RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Official 2012 Akron Aeros thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Official 2012 Akron Aeros thread

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:36 pm

It's that time of the year again.....time to get these threads started to talk about the games and players.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: Official 2012 Akron Aeros thread

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:30 pm

Looking forward to heading over to the Barley House (Shepard's Pie is as good as it gets in Akron) a week from Saturday when my Trenton Thunder / Yankee friends come to town.. New season.. new hope.. See ya at the Canal Street..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby martyinnewyork » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:31 pm

Weglarz o-10 with 7 K's.... OUCH!!!
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:21 pm

martyinnewyork wrote:Weglarz o-10 with 7 K's.... OUCH!!!

I can only hope that Nick is pressing......
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ClevelandBlues » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:29 am

With Goedert, Fedroff, Neal, Espino, Berger and Langwell on the roster, the 2012 Aeros look a lot like the 2011 Columbus Clippers. Add in AA vets like Weglarz, Diaz, Chen, McFarland, Wright and Price and this is a very experienced AA team. I was worried the offense might not be any good at Akron this year, but with all the veterans on this team I no longer think that will be the case. I do feel a little bad for Goedert though. Not sure if he is major league ready or ever will be, but I think he has proven that he already knows how to hit AA pitching. It has to be disheartening for him to start at Akron for the fourth year in a row.
ClevelandBlues
Draft Prospect

Postby ClevelandBlues » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:29 am

Fedroff is off to a nice start. 8-15 with 5 walks.
ClevelandBlues
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:47 am

Beautiful day at Canal Park Sunday.. Warm and breeezy.. Not much offense to speak of, but a competitive game.. Best part of the game was the "Kiddie Stampede".. The Aeros are to be applauded for getting soooo many of these little rugs rats to run from the center field fence opening all the way into left field and back to the opening.. there had to be at least 150 to 200 kids making the 'dash'..

As far as player.. Eric Berger can flat out pitch..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:56 am

Akron is an interesting team. Almost nothing as far as prospects go or players that will get a shot in Cleveland, just more AAA/AA depth. Hopefully these guys continue to play well, and for those that are frustrated by being there when they maybe should be in AAA, they just need to remember that 29 other teams are always watching. It only takes one team to like you.

Weglarz is off to a terrible start.....and I am now starting to wonder if this is it. He struggled last year at Akron because of the injjuries, but he is healthy now so there no longer is an excuse. I think he lost some bat speed and is unable to catch up to balls like he once did. Kind of like Hafner after all the shoulder issues. I hope for the best for Wegz as always, but I am losing faith in him and think he is going to be DFAed at some point this season.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:14 am

Any chance the Tribe looks to DFA Weglarz now when he is struggling???
Perhaps there is no risk in him being claimed at all, but I would think it would be easier for Nick to slide thru now and open a spot for Damon to get added to the 40 man in a few weeks.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:35 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Any chance the Tribe looks to DFA Weglarz now when he is struggling???
Perhaps there is no risk in him being claimed at all, but I would think it would be easier for Nick to slide thru now and open a spot for Damon to get added to the 40 man in a few weeks.

I think it's possible that Wegz gets a DFA at some point here while struggling. I'm just not sure it will be for Damon as you'd still need to create a spot on the 25 man roster...and seems like the top 2 guys to go down are Cunningham and Lopez who I believe are both out of optoins (know Cunningham is). If they wanted to send Donald down, then DFAing Wegz for Damon would make some sense....but don't think Donald will get sent down, though would like to see him get more OF work in peronsally, but pretty value to the big league club.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby tribefollower » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:00 pm

ClevelandBlues wrote: I do feel a little bad for Goedert though. Not sure if he is major league ready or ever will be, but I think he has proven that he already knows how to hit AA pitching. It has to be disheartening for him to start at Akron for the fourth year in a row.

Yes, it is still early in the season, but what has Goedert done so far?...played about five positions, reached base in every single game, is working on adding to an eight game hitting streak (with 6 multi-hit games), has been batting .385 with an OBP of .467, and an OPS over 1.000...

