RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2012 Draft Prospects

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

2012 Draft Prospects

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:49 pm

I think the college crop at the top is weak. MLB teams signing HS guys overslot the last few years has really hurt college baseball. I think there are a few good college prospects out there but I think the talent is heavily concentrated toward the HS ranks.

I did an upside and realistic outcome thing at the end of each prospect. Realistic outcome assumes good health for all prospects. Order of prospects is not ranking of prospects. Certainly not an exhaustive list; there are lots of other guys, I just don't have the time to write about all of them.

I'm not a subscriber to BA or PG or anything and I am not talking to any scouts or anything, so this is pretty much my opinion so there could be some disagreement between what you read here and what you read elsewhere.

Lucas Giolito – HS RHP, California – This is an EXTREMELY talented young pitcher with Strasburg-like potential. Big, tall, very nice loose athleticism with very good arm speed and projection. He was very comfortably 91-96mph with a tailing fastball on very low effort at the Aflac game. Mind you, he still has a great deal of physical projection left so this is a guy that could comfortably pitch at 95-99mph at physical maturity without much imagination. He also has a very good curveball that is well spun. His delivery is pretty simplistic right now; you can kind of tell he’s still getting used to how big he is (likely recently grew quite a bit), but he still shows good command. This guy unquestionably has the potential to be a future ace. This guy is going to get PAID next June should he stay healthy.

Potential – Stephen Strasburg
Realistic Outcome – Front of the rotation, 200+ IP, very high velocity 1-2 starter

Lance McCullers – HS RHP, Florida – Very strong armed pitcher with very good athleticism. Could be an early pick as a 3b, too. His velocity is comparable to Giolito’s, but McCullers does it with more effort and also doesn’t have the projectability Giolito has. He’s hit upper 90s as a sophomore and junior, so triple-digits may not be too far off. He’s an early maturer-type that was throwing mid 90s early in his career. Scouts may question how much more he can improve, but throwing 90-96mph with movement and a good curveball already, he doesn’t need much more stuff. His arm action is long in the back and he’s a little high on the effort side, and I think his command may struggle at times b/c there’s some moving pieces in his delivery, but he’s an excellent athlete and may be able to overcome it. He’s reminds me of Josh Beckett with a lower arm slot.

Potential – Josh Beckett
Realistic Outcome – A #2 starter that combines brilliance with command struggles. Could be a dominant back-end reliever, too.

Nick Williams – OF Georgia – Potentially a very good power speed offensive player with plus range in the outfield. He’s got a big, strong, well proportioned athletic frame that should add strength well as he matures. The in-game power probably isn’t all there yet, but this is a guy that should gradually add power in his early to mid to late 20s. He’s potentially a 20HR, 50 SB guy by the time he’s 25-26 years old. His arm isn’t a plus tool at the major league level, and I think will probably be a touch or two below average at the major league level in center. He’s a Jacoby Ellsbury, Carl Crawford-type player but actually has a bigger frame. Very interesting set of power potential, clear plus ML speed and physical projection. Adding muscle won’t slow him down much. Definite top 10 overall talent.

Potential – Jacoby Ellsbury (2011 version)
Realistic Outcome - .280 hitter, 10-15 HR’s, 40 stolen base kind of player.

Max Fried – HS LHP, California – The Indians will be drafting in the middle of the 1st round, and that’s about where I think Fried will go. I really like this guy as a middle 1st rounder. I think Fried is a Cole Hamels-type at 6’3”, 175 lbs with some projection left and already consistently being 90-92mph. Fried is a good athlete with long arms, good over-the-top downhill leverage that helps him with a potentially plus curveball. Fried is a good athlete with a quick, loose arm that could be consistently 92-95 mph with physical maturity and a plus major league LHP curveball. Does not have the obvious ace potential Giolito has, but could be a good #2 starter.

Potential – Cole Hamels
Realistic Outcome – A weak #2 starter, strong #3 starter. Doesn’t develop the change of Hamels and is primarily a two-pitch SP. Kind of a more athletic, less physical Drew Pomeranz. Could also be a taller Gio Gonzalez-type with mid 90s velo and plus curve.

Deven Marrero – SS Arizona State – I’ll preface this by saying I think he’s overrated. The college crop kind of sucks this year and its part of the reason why you’ll see him at the top of draft class lists. I think he is very much potentially a legitimate major league shortstop with good actions and arm strength – good, strong body that can handle SS position – that’s all great. At the plate is where I have questions. I’ve seen his swing quite a bit and I think he’s got nice bat speed, good extension – he could be a .300, 15 HR guy in the majors if you just watch him in BP, but in-game I never liked what I saw. He never stood out in the games I’ve watched him, and throughout his sophomore season at ASU he didn’t get it done, either. If he kills it with the bat (he has potential to do so) next year, he’ll be a top 5 pick but I’m skeptical on him.

Potential – Above average defensive SS that bats .300 with 15-20 HR’s
Realistic Outcome – Struggles to consistently hit. Inconsistencies. See Jason Donald.

Mark Appel – RHP Stanford – Appel is big, strong and throws very hard and has a plus curveball that is thrown hard with aggressive downward break. His velocity is the easy-type, not much effort in delivery. He’s not an obvious projection type, but he could mature a little more physically. He’s just not a pure pitcher right now. He’s obviously a potential front of the rotation starter, but there are some inconsistencies there. I was never sold on Gerritt Cole, either, but as a physical, very hard throwing college arm he got paid, no matter that he was not a pure, polished pitcher at the college level.

Potential – Ace of the staff that can eat innings.
Realistic Outcome – I can see him struggling. Pitchability isn’t on his business card right now. I remember feeling similar on Mike Pelfrey when he was in college. I never really bought into Pelfrey back then, and I can see Appel turning out similar to him.

