafted and what the Tribe has reportedly paid to get him signed. Obviously, they regard him more highly than the others. I like Baker, hate he got injured, but he could make up some innings in winter ball. I think Bakers upside is a three SP maybe (doubtful) a little better. Brown is slowly coming around, I say, his ceiling is a third SP, probably more of a four or five at this point. Brady has been impressive (until his debut yesterday), I would also suggest he might be another three SP. For comps sake, Sheffield probably projects as a good number three, but is more polished at this point (comp. to the start of others careers) than those three. Sheffield is a safer bet, even for a HS arm with his pitch ability. Same could be said for Grant Hockin, who I'd suggest could be similar maybe a bit more projection left. Sheffield is what he is, he will gain exp., knowledge and maybe a tick or two in velo (more consistently) but he's done growing and already has a solid reportoire.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Kipnis22 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:31 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:
Kipnis22 wrote:How does Sheffield compare to the 3 B's from last year in Barker, Brown and Brady?

I think you mean, Dylan Baker, Mitch Brown, and Sean Brady in comparison to Justus Sheffield. IMO, consider where Sheffield was drafted and what the Tribe has reportedly paid to get him signed. Obviously, they regard him more highly than the others. I like Baker, hate he got injured, but he could make up some innings in winter ball. I think Bakers upside is a three SP maybe (doubtful) a little better. Brown is slowly coming around, I say, his ceiling is a third SP, probably more of a four or five at this point. Brady has been impressive (until his debut yesterday), I would also suggest he might be another three SP. For comps sake, Sheffield probably projects as a good number three, but is more polished at this point (comp. to the start of others careers) than those three. Sheffield is a safer bet, even for a HS arm with his pitch ability. Same could be said for Grant Hockin, who I'd suggest could be similar maybe a bit more projection left. Sheffield is what he is, he will gain exp., knowledge and maybe a tick or two in velo (more consistently) but he's done growing and already has a solid reportoire.

Tribe paid him under slot, they gave Brady way over slot, almost double at 800K IIRC I also think Brady has more to grow at only 175 IIRC and I doubt Sheffield can match Bradys command
Kipnis22
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:48 pm

Price is not always a marker of talent, but consider the Tribe paid $1.6 M to sign Sheffield and $800 K for Brady. If Brady were as talented Sheffield, I think he would have been drafted before the fifth round. That's not a shot at Brady, he was polished too, plus he probably three SP upside too. Sheffield is a more talented arm, with a higher probability of reaching his ceiling! IMHO. Btw, wasn't a fan of the pk. He's good, I just wanted other arms at that point.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Kipnis22 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:19 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Price is not always a marker of talent, but consider the Tribe paid $1.6 M to sign Sheffield and $800 K for Brady. If Brady were as talented Sheffield, I think he would have been drafted before the fifth round. That's not a shot at Brady, he was polished too, plus he probably three SP upside too. Sheffield is a more talented arm, with a higher probability of reaching his ceiling! IMHO. Btw, wasn't a fan of the pk. He's good, I just wanted other arms at that point.

Under slot vs almost double slot and the highest paid 5th round pick in the whole draft . Looks like an advantage to Brady to me. Sheffield got what he did because the Indians reached for him (was rated in the 80s and lower by most. Says it all to me when you are willing to make him the highest paid player in that round, can't say anything close to the same for Sheffield.

Brady also got a first round grade by another team so sounds like he's just as talented.

Don't see any possible way Sheffield is more talented or more likely to hit his ceiling. He isn't going to be more then a high 80s pitcher because his frame is maxed out (unlike Brady)

Sheffield looks more like a safe sign HS project
Kipnis22
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:34 pm

Kipnis22 wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:Price is not always a marker of talent, but consider the Tribe paid $1.6 M to sign Sheffield and $800 K for Brady. If Brady were as talented Sheffield, I think he would have been drafted before the fifth round. That's not a shot at Brady, he was polished too, plus he probably three SP upside too. Sheffield is a more talented arm, with a higher probability of reaching his ceiling! IMHO. Btw, wasn't a fan of the pk. He's good, I just wanted other arms at that point.

Under slot vs almost double slot and the highest paid 5th round pick in the whole draft . Looks like an advantage to Brady to me. Sheffield got what he did because the Indians reached for him (was rated in the 80s and lower by most. Says it all to me when you are willing to make him the highest paid player in that round, can't say anything close to the same for Sheffield.