How about over say the last 3 seasons?...he has averaged over 20 homeruns per year (about 1 every 4-5 games), has an average OBP over .350 and an OPS in the .900 range, not to mention has been a big part of two AAA World Championship teams...I am almost more surprised Billy Beane hasn't picked him up than that he is starting in Akron this year...
tribefollower
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby ClevelandBlues » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:37 pm

Goedert's bat is way too advanced for AA, but at the same time it is probably better for him to be in the lineup everyday at Akron than rotting on the bench in Columbus. I do see some potential for him to be a Duncan like bench player. I think he could be a very similar bat. Defensively he seems to be a jack of all trades, master of none type player. If he could improve his defense then I think a lot more opportunity could come his way.

I think this is a make or break year for Weglarz. This is his fourth season in AA and he needs to show something. However, I hope the front office is patient with him, because I would hate to see him finally get healthy and put it all together for some other team. I would think any more major injuries would be it for him though. I don't think it would be likely for him to be claimed if he was dfa'd though. Maybe two years ago, but not today.

The bullpen has been very good so far

Stowell 11 k, 2 h, 0 bb, .125 baa in 5 ip
Allen 12 k, 2 h, 0 bb, .077 baa in 8 ip between Akron and Carolina
Bryson 10 k, 2 h, 3 bb .118 baa in 5.1 ip
Landis, Langwell and Price have also pitched well so far.

I do agree that there is not much starting caliber players on this roster, but there are a lot of potential bench players and bullpen guys. I do think that Soto could turn out to be something though. The lack of prospects could change by midseason when the Aeros could have Aguilar, Washington and Wolters on the roster if everything works out. Maybe if we are really lucky we might even have a Jason Knapp sighting.
ClevelandBlues
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:22 pm

I think Weglarz is definitely in line for a DFA, but since the move requires the team to clear a spot on the 25-man roster as well, it is very likely going to be someone on the 25-man that is DFAed. Gotta believe it will be Cunningham. Still 2-3 weeks from such a move and a lot can happen with injuries/performance, and who knows, maybe a minor trade.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby ClevelandBlues » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Weglarz bat has been heating up lately, maybe he is starting to get back his feel and timing.

first five games .055 ba .150 obp .055 slg
last five games .294 ba .400 obp .529 slg
ClevelandBlues
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:52 pm

ClevelandBlues wrote:Weglarz bat has been heating up lately, maybe he is starting to get back his feel and timing.

first five games .055 ba .150 obp .055 slg
last five games .294 ba .400 obp .529 slg

Can only hope. His ship may have already sailed, but it would be nice to see him turn it around with the Indians.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby tribefollower » Sat May 12, 2012 10:42 am

30 ... # of games Jared Goedert has played
30 ... # of games Goedert has reached base

List of ALL Minor or Major League players to reach base in 30 or more consecutive games this year:

Jared Goedert
tribefollower
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Sat May 12, 2012 2:33 pm

tribefollower wrote:30 ... # of games Jared Goedert has played
30 ... # of games Goedert has reached base

List of ALL Minor or Major League players to reach base in 30 or more consecutive games this year:

Jared Goedert

Pretty damn impressive even if he's back down in AA. Love that he's healthy enough to play the OF, something the Tribe was hoping he could try out a while ago.

Not showing the power you would hope (only 2 HRs in over 100 ABs) but I love that he hasn't sulked with the demotion to AA. At some point you have to give him another shot at AAA even if there isn't a huge difference between levels. minor league free agent after the season is he not?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Sun May 13, 2012 1:25 am

Yes, Goedert is a minor league free agent after the season. I don't see him getting rostered or being resigned, so this is sadly his swan song with the Indians. He won't go to Columbus until one or both of LaPorta/Canzler are called up.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby ClevelandBlues » Mon May 14, 2012 2:31 pm

I know he is a non prospect, but hopefully I will get a chance to see 7'1" righthander Loek Van Mil pitch at Akron at some point this season.
ClevelandBlues
Draft Prospect

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue May 15, 2012 7:12 pm

How about the start of the game for the Aeros tonight?

Fedroff, Diaz and Goedert go back-to-back-to-back to lead off the game!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby tribefollower » Tue May 15, 2012 10:31 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:How about the start of the game for the Aeros tonight?

Fedroff, Diaz and Goedert go back-to-back-to-back to lead off the game!

