RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2013 AZL Indians

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

2013 AZL Indians

Postby ASUTribefan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:07 pm

Saw Lovegrove pitch the other night, went 4.2 IP 4 H 6 K 1 BB 0 ER
Fastball sat 92-94 when i asked the guy with the radar gun after the game, says he hit 95,96 a couple times
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Re: 2013 AZL Indians

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:45 pm

Thanks for the up date. Sounds like Lovegrove should be in line for a bump up soon.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:39 pm

Should be in MV before their season ends.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby ASUTribefan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:05 pm

Frazier making his debut tonight
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:21 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:Frazier making his debut tonight

Went yard in his first pro AB
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:25 pm

Fitting start to a very promising career. Talent wise I think he could play in Lake County right now.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby ASUTribefan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:01 pm

playing DH batting leadoff.
on a sidenote i remember Joey Gallo tearing up AZL last year, he has 23 HRs already this year in 74 Games after hitting only 22 in 59 games last year.
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby ASUTribefan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:37 pm

3 RBI Triple, 2 for 3 1 HR 1 3B 4 RBI so far no BB no K
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:17 am

Frazier is a crazy talent. Thinking of Lindor and Frazier as the cornerstones of our franchise in the near future is extremely exciting.

Now if only we can find some pitching....
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:16 pm

Don't suppose anyone captured the Frazier AB's on video?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ASUTribefan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:04 pm

Man Mitch Brown is looking rough, i loved the pick but wow he just looks really really far out of his league so far

in 6 starts this year he has 19 IP 27 Hits 25 ER (to give up a ER almost everytime you give up a hit is god awful) 12 Walks and hitters are hitting .338. the small upside is he averages a K per inning.
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:12 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:Man Mitch Brown is looking rough, i loved the pick but wow he just looks really really far out of his league so far

in 6 starts this year he has 19 IP 27 Hits 25 ER (to give up a ER almost everytime you give up a hit is god awful) 12 Walks and hitters are hitting .338. the small upside is he averages a K per inning.

Mitch Brown, Dillon Howard, Trey Haley.... team can't seem to develop young arms. :confused
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:08 am

A.Zajac wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:Man Mitch Brown is looking rough, i loved the pick but wow he just looks really really far out of his league so far

Mitch Brown, Dillon Howard, Trey Haley.... team can't seem to develop young arms. :confused

Look at the draft and the comments Karsay had in a recent MH. The development team appears to favour pitchability as opposed to velocity. There wasn't a lot of hard throwers in the draft.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:16 am

Frazier went 3-6 2 RBI 1 K 0 BB DH again

in a game where 17 runs were scored the teams combined for only 5 extra base hits and they were all doubles
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby ASUTribefan » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:04 am

Frazier got the day off
Lovegrove went 4.1 IP 6 Hits 3 ER 5 K 1 BB

has 11 K to 2 BB in his first 9 IP
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:33 pm

Not sure where to put this but here is finally a Dillon Howard sighting

and not a good one.

Per Hoynes on The Twitter

#Indians minor league RHP Dillon Howard has been suspended for 50 games for violation of drug policy. Howard was 2nd rnd pick in 2011.
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:56 pm

That seems to explain him being MIA.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:02 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:That seems to explain him being MIA.

Not to mention he's been out of shape...

But the days of Dillon Howard being a prospect are OVER.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:09 pm

Agreed, this pretty much does it, IMO. Sad looks like he will never pitch above AZL.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby OhioBaseball » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:22 pm

I think the dichotomy here between news of Dillon Howard and of Jonathan Gray recently a little perplexing. This is not verified, but I've read he tested positive for amphetamines, which are basically what adderall is (what Gray tested positive for). Howard seems to have been written off, but Gray was practically given a free pass. Amphetamines can certainly be considered performance enhancing drugs, and I'm sure were widely abused (John Rocker is a prime example) in past decades. If Howard was indeed overweight, it's very possible he was using amphetamines to help him lose weight. I mean, I think it's stupid but some people choose to do these things.

Drug use in athletics is never going away. The economic incentives to cheat are too great. I don't work in the field, but one of my old friends does admin work for a couple very small companies his dad has ownership positions in that do biomolecular research and many of the researchers are quite confident they can get passed drug testing in athletics. This Biogenesis stuff in Miami isn't an isolated thing -- I'm sure there are dozens of similar practices.

Toronto Blue Jays 1st round pick Marcus Stroman was caught using an amphetamine-like pre-workout stimulant that you can buy cheaply over the counter at various stores across the country, he was suspended for 50 games and now he's back having a strong season in Double-A. His suspension is already an afterthought.