Brady also got a first round grade by another team so sounds like he's just as talented.

Don't see any possible way Sheffield is more talented or more likely to hit his ceiling. He isn't going to be more then a high 80s pitcher because his frame is maxed out (unlike Brady)

Sheffield looks more like a safe sign HS project

Oops, on the exclamation mark there after ceiling in above comments. Multitasking- that should have been a comma.

I think the two are close, but Sheffield is a superior talent, IMO. I liked the Brady pk btw, smallish lefty with polish should be a quick moving arm sounds a lot like Sheffield. Similar type players, the Tribe overpaid to get Sheffield, IMO.

My point, re:signing bonus it is not the value of the pick, it's the perceived value by the club to invest in that players talent. Overall, with Brady I think they got a similar player at half the cost, IMO a better use of their resources in comparison. However, I stand by the comments, Sheffield has a similar ceiling, (maybe better) but is more likely to hit that ceiling, and that's why the Tribe drafted him. Personally, I hope they both develop into Travis Wood type arms.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:19 am

Kipnis22 wrote: Sheffield got what he did because the Indians reached for him (was rated in the 80s and lower by most.

K.Law 21
mlb.com 39
PG 39
BA 41

Player that in your mind should be drafted in the first round, but likely won't be ?

Patrick Ebert: "I will say that I think Justus Sheffield has some of the best pitchability I've seen at the HS level and think he could be a guy we all wonder how he didn't go int the first round 2-3 years down the road."

Sheffield was a consensus top 30-50 talent and was paid accordingly. Brady was a mid round HS arm that wanted 2nd/3rd round money and got it. I like both, but Sheffield is the better all around talent.
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:50 am

I don't like Sheffield as much as the experts, only because of his lower ceiling than some other arms. But IMO, he's more likely to make it than some of the other arms with potentially better upside that were there.

As for Sean Brady I thought he was 2nd / 3rd round type arm. Sheffield throws harder, and has better stuff. Similar guys, smallish LHSP "safe HS pks." I think the Tribe could have gotten him at 38, but it's hard to argue with it at 31 - very similar talents at that range. I would have preferred someone like Matt Imhof, or Michael Kopech, but Sheffield was a solid, safe get. Sheffield is a better talent, with better stuff and is more likely, IMHO to hit his ceiling...and I wasn't a Sheffield backer. Regardless, qlty pick by the Tribe
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby DCTribefan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:00 am

Good read on Mike Papi from today's Washington Post. Interestingly, the article notes he did not start for the Cavaliers until 15 months ago.

Papi, a first-round pick by the Cleveland Indians this year, was not a regular in Virginia’s lineup just 15 months ago. Slowed by a back injury, he did not emerge until a March 2013 game against Clemson, promptly hitting a game-tying, pinch-hit single in the ninth inning and crushing a go-ahead home run in the 11th.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...f9f1_story.html
DCTribefan
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:17 pm

The Indians appear to have signed their first pick, the # 21 overall in the draft for an "under slot" value, albeit very slight, of $ 1.9 MM. Sounds like the Tribe is going to have all three future OF'ers in the fold by day's end...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:26 pm

Bobby Bradley reportedly signed for $912,500 almost $400K overslot.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:33 pm

Here's a link on Sam Hentges the big young lefty the Tribe draft in the 4th rd.
http://www.mnbaseballhub.com/news_article/show/394961
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:24 pm

Jim Callis reporting Tribe has signed Hentges for $700K and $160K for 4yrs at Arkansas.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby OhioBaseball » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:59 am

I'm anxious to see how Bobby Bradley looks vs. live pitching. He's turned in some real impressive BP sessions. If he's got a good approach at the plate and can hit off-speed stuff, he may have been a very good selection.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby DCTribefan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:12 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:Jim Callis reporting Tribe has signed Hentges for $700K and $160K for 4yrs at Arkansas.

Not to split hairs but I think the $160K figure for Arkansas education is a bit overstated. The cost would be closer to $125K (http://scholarships.uark.edu/nrta/index.php). Now the cost of an education at Vanderbilt would obviously be much higher.
DCTribefan
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:12 am

The more this draft class is investigated...the more there is to like.. Hentges could become a two way player if the Indians are bold enough and Hentges is willing to put in the time to be both a 1B and a pitcher.. It's doubtful, but, he's the kind of athlete that could improve roster flexibility. Hentges is already a superb fielding 1B.. and can hit very well.. his pitching is perhaps his weakest skill.. but it won't stay that way..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Tondo » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:35 am

Good, fair deal with Zimmer.