Byron Buxton – HS CF, Georgia – This guy was the clear stand-out at the Under Armour Game in Chicago last month. Right now, physically he looks like a major league player with a great body, athleticism, speed and throwing arm. I only saw him take a few at bats, but to me he looked good and was able to put good swings on pretty decent pitches. He’s not a full-time baseball player, so I was surprised to see him do so well vs. good competition. Buxton is a 5-tool type that is there pretty much right now – no projection necessary, although I’d like to see him take more swings with the bat.

Joey Gallo – HS 3b/1b/rf, Nevada – Gallo is a very interesting prospect with a very intriguing set of power tools and physical projection. At 6’5”, 200 lbs, he’s got long-limbs and a strong body; his power potential is obvious. I liken him to a left-handed, Richie Sexson-type with considerably better athleticism (particularly throwing). He’s not just a power hitter, the guy is quite athletic with very good arm strength, loose athleticism and I think he’s an adequate runner, although as he physically matures he’s probably going to slow and the outfield will probably be out of the question as a defensive position. Ideally, he’ll work out as a 3b; he’s got the arm strength to hang there, but I’m not sure he’s got the pure infield skills and as he physically matures, he’s going to gain more muscle and it’s going to be harder and harder to handle the position – as I think about it, he’s kind of a Jim Thome-type, but with considerably better arm strength. I think he’ll eventually be a 1b, but he’s absolutely got the power potential to be a legit force there.

Potential – A 40 HR, .280 batter that plays a competent 3b.
Realistic Outcome – Perennial 30-35 HR 1b that bats .265-.275

Jesmuel Valentin – HS SS, Florida – Very slick, quick, pure infield skills at SS. His body is kind of physically mature already; kind of compact and strong right now. Won’t grow much. He’s potentially a good defensive up the middle defender with good gap power (10-15 HR potential in the majors). Slightly above average runner. His tools and projection won’t blow you away, but this guy is a good baseball player although I don’t think he’s an impact kind of talent.

Potential – Asdrubal Cabrera SS type. No flashy tools, but a solid player that could unpredictably turn gap power to HR power.
Realistic Outcome – Bottom half MLB SS or 2B.

Michael Zunino – c/3b/rf Florida – Very nice power tools here with a strong, athletic body and surprisingly Zunino can run pretty well, too, but the more he plays C the more that speed will relinquish in the future. He can stay at catcher; I list 3b and RF just b/c I think hes got the tools to play those positions. Zunino proved himself in the very, very top conference in baseball last year and given his tools, he’s obviously a first round candidate. Athletically, he’s surprisingly quick behind the plate so the D is good. I noticed he can be a bit pull-conscious and he’s got some holes in his strike zone coverage, making him prone to striking out a bit. This is a guy that could be on the Indians radar, as I see him as a 10-20th overall guy, right where the Indians will be picking next year.

Potential – a .280, 25 HR catcher that plays a major league average, or slightly better, defense.
Realistic Outcome – Mike Napoli

Michael Wacha – RHP Texas A&M – There’s always one of these SP types in college ball, but I like him. He’s got a nice ¾ slot that gives him nice leverage to get nice sink and tail on his fastball and he’s got a nice breaking ball, too. He’s a really good athleteArm speed is good and there is still a fair amount of projection left to his body. Could be a 90-95mph guy with good fastball movement, a good curve and change. Not a front of the rotation type, but could be a solid 3.

Potential – A good #2 starter
Realistic Outcome – A very nice, solid 3 or (strong) 4 starter

Kevin Gausman – RHP LSU – I think Guasman is a good SP prospect. He was an interesting prospect out of HS, but ended up in college and is looking like a 1st round pick next year. Like Wacha, he’s got a good pitcher’s body and he’s athletic. Gausman gets very nice downward leverage with a high ¾ slot. I don’t think he’s got the projection left to him that Wacha does; I think he’ll probably always have a pretty thin build although he’s got nice broad shoulders. He’s been pretty successful in the best conference in college ball. He and Wacha look to be 10-20th overall range, though one may sneak into the top ten if a team wants that college arm. They both have similar prospect status to Matt Barnes last year, although Wacha has more physical projection in my opinion.

Potential - #2 starter
Realistic Outcome – solid 3 or 4 starter

Tyler Naquin – RF Texas A&M – It’s pretty easy to overlook him b/c while he’s tall, he does not have a strong body build. He’s got a narrow body and will likely always have below average power for a corner outfielder; he can gain strength but it won’t be much. He’s not a no-tools college outfield prospect, though. His arm strength is surprisingly good so he could hang in RF. His swing is quick and translates well to wood. I could not take this guy in the top 20 overall, but college position prospects are weak again this year and a team could reach for this guy if they see some Dustin Ackley in him, which isn’t a big stretch b/c they have some similarities.

Potential – Dustin Ackley in a corner OF spot.
Realistic Outcome – A good 4th outfielder.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Re: 2012 Draft Prospects

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:55 pm

Back in August, a few days before the Draft Trading Deadline.. when it was "uncertain" but likely that the Indians were going to sign one of Francisco Lindor or Dillon Howard, the note:

One down side (not the only one) to not signing Lindor would be the compensation pick would only be in effect for the next season. If the compensatory pick chooses not to sign, then there would be no further compensation. This can limit the choice the Indians make and it provides the player selected with the compensation pick leverage when it comes to signing. In the 2011 draft, the DBax eschewed 'safety' and went with Archie Bradley, a much riskier pick.. He is a highly talented HS player that may go to college, leaving the Dbax with nothing for Barret Loux, the seventh overall pick in the 2010 draft.
raised the question.. Who would be an early compensation draft player if Lindor passed on the Indians offer. The answers echo what you've presented:

If you thought the 2011 draft was a bit thin at the top, the 2012 draft may be even worse. The Indians would be choosing from a small group of players. Early mock drafts have Lance McCullers RHP, Kenny Diekroeger SS, Mark Appel RHP, Gavin Cecchini SS, Jake Barrett RHP, Brian Goodwin OF, Joey Gallo 3B, Nick Williams OF, Devin Marrero SS, Kevin Gausman RHP, Lucas Giolito RHP and Victor Roache 1B & Trey Williams 3B as the top draft eligible players. Around half of these players are prep stars.