I think there are other reasons to write off Dillon Howard other than this suspension.
Last edited by OhioBaseball on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:30 pm

OB,

Howard showed up out of shape again. His velo. was down again. Maybe this wakes him up, but time is certainly running out for him. IF for some reason he turns things around I'm sure the Tribe would welcome it, but at this point it's essentially, another season down the drain. Developmentally, I'm not sure he can afford to lose it. Lets face it, the Tribes patience has to be wearing thin. I doubt they simply drop him, but IF he doesn't have his act together in the Spring good chance he's done for. Of course, maybe they have already seen enough.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:31 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:I think the dichotomy here between news of Dillon Howard and of Jonathan Gray recently a little perplexing. This is not verified, but I've read he tested positive for amphetamines, which are basically what adderall is (what Gray tested positive for). Howard seems to have been written off, but Gray was practically given a free pass. Amphetamines can certainly be considered performance enhancing drugs, and I'm sure were widely abused (John Rocker is a prime example) in past decades. If Howard was indeed overweight, it's very possible he was using amphetamines to help him lose weight. I mean, I think it's stupid but some people choose to do these things.

Drug use in athletics is never going away. The economic incentives to cheat are too great. I don't work in the field, but one of my old friends from growing up works for a couple small companies his dad has ownership positions in that do biomolecular research and many of the researchers are quite confident they can get passed drug testing in athletics. This Biogenesis stuff in Miami isn't an isolated thing -- I'm sure there are dozens of similar practices.

Toronto Blue Jays 1st round pick Marcus Stroman was caught using an amphetamine-like pre-workout stimulant that you can buy cheaply over the counter at various stores across the country, he was suspended for 50 games and now he's back having a strong season in Double-A. His suspension is already an afterthought.

I think there are other reasons to write off Dillon Howard other than this suspension.

The suspension basically just put the nail in the coffin.. He already came into camp out of shape with a bad work ethic. This is his third season with the club now and still hasn't made it past A ball. Now with the 50 game suspension... later bro.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby OhioBaseball » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:38 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
OhioBaseball wrote:I think the dichotomy here between news of Dillon Howard and of Jonathan Gray recently a little perplexing. This is not verified, but I've read he tested positive for amphetamines, which are basically what adderall is (what Gray tested positive for). Howard seems to have been written off, but Gray was practically given a free pass. Amphetamines can certainly be considered performance enhancing drugs, and I'm sure were widely abused (John Rocker is a prime example) in past decades. If Howard was indeed overweight, it's very possible he was using amphetamines to help him lose weight. I mean, I think it's stupid but some people choose to do these things.

Drug use in athletics is never going away. The economic incentives to cheat are too great. I don't work in the field, but one of my old friends from growing up works for a couple small companies his dad has ownership positions in that do biomolecular research and many of the researchers are quite confident they can get passed drug testing in athletics. This Biogenesis stuff in Miami isn't an isolated thing -- I'm sure there are dozens of similar practices.

The suspension basically just put the nail in the coffin.. He already came into camp out of shape with a bad work ethic. This is his third season with the club now and still hasn't made it past A ball. Now with the 50 game suspension... later bro.

Yeah. He shows up to camp out of shape, is told he needs get in shape quickly, but if he's got a bad work ethic hitting the treadmills may be a little too much effort so why not use speed to help you lose the weight? All speculation on my part, but its possible. I think the key here is that he may be a bad decision maker.

I will say, these seem to be character issues that were evident very early in his pro career and may have needed to be investigated a little further before cutting a $1.85 million check, but sometimes big money at an early age changes people and this was not foreseeable.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby ASUTribefan » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:42 pm

A.Zajac wrote:

i wouldn't call that one or 1.5 months he pitched when he was drafted a season, thats a major stretch
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:43 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

Yeah. He shows up to camp out of shape, is told he needs get in shape quickly, but if he's got a bad work ethic hitting the treadmills may be a little too much effort so why not use speed to help you lose the weight? All speculation on my part, but its possible. I think the key here is that he may be a bad decision maker.

I will say, these seem to be character issues that were evident very early in his pro career and may have needed to be investigated a little further before cutting a $1.85 million check, but sometimes big money at an early age changes people and this was not foreseeable.

I had a family member do the exact same thing. I think you've summed it up well.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby BrianM » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:50 pm

Sad news indeed.

