RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Official 2012 Lake County Captains thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Official 2012 Lake County Captains thread

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:37 pm

It's that time of the year again.....time to get these threads started to talk about the games and players.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: Official 2012 Lake County Captains thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:46 pm

Elvis Araujo making his full season debut tonight..... 2 scoreless frames with 5Ks so far.

He's gonna be a real interesting guy to watch this year.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:06 pm

I love early season stats: Alex Monsalve has a .214 BA with a .921 OPS, including a .421 OBP. How do you have a .421 OBP while batting .214?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:24 pm

LeVon Washington started the season hot, with an OBP over .500 so far. I'm a big fan, was a big fan of drafting him, hoping like hell he's successful for his and the teams sake. The thing that sticks out so far is his baserunning. He's been caught stealing 3 times already & picked off of 1st a couple of times. He has 0 SB's. For contrast, Todd Hankins has 2 SB's with 1 CS running against the same batteries. Get this kid a baserunning coach. Does the Immortal Kenny Lofton need a job?

My favorite Captains pitcher is Mason Mason Radeke. That's really his name. He's currently: 5IP/1H/0-BB/6K. He'll come back to earth but he'll always be Mason Mason. I love that name.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:36 pm

Washington not in the lineup for the 2nd straight night tonight...... hopefully not an injury!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:29 pm

Washington sitting out his 4th straight game today..... any idea what's up with him?
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:33 pm

Captains Bullpen murdered tonight..... Kyle Blair had the kind of outing that could make a guy contemplate retirement - 3.1IP, 10H, 13R, 13ER, 2BB, 2K, 3HRA.

Jeff Johnson then managed to actually pitch worse allowing 5 runs in just 0.2IP...... yikes!!

Captains lose 22-12..... ouch.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby elrod enchilada » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:12 am

Any word on Washington's health?

Also Tyler Holt at Carolina has sat out for a few games.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:59 am

Washington is getting an MRI on his hip again, having some pain there, I believe the same hip he had surgery on a year ago. This is too bad as he was off to a great start, but if the diagnosis comes out bad, then you have to start wondering about health with him as he just can't stay healthy with his legs.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:21 am

Speaking of Washington, I was just looking back at some old stuff from when he was in high school. He ran a 6.21 second, 60 yard dash at a showcase. That is absolutely ridiculous. I hope injuries haven't eroded his run-throw tools too much.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Chiefroy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:20 am

DL stint with a torn labrum for Washington.
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:52 pm

Chiefroy wrote:DL stint with a torn labrum for Washington.

ugh. Is it for sure the same hip he had surgery on or the other one?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby elrod enchilada » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:05 pm

Jordan Smith came out of today's game. Anyone know why?
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:15 pm

Chiefroy wrote:DL stint with a torn labrum for Washington.

Definitely not good news if true.
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:23 pm

Same hip. Will have an update on Washington in MH on Thursday. Looks like no surgery, but gonna be out awhile.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby elrod enchilada » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:54 pm

Tony--Jordan Smith is sitting out tonight's game, too. Anything up with that?
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:26 pm

elrod enchilada wrote:Tony--Jordan Smith is sitting out tonight's game, too. Anything up with that?

Jammed his finger on the turf diving for a ball....day to day.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby elrod enchilada » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:37 pm

gracias.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby Jamooky » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:32 pm

So, LC is off to an awful start. I know that results aren't necessarily the priority at this level, but c'mon, this start is just pathetic.
Jamooky
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:54 pm

Yeah, they are certainly not winning much. But I look around at that roster and I see inexperience really hurting them. Hard to win and do it consistently with three 18-19 year olds in your infield and another in the outfield.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby JP_Frost » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:09 am

Congrats to Lindor for his first HR in pro ball! Hopefully many more are to come.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:41 am

Lindor is really having a good showing at Lake County. Really interested to see his final numbers after playing in the Midwest League all year. Luigi Rodriguez can flat out hit.....can't defend very well (yet), but at least he has time there. Cody Anderson is flying up the prospect board as well. Lots of potential and upside with him.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:01 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Lindor is really having a good showing at Lake County. Really interested to see his final numbers after playing in the Midwest League all year. Luigi Rodriguez can flat out hit.....can't defend very well (yet), but at least he has time there. Cody Anderson is flying up the prospect board as well. Lots of potential and upside with him.

Lindor is holding together real well. His extra base hits are adequate. The guy has a very good swing and will hit some doubles -- not just a singles guys. Still young and undersized. I can see those extra base hits growing on a year by year basis as he physically matures. Lindor is a baller. Don't think he'll get the power Jimmy Rollins was able hit hit at his peak (both have similar, smallish body frames), but Lindor's D will probably be better.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby JP_Frost » Fri May 18, 2012 11:24 am

The numbers Lindor is putting up as a 18-year old are extremely impressive. The kid isn't just holding his own, he's carrying the team basically. He's a special kind of talent and if he continues to develop like this, he's going to be one of the top prospects in all of baseball very soon.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby timdav » Fri May 18, 2012 5:55 pm

I attended the 11:00am Captains' game earlier this week (Tuesday), and agree with you guys about Lindor. The sound of the ball off his bat is amazing....the ball just jumps off his bat. Don't recall if he's considered a plus-defender...but, he looked good to me.

While the Captains have a number of decent young prospects, it's pretty easy to see why Lindor is the Tribe's #1 prospect. The kid looks special...and really stands out.

Wish I lived closer to Lake County as this is a fun, young team. Hope to get up for at least a couple more games this season.
timdav
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:57 pm

timdav wrote:I attended the 11:00am Captains' game earlier this week (Tuesday), and agree with you guys about Lindor. The sound of the ball off his bat is amazing....the ball just jumps off his bat. Don't recall if he's considered a plus-defender...but, he looked good to me.

While the Captains have a number of decent young prospects, it's pretty easy to see why Lindor is the Tribe's #1 prospect. The kid looks special...and really stands out.

Wish I lived closer to Lake County as this is a fun, young team. Hope to get up for at least a couple more games this season.

He's considered a plus defender; leading up to the draft it was called his best tool. Very fun watching him play.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat May 19, 2012 2:04 am

JP_Frost wrote:The numbers Lindor is putting up as a 18-year old are extremely impressive. The kid isn't just holding his own, he's carrying the team basically. He's a special kind of talent and if he continues to develop like this, he's going to be one of the top prospects in all of baseball very soon.

I think Lindor already is one of the top prospects in baseball. I don't keep up with other people's rankings on the internet to know if there are updates, but he'll likely be in the top 20 overall when those lists begin to come out. He's not really an elite *physical* talent, given that he's small and is not a burner (but runs well), but for a guy his size he's got a great swing with very good extension. Bat speed may improve as he matures, too. You don't see guys Lindor's size or with his defensive ability/agility take the kind of cuts Lindor does -- impressive.

I don't think Elvis Araujo gets a lot of attention, but that guy is a promising pitching prospect. Both are impact talents, as is Dillon Howard (yet to play).
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby OhioBaseball » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:43 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:
JP_Frost wrote:The numbers Lindor is putting up as a 18-year old are extremely impressive. The kid isn't just holding his own, he's carrying the team basically. He's a special kind of talent and if he continues to develop like this, he's going to be one of the top prospects in all of baseball very soon.

I think Lindor already is one of the top prospects in baseball. I don't keep up with other people's rankings on the internet to know if there are updates, but he'll likely be in the top 20 overall when those lists begin to come out. He's not really an elite *physical* talent, given that he's small and is not a burner (but runs well), but for a guy his size he's got a great swing with very good extension. Bat speed may improve as he matures, too. You don't see guys Lindor's size or with his defensive ability/agility take the kind of cuts Lindor does -- impressive.

Wow. Keith Law just ranked Lindor the #11 prospect in the minors. I thought I was quite bullish on Lindor saying he was top 20, but Law is at 11 and BA is at 15 on him. He's getting a lot of love, and he's even gone pretty cold with the bat over the last month. Jurickson Profar is the name often brought up as a comp, and it's easy to see that. Goldstein aptly referred to Lindor as a "Jurickson Profar starter-kit".

No other Indians in the top 50, but that's not surprising. Very good news on Lindor, though. Very positive reception on him so far. I really think there is some more power in that bat, too.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:24 pm

Lindor has just blown the doors off of all the expectations for him this year. The defense has been as advertised, but he has really surprised people with the bat as it has shown more than expected early on, and he's also already showing some occasional power. I agree that there is more power in there...going to be interesting to see where his body and bat goes as he matures. But the Indians have one of the best trade chips in baseball....if they wish to go that route.:)
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:15 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Lindor has just blown the doors off of all the expectations for him this year. The defense has been as advertised, but he has really surprised people with the bat as it has shown more than expected early on, and he's also already showing some occasional power. I agree that there is more power in there...going to be interesting to see where his body and bat goes as he matures. But the Indians have one of the best trade chips in baseball....if they wish to go that route.:)

May be the most interesting story line to follow for the Tribe this summer. Lindor is without question up there in an elite group as far as trade value goes amongst prospects in all of baseball. Hard to envision the Tribe dealing him but we thought the same about Pom last summer. Can't see him dealt for a rental but a guy with some controllability....

And agree completely on his body/power growth. It still amazes me how young he is. Had he from Ohio and gone to school here his whole life he'd have been a high school junior when we drafted him (born in November). Kid very easily could have some growing left (and not just laterally). I believe Peratla grew an inch or two in his early 20s/late teens while with the Tribe. Lindor isn't exactly tiny either (2 inches taller than Mr. 30 HR Jimmy Rollins) so could definitely see the power developing more and more as he grows/matures. Really hoping the Tribe can hold on to him as he looks like a perfect replacement for AC in 3 years...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby toledobuck » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:27 pm

I have seen Lindor play a few times at LC and his bat speed for a fairly small guy is exceptional. I was skeptical about Lindor ever developing any power but after seeing him play a few times I am positive that we will see some decent power (15 - 20 HR potential - maybe more) down the road with him.
toledobuck
Rookie Baller

Postby daingean » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:10 pm

toledobuck wrote:I have seen Lindor play a few times at LC and his bat speed for a fairly small guy is exceptional. I was skeptical about Lindor ever developing any power but after seeing him play a few times I am positive that we will see some decent power (15 - 20 HR potential - maybe more) down the road with him.

He did win a wood bat home run contest at a PG event which tells me the ball carries off his bat well. Guys Lindor's size generate their power from their legs more than upper body. Now the big guys (like Albert P. or Mark McGwire) do get a lot of power from their whole body. I'd say 15-20 HR's would be about right for him once he reaches his potential.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:49 am

The Indians have a number of high-upside shortstops in their system. Hopefully a couple of them develop so we have one All-Star shortstop to replace Asdrubal when he leaves and another to trade for starting pitching or whatever.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby danh8 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:18 am

It's been a fun summer watching lots of these young kids at Lake County developing and coming along nicely this season ...one of the kids that has been opening my eyes of late has been Luigi Rodiguez .. always liked his bat to ball ability, but where I've begun to be surprised by him recently is the pop he's developing with his bat. Never really projected him to have much of a power feature, but he has been starting to bring some power to his stroke and now has eight homeruns that seem to be coming with much more frequency of late as well.. He's a very intriguing prospect that I think will really begin to open eyes and project well moving forward the next few seasons. At High A guys like Aguilar has been steady all year...but now Ronny Rodriguez and Tony Wolters even Moncrief who I love... have been pushed upward at a faster pace and are catching up and excelling as they go deeper into the season ... those kids and then you see this wave of kids at LC in Luigi, Lindor, Myles ..we are seeing bats that even have some solid glove work supporting them as well that can have an impact in a few years in Cleveland... things are looking up and I'm getting excited by what we have in store now that these drafts of Brad Grants are beginning to reach into the upper levels in the next year... Things are changing for the better for the Indians, and I just don't want to see Antonetti do anything to short circuit what Grant has working ...

If we do anything, begin clearing out the AAAA clutter this organization just loves to collect at AAA and our major league bench...and stop road blocking players that we draft and develop with other organizations AAAA garbage ..lets move these kids up, improve the morale that gets these kids struggling mightily when they feel they are getting blocked by filler that shouldn't matter to this organization nearly as much as our own homegrown kids..
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:22 pm

Captains were two outs from being on the wrong end of a combined perfect game tonight.

Ended up getting 3 singles in the 9th, but still shutout.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby martyinnewyork » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:43 pm

Hernandez had 9 K's today but gave up four taters ...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Return to Indians Prospect Talk