Curious...you've excluded a couple of the players noted.. specifically: Kenny Diekroeger, Gavin Cecchini, Jake Barrett, Brian Goodwin, Victor Roache and Trey Williams.. The first two, I don't think you think are going to be very good..any insight offered would be appreciated..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:13 pm

Diekroeger did nothing last year to be a 1st round pick. He’s strong and has some infield skills, but he sucked last year.

Cecchini I saw last month. At 6’2” he’s potentially a major league shortstop – good infield skills, OK arm strength. He runs quite well. I think people are going to see a 6’2” shortstop and think Troy Tulowitzki. The thought came to mind when I saw him taking infield (even though he doesn’t have Tulo’s arm strength), but he doesn’t have the big body frame to grow into. He’ll get stronger b/c hes got some projection, but when I honed in on him I just don’t think he’s got the strength right now and his frame is more narrow than Tulo. He’s a good player; 1st round type, but not a top 10 guy and more likely (in my opinion) to be in the 20-30 range in the draft. Could go to college, add strength and be a top 5 pick. If Im a crosschecker, I’m looking at him next spring to see if he’s physically improving and/or if he’s got the will to put in the work. Interesting prospect. I would have included him in my write up b.c I got a real good look at him.

Potential – Tulowitzki with significantly less strength (15 HR), less arm strength, probably less D but more running speed.
Realistic Outcome – Middle infielder with 10-15 HR’s, .280 batting average, good on the bases.

I saw a start by Jake Barrett and he didn’t do a ton for me, but will be a top 2-3 rounder.

I’ve never seen Brian Goodwin play.

Victor Roache has big time power with very good bat speed and can crush fastball, but he struggles vs. offspeed stuff. Until he improves in that category, he looks like a future AAAA-type to me.

Trey Williams is a very good talent. He just doesn’t strike me as a baseball athlete. His shoulders are quite broad (you don’t see that trait in many good major league hitters). He may turn out to be good, but sometimes there are guys you just don’t really like as much as the rest of the crowd – Trey Williams is one of those guys for me.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:22 pm

For the sake of fun (before the OSU game starts up again), these are the guys I would have been good with taking next year in place of Lindor (had he not signed). For the record, I'm fine with Lindor signing, but would not have considered it a big loss if the Indians could have drafted (and signed!!) one of the following;

Lucas Giolito, Lance McCullers, Nick Williams, Joey Gallo, Byron Buxton (maybe Mark Appel or Mike Zunino). There are probably a couple of HS guys I'm missing that deserve to be at least mentioned now, or those that will develop this fall/winter/spring into top prospects.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:26 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:For the sake of fun (before the OSU game starts up again), these are the guys I would have been good with taking next year in place of Lindor (had he not signed). For the record, I'm fine with Lindor signing, but would not have considered it a big loss if the Indians could have drafted one of the following;

Lucas Giolito, Lance McCullers, Nick Williams, Joey Gallo, Byron Buxton (maybe Mark Appel or Mike Zunino). There are probably a couple of HS guys I'm missing that deserve to be at least mentioned now, or those that will develop this fall/winter/spring into top prospects.

It's halftime of the game.. when will Ohio State actually start to play.. the QB's are just plain awful.. no touch.. no hands by the receivers.. they just look like a team that can't put together a balanced drive...

The good news.. the defense appears to be stepping up..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:39 am

Really like the writeups. Roache is definately a guy I wouldn't mind drafting, but it's too early to even think about mock drafts.

That said, we're picking 16th as it stands now. I know this draft class is somewhat mediocre, but I'd still like to see us end up in the top 15 since that would protect our 1st round pick. The White Sox are ahead of us at this moment, so it probably means finishing 3rd in the division to get there. I'm not calling for losses, but since we're not playing for anything anymore, getting ahead (or behind, depends on the pov) the white sox would be nice for the draft.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:51 pm

Minus the chance to get one of the top guys like Gioloto, Appel, Gallo, Zunino, et al, some of the guys I like not mentioned so far:
Christian Walker, 1B, South Carolina. Maybe the best college bat out there, a RH bat(which we need), probably available when we pick. Decent power, near 1.000/OPS, more walks than K's. Short for a 1B plus RH. Athletic enough to move to LF if need be.

Buck Farmer, RHP, GTech. Not a 1st Round guy. Big kid who doesn't pitch "tall". Good deception, hides the ball pretty well. Decent FB & Slider, really nice change. Will miss some bats, big & durable. Nice 2nd/3rd Round guy if he doesn't get big helium, which is possible.

Of the guys mentioned I like Gausman better than Appel, don't like Marrero or Barrett. Gallo would be great but won't be there. From all that I've read of Gioloto, he might be the 1st 1.1 RH HSP in the history of the draft.

Don't know enough about the HS guys yet so as of now I'd be happy with Walker or Addison Russell. Russell is tabbed for us in the 1st 2012 Mock on Draft Site.

The Draft is only 8 1/2 months away! :drinks:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:22 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, Rocky. Yeah, Walker could go in the 1st for sure even around where the Indians pick. Adequate tools to go with a very nice bat. The college crop this year sucks, so yeah I can see Walker being an early pick b/c some teams really seem to favor college talent, even when they shouldn't.

For as much as I don't like the college class, there are some real good prep talents this year. I'd also like to throw HS OF David Dahl as a potential top 15 overall selection. Really like his tools; could be an Ellsbury type.

Giolito could go #1. We'll see if his price tag, which I imagine could be quite high, keeps him out of that spot. It's really quite surprising no HS RH pitcher has ever gone #1 overall. If it's going to be anyone, Giolito fits the bill especially if he bumps up his velo this upcoming spring, which is already very impressive, but it could very reasonably be even better through some work this offseason. Excellent upside.