That was impressive! I felt like Erie's bullpen was going to see activity after about 8 pitches.
tribefollower
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Chiefroy » Tue May 15, 2012 10:39 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Yes, Goedert is a minor league free agent after the season. I don't see him getting rostered or being resigned, so this is sadly his swan song with the Indians. He won't go to Columbus until one or both of LaPorta/Canzler are called up.

Goedert has a way of silencing the swan. Maybe he don't need to go to Columbus, but to Cleveland. When Goedert is ON, he's ON....and right now he's on FIRE. Before anyone throws this guy away, I want to see if he can hit ML pitching. He's a righty bat with power and can fill in at multiple postions defensively. He's doing all he can do and no one in the system is doing it better. Maybe we can't see the forest for the trees.

Sometimes these older guys who are considered AAAA types actually come through when given the chance. Just ask Bryan LaHair.
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby tribefollower » Wed May 16, 2012 8:10 pm

Hermie13 wrote:[Not showing the power you would hope (only 2 HRs in over 100 ABs) but I love that he hasn't sulked with the demotion to AA.

I guess he took your advice...3 more homeruns, a triple, a double to add to his 16 extra base hits on the season...giving him the highest slugging percentage in the league at .613

And an update:

35 ... # of games Jared Goedert has played
35 ... # of games Goedert has reached base

List of ALL Minor or Major League players to reach base in 35 or more consecutive games this year:

Jared Goedert
tribefollower
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Wed May 16, 2012 10:39 pm

Some moves coming soon. All I can say.:)
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue May 22, 2012 9:02 pm

Stowell back on the mound for the Aeros tonight.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue May 22, 2012 9:20 pm

Scoreless inning with 2Ks for Stowell - 15 pitches, 11 strikes.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:30 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Stowell back on the mound for the Aeros tonight.

That's good to hear (both his being back & his outing) especially is CC Lee is headed to TJ surgery. There are a couple of guys that have an opportunity to establish/ re-establish themselves on the prospect chart by staying healthy & being effective at both AA & AAA while Lee & others are down.

Rob Bryson, let's get it going. Many are pulling for you.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:04 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Rob Bryson, let's get it going. Many are pulling for you.

Definitely pulling for him. Gotta love that K-rate (10.6/9) but need to get that walk rate way down (currently at 5.7/9). I worry too about his ML prospects with that insanely low GB/FB ratio. He's healthy though at least (knock on wood) so hopefully he can make it to the show and turn things around.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby OhioBaseball » Thu May 24, 2012 3:39 pm

Bryce Stowell; 8 IP, 4H, 0 BB, 17 K.

Pretty darn good so far.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby martyinnewyork » Thu May 24, 2012 10:26 pm

Adam Miller started against the Aeros tonight....
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby nubballguy » Fri May 25, 2012 12:37 pm

On the subject of Adam Miller: Good to see him out there pitching again though I wonder about how it is he is doing so for the Yankees.

After all that both sides had been through with his development I don't think it was ever clear why he left the organization over the winter to sign with the Yankees. Did the FO finally feel like he was no longer someone worth investing in after he failed to impress in his comeback season last year or was it Miller deciding to move on in his own best interests rather than stay in the Indians farm system?

Don't think it was clearly explained as to why he left, just that he did leave and we all wished him luck.
nubballguy
Draft Prospect

Postby Edible14 » Fri May 25, 2012 2:04 pm

I thought it was just because everyone knew he'd have more opportunities elsewhere. Going into the off-season, the Indians were pretty stuffed with both relieving and starting pitchers, so it made sense for him to seek opportunity elsewhere. That being said, given the amount of injuries we've had to this point, he would be nice to have around right now.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Tue May 29, 2012 12:14 am

Miller simply left because he felt he could get a better opp elsewhere. The Indians are loaded with starters/relievers in the upper levels, and they were signing lots of Major League depth, so no guarantee he would have a spot.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby danh8 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:10 am