I do love these game updates though ASU. Keep'em coming! They are much appreciated.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:08 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

i wouldn't call that one or 1.5 months he pitched when he was drafted a season, thats a major stretch

Alright.. even look at it this way. A draft pick who has been in the organization 2+ years hasn't even sniffed LOW A BALL yet.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby ASUTribefan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:36 pm

Frazier probably shouldn't see AZL long this year
in 5 games his stat line is

.450/.478/.750 1 HR 1 2B 1 3B 3 R 8 RBI
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby OhioBaseball » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:03 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:Frazier probably shouldn't see AZL long this year

That line is even better now. Short-seasons stats (particularly in the hitter-friendly AZL) shouldn't be given so much attention, but I think most of us that have followed the draft are aware the guy can hit.

I really like Clint Frazier, but he may have something he needs to work on. Despite that great stat line, he's also struck out 9 times in 29 AB's. I never saw issues with him when I saw him in limited instances, but there was talk about him struggling vs. breaking balls this spring. He had MLB tools last summer at age 17 and looked like an excellent hitter in BP sessions, but breaking balls in rookie league ball can be pretty mediocre compared to what he's going to see in Double-A and above. I think this is the main issue that bears watching with regard to Clint Frazier going forward. I still love Frazier and strongly support the pick over Moran, but Clint Eastwood may have gone in another direction (movie reference)
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:35 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:

That line is even better now. Short-seasons stats (particularly in the hitter-friendly AZL) shouldn't be given so much attention, but I think most of us that have followed the draft are aware the guy can hit.

I really like Clint Frazier, but he may have something he needs to work on. Despite that great stat line, he's also struck out 9 times in 29 AB's. I never saw issues with him when I saw him in limited instances, but there was talk about him struggling vs. breaking balls this spring. He had MLB tools last summer at age 17 and looked like an excellent hitter in BP sessions, but breaking balls in rookie league ball can be pretty mediocre compared to what he's going to see in Double-A and above. I think this is the main issue that bears watching with regard to Clint Frazier going forward. I still love Frazier and strongly support the pick over Moran, but Clint Eastwood may have gone in another direction (movie reference)

Maybe we should have had daingean check out the Peanut Boys at Frazier's games?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:08 am

Rocky55 wrote:
OhioBaseball wrote:

Maybe we should have had daingean check out the Peanut Boys at Frazier's games?

Hahaha!! Funny funny!

Peanut Boy didn't look half bad as a pitcher in that movie, compared to the out-of-shape, unathletic mess that was supposed to be "the next Albert Pujols". Kind of a lame movie, but I enjoyed it...and Amy Adams.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby ASUTribefan » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:32 pm

Fraziers line through 16

.339/.380/.613/.993
18 SO 4 BB 2 HR 4 3B 3 2B 16 RBI 10 R

IIRC the Indians AZL team has a pretty big ball park that guys normally dont hit alot of HRs
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:47 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:Fraziers line through 16

.339/.380/.613/.993
18 SO 4 BB 2 HR 4 3B 3 2B 16 RBI 10 R

IIRC the Indians AZL team has a pretty big ball park that guys normally dont hit alot of HRs

Thanks for the tip. I haven't had the opportunity to come out to that facility yet.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby ASUTribefan » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:56 pm

Jesus Aguliar had 7 HRs in 29 Games in 2010, and Jorge Martinez had 7 in 46 games in 2012, those were the most HRs i could find for Indians AZL league players going back to 2009 or so. saw Martinez only hit 2 of his at home
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby ASUTribefan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:09 pm

Sean Brady starting for AZL tonight, has pitched 7 Shutout innings in 3 games with them so far with 8 Ks to 2 Walks only allowed 3 Hits and 2 of those 3 games were vs 2 of the 3 best teams in the AZL League
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:16 pm

Sean Brady threw 3 shutout innings yesterday, in his 5 starts he's thrown 4 shutouts

5 GS 13 IP 10 Hits 13 K 2 BB 1.38 ERA .217 BAA

have heard he sits in the 92-93 range and his curve and change-up are pretty nasty for a 19 year old fresh out of HS, but there is a reason he was called the most polished HS pitcher in the class
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:27 am

Brady is really making the FO look smart RIGHT NOW. Things could change, but Brady is a very talented kid. FWIW, David Rawnsley of PG raved about Sean Brady and Ian McKinney (Cards) two smallish LHSP in the Travis Wood mold prior to the draft. Rawnsley has a good eye for talent, I pretty much trust who he endorses. That being said, personally I think Brady should be pitching in LC to start next season. There were some serious questions about Brady's signability, I had heard there was about a 70% chance he would attend Florida. His family basically said, meet our price and he will sign, otherwise he's going to college. Obviously, the Tribe found his price within reason, I hope it pays off for them.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby ASUTribefan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:34 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:Brady is really making the FO look smart RIGHT NOW. Things could change, but Brady is a very talented kid. FWIW, David Rawnsley of PG raved about Sean Brady and Ian McKinney (Cards) two smallish LHSP in the Travis Wood mold prior to the draft. Rawnsley has a good eye for talent, I pretty much trust who he endorses. That being said, personally I think Brady should be pitching in LC to start next season. There were some serious questions about Brady's signability, I had heard there was about a 70% chance he would attend Florida. His family basically said, meet our price and he will sign, otherwise he's going to college. Obviously, the Tribe found his price within reason, I hope it pays off for them.

Between Mathews, Crockett, and Brady the tribe really hit on their high LHP guys in the draft so far. for as average as everyone called this draft i guess these guys know what they are doing.
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:07 pm

Thomas Pannone could be a hit too. He has been primarily a P for one yr, and is upto 94 from the left side. At 19, he still plenty of time to develop. Crockett was a bit of high profile LHRP, with the expectancy he would sign and move quickly. Mathews is another guy that hasn't really been used primarily as a P. At age 20, he is still young enough to develop. Obviously, the Tribe mixed a few polished guys (Crockett, Brady) with a few raw prospects (Mathews, Pannone). Thing is the results are early but they don't look bad so far.

Oh, and Matt Whitehouse appears to be pitching well at MV. I kind of forgot about him as a lower draft pick, but he has been productive. Maybe they found another LH arm there too.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:16 am

With Brady, Kime (a given considering the investment) and already Lugo, Mathews, Whitehouse pushing for A-Ball there's kind of a log jam building for SP spots for the 2014 full season rosters. Columbus and Akron slots are already packed without the obligatory 1 or 2 vet guys they love to sign and clog the system with.

So it's 10 A-Ball SP spots left for

Colon (should open at A+)
Pasquale (improving in A+, but low priority, should be moved back to BP)
Peoples (same as Pasquale)
Merritt (should open at A+, repeat LC at worst)
Baker (same as Merritt)
Sisco (was a high pick, should get another shot to start at LC I guess)
Aviles (LC repeat or BP?)
DeJesus (probably lost his spot, move to BP or even cut?)
Lugo (would like to see him jump straight to A+, but he's a lock for LC)
Kime (LC or Carolina, a lock)
Brady (100% LC)
Mathews (should open at LC)
Hamrick (don't see them keep him another year in MV)
Whitehouse (maybe he's Crockett-light, but would like to see him tried as a SP first)
Sulser (too good to ignore, but low priority and probably stays in BP/LR)
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:46 am

If the Tribe has enough 'priority' pitchers, I wonder if they will go with multiple piggy-back situations...
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:32 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:If the Tribe has enough 'priority' pitchers, I wonder if they will go with multiple piggy-back situations...

Looks like they might have to early on anyways. Good problem to have...but injuries always occur that thin the herd.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby BrianM » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:16 pm

Tondo wrote:With Brady, Kime (a given considering the investment) and already Lugo, Mathews, Whitehouse pushing for A-Ball there's kind of a log jam building for SP spots for the 2014 full season rosters. Columbus and Akron slots are already packed without the obligatory 1 or 2 vet guys they love to sign and clog the system with.

So it's 10 A-Ball SP spots left for

Colon (should open at A+)
Pasquale (improving in A+, but low priority, should be moved back to BP)
Peoples (same as Pasquale)
Merritt (should open at A+, repeat LC at worst)
Baker (same as Merritt)
Sisco (was a high pick, should get another shot to start at LC I guess)
Aviles (LC repeat or BP?)
DeJesus (probably lost his spot, move to BP or even cut?)
Lugo (would like to see him jump straight to A+, but he's a lock for LC)
Kime (LC or Carolina, a lock)
Brady (100% LC)
Mathews (should open at LC)
Hamrick (don't see them keep him another year in MV)
Whitehouse (maybe he's Crockett-light, but would like to see him tried as a SP first)
Sulser (too good to ignore, but low priority and probably stays in BP/LR)

Its kind of depressing that both Mitch Brown and Dillon Howard were left off this list. I have already accepted the Howard failure (too bad we couldn't reel in Dillon Peters), but seeing Mitch Brown's line in the box score every week just makes me cringe. Was his control/command supposed to be this poor coming out of high school, or is he just having some problems adjusting to a new league?

2011's draft is actually starting to look great, and this most recent draft class is also bringing a nice early return, but the 2012 class has been underwhelming. I put a much greater emphasis on this class because we basically gave up our first round pick in order to acquire higher upside players throughout the rest of the draft. IMO, the success of this class will depend on Brown, Lovegrove, Baker, and McClure. It's still very early, and Baker and Lovegrove have shown some positive signs, but unless one of these guys becomes a major leaguer, this draft will probably be labeled a dud.