Interested to see Buck Farmer this year. Don't know much about him.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:38 pm

Another note, I can see McCullers falling in the draft if he's projected to be around 3rd overall. I say it simply b/c he's been on the scouting radar for a while now; scouts have known about him for years. That being said, with him being under the microscope for so long, its kind of natural to critique him a little more and he's not the projectable type -- he may be a guy that doesn't look a ton better his senior year than his sophomore year. He's an early maturer-type who may have already achieved his peak physical improvement cycle. (I kind of think that's part of the reason why Dillon Howard fell to the 2nd round -- it was mostly his bonus demand, but I think scouts may have thought there's not a ton of physical improvement left). Just thinking out loud. I'm not knocking either prospect, but at these young ages you look for significant improvement and some guys are more apt to showing more improvement. McCullers may not need much more improvement, but it's kind of the situation where there is relatively more room to regress than progress.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:14 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:Another note, I can see McCullers falling in the draft if he's projected to be around 3rd overall. I say it simply b/c he's been on the scouting radar for a while now; scouts have known about him for years. That being said, with him being under the microscope for so long, its kind of natural to critique him a little more and he's not the projectable type -- he may be a guy that doesn't look a ton better his senior year than his sophomore year. He's an early maturer-type who may have already achieved his peak physical improvement cycle. (I kind of think that's part of the reason why Dillon Howard fell to the 2nd round -- it was mostly his bonus demand, but I think scouts may have thought there's not a ton of physical improvement left). Just thinking out loud. I'm not knocking either prospect, but at these young ages you look for significant improvement and some guys are more apt to showing more improvement. McCullers may not need much more improvement, but it's kind of the situation where there is relatively more room to regress than progress.

You could be right about that OB. I did wonder about his projection to some extent when I saw him at a showcase game in HS. It is much the same concern that was voiced about TJ House. IMO the problem with House has been with his command and not projection but he certainly has not been as good as many people, including me, projected. Howard certainly seems physically advanced for his age and may not have as much projection as less developed players but I do not believe it was the main cause of his fall to the second round. Not much comment at all at the showcase game I watched him pitch in that regard. More about signability. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby JP_Frost » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:01 am

So we're picking 15th next year. That's a protected pick btw, so good news I guess.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:11 am

JP_Frost wrote:So we're picking 15th next year. That's a protected pick btw, so good news I guess.

It's only good news if we sign someone otherwise I would rather have finished at or above .500 but that is just semantics. Next year we start with a 0-0 record.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:30 pm

JP_Frost wrote:So we're picking 15th next year. That's a protected pick btw, so good news I guess.

Agree. Makes me more willing to go after Willingham and Cuddyer (though he may not be an A).

Trade is still probably best avenue, but does give us an easier option to accept in free agency.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby OhioBaseball » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:22 am

It's really nice to have the protected first rounder. I don't know if the Indians will end up signing any Type-A's, but having a protected pick is a pretty big deal. With the Jimenez trade and Kipnis/Chisenhall graduating to the majors, the Indians farm system is about as bad as I can remember it being (after following it for about 13-14 years). They need to replenish this system and, yeah, while they could have just signed some guys overslot in later rounds to make up for the lost 1st rounder, often times you're overpaying for talent in those rounds that other teams felt those prospects weren't worth what they were asking (why they fell to later rounds in the first place).
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:59 am

OhioBaseball wrote:It's really nice to have the protected first rounder. I don't know if the Indians will end up signing any Type-A's, but having a protected pick is a pretty big deal. With the Jimenez trade and Kipnis/Chisenhall graduating to the majors, the Indians farm system is about as bad as I can remember it being (after following it for about 13-14 years). They need to replenish this system and, yeah, while they could have just signed some guys overslot in later rounds to make up for the lost 1st rounder, often times you're overpaying for talent in those rounds that other teams felt those prospects weren't worth what they were asking (why they fell to later rounds in the first place).

Hey OB, isn't it always the case that the farm system suffers when you graduate so many prospects in a few years of rebuilding? It is true that Columbus and Akron will likely be short on high ceiling prospect talent except for returnees from the DL and some pitching but I believe that Carolina and LC will be pretty well stocked with prospect potential next year. The Indians were aware that there is risk with young talent but made them the emphasis of the 2010/11 drafts after a good year drafting old guys in 2009. Whether any of this talent works out in high ceiling potential isn't going to be apparent for another two years so I would not give up on the young guys for a while. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:16 am

OhioBaseball wrote:It's really nice to have the protected first rounder. I don't know if the Indians will end up signing any Type-A's, but having a protected pick is a pretty big deal. With the Jimenez trade and Kipnis/Chisenhall graduating to the majors, the Indians farm system is about as bad as I can remember it being (after following it for about 13-14 years). They need to replenish this system and, yeah, while they could have just signed some guys overslot in later rounds to make up for the lost 1st rounder, often times you're overpaying for talent in those rounds that other teams felt those prospects weren't worth what they were asking (why they fell to later rounds in the first place).

I think the worst was post 2007 season when Masa made the top ten at BA and one and two were miller and lofrgen. Look at the top ten from Tony or BA mostly busts and never weres Sipp and Perez were the only saving grace.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby JP_Frost » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:19 am

mlb bonus baby did a mock a couple of days ago. Had us landing Victor Roache (yes please!) http://www.mlbbonusbaby.com/2011/10/5/2466822/2012-mlb-mock-draft#storyjump

This draft is very strong in terms of prep arms and bats. Especially outfield highschoolers. Not a bad thing for us.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby OhioBaseball » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:35 pm

All this talk about the draft changes, I really hope the Indians don't go the "safe" route. This college class is as bad of a class as I can ever remember. I haven't been around that long, but this is arguably the worst college class in the last decade.

That being said, there's a lot of very good high school talent out there. I don't think Lucas Giolito is available for the Indians -- even if he has TJ surgery I'd still take him top 10 overall. HS arms like Max Fried, Lucas Sims, Walker Weickel -- these guys are guys with front of the rotation upside. Ohio even has a couple first round potential arms in Taylore Cherry (Dayton) and Matt Smoral (Cleveland). I don't really like either as mid 1st round picks yet (although Smoral's size and athleticism are impressive even if the arm slot is unattractive), but kind of exciting even if I don't like in the state any more. Even some potential position players like Joey Gallo, Addison Russell -- these are good prospects that could be there for us. Could be an opportunity for the Indians to build and have their next wave of talent for 2015-2016 or so to supplement Lindor, Araujo and Howard.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:35 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:All this talk about the draft changes, I really hope the Indians don't go the "safe" route. This college class is as bad of a class as I can ever remember. I haven't been around that long, but this is arguably the worst college class in the last decade.

That being said, there's a lot of very good high school talent out there. I don't think Lucas Giolito is available for the Indians -- even if he has TJ surgery I'd still take him top 10 overall. HS arms like Max Fried, Lucas Sims, Walker Weickel -- these guys are guys with front of the rotation upside. Ohio even has a couple first round potential arms in Taylore Cherry (Dayton) and Matt Smoral (Cleveland). I don't really like either as mid 1st round picks yet (although Smoral's size and athleticism are impressive even if the arm slot is unattractive), but kind of exciting even if I don't like in the state any more. Even some potential position players like Joey Gallo, Addison Russell -- these are good prospects that could be there for us. Could be an opportunity for the Indians to build and have their next wave of talent for 2015-2016 or so to supplement Lindor, Araujo and Howard.

Yes.. the High School crop is likely to be about 2 to 1 better than the college crop for the 2012 draft.. There are a few names that just about everyone should be familiar with: Lucas Giolito, Lance McCullers, Gavin Checchini, and Joey Gallo as examples. If any of those four are available for the Indians' pick, I would have no problem with picking them up. They may be gone.. IDK.. but if they are, then there are a number of other names that should be given early consideration with the 15th pick: in this order:Ty Hensley, Kayden Porter and Trey Williams. The Ohio native (Taylore Cherry) is getting a lot of interest as you've stated...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:31 pm

Trey Williams would be a great pick imo.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:00 pm

JP_Frost wrote:Trey Williams would be a great pick imo.

+1
Trey Williams per PG: "Serious hitting tools & big power. Defense stands out." One of the younger guys in the class too.

Smoral, the guy from Solon, is flying up the rankings in a Lindor-like manner. Prolly won't be there when we pick. As an aside, Smoral & Cherry would make a good front court for the Cavs. What are y'all feeding those guys up there?

Local kid down here(Marietta, Ga), Duane Underwood, a hard throwing RHP, sounds good but I'm waiting for a scouting report from daingean.

Addison Russell had been dropping, probably because he's not the flavor of the day. Back on the rise now & up to #24. As a matter of fact, lots of guys in the twenties(Hinojosa, Sims, Barnum, Burr, Poteet, Schmidt) look really promising. We almost have to go HS this coming draft.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby JP_Frost » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:30 pm

The HS crop is definately more interesting than the college class in general. That said, I wouldn't mind drafting Victor Roache if he continues what he did last year. The caveat is that if he duplicates his 2011 performance, I can't imagine him being there at #15.

Adding a HS talent would also accompany our current top prospects well, as they're all in the lower minors. Realistically they're all on different development paths, but in a perfect world these guys are knocking on the door as a very talented and well mixed group in a few years time.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:42 pm

I read a scouting report on Roache that made him sound like Pedro Cerrano. I have no idea if it's accurate or if the guy ever even saw Roache. The stats do make you drool though. Agree that if he duplicates last season & reassures scouts that he can hit breaking stuff he probably won't be there @ 15.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:07 pm

If you look at Roache's Cape stats, he struck out a lot. The guy's tapes show some very legit strength and bat speed in his swing, which is very short to the ball for as much power as the guy hits for. Those K's are coming from somewhere and I don't think its a long swing or impatience (he gets walks) -- assuming he misses curveballs ala Cerrano sounds reasonable. Those K's suggest he'll struggle vs. advanced pitching unless he improves, which he certainly can do. We'll see. The power looks very real.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:56 pm

Saw some vid on Lucas Sims, a HS RHP from Lawrenceville, Ga. One of the mocks I read had us picking him. Scouting report said he touched 98. He seems pretty much a McCullers clone, a 6'2" guy with a high effort delivery. Maybe a future reliever, but I can't say that much from video. Maybe daingean can give us a scouting report. PG currently has him ranked #23 among the '12 HSers.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:17 pm

There's a switch-hitting HS OF in the ATL area named Skye Bolt(believe it or else) who's been on the prospect radar around here for it seems like forever. Supposed to be a good fielding OF with a strong arm. Good athlete, good speed, but not sure if he could stick in CF. Could be an impact bat. Might be available with our 2nd rounder. I've never seen him play except in the vids. Played for East Cobb.

Guys like this are IMO worth considering given our lack of projectable OF talent.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby JP_Frost » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:14 pm

Rocky55 wrote:There's a switch-hitting HS OF in the ATL area named Skye Bolt(believe it or else) who's been on the prospect radar around here for it seems like forever. Supposed to be a good fielding OF with a strong arm. Good athlete, good speed, but not sure if he could stick in CF. Could be an impact bat. Might be available with our 2nd rounder. I've never seen him play except in the vids. Played for East Cobb.

Guys like this are IMO worth considering given our lack of projectable OF talent.

Thanks for the info. Perhaps we can compile a list of players to keep track of. Especially for the HS kids.

I forgot which site it was, but there is one that keeps track of the results and performances (box scores) once the season starts.