Great deal for slot with Lucas. Steal of the draft.

Bradley went over slot but fair money for his abilities.

Don't like the over slot bonus for Hentges though. He was drafted too early and leveraged his way to 700k. The Indians must really like him because that's buying really high for a 17yo "projectable" arm.
Going over slot for an 8th round HS arm, like they did with Miniard who's also all projection, is the smarter way to go, because it doesn't hurt the budget as much. Miniard reportedly signed for 350k. Is Hentges really twice as much worth the gamble? Could have gotten a College LHP like Gomber for slot value in the 4th. Better balance and budget smarter. The savings would have allowed them to sign one of Jones or Eubanks which seems unlikely at this point. Gomber+Eubanks > Hentges, at least for me, but we will see 3-4years from now. Who knows, maybe he's the next AJ Reed, LHP/power 1B. For that money, he better come real close to that.

By my math, with the reports on Pantoja's and Papi's bonus still due, the Indians should be around 300k over budget. Maybe Papi signs slightly under slot, but it looks like the Indians will have to pay overage tax and will have no room to add any of the unsigned JuCo or HS specs.

Anyway, still a good overall effort and addition of talent. The rotation in the AZL should be filled with high profile prospects now: Sheffield, Hockin, Hentges, Miniard, C.Shane and probably some expensive Latin arms. Hopefully this "class" shakes out better than the "dream big" ceilings of M.Brown, D.Howard, Lovegrove, Hamrick etc
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby OhioBaseball » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:00 pm

Tondo wrote:Don't like the over slot bonus for Hentges though. He was drafted too early and leveraged his way to 700k. The Indians must really like him because that's buying really high for a 17yo "projectable" arm.
Going over slot for an 8th round HS arm, like they did with Miniard who's also all projection, is the smarter way to go, because it doesn't hurt the budget as much. Miniard reportedly signed for 350k. Is Hentges really twice as much worth the gamble? Could have gotten a College LHP like Gomber for slot value in the 4th. Better balance and budget smarter.

I agree. I actually like the way Hentges throws (pitches vertically, which could be really nasty given his height) but I don't see a "projectable arm" here. Hentges is a lumbering athlete with wide hips and a wide frame and I think he could have some issues controlling his weight as he ages. That type of body and athletic actions at age 17...those guys can balloon up very quickly as they get older. If anything, I don't look at Hentges and get excited about how he could look in 5 years, I get worried about how he could look in 5 years! That being said, the guy scrapes the clouds and throws from the sky, which I love b/c those guys are the ones that tend to miss bats.

The key with Hentges is getting this guy in shape and keeping him shape. If Hentges really commits himself to fitness he could consistently throw 89-93mph with a downer curve (should be relatively easy with his arm slot), he could be really good though it sounds like he's been inconsistent thus far in his career. Even at 89-90 mph with his fastball, he will get swings and misses of that pitch b/c of the way he throws it. $700k strikes me as a rich bonus, though. I look at Miniard at half the price and I don't see that much of a difference in terms of talent/prospect status, but both have talent. I'd prefer two Miniard's to one Hentges, but that's not how things work!
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:18 pm

DCTribefan wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:Jim Callis reporting Tribe has signed Hentges for $700K and $160K for 4yrs at Arkansas.

Not to split hairs but I think the $160K figure for Arkansas education is a bit overstated. The cost would be closer to $125K (http://scholarships.uark.edu/nrta/index.php). Now the cost of an education at Vanderbilt would obviously be much higher.

Just posted what was reported.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:36 pm

Tondo wrote:Good, fair deal with Zimmer.

Great deal for slot with Lucas. Steal of the draft.

Bradley went over slot but fair money for his abilities.

Don't like the over slot bonus for Hentges though. He was drafted too early and leveraged his way to 700k. The Indians must really like him because that's buying really high for a 17yo "projectable" arm.
Going over slot for an 8th round HS arm, like they did with Miniard who's also all projection, is the smarter way to go, because it doesn't hurt the budget as much. Miniard reportedly signed for 350k. Is Hentges really twice as much worth the gamble? Could have gotten a College LHP like Gomber for slot value in the 4th. Better balance and budget smarter. The savings would have allowed them to sign one of Jones or Eubanks which seems unlikely at this point. Gomber+Eubanks > Hentges, at least for me, but we will see 3-4years from now. Who knows, maybe he's the next AJ Reed, LHP/power 1B. For that money, he better come real close to that.

