RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2013 Predictions

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

2013 Predictions

Postby daingean » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:30 am

Breakout per level:

Columbus: Gomes (basically at AAA just picking guy that takes biggest step forward)
Akron: Moncrief
Carolina: Myles
Lake Cty: Nelson Rodriguez

Feller Award: Danny Salazar
Boudreau Award: Francisco Lindor - really looked good in the brief outings in ST, predicting promotion to Akron around June 20
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Re: 2013 Predictions

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:18 pm

daingean wrote:Breakout per level:

Columbus: Gomes (basically at AAA just picking guy that takes biggest step forward)
Akron: Moncrief
Carolina: Myles
Lake Cty: Nelson Rodriguez

Feller Award: Danny Salazar
Boudreau Award: Francisco Lindor - really looked good in the brief outings in ST, predicting promotion to Akron around June 20

Dont know if I see that move. It always comes down to spot to play at next level and who fills in the vacated place.
Ronny Rod (& and some Jose Ramirez) covers the SS role in Akron this year. Unless Ronnie (or Diaz at AAA) gets moved in a trade or injured for remainder of the year, I doubt Lindor gets moved up. Dont see Lindor getting moved up to sit on the AA bench.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:45 pm

In baseball there are always openings be it injuries, promotions, demotions, trades...... I think there will be an opening (maybe not a middle infield opening) and Lindor will be brought up to play SS. If this happens, R-Rod will play multiple positions like SS, 2B, DH, 3B, OF. R-Rod is a priority but Lindor is THE priority. I just think the Indians will move Lindor up whenever he is ready.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks for opening the topic. I'll throw out some predictions. Of the prospects the Indians currently have in their system, I believe 3 of them will make top 100 prospect lists (consensus of major publishers) at the end of the year. Specifically, these prospects are;

Francisco Lindor. I think his bat is underestimated. I believe when we look back at Lindor's minor league career, his 2012 offensive production will be relatively weak compared to other seasons. We know he can play D, but I think he can swing the bat well, too. I predict he'll be around 10th overall at the end of the year in terms of all minor league prospects. I'd like to give a shout out to Rocky on this one, b/c back in the spring of 2011 he was talking Lindor up before anybody was talking about him as a top amateur prospect.

Jose Ramirez. I admit I haven't really seen him and the short clips I've seen of him aren't that impressive, but he's a guy that is easy to overlook. I get the sense that he's got a very good baseball intelligence and skill-set with a quick bat, good plate discipline. I can't help but think Jose Altuve potential here. I see him being ranked between 50th and 55th overall at the end of the year. I realize it's a bullish call, but the fact that the Indians have him in Akron already demonstrates that they may think they've got something special in him.

Dorssys Paulino. I think people will need to re-calibrate their expectations of his offensive potential after this year. I think he'll hit, but the expectations are too high on this guy. I see his offensive potential as more Ronnie Belliard than Miguel Tejada. I think he'll be ranked between 80th and 85th at the end of the year. Good, not great prospect.

I don't think we'll see Tyler Naquin or Mitch Brown make top 100 lists at the end of the year (on a consensus basis). I don't think Brown has the upside (he's a 3 starter ceiling type) to garner the national attention to make top lists -- he'll need to build more of a resume of good pitching over two years before he makes top 100 lists, but he's got an outside shot of being on those lists at the end of the year. I know Naquin hit his first pro HR last night, but I don't think he'll get more than 7 bombs this year and unless he bats .300 with 70+ walks, I don't see him making the top 100 lists. Danny Salazar is also a candidate.

The Indians could get another top 100 guy through the draft with their 5th overall pick. I favor Mark Appel, Clint Frazier and Jonathan Gray with that pick and I believe all of those guys will be top 100 at the end of the year...very likely all are top 50 at this point, in my opinion. I'd venture the following guesses for end of season overall prospect rankings; Mark Appel 15-20, Clint Frazier 20-25, Jonathan Gray 35-40 (though I'd personally have Gray ranked higher)

Under the radar prospect; I don't expect this guy to make any top 100 lists, or even top 10 Indians lists at the end of the year, but Jordan Smith intrigues me. Good size, good contact numbers, fair power numbers, good hitting last year. He could be a guy that grinds his way up the minors without ever really garnering much attention, but all sudden (4 years from now) you realize you've got a guy you can plug into a MLB roster as a corner OF/1B type that will give you .275 with 15-20 HR's. Not high impact, but paying the league minimum on that kind of production has some real value to a MLB team like Cleveland.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:22 pm

I predict we see Lindor in AA too but not til later in the year.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:26 pm

Here's a quick breeze through...
AAA - Yan Gomes becomes a solid UTL / Backup C...later in the yr / next yr. he solidifies a spot. May replace Raburn late in yr.
AA - Jose Ramirez could he possibly beat Lindor to the show?
A - Cody Anderson / Michael Goodnight solidify their roles throughout the yr. Anderson top 15 prospect next yr hits Akron late in the yr. Goodnight becomes another pen option for the Tribe later this yr...as he hits AA and potentially AAA this yr late.
A - Nelson Rodriguez / Dylan Baker both have breakout campaigns. Baker moves up to Carolina late in the yr. EDIT: Eric Haase flashes potential of an everyday C.
Last edited by homerawayfromhome on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:42 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:AA - Jose Ramirez could he possibly beat Lindor to the show?

Or is he trade bait....
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:04 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:AA - Jose Ramirez could he possibly beat Lindor to the show?

Or is he trade bait....

Hmmm... I'll just say I've thought the same.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:13 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:

Or is he trade bait....

Just saying, where does he fit? I mean if a player forces the issue, you find a spot for him, and generally these things have a way of working themselves out. Also not sure how he's thought of around the league, so I don't have a proper gauge on what kind of value he has.
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:10 am

GoTribe028 wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:

Or is he trade bait....

Just saying, where does he fit? I mean if a player forces the issue, you find a spot for him, and generally these things have a way of working themselves out. Also not sure how he's thought of around the league, so I don't have a proper gauge on what kind of value he has.

A lot of people love the bat from what I hear. He gets a lot of Jose Altuve (Astros) comparisons. Personally, I think his bat can, rather will eventually play at the big league level, but his size (frame) is concerning... I'm not sure what the Tribe signed him for, but if there's no big ties ($$$) invested in him I think he's a bit more movable. At least that's how a lot of clubs operate, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him traded later in the yr in a pkg deal to get some SP.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Return to Indians Prospect Talk