Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

JD Martin

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

JD Martin

Postby dnosco » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:36 pm

It's official. He signed with the Nationals

If you are a Mirabelli first round draft pick you are destined to just suck or just never do anything with the Indians.

2000: Corey Smith, Thompson
2001: Martin, Denham, Horne, Conroy
2002: Guthrie, Micah Schilling, Whitney
2003: Aubrey, Snyder, Adam Miller
2004: Sowers
2005: Crowe, Drennen (btw, failed to sign Lincecum)
2006: Huff
2007: Mills
2008: Chisenhall

So, for all his first round picks all we have left is Huff, Mills and Chisenhall and, potentially, that's only because they weren't drafted long ago enough to have flamed out yet. I mean, that is suckitude at the zenith of suckitude. Also, not one of these guys ever brought anything back in trade so, indeed, we have nothing from all of them. I can't imagine, from 2000-2004 that there was any worse record of first round picks. I mean, we had 13 FIRST round picks between 2000-2004, 18 between 2000-2008...and we have NOTHING to show for it. NOTHING.

I know we have heard it all before from me and others but, man, imagine what would have happened here had we just had AVERAGE first round success with the 18 first round picks!

Every time one of these guys leaves the organization it just opens the old wounds about how bad our drafts have been.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Re: JD Martin

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:42 pm

I wish JD the best of luck in Washington and with his career. I am miffed he never got a fair chance here over the past few seasons to contribute in the bullpen. I think if JD gets a bullpen chance in Washington, he will surprise a lot of people and prove to be effective.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby artgold » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:57 pm

I had a lot of hope for him when he was selected, but unfortunately he just ran into some bad injury issues and out of opportunities here. I hope he finds a way to put together a decent career though, seems like a hard working fellow who tries to maximize his somewhat limited physical abilities.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Jake Taylor » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:38 am

It's unfortunate, but you can't blame him for attempting to fast-track his way to the majors. He's been in the system for what seems like eons, so maybe he just wanted a fresh start somewhere else. Even attempting to be a bullpen arm, he was still stuck behind a lot of other players. I was always hoping he'd come back and make a difference. Either way, the Nationals seem to love to pick up our injury-prone leftovers. Hopefully they can rebound and our fans can complain about their success later :D
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:43 am

dnosco wrote:So, for all his first round picks all we have left is Huff, Mills and Chisenhall and, potentially, that's only because they weren't drafted long ago enough to have flamed out yet.

I understand your point, but I'm pretty sure we still have Sowers, Aubrey, Drennen, Crowe and Miller too.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:59 am

dazindiansfanuk wrote:I understand your point, but I'm pretty sure we still have Sowers, Aubrey, Drennen, Crowe and Miller too.

ha, yeah I was just about to say that too. And considering Miller is still ranked among the best prospects in the game, can't fault that pick really.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Duane Kuiper » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:01 pm

Tony, any chance you will interview Martin now?
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:37 pm

Duane Kuiper wrote:Tony, any chance you will interview Martin now?

Thought about it. I talked to him three months ago in Akron and did a small piece on him. But, thought about getting him on my show one night. I know Whitney would come on, so maybe sometime in January I will see about getting both on.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:37 am

Just forwarding this along as an FYI as I got this from someone close to Martin:

It was very tough for JD to leave the Indians as after being with them for 8 years they were like family. He is tuly gracious for the way the Indians have been patient with him in his recovery from Tomy John surgery, and he wanted to express his thanks to the Indians fans wo have supported him over the years. He had 13 teams call him on the day free agency started and after a lot of phone calls and researching the situation he felt the best solution for him was to leave the Indians and sign with the Nationals because they offered the best chance to reach the big leagues this year. While he understands it is a business, he did feel somewhat insulted with the way he was handled last year (lack of roster movement for the upper-level relievers....this opinion is shared by many).
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Duane Kuiper » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:42 pm

Another example of poor prospect roster management by the Indians causing them to lose players for nothing.

What's the point of drafting them, giving them signing bonuses, paying for them to play years in the Indians org to have them leave for nothing because they are pissed off?

The Indians prospects probably have a calendar where they cross off the days until they are a 6 year FA.
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:52 pm

I'm not faulting the Indians on this one. This year was his first as a reliever. They started him in Akron and he even got his feet wet at Buffalo. Plus he threw nearly 90 innings this year, which was more than double what he had the previous year and more than the previous two years combined.

Also not faulting him for going to the Nationals. Could break in with them this year.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby carnegie44115 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:12 pm

Yeah if JD has a good ST with the Nats, its very possible for him to be in their bullpen as that 5, 6, or 7 guy.
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby jellis » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:32 pm

I think he will make it the nationals are horrible basically a AAA team
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:38 pm

I don't fault the Indians for not rostering JD. I don't believe he should have been on there. I do fault them though for their questionable use of him last season and not being more proactive with him in a non-contending year to get him more innings at Buffalo or a shot in Cleveland.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:04 am

Duane Kuiper wrote:Another example of poor prospect roster management by the Indians causing them to lose players for nothing.

What's the point of drafting them, giving them signing bonuses, paying for them to play years in the Indians org to have them leave for nothing because they are pissed off?

The Indians prospects probably have a calendar where they cross off the days until they are a 6 year FA.

Yeah, the Indians live to fail! :s_sarcastic
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby dnosco » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:16 am

I think JD is like Casey Blake. He may very well succeed later on in his career. I don't fault the Indians for not rostering him. He didn't, at this point, deserve a spot. You would have had to roster 1 or 2 other guys before you even considered JD and that wasn't going to happen.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:58 pm

dnosco wrote:I think JD is like Casey Blake. He may very well succeed later on in his career. I don't fault the Indians for not rostering him. He didn't, at this point, deserve a spot. You would have had to roster 1 or 2 other guys before you even considered JD and that wasn't going to happen.

Really good comp, I think your right. I would be surprised if martin doesnt play in the majors for 5 years or more
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Duane Kuiper » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:20 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:Yeah, the Indians live to fail! :s_sarcastic

Or maybe they just aren't the top notch guys people had thought they were.

There are plenty or examples of them making mistakes or mismanaging players.
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:11 am

Duane Kuiper wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:Yeah, the Indians live to fail! :s_sarcastic

Or maybe they just aren't the top notch guys people had thought they were.

There are plenty or examples of them making mistakes or mismanaging players.

But many more where there judgment has proven correct. You win the MMQ award. Your error in the case of Martin is egregious. :s_sad
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby osueddy » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:05 pm

It's nice to have the problem of deciding what young quality players to roster. I would be more worried if we didn't have any arguments on who was rostered.

Good luck to JD, I hope that he can be successful.
osueddy
Draft Prospect

Return to Indians Prospect Talk