RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Post Draft Top 10

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Post Draft Top 10

Postby PEngle39 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:25 pm

Alright fellas, let's hear who is in your updated top 10 now that the draft is complete. For sake of consistency, i will only assume that the top 10 round picks will be signed.

1. Lindor- No doubter there....
2. Naquin- Underrated pick. Nobody seems to like the pick yet nobody can say why it was a bad pick either. Goldstein called Naquin's hit tool as plus-plus and the best bet to be a consistent .300 hitter in the MLB.
3. Howard- Hope he starts pitching soon.
4. Brown- Plenty of bullets left in his cold-weather arm.
5. Paulino- On pure potential, he's #2 in this organization.
6. Washington- Hope he can stay healthy enough to reach his potential; we had a sneak peak earlier this year.
7. R. Rodriguez- Surpassed Wolters in my book. Still a free swinger but crazy upside.
8. Lovegrove- Deceptive delivery and a lively fastball.
9. Baker- Might be a bully arm but stuff is electric.
10. Wolters- Love the intangibles and toughness to find a way to succeed after rough start.

- No Adams because of his shoulder injury. At best, i think he's now a bullpen guy.
- No CC Lee; see above.
- My last few guys left out were; L. Rodriguez, Araujo, Sisco, Monsalve, Aviles, and McClure.
- I spent a week and a half in Arizona for Spring Training so i got to see some of the younger guys like Sisco and Aviles and think both will be top 10 guys eventually- tools are there for both.
- Wanted to get McClure in there but not really any room; lower levels will be LOADED.
PEngle39
Undrafted Free Agent

Re: Post Draft Top 10

Postby artgold » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:01 am

Kind of tough to evaluate where the organization stands today, but your list pretty much focuses on players who have either not yet played or have pretty limited exposure so far.

I'd have to say that of our minor league players who have been around for at least one full season, I'm having difficulty seeing any who look like likely "plus" major league players, either as position players or pitchers.

I'm not sure the lower levels are so loaded as much as there just is little beyond the lowest levels to view as legitimate "plus" prospects. So in comparison to the upper levels, the lower parts of the system are where we'd hope to find some future significant contributors.

System seems a bit thin at the moment.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby martyinnewyork » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:58 pm

Stephen Wright is Top Ten...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:10 am

Ranking prospects isn't my thing, but I have to believe Stowell belongs on that list, possibly in place of Wolters. Sorry, I just don't think you can get to the bigs with intangibles. Wolters is listed at 165 lbs, he has no power, doesn't steal bases, and nobody is going to play second base for the Tribe except Jason Kipnis for the next five years and hopefully more. Lindor will be taking over at shortstop for Asdrubal when his contract extension is up. I just don't see Wolters as a Cleveland Indian. He looks more like the next Cord Phelps to me - a good minor league player in time but blocked from getting a shot at the bigs.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Tondo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:42 am

Giovanni Soto is easily a Top 10 now...for me personally a Top 5

Unlike most on the list he has actually PERFORMED...something people somehow forget to consider when typing in those hype lists. Soto just turned 21yo, is by far the youngest player in Akron and is a well above AVG AA SP....LHP to boot...he would even be the youngest pitcher for the Mudcats and 1 of the youngest for LCounty too. He has steady ratios, but most impressive is his near 9 SO9 combined with a 1.98 GO/AO
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:04 pm

Tondo wrote:Giovanni Soto is easily a Top 10 now...for me personally a Top 5

Unlike most on the list he has actually PERFORMED...something people somehow forget to consider when typing in those hype lists. Soto just turned 21yo, is by far the youngest player in Akron and is a well above AVG AA SP....LHP to boot...he would even be the youngest pitcher for the Mudcats and 1 of the youngest for LCounty too. He has steady ratios, but most impressive is his near 9 SO9 combined with a 1.98 GO/AO

Hear Hear!

Soto is very underrated. The kid is basically duplicating his A ball numbers in AA, which is a big step for most prospects. Very impressive. He just needs to stay healthy.

I know everyone probably has Lindor at the top, but it cannot be understated how incredibly impressive his performance has been so far. This kid is truly special.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby JP_Frost » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:21 am

1. Francisco Lindor
2. Dillon Howard
3. Tyler Naquin
4. Elvis Araujo
5. Mitch Brown
6. Zach McCallister
7. Giovanny Soto
8. Ronnie Rodriguez
9. Kieran Lovegrove
10. Dylan Baker

- As much as the emergence of Steven Wright is a great story, he's 27 years old and it's not like he's setting the world on fire (yes, the ERA is sparkling, but his FIP 1.5 runs higher and he walks over 4 per 9).

