Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

2011 Draft Signing Thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:21 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Interesting comment from a scout I spoke to today on Myles: "I only saw Myles once. He looked to have plus-plus raw power in BP, but he was out front of off speed stuff all night in the game. He rolled over GBs every AB, but then ran plus-plus times home/1b! This kid is built like Kevin Mitchell, but he ran like Deon Sanders or something."


Seen a couple Kirby Puckett comps due to his size but still being fast. If he's half the player Puckett is that's a nice 6th round pick.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7098
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby jellis » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:56 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:Interesting comment from a scout I spoke to today on Myles: "I only saw Myles once. He looked to have plus-plus raw power in BP, but he was out front of off speed stuff all night in the game. He rolled over GBs every AB, but then ran plus-plus times home/1b! This kid is built like Kevin Mitchell, but he ran like Deon Sanders or something."



Is there any chance Myles starts in Lake County?


Indians always put their picks in MV
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:27 pm

jellis wrote:
GhostofTedCox wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:Interesting comment from a scout I spoke to today on Myles: "I only saw Myles once. He looked to have plus-plus raw power in BP, but he was out front of off speed stuff all night in the game. He rolled over GBs every AB, but then ran plus-plus times home/1b! This kid is built like Kevin Mitchell, but he ran like Deon Sanders or something."



Is there any chance Myles starts in Lake County?


Indians always put their picks in MV


Most of the time, Jeff. Not always, though! Just depends who it is, they're age/experience, and how much they've been used earlier in the year.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3112
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:11 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:Interesting comment from a scout I spoke to today on Myles: "I only saw Myles once. He looked to have plus-plus raw power in BP, but he was out front of off speed stuff all night in the game. He rolled over GBs every AB, but then ran plus-plus times home/1b! This kid is built like Kevin Mitchell, but he ran like Deon Sanders or something."



Is there any chance Myles starts in Lake County?


I don't think so. Bat is not advanced enough...I think he is all but certain to open in MV.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

2011 Rookie FA Signing Thread

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:51 pm

Last edited by Upper Box Woodchuck on Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 786
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: 2011 Rookie FA Signing Thread

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:52 pm

Can't this just go in the draft signing thread? :bomb:
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: 2011 Rookie FA Signing Thread

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:54 pm

I was thinking that, but these aren't draftees. I figure Tony can merge it in if he thinks it's a better fit there.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 786
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:01 pm

Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 786
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:16 am

In addition to Nixon and Saroulin, it looks like an announcement that Jake Lowery and Cody Allen have signed should come today or tomorrow. Also John Barr will sign after CWS.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby Tondo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:17 am

I deduct that 42nd round pick SS Serna has signed since he's on the MV roster

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb ... e&sid=t545
Tondo
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:59 am

Todd Hankins and Mason Radeke have signed.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:06 pm

TonyIPI wrote:In addition to Nixon and Saroulin, it looks like an announcement that Jake Lowery and Cody Allen have signed should come today or tomorrow. Also John Barr will sign after CWS.

Haven't seen any announcement of Jake signing; is it not official yet?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1546
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:09 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:In addition to Nixon and Saroulin, it looks like an announcement that Jake Lowery and Cody Allen have signed should come today or tomorrow. Also John Barr will sign after CWS.

Haven't seen any announcement of Jake signing; is it not official yet?


According to his college, he has officially signed and will make his debut tomorrow. He was invited to take part in the Home Run derby contest at the CWS, but due to signing his pro contract, he is no longer eligible.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3112
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:50 am

Yeah, with the Indians not sending out any press releases announcing anything official on any guys except the first three guys, it sounds like they are awaiting physicals to be passed and other things to clear.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby daingean » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:18 am

OK . Right thread this time: From the Ozone Forum

Rucinski was named second team All-Big Ten this season

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State righthander Drew Rucinski signed a free agent contract with the Cleveland Indians, the organization announced Thursday.

Rucinski will stay in Ohio and begin his professional career at short-season Mahoning Valley in the New York-Penn League.

“It has been a goal of mine to play professional ball and I am very excited to have this opportunity,” Rucinski said. “It is great being in Ohio and getting the chance to get my foot in the door and show people what I can do.”