Sorry to get off topic, but Brown's Performance has been quite frustrating.

Those predictions look pretty accurate to me Tondo. I was gonna ask why you excluded Lovegrove, but with this depth, I don't expect any of our younger arms to be rushed. The Scrappers should have a much more interesting team next year.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:52 pm

Sean Brady in 7 Starts in the AZL League has a 1.80 ERA with 20 IP 16 K 3 BB .215 BAA
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby ASUTribefan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:48 pm

Francisco Mejia is having a nice season as a 17 year old, hitting almost .280 with a .330 OBP and .511 SLG

Grofy Cruz the kid who had alot of buzz about his power doesn't seem to be looking to well in the DSL, only hitting .226 with a .265 OBP and .276 SLG he's also not listed as big as he was when we signed him (2 inches, 20 pounds smaller)
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby ASUTribefan » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:53 am

Sean Brady went 4 IP giving up 2 ER 4 K

He now has an ERA of 2.25 in 28 IP (9 Starts) 23 H 7 ER 2 HR 5 BB 26 K 1.00 WHIP

What i heard last night he's pretty advanced, he throws alot of strikes, he can throw both sides of the plate, i had heard he's getting frusterated being on a pitch count and just wants to pitch but hey thats how the indians work. it sounds like his changeup looks like a 12-6 sometimes when he gets it going but his curve is nasty. the person i talked with is a scout and goes to alot of AZL games who i went to college with, he's seen Bradys last 2 starts and says Brady can hit 95 but he only tries to stay 91-93, thinks Brady might stay in the 93-95 range and could get up to 97 as a high but we'll see. He thinks Francisco Meija is going to be pretty good, very solid as a catcher and is picking up the hitting part of the game pretty fast. Said Frazier is blazing fast, maybe on Drew Stubbs level, but said his D in general just needs a pretty good amount of work. said he's really working on hitting curveballs in BP. Mitch Brown has pretty bad control issues, gets behind alot and then forces things down the middle of the plate which get hammered. Kieran Lovegrove is inconsistent right now, sometimes he looks like an ACE, sometimes he looks like he's Carrasco part 2.
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby danh8 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:26 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:Sean Brady went 4 IP giving up 2 ER 4 K

He now has an ERA of 2.25 in 28 IP (9 Starts) 23 H 7 ER 2 HR 5 BB 26 K 1.00 WHIP

What i heard last night he's pretty advanced, he throws alot of strikes, he can throw both sides of the plate, i had heard he's getting frusterated being on a pitch count and just wants to pitch but hey thats how the indians work. it sounds like his changeup looks like a 12-6 sometimes when he gets it going but his curve is nasty. the person i talked with is a scout and goes to alot of AZL games who i went to college with, he's seen Bradys last 2 starts and says Brady can hit 95 but he only tries to stay 91-93, thinks Brady might stay in the 93-95 range and could get up to 97 as a high but we'll see. He thinks Francisco Meija is going to be pretty good, very solid as a catcher and is picking up the hitting part of the game pretty fast. Said Frazier is blazing fast, maybe on Drew Stubbs level, but said his D in general just needs a pretty good amount of work. said he's really working on hitting curveballs in BP. Mitch Brown has pretty bad control issues, gets behind alot and then forces things down the middle of the plate which get hammered. Kieran Lovegrove is inconsistent right now, sometimes he looks like an ACE, sometimes he looks like he's Carrasco part 2.

thanks for passing along ...very informative..
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby OhioBaseball » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:53 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:Said Frazier is blazing fast, maybe on Drew Stubbs level, but said his D in general just needs a pretty good amount of work. said he's really working on hitting curveballs in BP.

He really does need work on the curveballs. With some guys (like Joey Gallo) you expect lots of K's because their swings are so long, but Frazier has a short swing. Given how many times he's struck out this year, he apparently does have issues with hitting curveballs and/or pitch recognition which is a really big concern b/c he's only going to face far better spun breaking balls as he moves up the minor leagues. I still really like Frazier and it appears he's done better on contact over the last week or two, but this is probably the primary concern with him. Frazier is very talented, but there's a long list of very talented athletes that did nothing in MLB b/c they couldn't hit curveballs. He's got a great work ethic, so that's a positive. I'm glad to hear he's working on it. Still a great prospect

Thanks for sharing
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby ASUTribefan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:05 pm

Sean Brady finished with a ERA under 2 and a WHIP under 1, this kid might be our best pitching spec
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:01 pm

Arizona Fall League Stars Game will be broadcast on MLB Network at 8 tonight.. fyi...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Next

Return to Indians Prospect Talk