Btw, that name alone should get him drafted.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:06 pm

After reading a guy on the MLB Draft Insider blog mentioning(pimping) him, I saw vid on youtube of Adam Brett Walker, RH 1B/OF, Jacksonville University. He's 6'5"/222, batted .409/.486/.682/242AB/23-2B/13HR/35BB/63K. Top 3 Power Hitter & Athlete in the Cape. The vid shows him hitting a HR. Nice short power stroke. Mother was a Natl Champ high jumper, father an ex NFL RB. Did I mention 14-14 SB's? Similar athlete to Austin Wilson(maybe faster) but draft eligible & only 4 months older than Wilson.

Check out the vid on youtube. Kid could have major helium around draft time. Maybe even reach the top 15.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby JP_Frost » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:22 am

Someone else did a mock that had us taking Richie Shaffer. He's an infielder at Clemson. Don't know much about him other than that he put up very nice numbers last year with 13 HR's, and given the drop in power in college baseball last season, that's a good sign.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:53 pm

I like Shaffer. I've seen him play a bunch. He's a surprisingly good athlete for a guy his size with a pretty potent bat. No way I pick him 15th though. Second Round, hell yeah. Just the fact that somebody consideres him worthy of the 15th pick shows the relative dearth of position talent in this draft.

More eidence would be how highly rated Deven Marrero has been. I've probably only seen him play less than 5 times, much too few to justify my opinion of him, but he looks like a future UIF to me.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby JP_Frost » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:34 pm

Christian Walker seems like an interesting prospect as well. Definately one to keep an eye on.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:45 pm

I'm reading a preview of the SEC for the coming season on PG. Very interesting stuff. It highlights the reason I don't like the changes in the CBA re the draft.

A couple of us here were really enthusiastic about drafting Bobby Wahl as a late round flyer 2 drafts ago. He was one of those really high upside HS SP's with which you like to stockpile the system. Well, he struggled with injury & ineffectiveness as a freshman, but after a successful stint at the Cape last summer he's projected to be the #1 starter for Ol Miss. I don't fault the org for missing on him, at least not like I did with Lincecum. We offered a ton of money & he turned it down. In the preview the writer(s) do a short scouting/projection report on the leagues top prospects, including their predictions of which round they'll be drafted. They project Wahl to be a 1st round pick.

The point of this long winded post is that I believe that the late round flyer type pick is a thing of the past. We missed on Wahl in '10 & guys like Sparks, Kramer, & Diemer last year. I'm not sure we'll even select guys like that going forward, minus pre-draft info that they're signable. If they are I'm sure it won't be a secret. Thus, they'll be selected much earlier. Actually, even in the past if a guy like that was signable he didn't last long enough to rate the "late-round flyer" tag. The new CBA takes away opportunities from the smaller market but well run orgs.

I recommend that anyone with a PG sub check this out. Hell of a lot of good players come out of the SEC.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:32 pm

BA came out with their Top 100 draft prospect list last week.

As someone outside of the industry, I don't have a lot of room to rip on them but I think they did an absolutely horrible job. I'm glad I don't pay money for that stuff.

This is one of the WORST college classes I can ever remember seeing, and they've got 7 college prospects in their top 9. I am shocked. I mean, Gausman, Roache and Johnson in the top 10?? I'd HATE to be a fan of the team taking any of those guys in the top 10 overall. Those guys just aren't very good, and I've always considered myself to be a supporter of college baseball.

Geeez Louise. I mean, talk about overrating college prospects. They've got a LOT of very marginal talents in their top 30.

Sorry, guys, but this whole college prospects thing has gotten out of hand. I've supported its rationale in the past, but its gone too far.

High school players have become the new college players (the Moneyball philosophy has reversed). They used to be undervalued, now they are way too overvalued.

Overslot signings of the last few years has killed the talent level at the college level, and BA is STILL putting these guys at the top of the draft class? Wow. Horrible work by BA. Sorry, but its true.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby OhioBaseball » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:52 pm

Rocky55 wrote:A couple of us here were really enthusiastic about drafting Bobby Wahl as a late round flyer 2 drafts ago. He was one of those really high upside HS SP's with which you like to stockpile the system. Well, he struggled with injury & ineffectiveness as a freshman, but after a successful stint at the Cape last summer he's projected to be the #1 starter for Ol Miss. I don't fault the org for missing on him, at least not like I did with Lincecum. We offered a ton of money & he turned it down. In the preview the writer(s) do a short scouting/projection report on the leagues top prospects, including their predictions of which round they'll be drafted. They project Wahl to be a 1st round pick.

I saw Bobby Wahl pitch last summer. I thought he looked good. Certainly a 1st round talent, though still needs some refinement.

Too bad we missed on him. Had he signed and been in our farm system right now, he'd probably be like the 5th best prospect or so, but that doesn't say too much.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:33 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:BA came out with their Top 100 draft prospect list last week.

As someone outside of the industry, I don't have a lot of room to rip on them but I think they did an absolutely horrible job. I'm glad I don't pay money for that stuff.

This is one of the WORST college classes I can ever remember seeing, and they've got 7 college prospects in their top 9. I am shocked. I mean, Gausman, Roache and Johnson in the top 10?? I'd HATE to be a fan of the team taking any of those guys in the top 10 overall. Those guys just aren't very good, and I've always considered myself to be a supporter of college baseball.

Geeez Louise. I mean, talk about overrating college prospects. They've got a LOT of very marginal talents in their top 30.

Sorry, guys, but this whole college prospects thing has gotten out of hand. I've supported its rationale in the past, but its gone too far.

High school players have become the new college players (the Moneyball philosophy has reversed). They used to be undervalued, now they are way too overvalued.

Overslot signings of the last few years has killed the talent level at the college level, and BA is STILL putting these guys at the top of the draft class? Wow. Horrible work by BA. Sorry, but its true.