The Broken Arrow, Okla., native becomes the 22nd Buckeye to sign a professional contract over the last 10 years after earning second team All-Big Ten honors and ranking fifth in the Big Ten in earned run average in 2011. Rucinski went 5-3 with a 2.95 ERA and 53 strikeouts in a team-high 82.1 innings pitched as the Buckeyes’ Friday night starter.

He ranks 16th all-time at Ohio State with 22 career wins and 15th with 257.1 innings pitched. Rucinski also pitched his best against rival Michigan going 2-0 with a 2.21 ERA and 20 strikeouts in 20.1 innings in his career against the Wolverines.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1533
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby petes999 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:26 am

So does this mean that we shouldn't expect more significant signings as MV roster online is set at 22 not counting Lowery and Rucinski (make it 24). Seems like they need one more outfielder and move one of their 3 SS to 3rd. And, with signing of Barr and probably Roberts when Virginia is done, that is our roster. Kind of hoping that Sisco would sign for slot or just above to get in the summer league - but there is hope for Arizona roster. Oh well... And, Brady and Armstrong didn't sign in our top 20 ... so far. Thought they would have gone after them being college players with injuries/inconsistency that had some upside.
petes999
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 559
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:02 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby jellis » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:37 pm

petes999 wrote:So does this mean that we shouldn't expect more significant signings as MV roster online is set at 22 not counting Lowery and Rucinski (make it 24). Seems like they need one more outfielder and move one of their 3 SS to 3rd. And, with signing of Barr and probably Roberts when Virginia is done, that is our roster. Kind of hoping that Sisco would sign for slot or just above to get in the summer league - but there is hope for Arizona roster. Oh well... And, Brady and Armstrong didn't sign in our top 20 ... so far. Thought they would have gone after them being college players with injuries/inconsistency that had some upside.

brady and armstrong would be over slot, and both were guys to follow for the summer. Won't sign until the 15
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:44 pm

Brady and Armstrong are more draft and follow pks... They will watch them through the summer leagues and then make an offer. Think we will see a few more pks sign and assigned later but a few of these guys will be Aug. 15th signings.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby petes999 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:53 pm

Thanks Jellis and HAFH for info on those two. I didn't research them more than the IPI write-up to see that they were both red-shirt sophomores. Just thought due to their age that they would be juniors and would sign as Cleveland usually loads up around 17-23 rounds with college signees to fill out MV. Kind of interesting how they did the draft this year with going with these red-shirt sophmores and more upside college players like Myles. Didn't really pick up on this early on ... just saw a lot of with big question marks (such as Lowery and hitting for power away from home). Good to see the other side of the equation.
petes999
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 559
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:02 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby daingean » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:15 pm

per Tony - Jake Sisco is in the fold :clapping:
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1533
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby OhioBaseball » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:36 pm

daingean wrote:per Tony - Jake Sisco is in the fold :clapping:


That's great news. Prospectively could be Matt Barnes on the cheap.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:00 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby Bearcatbob » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:48 pm

I have often thought holding out is one of the absolutely dumbest things a kid can do. He should take any fair offer and get the year of experience. If the kid is going to make it - getting going early is the best way - and the best way to make money.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 556
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:10 am

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby entertheshoe » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:54 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:I have often thought holding out is one of the absolutely dumbest things a kid can do. He should take any fair offer and get the year of experience. If the kid is going to make it - getting going early is the best way - and the best way to make money.

Bob


I disagree. Holding out is just taking advantage of a faulty system. With the success rate (or lackthereof) for prospects and draft picks, if you're a high draft pick you want to make as much bang for your buck as you can. As much as I would love for Lindor to sign right away and be playing at Mahoning Valley right now, I can't harp the kid (and his agents) for trying to make as much money as he can. It's not their fault that MLB has a system where a player can go back to school after being drafted (thus are given a ton of leverage) and there are no slot salaries.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby Bearcatbob » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:09 pm

entertheshoe wrote:
Bearcatbob wrote:I have often thought holding out is one of the absolutely dumbest things a kid can do. He should take any fair offer and get the year of experience. If the kid is going to make it - getting going early is the best way - and the best way to make money.