- Barnes should be in there, but I'm not sure what the Indians plan to do with him. Is he full time reliever now? That's how I ranked him.

- LeVon Washington has tons of potential, but dude needs to stay healthy. I had him just outside the top 10 to start the year and I can't justify moving him up based on 25 (albeit outstanding) AB's.

- Felix Sterling dropped out of the top 10 for me. Really like his arm, but he hasn't adjusted well at all to more advanced competition. Hopefully he can find a way.

- Wolters kind of has the same problem as Sterling, and Wolters was less toolsy to begin with. He's a gamer, grinder, etc, but so far it hasn't paid off for him this year and he always had to play above his tools to stay on the radar.

- Cody Allen fell just outside the top 10 for me. I like him a lot, but I think Baker can stay in the rotation.

- I fully expect this top 10 to change. McCallister might be ineligible when all is said and done, and we'll have to see some results out of Mahoning and the summer leagues before we can make real judgement..
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:13 am

It is difficult to select the top ten Prospects in the Indians system especially after this draft & before any of them actually play in real games. Add to this the influx of the 2011 draft class, most of whom signed late (August) and never made it to a club. The names keep getting more and more confused. The overriding theme / requirement to make this list is what each player brings to the table that translates.. that is, what capability / skill set as a future major leaguer does the player bring both now and developed in the not too distant future as ML contributors w/ two caveats:

-Age is a factor.
-Position / versatility is a factor

Without further adieu..

1. Franciso Lindor
2. Scotty Barnes
3. Dillon Howard
4. LeVon Washington
5. Giovanni Soto
6. Tyler Naquin
7. Chun-hsui Chen
8. Luigi Rodriguez
9. Jared Goedert
10. Steven Wright

Alternates/Others: Zach McAllister, Bryce Stowell, Bryson Myles, Cord Phelps, Mitch Brown, Ronnie Rodriguez, Elvis Araujo, Eric Haase, Tony Wolters, Jake Sisco, Jesus Aguilar, Juan Diaz and Dorssys Paulino.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:40 pm

With every day that passes without seeing him in a box score, I'm getting more concerned about Dillon Howard. The failure rate on HS pitchers is quite high, so having some chinks in the armor this early has me a bit worried. If all was well, he'd be pitching at Lake County right now, but he's not.

For a HS guy taken last year, Howard is no spring chicken. He's going to be 20-years old in two weeks, and he's a guy that developed physically at a very young age -- I believe he was throwing 95mph as a sophomore.

Howard was a big signing last year and is an impressive talent -- he was a better prospect than Mitch Brown at the same age. The Indians system isn't strong, so Dillon Howard being M.I.A. isn't helping the state of the system.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby martyinnewyork » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:48 pm

JP- re: Stephen Wright, being a 27-year old knucleballer makes him a baby. Check how old R.A. Dickey is, he bounced between AAA and the majors till just a few years ago. Niekro/Wakefield/Candiotti/Wilhelm also were not consistently good with the knuckler till they were getting up there...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby JP_Frost » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:48 pm

I get what you're saying, but the knuckleballer is too much of an enigma to really rank him in the top 10 right now. Especially since his secondary numbers aren't that great (and I know the knuckleball is difficult to command, which explains his BB/9, but I'm just not that excited).
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby martyinnewyork » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:47 pm

Another problem with knuckleball pitchers is their long developmental curve. By the time they master the knuckler, they are usually in their second or third organization. Do you draft a guy that can be a minor league free agent after 6 years, knowing it may be 8 or 10 years before he's ready to contribute in the majors? They almost need a special set of development rules. I believe Wright has to be rostered after this season. It's a dilemna. But once a knuckleball pitcher is developed, they normally are durable For years.
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby BrianM » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:05 pm

Lindor 14 on BA's Midseason top 50...They are having a chat at 2:15 today. If you have time drop in and ask some tribe questions.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:17 pm

Baseball Prospectus (Kevin Goldstein) released their midseason top 50 prospect list. No surprise that the Indians only had 1 guy on the list and it's Lindor.

They did, however, rank Lindor not just in the top 15 (like BA and Law) but top 10, ranking him the 7th overall prospect in baseball (up from 17 before the season). List doesn't include 2012 picks or guys in the majors, but still some pretty good praise. Behind only Jurickson Profar, Wil Myers, Dylan Bundy, Oscar Taveras, Manny Machado, and Taijuan Walker.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Indians Prospect Talk