I'm about ready to say that Steven Wright, the way in which he is now commanding that knuckleball, is very very close to being able to take a stab at the major leagues. This is one of those amazing late transformation baseball stories that I'm surprised nobody has really caught on to ..but, this kid is making some dramatic and impressive progressions with the most effective pitch in the game when commanded, and he's found his command of this pitch. I've been talking to some folks that know the knuckleball, know pitching, and now know what Steven Wright has within him with this ...and it's without question to both of them that this kid is the real deal. Both saying he will definitely be a major league starting pitcher very soon, and will become a very accomplished starting pitcher in the major leagues with what he has... and these guys know of what they speak.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby Edible14 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:07 pm

danh8 wrote:I'm about ready to say that Steven Wright, the way in which he is now commanding that knuckleball, is very very close to being able to take a stab at the major leagues. This is one of those amazing late transformation baseball stories that I'm surprised nobody has really caught on to ..but, this kid is making some dramatic and impressive progressions with the most effective pitch in the game when commanded, and he's found his command of this pitch. I've been talking to some folks that know the knuckleball, know pitching, and now know what Steven Wright has within him with this ...and it's without question to both of them that this kid is the real deal. Both saying he will definitely be a major league starting pitcher very soon, and will become a very accomplished starting pitcher in the major leagues with what he has... and these guys know of what they speak.

As a fan of all things knuckleball, this excites me greatly. I used to think that the Indians might not be a good fit for him given the depth of arms, but I'm thinking Wright may warrant a roster addition after this season if he doesn't get added before then. I thought that maybe Wright wouldn't get his shot here, but things have changed. My thinking is this: David Huff is on his last option year, so either next year he's with the club or gone, and he might be moved before then if he has any value in a trade (same could be said of Slowey). Lowe and Hernandez/Carmona will be gone next year, and the futures of Slowey, Huff and even Jimenez I'd say are in jeopardy. Without additional moves, you could project next year's rotation as:

Masterson, Tomlin, Gomez, ZMac, Someone will be#5 (Huff/Ubaldo/Slowey/FA signing)

At Columbus, you would have Kluber (if he's not converted to reliever), Barnes returning to starting (same), and Carrasco on the comeback trail (it would be a mistake to put him right back in the majors, I think. He'll need some time to find command again, which was shaky to begin with). There's good reason to think that Wright could fit into the mix at that point, if he keeps it up. He could easily become a first option for a call-up.

The injuries to Barnes, Slowey, Carrasco, Adams and Packer have perhaps given Wright the chance he needs. It's still early, and perhaps still a long shot, but it's become a distinct possibility.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:44 pm

Steven Wright loses a no-no with one out in the 7th tonight.... he was at 98 pitches when he lost it, so I doubt he would've finished the game anyway.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:04 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Steven Wright loses a no-no with one out in the 7th tonight.... he was at 98 pitches when he lost it, so I doubt he would've finished the game anyway.

As a knuckleballer the whole 100 pitch count is sort of a non-factor. But it is the minors so rules maybe hard line rules.

danh8 wrote:I'm about ready to say that Steven Wright, the way in which he is now commanding that knuckleball, is very very close to being able to take a stab at the major leagues. This is one of those amazing late transformation baseball stories that I'm surprised nobody has really caught on to ..but, this kid is making some dramatic and impressive progressions with the most effective pitch in the game when commanded, and he's found his command of this pitch. I've been talking to some folks that know the knuckleball, know pitching, and now know what Steven Wright has within him with this ...and it's without question to both of them that this kid is the real deal. Both saying he will definitely be a major league starting pitcher very soon, and will become a very accomplished starting pitcher in the major leagues with what he has... and these guys know of what they speak.

Considering the recent success of Dickey and the longevity of knuckleballers (Nierko and Wakefield anyway) and Wrights own success he has definitely pitched himeself on the scene. Just under Huff and over Kluber as far as ML depth goes. Have to think he makes his way to the show THIS year if he keeps this up, might even skip AAA but that is highly unlikely. Hopefully he is a Clipper very soon.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby martyinnewyork » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:28 pm

Bring Bob Uecker in to catch Wright...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby nubballguy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:53 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Miller simply left because he felt he could get a better opp elsewhere. The Indians are loaded with starters/relievers in the upper levels, and they were signing lots of Major League depth, so no guarantee he would have a spot.

Guess his opportunity with the Indians had come to an end. Seems like a shame considering all both sides had been through but that's baseball, the Indians were looking elsewhere as you say and therefore Miller had to do the same. Thanks for that insight Tony.
nubballguy
Draft Prospect

Postby Prosecutor » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:07 pm

I was thinking the same thing, criznit. With Dickey's amazing success this year the Indians might be wondering if Wright can be the same sort of guy.