Bob


I disagree. Holding out is just taking advantage of a faulty system. With the success rate (or lackthereof) for prospects and draft picks, if you're a high draft pick you want to make as much bang for your buck as you can. As much as I would love for Lindor to sign right away and be playing at Mahoning Valley right now, I can't harp the kid (and his agents) for trying to make as much money as he can. It's not their fault that MLB has a system where a player can go back to school after being drafted (thus are given a ton of leverage) and there are no slot salaries.


How much more is he going to make. If he is offered what history says his position is worth - his best financial option is to get going. One extra year in the majors is where the money is.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 556
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:10 am

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby daingean » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:11 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:I have often thought holding out is one of the absolutely dumbest things a kid can do. He should take any fair offer and get the year of experience. If the kid is going to make it - getting going early is the best way - and the best way to make money.

Bob


I also have to disagree. This is not an easy decision for each player. If your in the first 3 rounds, it is probably a good idea to sign. If you are later than that, get as much $$$ as you can. Lower draft picks seldom get the long leash that high rounders do. If you can hold out for a higher bonus, the team has invested more in you and you get a longer leash. If John Drennan was a 25th round pick, he probably wouldn't be in Akron right now (but either starting his post-baseball career or playing in an independent league.) The money they make in the minors is not much, these guys are playing for a dream. The life is hard (long bus trips), very little cash, and away from their families for long times. Also many HS kids can improve their draft stock by going to school.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1533
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby jellis » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:33 pm

daingean wrote:
Bearcatbob wrote:I have often thought holding out is one of the absolutely dumbest things a kid can do. He should take any fair offer and get the year of experience. If the kid is going to make it - getting going early is the best way - and the best way to make money.

Bob


I also have to disagree. This is not an easy decision for each player. If your in the first 3 rounds, it is probably a good idea to sign. If you are later than that, get as much $$$ as you can. Lower draft picks seldom get the long leash that high rounders do. If you can hold out for a higher bonus, the team has invested more in you and you get a longer leash. If John Drennan was a 25th round pick, he probably wouldn't be in Akron right now (but either starting his post-baseball career or playing in an independent league.) The money they make in the minors is not much, these guys are playing for a dream. The life is hard (long bus trips), very little cash, and away from their families for long times. Also many HS kids can improve their draft stock by going to school.


yeah you make nothing outside of that signing bonus, so they get what they can get. I can't fault them for making sure they get every dime they are one injury away from losing it all. Plus look at the wash out rates, for most first rounders this is the only contract they get. I am not sure how you can fault a kid for getting the most he can get before he spends the next 4 years making a little above minimum wage
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:36 pm

It's in the best interest of many of these guys to go to school but some just can't for a number of reasons. These minor leaguers pretty much only make hundreds of dollars per mth and meal money plus their signing bonus, part of the reason I'm against hard slot system (and int'l world draft) open to see trades involving pks though.

Glad to see Sisco signed. Think Barnes is a pretty good comp but Barnes throws harder 98 to 95, which could change as Sisco matures a bit more.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby jellis » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:25 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:It's in the best interest of many of these guys to go to school but some just can't for a number of reasons. These minor leaguers pretty much only make hundreds of dollars per mth and meal money plus their signing bonus, part of the reason I'm against hard slot system (and int'l world draft) open to see trades involving pks though.

Glad to see Sisco signed. Think Barnes is a pretty good comp but Barnes throws harder 98 to 95, which could change as Sisco matures a bit more.


I dont see the comp Sisco doesnt throw as hard, but Barnes has 2 pitches and the worry is that he might not get a 3rd. Sisco has 4 legit pitches, he doesnt have the ceiling, and the floor is much worse, but I think they are pretty different
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:25 am

They are indeed two different pitchers both with the same prospect ability (ceiling) IMO, while Sisco seems to have a lower floor... thats the risk in drafting a 19 yr old in comp. with a 21-22 yr old.
Doesn't Barnes throw 3 and a show-me fourth pitch? thought he went FB, CRV, SLDR, CHG? Honestly hard to remember all that, working full time and going to school full time... :pardon:
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:16 pm

jellis wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:It's in the best interest of many of these guys to go to school but some just can't for a number of reasons. These minor leaguers pretty much only make hundreds of dollars per mth and meal money plus their signing bonus, part of the reason I'm against hard slot system (and int'l world draft) open to see trades involving pks though.

Glad to see Sisco signed. Think Barnes is a pretty good comp but Barnes throws harder 98 to 95, which could change as Sisco matures a bit more.


I dont see the comp Sisco doesnt throw as hard, but Barnes has 2 pitches and the worry is that he might not get a 3rd. Sisco has 4 legit pitches, he doesnt have the ceiling, and the floor is much worse, but I think they are pretty different


If you compared the two aesthetically I think you'd probably see the comp. They are very similar physically with similar arm slots and arm actions, and somewhat comparable deliveries (Barnes is more polished). I've only seen a video of Sisco, but if you watch the two they are very similar in talent. Both are slender 6'4" right handers with long legs and arms. Matt Barnes actually has a comparatively more stiff delivery compared to the more loose, athletic delivery of Sisco but as Sisco physically matures he'll probably be less loose like Barnes. Another thing, and it isn't exactly a positive, but neither pitcher has that particularly clean of an arm stroke in the back and that might turn some off.

I think if you saw Matt Barnes as a 19 year old, he probably looked quite similar to what Sisco is now.

(also I'm high on Sisco, but skeptical of the report on Sisco that says he has "four legit pitches")

Also, Homer, I think you're right about Barnes being more than just a 2 pitch guy.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:00 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:26 pm

Barnes is a guy I've been really high on, I think he will be a solid 2 good 3. Sisco is obviously a bit less known bc of the jc he attended and he's only 19... It's really no different than signing a high schooler. Sisco is an interesting arm nonetheless good sink runs the FB in at 93-95 and 2-3 other pitches. He could add a few more mph over the next few yrs. Sisco is a guy who could really come on as a prospect.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby ClevBuck » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:27 pm

I think Disco has ace potential and #3 starter floor. Anychane he starts in mv?
ClevBuck
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:42 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:26 am

My guess is Sisco goes to AZ first then maybe latter in the yr to MV.
I know some viewed this as a cheap pk... After Lindor and Howard one two but it wasn't. He may have been a fairly easy sign but at 19 it's no different than pick him out of hs. This pk was more about his upside than signability. Although that played in.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:30 am

OhioBaseball wrote:
jellis wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:It's in the best interest of many of these guys to go to school but some just can't for a number of reasons. These minor leaguers pretty much only make hundreds of dollars per mth and meal money plus their signing bonus, part of the reason I'm against hard slot system (and int'l world draft) open to see trades involving pks though.

Glad to see Sisco signed. Think Barnes is a pretty good comp but Barnes throws harder 98 to 95, which could change as Sisco matures a bit more.


I dont see the comp Sisco doesnt throw as hard, but Barnes has 2 pitches and the worry is that he might not get a 3rd. Sisco has 4 legit pitches, he doesnt have the ceiling, and the floor is much worse, but I think they are pretty different


If you compared the two aesthetically I think you'd probably see the comp. They are very similar physically with similar arm slots and arm actions, and somewhat comparable deliveries (Barnes is more polished). I've only seen a video of Sisco, but if you watch the two they are very similar in talent. Both are slender 6'4" right handers with long legs and arms. Matt Barnes actually has a comparatively more stiff delivery compared to the more loose, athletic delivery of Sisco but as Sisco physically matures he'll probably be less loose like Barnes. Another thing, and it isn't exactly a positive, but neither pitcher has that particularly clean of an arm stroke in the back and that might turn some off.

I think if you saw Matt Barnes as a 19 year old, he probably looked quite similar to what Sisco is now.

(also I'm high on Sisco, but skeptical of the report on Sisco that says he has "four legit pitches")

Also, Homer, I think you're right about Barnes being more than just a 2 pitch guy.
Pretty good comp: Sisco v Matt Barnes.. The biggest difference seems to be the length of stride and arm position during the wind up. Sisco has more of a drop and drive, longer stride to the plate while Matt Barnes isn't quite as "forward". The arm position of Sisco is well hidden behind his left leg as he loads to deliver while Barnes' has a bit of a looping out of sync kind of arm action. Barnes doesn't hide the ball nearly as well. Both deliver from the same arm slot.. both are physically similar, otherwise..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3797
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:36 am

9th rd pick 3B Jordan Smith has signed.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:05 pm

TonyIPI wrote:9th rd pick 3B Jordan Smith has signed.

Is he headed to MV?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1546
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:23 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:9th rd pick 3B Jordan Smith has signed.

Is he headed to MV?


Not sure, no confirmation, but I think he may open at MV.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby entertheshoe » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:26 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:9th rd pick 3B Jordan Smith has signed.

Is he headed to MV?


Not sure, no confirmation, but I think he may open at MV.


Makes sense. Smith's positions are 3rd base or Outfield and both of those positions are weak at MV.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:22 am

The Indians have signed 11th round draft pick Luis DeJesus-RHP Angelo College (JC), TX.
http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/team/t ... eam_id=114
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:18 pm

Also signed UDFA Josh McKeon out of Upper Iowa U.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:19 pm

Checked out McKeon on PG he features a 90 mph fb. A bit of a soft tosser, batted below .200 with 1 hr.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:51 pm

Quick question:

Is there somewhere that lists the signings of all of the teams? I can't seem to find anywhere that keeps track of all of the teams as well as IPI does with the Tribe.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby Tondo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:13 pm

Tondo
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:20 pm



Aha, thank you very much Tondo.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby stoike » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:21 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Checked out McKeon on PG he features a 90 mph fb. A bit of a soft tosser, batted below .200 with 1 hr.


Found a feature on him from a local newspaper. Only pitched for 2 years after staring out as a catcher, and has been up to 93 mph this year, striking out 99 in 81 innings pitched. Had some crazy stats.
stoike
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:02 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:24 am

Indians have signed 10th round pick Jeff Johnson. Also signed UDFA RHP Matt Curtis out of Central Missouri. Johnson is expected to go to MV and Curtis to AZL.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:55 am

TonyIPI wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:9th rd pick 3B Jordan Smith has signed.

Is he headed to MV?


Not sure, no confirmation, but I think he may open at MV.


Yep, assigned to MV a couple of days ago.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 786
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby elrod enchilada » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:25 pm

Slightly OT, but I do not want to start a separate thread.

Fausto Carmona is owed $28 million over the next three seasons, and $7 million next year. It is not guaranteed.

Why not let Carmona go after this season, and take what he would have been paid next season, $7 million, and add it to the draft signing budget to sign the best high school players the Tribe picked in the draft, some of whom are unlikely to sign; i.e. Howard, Haase, Tarpley, Peters, Sparks, Kramer, Diemer, Morimando, Eureste, Embree.

I think we can replace Carmona on the cheap with one of the arms at AAA. I would really like to have an influx of young kids, especially position players. I would be willing to have a lower major league payroll in 2012 to pay for it.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby daingean » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:18 pm

elrod enchilada wrote:Slightly OT, but I do not want to start a separate thread.

Fausto Carmona is owed $28 million over the next three seasons, and $7 million next year. It is not guaranteed.

Why not let Carmona go after this season, and take what he would have been paid next season, $7 million, and add it to the draft signing budget to sign the best high school players the Tribe picked in the draft, some of whom are unlikely to sign; i.e. Howard, Haase, Tarpley, Peters, Sparks, Kramer, Diemer, Morimando, Eureste, Embree.

I think we can replace Carmona on the cheap with one of the arms at AAA. I would really like to have an influx of young kids, especially position players. I would be willing to have a lower major league payroll in 2012 to pay for it.



off topic but if the Indians were to save on Carmona they would probably add to the Major League team now since we are in a pennant race.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1533
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby elrod enchilada » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:31 pm

good point.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:16 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron