RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Draft Signing Thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:07 am

toledobuck wrote:Tony- Any new info on the Tribe signing Embree or Ruiz? If you had to put a % on them signing, what would it be? We need some high impact HS OF RH bats in a bad way. What is the deal in signing them as they both seem eager to sign and not excited to move on with a community college.

I think the odds are good that Embree gets done....and Ruiz looks very possible.

Cole Pitts is a guy I don't see them being in on.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby elrod enchilada » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:32 pm

Even if we only sign the rest of the top ten and only one or two other prospects, I like this draft compared to 2010.

It seems like last year we spent most of the picks after the 4th round taking roster filler types: Cole Cook, Tyler Cannon, Jordan Cooper, Diego Seastrunk, etc. And those guys were all from rounds 5-14.

This year the equivalent picks include the likes of Myles and Smith, each of whom one could see possibly becoming a legit prospect. And even guys who were picked and signed much later in the draft, like Cody Elliott and Evan Frazar, are a heckuva lot more intriguing than Diego Seastrunk or Jordan Cooper.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:06 pm

Abel Guerrero signed and assigned to AZL

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/team/t ... eam_id=114
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:01 am

While not having a direct bearing on the Indians signing of Francisco Lindor/Dillon Howard, the Arizona Diamondbacks have signed their first round draft pick, Trevor Bauer, formerly of UCLA. Bauer was considered the most complete pitcher coming out of the draft while Gerrit Cole had the most upside and was clearly deserving of the first overall pick in the 2011 draft. The details of Bauer's contract, while still be sorted out, are:

Bauer gets a deal that includes a $3.4MM bonus, $4.45MM in guaranteed money and the potential for an additional $7MM in earnings over four years, including his bonus and salary. He was signed to a major league contract, so his clock is now ticking.. This is a huge contract !

While both Lindor and Howard are former preppers, they most likely won't be signed to major league contracts as this would surely not be in either player's best interest. Now comes the conundrum.. will the dollar value / slotting for Lindor and Howard become too rich for the Indians to sign both players?.

Should be an interesting first half of August...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:02 am

BTW... I still think signing Cole Pitts would be a coup for the Indians.. that big boy can realllllllllly bring it...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby elrod enchilada » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:18 pm

16 Ryan Merritt
17 Kevin Brady
18 Shawn Armstrong
19 Shawn Morimando
20 Dillon Peters

In recent years we have signed guys drafted in this position. I have not heard anything about our signing any of these guys. Have I missed something? Has the Tribe just decided that since our farm system is so well-stocked, we don't need to sign our draft picks like we did in past years?
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:53 pm

elrod enchilada wrote:16 Ryan Merritt
17 Kevin Brady
18 Shawn Armstrong
19 Shawn Morimando
20 Dillon Peters

In recent years we have signed guys drafted in this position. I have not heard anything about our signing any of these guys. Have I missed something? Has the Tribe just decided that since our farm system is so well-stocked, we don't need to sign our draft picks like we did in past years?

They drafted 15 guys that were ranked in the top 300 nationally by at least 1 of 3 national ranking sites I looked at
. They have signed 3 of those guys so far (Sisco, Lowery, Myles)

1 Lindor (ranked by all 3), 2 Howard (3), 7 Haase (1), 8 Tarpley (1), 13 MacPhee (1), 14 Anderson (1), 17 Brady (2), 20 Peters (3), 22 Reckling (1), 24 Sparks (3), 25 Kramer (2), 44 Griffin (1) are the others.

Are Peters, Sparks, Kramer still considered longshots?
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:54 pm

Expect a flurry of signings on or just before August 15th for the Indians. Including all four Top 10 picks still unsigned. I would be very surprised if they do not sign all of Lindor, Howard, Haase, and Tarpley....unless they bring in Peters (who is a 50/50 to me).
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby elrod enchilada » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:57 pm

That still leaves a lot more unsigned guys than the last couple years. Do you get the sense, Tony, that, for whatever reason, the Tribe is cool signing 20 or 21 instead of 27-28?
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:10 pm

I think when all is said and done they sign 23-25 guys.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby elrod enchilada » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:00 pm

Thanks. I hope you are right.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:43 pm

I was hoping for one of the mid twenties Cal HS kids, Sparks, Kramer & Diemer. Doesn't look like it's happening but Embree might be right up there with those guys & he's just begging to be signed.

Tony wrote that the org would like to keep Smith at 3B so Sparks wouldn't leave that big of a void but Embree would be the only power hitting RH OF bat from the draft that we sign, if indeed we sign him.

Signing Embree=no brainer. :drinks:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:14 pm

Rocky55 wrote:I was hoping for one of the mid twenties Cal HS kids, Sparks, Kramer & Diemer. Doesn't look like it's happening but Embree might be right up there with those guys & he's just begging to be signed.

Tony wrote that the org would like to keep Smith at 3B so Sparks wouldn't leave that big of a void but Embree would be the only power hitting RH OF bat from the draft that we sign, if indeed we sign him.

Signing Embree=no brainer. :drinks:

Rocky, what do you think of Tarpley? I saw his tape and to me he looks like a pitching inventory guy. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I just don't see a top 5 round caliber talent. I'll be surprised if he gets much of a bonus, but it could just be me.

Kramer looks like more of a higher ceiling guy; very nice athleticism and a projectable body. I don't think his approach at the plate looks all that good, though. If I was confident he could hit, I could see an aggressive offer to him, but I suspect it's why he fell so far in the draft.

Slightly off-topic, but Keith Law talked about the draft (in general) on the BS Report yesterday. He basically said the college position prospects for next year's draft suck (again) and all of these overslot signings out of high school has really robbed college baseball of good positional talent. You'd think the same would be for pitchers, but given how volatile they are, I can see how some guys can sneak through the cracks. Kind of interesting.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:45 am

I personally like Stephen Tarpley. He is a lefty that can throw 91 now (per Perfect Game). He is a prep pitcher that may still grow and/or fill out thus adding additional velocity. What you see now and what you will see in 2-3 years out of guys like that are vastly different as the organization works with him to improve his delivery, pitch depth, and velocity. Now he is just 6' (per Perfect Game which is not necessarily accurate). College players are more WYSIWYG but High Schoolers still grow, improve, and most haven't had ML quality coaching yet.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:13 am

daingean wrote:I personally like Stephen Tarpley. He is a lefty that can throw 91 now (per Perfect Game). He is a prep pitcher that may still grow and/or fill out thus adding additional velocity. What you see now and what you will see in 2-3 years out of guys like that are vastly different as the organization works with him to improve his delivery, pitch depth, and velocity. Now he is just 6' (per Perfect Game which is not necessarily accurate). College players are more WYSIWYG but High Schoolers still grow, improve, and most haven't had ML quality coaching yet.

My problem w/ tarpley is that I don't think he has a projectable body frame. He's narrowly built. Look at his shoulders; not a lot of room to grow in his upper body. Additionally, his arm does not demonstrate much loose action, either. Some guys you look at and know they are going to be bigger and stronger through physical maturation (lindor is actually one of these types). Tarpley just isnt very projectable. It looks like he can spin a breaking ball well, though. He looks like a future middle relief guy to me.

He just doesn't strike me as a HS talent that fell in the draft bc of signability concerns. He looks like a guy that went about where he should have. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a slightly above slot deal, but not that much. Don't get me wrong; a lefty that can spin a breaking ball and touch 90 has value and I'd like to see him in the system. It's not a great comp bc they have different arm slots, but he strikes me as a Rafael Perez type upside guy.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:04 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:
daingean wrote:I personally like Stephen Tarpley. He is a lefty that can throw 91 now (per Perfect Game). He is a prep pitcher that may still grow and/or fill out thus adding additional velocity. What you see now and what you will see in 2-3 years out of guys like that are vastly different as the organization works with him to improve his delivery, pitch depth, and velocity. Now he is just 6' (per Perfect Game which is not necessarily accurate). College players are more WYSIWYG but High Schoolers still grow, improve, and most haven't had ML quality coaching yet.

My problem w/ tarpley is that I don't think he has a projectable body frame. He's narrowly built. Look at his shoulders; not a lot of room to grow in his upper body. Additionally, his arm does not demonstrate much loose action, either. Some guys you look at and know they are going to be bigger and stronger through physical maturation (lindor is actually one of these types). Tarpley just isnt very projectable. It looks like he can spin a breaking ball well, though. He looks like a future middle relief guy to me.

He just doesn't strike me as a HS talent that fell in the draft bc of signability concerns. He looks like a guy that went about where he should have. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a slightly above slot deal, but not that much. Don't get me wrong; a lefty that can spin a breaking ball and touch 90 has value and I'd like to see him in the system. It's not a great comp bc they have different arm slots, but he strikes me as a Rafael Perez type upside guy.

