RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Smoke Signals: Chris Gimenez on tonight

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Smoke Signals: Chris Gimenez on tonight

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:06 pm

Tonight we are airing Smoke Signals yet again on a special night and not in its usual Thursday time slot. The show will air tonight at 9:30-10:30pm EST.

Gimenez will call in about 15-20 minutes into the show and from there we will talk with him about a plethora of topics from his 2008 season, his experience in the Dominican Republic which he just returned from two days ago, his transition to catcher, his versatility, being rostered, his serious staph infection from three years ago, what lies ahead for him in 2009 and more.

In addition to talking with Gimenez, Paul and I will discuss some topics surrounding the Indians. Not much has happened of late, so the well has really run dry on topics until really next week when the Winter Meetings and Rule 5 Draft commence. Still, we will talk about Jhonny Peralta playing 3B in winter ball, the Indians reportedly passing on Orlando Hudson and Rafael Furcal, the Indians supposed interest in adding a closer by the end of the Winter Meetings, and more.

Here is the link to listen live or to listen once the show is archived:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/TheClevela ... ke-Signals

Call in number is 646-716-8012. Feel free to call us and discuss anything that interests you, and if you have a question pertaining to Gimenez we'll patch you through when he is on.

Next week we'll get back to our normal Thursday timeslot for the next two weeks and should have a lot to talk about with the just completed winter meetings and Rule 5 Draft having come and gone. If the Indians lose a player in the Rule 5 Draft there is a good chance that player will appear on the show next week as well. Also, Rob Bryson - one of the players acquired in the Sabathia trade - will be on our show Dec 18th.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: Smoke Signals: Chris Gimenez on tonight

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:25 pm

Just curious, has Gimenez ever played any 2B in his baseball career? Doesn't look like at all in his pro career but wondered if he had any college experience there.

Does already have a lot of versatility, but if he could play a bit of 2B he could be a that much more valuable even as early as 2009....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:33 pm

Yeah, Gimenez as usual was very good last night. Talked to him for 45 minutes and covered everything. One thing a lot of fans don't know is his best position is 3B and it is the position he prefers (we talked about it some on the show), so he could very well be an option there at some point this season if a need arises.

The kid hits with power and is an on-base machine. He missed most of the 2005 season with a bad life-threatening bout with staph and a few months of the 2006 with a ligament injury to his thumb, but when healthy in 2004, 2007, and 2008 he has put up an OPS over .870 every year.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby artgold » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:01 am

I know he started out as a 3rd baseman, but didn't realize it was still where he felt most comfortable.

Thinking a little about it though, perhaps he can be our immediate solution at 3rd this season. If not the optimal outcome, maybe it isn't a bad short term alternative until we get better middle infield help and move Peralta to 3rd.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby carnegie44115 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:28 am

artgold wrote:I know he started out as a 3rd baseman, but didn't realize it was still where he felt most comfortable.

Thinking a little about it though, perhaps he can be our immediate solution at 3rd this season. If not the optimal outcome, maybe it isn't a bad short term alternative until we get better middle infield help and move Peralta to 3rd.

Well he hasn't played a lot of third the last two years, but that doesn't mean he doesn't take infield practice during the season. Really in order to have a place to play next year in AAA, the Indians will need to play him outside of catcher, since Toregas should be the starter, and one of espino and camacaro should be the backup catcher there. I say if Andy Marte is given a chance to be the starting 3B next year in ST, Gimenez deserves the chance too.
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:55 am

Hodges should be given most if not all the playing time at 3B in Columbus next year. He needs to work on that defense. Giving him a day off every now and then and letting Gimenez play is fine though. Could see Gimenez getting some time at DH as well there.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby carnegie44115 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:48 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Hodges should be given most if not all the playing time at 3B in Columbus next year. He needs to work on that defense. Giving him a day off every now and then and letting Gimenez play is fine though. Could see Gimenez getting some time at DH as well there.

Yea Hodges is def the starting 3B in Columbus next year, but I am saying for some crazy reason we don't end up with viable options to fill one of the infield holes, Gimenez should be given every chance to take the 3B job from whoever it may be unless its Peralta of course, but that means one of Barfield/Carroll being the starting 2B.
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:05 pm

Why wouldn't you give Hodges that chance too then? Gimenez struggled a lot at the plate in AAA last year (though Hodges hasn't played there). I just don't see him getting the bump up. I think Barfield would get a much stronger look (at 2B obviously then shifting the others over) than Gimenez......but crazier things have happened I suppose....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby carnegie44115 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:15 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Why wouldn't you give Hodges that chance too then? Gimenez struggled a lot at the plate in AAA last year (though Hodges hasn't played there). I just don't see him getting the bump up. I think Barfield would get a much stronger look (at 2B obviously then shifting the others over) than Gimenez......but crazier things have happened I suppose....

Well yea I would let Hodges have the chance too, just seemed more realistic to see the Indians give the job to a guy that has some AAA experience, how often have we seen the Indians jump a guy from AA to the majors the next year? Of course my idea of Gimenez being the starting 3B may not be very realistic either.
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:18 pm

ha, well I agree it's not likely to see hodges jump up....and like you said, not likely to see Gimenez starting there either...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby carnegie44115 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:21 pm

I do think if it does come down to Marte and Gimenez for that last spot it should be Gimenez as long as he is doing well because he is more versatile and he could fall into the Casey Blake role.
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby npc29 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:23 pm

Somenone has to get traded.. Someone has to go, there are one too many people for all the spots between the majors and triple-a.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Return to Indians Prospect Talk