PG has it's top 500 out(love the in depth, don't know how you can possibly rank 500).
College guys: #2 Appel, #3 Marrero, #5 Zunino, #7 Gausman, #8 Beck('09 Tribe draftee). Twelve of the top 20 are HS kids. Roache #13, Johnson #29. I don't get the Beck ranking(or Marrero) but like Gausman better than you do. I'm hoping for a HS bat but would love to have Zunino drop to 15. Had subs to BA & PG & there's no comparison. BA knows the top guys, even if you question their judgement. Simpson/Rawnsley & their bunch can talk about guys from 10yrs ago who never made it in pro ball. Other than Klima I trust PG more than anyone.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:52 pm

I just don't see that big of a different between Kevin Gausman and Michael Waccha. I may be missing something; I know getting it done in the SEC means a lot, but talent wise I think they are very similar.

Marrero so high is ridiculous to me, but it's not surprising. I knew he was going to be ranked in the top 5.

These college guys are ranked so high just b/c they are college prospects, which is a rationale that has gone too far in my opinion.

Even Mark Appel -- he isn't even that great, and considering Lucas Giolito's outstanding upside, I don't think Appel should be taken before Giolito. I know the conventional wisdom is "take the college arm", but I really think this Moneyball craze has gotten out of hand and it's to the point where we're really overvaluing college prospects, even when the talent has been very noticably diluted by recent years' overslot signings by teams like the Indians.

I've never seen Beck or that guy from San Francisco, so I don't know.

Rocky, maybe you can clue me in, but why is Nick Williams ranked at #42?? He must really suck at hitting during game situations b/c his body structure, speed, power potential, etc. are excellent. His swing needs a little work, but even still, if you can get him in the first supplemental round...that's a steal for that kind of talent!

Thanks for your input. I haven't seen the PG list. I don't have a sub, but I'll check the site for some free stuff if anything's available.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:56 pm

btw -- I agree. Those guys at PG, they know their stuff. I've always held David Rawnsley's opinion in very high esteem. He's the best source out there for us draftniks.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:37 pm

Never seen Wacha(#17 PG) but I've seen Gausman at his best. If he could consistently approach that he's got #2 SP upside. Pretty close to Pomeranz, IMO.

What I've heard about Nick Williams is superior talent & some doubt whether it will translate. Think Donavan Tate.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:17 pm

I know the lists are volatile but as of right now it looks like Stryker Trahan might be available when we pick in the 2nd Round. I've read more than one article comping him with Wil Myers. This kid is a real athlete with the ability to stick at Catcher who could also play 3B or OF. Someone to consider if he's there when we pick. This Draft looks relatively deep in HS bats which is good for us.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:52 pm

I was looking at the prospects at this web site http://mlbdraftguide.com/1/2012/01/29/2012-mlb-draft-prospect-list/ to see who I will get a look at this year. I will get to see these guys early in the season:

Blake Burkett, RHP, West Forsyth, GA
Rock Rucker, OF, Redan HS, GA

I did get to see these guys last year (with the old BESR bats):

Zack Bowers, C, Harrison, GA
Matt Gonzalez, SS, Harrison, GA - crushed a HR to left center to beat us

I saw this guy in the fall:

Clate Schmidt, SS/RHP, Altoona HS, GA - good velocity but I didn't really watch closely

I have not seen this guy but from everyone who has seen him (that I've talked to) say that this guy is the real deal. I've been told he should be higher than Schmidt and should be the top pitcher in the Atlanta area.

Duane Underwood, RHP/OF, Pope HS, GA (Perfect Game has him clocked at 98MPH) - I hear it will be toing the rubber for him if he signs.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:56 pm

Heard from a friend about Dylan Floro, a Jr pitcher from Fullerton who looks like a guy to target in the draft. Pitched Friday against the Gators. Did pretty well, 6IP, 3ER, but 2HR, Preston Tucker & Taylor Gushue(as the Gators reload with another stud Freshman). Floro described to me as a skinny RHP with a 4 pitch mix, sinking FB in the low 90's, good curve, good slider, good change. Looked him up on PG & the 1st thing they mention is that he's very deceptive. My bud thinks he moves through the system fast & projects as a nice #3 or strong #4. He's ranked #212 in PG's top 500 but who knows how high he goes with a good season.

Also for daingean, any chance of seeing Lucas Sims from Lawrenceville?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:32 am

Rocky55 wrote:Heard from a friend about Dylan Floro, a Jr pitcher from Fullerton who looks like a guy to target in the draft. Pitched Friday against the Gators. Did pretty well, 6IP, 3ER, but 2HR, Preston Tucker & Taylor Gushue(as the Gators reload with another stud Freshman). Floro described to me as a skinny RHP with a 4 pitch mix, sinking FB in the low 90's, good curve, good slider, good change. Looked him up on PG & the 1st thing they mention is that he's very deceptive. My bud thinks he moves through the system fast & projects as a nice #3 or strong #4. He's ranked #212 in PG's top 500 but who knows how high he goes with a good season.

Also for daingean, any chance of seeing Lucas Sims from Lawrenceville?

Probably not during the high school season....maybe at East Cobb in June/July....our season started last night...my step-son (HS Jr.) is the starting CF...
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:45 pm

daingean wrote:I was looking at the prospects at this web site http://mlbdraftguide.com/1/2012/01/29/2012-mlb-draft-prospect-list/ to see who I will get a look at this year. I will get to see these guys early in the season:

Blake Burkett, RHP, West Forsyth, GA
Rock Rucker, OF, Redan HS, GA

Rucker didn't play today. Unsure why, possibly still playing a winter sport (i.e. basketball)....

OK....heard Rucker is no longer in school at Redan HS in Georgia.....heard he is at Russell County Alabama.....this is somewhat suspicious because he was on the roster at Redan.
Last edited by daingean on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:28 pm

Posted this on the moribund board, thought I'd bring it over here.

Austin Maddox has completed his conversion to the mound & probably won't play in the field this season. I saw him pitch last year & he has a great arm, sat in the mid 90's with a decent slider. Pretty rough mechanically though. This year I've read that his mechanics have smoothed out, his slider is much improved, & he's showing good progress on his change.

I'm convinced that his arm is as good as any college SP in this draft. He's been strictly a reliever up to now, but if he can get stretched out to say 5 Inning stints, with his arm strength, ability to miss bats, plus the low milege on that arm, he's just about got to go in the 1st Round. Comments?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:50 pm

Victor Roache is out, possibly for the entire season after breaking a bone in his wrist while diving for a ball during a game Saturday. He's scheduled to undergo surgery early this week.

How this is going to affect his draft status is up in the air but I doubt he gets picked in the top 15 if he doesn't return to play & demonstrate health before the draft. You'd have to guess though that somebody will take a chance in the 1st Round based on his awesome power potential.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:09 pm

Rocky55 wrote:Victor Roache is out, possibly for the entire season after breaking a bone in his wrist while diving for a ball during a game Saturday. He's scheduled to undergo surgery early this week.

How this is going to affect his draft status is up in the air but I doubt he gets picked in the top 15 if he doesn't return to play & demonstrate health before the draft. You'd have to guess though that somebody will take a chance in the 1st Round based on his awesome power potential.

It's win/lose situation for the tribe imo. The bad things is he loses out on development and it's harder to truly evaluate his skillset, on the other hand, he should be very signable if drafted with the 15th pick -- perhaps even below slot.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:09 pm

Kid I liked out of HS, Jamodrick McGruder, is off to a great start so far. The texas Tech 2B/OF(SS in HS) is hitting .409/.606/.591/10BB/2K as the leadoff hitter with 8/10SB.

The player he most resembles IMO is Jemile Weeks, another favorite of mine, except that McGruder is faster. Not going to hit HR's for you but a good top of the order, OB guy.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:41 am

Redan, GA OF/P Rock Rucker has apparently flunked out and is now at Russell County (Alabama) HS. He is an Auburn commit but not playing HS baseball at the moment. That is what I heard.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:10 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:Lucas Giolito – HS RHP, California – This is an EXTREMELY talented young pitcher with Strasburg-like potential. Big, tall, very nice loose athleticism with very good arm speed and projection. He was very comfortably 91-96mph with a tailing fastball on very low effort at the Aflac game. Mind you, he still has a great deal of physical projection left so this is a guy that could comfortably pitch at 95-99mph at physical maturity without much imagination. He also has a very good curveball that is well spun. His delivery is pretty simplistic right now; you can kind of tell he’s still getting used to how big he is (likely recently grew quite a bit), but he still shows good command. This guy unquestionably has the potential to be a future ace. This guy is going to get PAID next June should he stay healthy.

Realistic Outcome – Front of the rotation, 200+ IP, very high velocity 1-2 starter

BA and other sources are reporting that Lucas Giolito threw 100 mph yesterday.

This guy is good, and the way he looked this summer, you can tell there is a lot of physical maturation he has in front of him.

I remember seeing Justin Verlander his sophomore year topping out at 98 mph, and given how projectable he was at the time, marveling at the velocity he could reach at peak physical maturation (I think he's been as high as 102mph?)

It's the same thing with Giolito, but his velocity upside is even higher than Verlander's, in my opinion. Strasburg-like.

Giolito is a first class, high school pitching prospect whose talent we have not seen paralleled at the prep level in many years. Very exciting potential, but obviously things can derail quickly with such young pitchers.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:00 am

OhioBaseball wrote:
OhioBaseball wrote:Lucas Giolito – HS RHP, California – This is an EXTREMELY talented young pitcher with Strasburg-like potential. Big, tall, very nice loose athleticism with very good arm speed and projection. He was very comfortably 91-96mph with a tailing fastball on very low effort at the Aflac game. Mind you, he still has a great deal of physical projection left so this is a guy that could comfortably pitch at 95-99mph at physical maturity without much imagination. He also has a very good curveball that is well spun. His delivery is pretty simplistic right now; you can kind of tell he’s still getting used to how big he is (likely recently grew quite a bit), but he still shows good command. This guy unquestionably has the potential to be a future ace. This guy is going to get PAID next June should he stay healthy.

BA and other sources are reporting that Lucas Giolito threw 100 mph yesterday.

This guy is good, and the way he looked this summer, you can tell there is a lot of physical maturation he has in front of him.

I remember seeing Justin Verlander his sophomore year topping out at 98 mph, and given how projectable he was at the time, marveling at the velocity he could reach at peak physical maturation (I think he's been as high as 102mph?)

It's the same thing with Giolito, but his velocity upside is even higher than Verlander's, in my opinion. Strasburg-like.

Giolito is a first class, high school pitching prospect whose talent we have not seen paralleled at the prep level in many years. Very exciting potential, but obviously things can derail quickly with such young pitchers.

More and more of the mocks are torn between Lucas Giolito and Mark Appell.. The following (from Seedlings to Stars: http://seedlingstostars.com/2012/02/27/ ... ock-draft/ ) says this about Giolito:

.. Lucas Giolito. Giolito is a monster 6’6″, 230 right-hander coming out of Harvard-Westlake High School in California. He’s not incredibly projectable, but there’s a lot of things to like with him. His fastball velocity isn’t quite at Appel’s level, but it’s still 92-95 MPH with occasional 97′s when he has reached back for some extra. Giolito’s has greatly improved control of his fastball and gets hitters out with its late down-and-away movement to right-handed hitters. His plus curveball in the low 80′s features sharp downward break and he has done a nice job keeping it down in the zone. Giolito also adds in a low to mid-80′s changeup that is better than Appel’s is right now and could be a third plus pitch for him down the line. And Giolito is three years younger than Appel. That gives him more time to perfect his arsenal, and considering the Astros’ rotation depth, that would not need to rush him through the minors- although as a very polished high school pitcher, he could move fast anyway..
He'll be long gone before the Indians will be on the clock...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Next

Return to Indians Prospect Talk