By my math, with the reports on Pantoja's and Papi's bonus still due, the Indians should be around 300k over budget. Maybe Papi signs slightly under slot, but it looks like the Indians will have to pay overage tax and will have no room to add any of the unsigned JuCo or HS specs.

Anyway, still a good overall effort and addition of talent. The rotation in the AZL should be filled with high profile prospects now: Sheffield, Hockin, Hentges, Miniard, C.Shane and probably some expensive Latin arms. Hopefully this "class" shakes out better than the "dream big" ceilings of M.Brown, D.Howard, Lovegrove, Hamrick etc

I had Hentges as a 7th rd prospect, based on his projection. 5 yrs from now he might be a MOR LHSP that throw mid-90's it might be a long wait, but he's got a big ceiling. That said, I probably would have went Gomber there too. (Hentges) He's gonna need some time, he's very raw, but if he pans out - it could be big for the Tribe. I guess they thought it wise to balance this draft with safe college pks (Zimmer, Papi, Allen) then a lot of projectable talent (Hentges, Miniard and Pantoja). The Tribe likes scouting Minnesota apparently, drafting Jordan Smith, Mitch Brown and now Sam Hentges all the best products from the state. I think Jordan Milbrath was a North Dakota find, so looks like they are scouring for talent.

I really like the Greg Allen pk. Great defense, speed, switch hitting leadoff type, light power is really his draw back, but I think he could be a tremendous value.

FYI, I believe Leandro Linares the Cuban RHSP signed last yr for almost $1M will be in AZ too. Looks like the Tribe is starting to develop some depth. Now they need some impact arms with FOR type stuff.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:41 pm

The Tribe went over on the international front to get some talent they wanted. I wouldn't be surprised to see them push their limits. They could spend about $410 K over budget before hitting draft pk penalty. I believe Pantoja is signed for slot, so that leaves Papi's signing bonus, which I expect comes in around $100-$200K underslot. That would still give the Tribe some wiggle room. Maybe an extra $25-$50K gets another arm or two.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:13 am

Getting Eubank and Jodd Carter signed makes this a very good class. Love the JuCo and HS gambles after round 10 exactly for that reason.

This might interest only me, but I did a quick research of bonuses of the past 3 budget drafts, draft pick slots included:

2012:
21 Naquin 1.75mil
79 Mitch Brown 800k
110 Lovegrove 400k
173 D.Baker 200k
203 Wendle 10k
233 J.McAdams 250k

Could find no info on Hamrick or Vick...

2013:
5 Frazier 3.5mil
79 Kime 525k
111 Crockett 464k
141 S.Brady 800k
171 C.Shane 150k
201 K.Matthews 150k
231 T.Frank 10k
261 Pannone 120k
321 Plutko 300k

2014:
21 Zimmer 1.9mil
31 J.Sheffield 1.6mil
38 Papi ??
61 Hockin 1.1mil
97 B.Bradley 913k
128 Hentges 700k
158 J.Merryweather 20k
188 G.Allen 200k
218 S.Lucas 168k
248 Miniard 350k
278 Pantoja ??
308 S.Patterson 10k

Getting Allen, Lucas, Miniard and Pantoja signed for (probably) less than 1mil combined was very good budget managing. Investing 3.75mil in HS arms but next to nothing in College arms, which was a strength of this draft. I still think this was a mistake, considering the (lack of) early results from some of the more expensive HS arms of prior drafts. Only two 4y College arms drafted in the top 5 rounds: Kime and Crockett. Crockett has already done more than the HS arms combined. Sure, it's early, but some of them have already busted or got their "ceiling" significantly re-adjusted to reality.

What I do like though, is the heavy JuCo approach. That's where the Indians have found a niche lately, getting good arms pretty cheaply: Baker, Matthews, Pannone, C.Cox, J.Garcia and now Robinson, Eubank, C.Hill, Angulo. Most of them cost between 100-200k and are as talented, if not more, than most HS arms in the 200-500k range. And some of them are as good and talented as some of those 500k-1mil HS arms.
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:44 pm

Naquin was the 15th pick.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:10 am

Some mlb draft pks that impact the College World Series...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2106 ... teamstream
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:25 pm

Here's an article re: the draft from Fangraphs...

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/sunday-n ... ian-weeks/
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk