Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Pirates put prospects through Navy SEAL training

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Pirates put prospects through Navy SEAL training

Postby GhostofTedCox » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:52 pm

So the Pirates have put their prospects through Navy SEAL training which included;
- running on the beach carrying telephone poles.
- flipping truck tires.
- diving into sand piles.

This is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard.
SEALS are trained to go beyond their physical limits, execute a mission, and follow orders.
Baseball is a game of coordination, refined skills, and reactions.

I can almost guarantee the Pirates did this because somebody in their FO saw this on a reality show on NBC.
Thank God the Indians haven't tried this.

Am I missing something?

In the words of Col. Jessep, "We follow orders or people die. It's that simple. Are we clear?"
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: Pirates put prospects through Navy SEAL training

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:18 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:So the Pirates have put their prospects through Navy SEAL training which included;
- running on the beach carrying telephone poles.
- flipping truck tires.
- diving into sand piles.

This is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard.
SEALS are trained to go beyond their physical limits, execute a mission, and follow orders.
Baseball is a game of coordination, refined skills, and reactions.

I can almost guarantee the Pirates did this because somebody in their FO saw this on a reality show on NBC.
Thank God the Indians haven't tried this.

Am I missing something?

In the words of Col. Jessep, "We follow orders or people die. It's that simple. Are we clear?"

Can't say diving into sand piles is something I have Grady Sizemore doing, but the flipping truck tires is a pretty common exercise athletes use for their core strength and endurance. Granted, a lot of these athletes are training for combat sports, either boxing or MMA.

The only real reason I can see the Bucs putting their prospects through that type of training is to weed out the guys who won't put in the effort physically, and see which of them have the mental makeup to endure through whatever comes at them.

Or the Pirates are invading Phillie.

I wouldn't risk the injury myself. I would have to hear their logic behind it to really make a judgement on it though.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Re: Pirates put prospects through Navy SEAL training

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:04 pm

Yeah the running on the beach and fliping tires is nothing that crazy. Good core/leg strengthing and in baseball whether you're a hitter or pitcher that's where the power comes from. Diving into sandpiles sounds odd though.

Guess when you haven't had a winning season since 1992 you gotta try some radical things. Think about it...there are people that will be voting for the President of the United States this November that weren't alive the last time the Pirates had a winning season!
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Indians Prospect Talk