There might be a very interesting battle next year for spots in the rotation behind Masterson, Ubaldo, and Tomlin. The contenders shoud be: Carrasco, Gomez, McAlister, Roberto Hernandez, and Wright. Barnes could be in the picture although he's relieving now, mainly because Raffie is out and Sipp has been ineffective.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby martyinnewyork » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:21 pm

Wright has to be added to the 40 man roster next year, correct? The guy is in our top 5 right now in my opinion.... I hope the knuckler debuts in Cleveland this fall...
Knuckleball pitchers are also innings eaters, Wright can help in a big way if the knuckler continues to progress... btw, Phil Niekro was my favorite pitcher way back...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:30 pm

martyinnewyork wrote:Wright has to be added to the 40 man roster next year, correct? The guy is in our top 5 right now in my opinion.... I hope the knuckler debuts in Cleveland this fall...
Knuckleball pitchers are also innings eaters, Wright can help in a big way if the knuckler continues to progress... btw, Phil Niekro was my favorite pitcher way back...

I've heard a lot about the "post-knuckleballer slump" that teams have and seen it. Would be nice to slide Wright into the opening game of a series and put the opponent to sleep for a couple of days. I think that we would just need to have Marson or R. Perez learn to catch with the over-sized glove.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby martyinnewyork » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:55 am

Yeah we don't want Carlos to get another concussion from a flutterball...
Put Wright between (the good) Masterson and (the good) Jimenez and opponents will beg for mercy!
Niekro would send entire teams into a 3-day slump...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:26 am

How about bringing in Hagadone and his 96 mph heat in the 8th inning after Wright pitches the first 7? The hitters would have no chance.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:26 pm

As critical as everyone has been of Nick Weglarz the past year or two, I think he deserves a little recognition for having turned his season around. He's now at .250/.364/.478 through 55 games (10 home runs), and his OPS vs. RHP is .927 for the season. In 23 games this month, he's hit .307/.436/.693 with 7 home runs.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby artgold » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:40 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:As critical as everyone has been of Nick Weglarz the past year or two, I think he deserves a little recognition for having turned his season around. He's now at .250/.364/.478 through 55 games (10 home runs), and his OPS vs. RHP is .927 for the season. In 23 games this month, he's hit .307/.436/.693 with 7 home runs.

I can somewhat agree with you here, I always appreciate when guys seem to be getting a bit better. My concerns with him though is that it seems that this is his 4th season at Akron, however his past couple of seasons were cut short by injury. He has had a very good June, but I am a bit concerned that over 40% of his outs this month are strikeouts.

If he can stay healthy, I still think he has a long shot at having a Matt Stairs type of career, Matt didn't get started out in the majors until he had a partial season shot at age 28.

But it is always nice to see someone look like they might be turning it around.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Prosecutor » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:30 am

Unfortunately, Wegs has been teasing up for so long it's hard to get jacked up no matter what he does. Kind of like LaPorta at Columbus.

Those June numbers are pretty darn impressive, though. Let's see if he can stay hot through July.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby JP_Frost » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:56 pm

Thomas Neal has been raking as of late. Time to move him up?
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby criznit2009 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:08 am

JP_Frost wrote:Thomas Neal has been raking as of late. Time to move him up?

Yes I think so. You could make an argument that both him and Weglarz need moved up. Part of that could be facilitated by releasing Huffman, who has clearly earned his walking papers IMO. Also the release of LaRoche and the trade of Mills should be considered. So - Bump up Neal 1st and then Weglarz, but ideally both at the same time. Transfer Holt or maybe Greenwell to Akron and IMO send Naquin to Carolina. Also a case could be made to bump Aguilar to Akron too and to bump Chen up to Columbus. But clearly it is time to send up Neal.

On an unrelated side note - tomorrow (6/30) is Jesus Aguilars birthday - an Akron Aeros uniform would be a nice present.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:12 pm

I'd like to see Neal bumped up as well. RH hitter that can play all 3 OF spots (might be able to play some 1B in a pinch too). Not really the power guy you want, but could be a solid 4th outfielder still.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Next

Return to Indians Prospect Talk