I have not seen Tarpley live. Just on tape but he reminds me a bit of Soto. I am not sure either are real projectible as MLs. Just like to see some benefits of growth and maturation in both but not expecting much in that respect from either. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby entertheshoe » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:55 pm

entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Tampachicken » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:08 pm

I just learned from 47th round pick Corey Embree dad. Family finally heard from Indians today (aug 3) and had not heard from club since couple of days after he was drafted. Learned Cleveland does not want to sign Embree. An offer was Never made to him. Corey and family very confused and disturbed. Indians notifed family via e-mail and father said there was only about 3 or 4 sentences to the message - no personal phone call made to family. Embree was told in the email that Cleveland liked Corey's talents, but they had no room on the roster for him to play with summer rookie team and they were "waiting" for a spot to open up before they approached him with offer and possibly sign him.Therefore, Cleveland chose not to try and sign him and wished him well in the future and playing at Maple Woods college. Father said he ended up calling scout who had followed Corey during high school and suggested him to be drafted, and scout told him basically same thing. Father said family had no idea this kind of thing could happen.
Tampachicken
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:39 pm

Tampachicken wrote: .....Father said he ended up calling scout who had followed Corey during high school and suggested him to be drafted, and scout told him basically same thing. Father said family had no idea this kind of thing could happen.

Strange that they hadn't heard of this. I won't say its a common practice but it has happened before & I suspect it will happen again in the future.

Let's be honest. The baseball draft moves at near light speed compared to basketball & football and there are players that get taken simply because a scout thinks there might be something in that talent mix. After a draft all organizations look over what they took and sometimes discover multiple players with a similar mix. The team will determine signing priorities & move forward. Ulimately those decisions mean impacts to the players and their families. Its the business of baseball.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:01 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:
Tampachicken wrote: .....Father said he ended up calling scout who had followed Corey during high school and suggested him to be drafted, and scout told him basically same thing. Father said family had no idea this kind of thing could happen.

Strange that they hadn't heard of this. I won't say its a common practice but it has happened before & I suspect it will happen again in the future.

Let's be honest. The baseball draft moves at near light speed compared to basketball & football and there are players that get taken simply because a scout thinks there might be something in that talent mix. After a draft all organizations look over what they took and sometimes discover multiple players with a similar mix. The team will determine signing priorities & move forward. Ulimately those decisions mean impacts to the players and their families. Its the business of baseball.

Happens all the time especially to kids who get taken in the late 40's, I liked embree a lot raw power was intriguing, but not shocked Indians have done this before with players and then draft them years later. Its the nature of the beast for the draft only so many spots
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:12 pm

jellis wrote:Happens all the time especially to kids who get taken in the late 40's, I liked embree a lot raw power was intriguing, but not shocked Indians have done this before with players and then draft them years later. Its the nature of the beast for the draft only so many spots

This sort of things happen quite a bit. Many times players are encouraged to go the JC route so they can be drafted a year later. While early picks that spurn the big league offers still go Div I route, many mid-late or late round picks end up at a JC because of this.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:26 pm

daingean wrote:
jellis wrote:Happens all the time especially to kids who get taken in the late 40's, I liked embree a lot raw power was intriguing, but not shocked Indians have done this before with players and then draft them years later. Its the nature of the beast for the draft only so many spots

This sort of things happen quite a bit. Many times players are encouraged to go the JC route so they can be drafted a year later. While early picks that spurn the big league offers still go Div I route, many mid-late or late round picks end up at a JC because of this.

Indians like many teams love to redraft, I would not be shocked to see Embree get his name called next year by the Tribe
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:43 am

jellis wrote:
daingean wrote:

Indians like many teams love to redraft, I would not be shocked to see Embree get his name called next year by the Tribe

I believe that a player has to okay a team to redraft him (maybe that is for College seniors that didn't sign after their junior years but I know I have seen that rule somewhere) and just an email contact would not be a good way to initiate that process. The kid at least needed a call.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Tondo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:10 am

Merritt is an intiguing signing, like it

What I don't get in this Embree farce is why did the org sign all those rather talentless UDFA fillers if there was a guy they actually drafted awaiting a call?...ready to start his baseball career for little money...at least Embree has power as a tool to develop....what has a guy like Sabourin, who plays everyday in MV?
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:13 pm

Tondo wrote:Merritt is an intiguing signing, like it

What I don't get in this Embree farce is why did the org sign all those rather talentless UDFA fillers if there was a guy they actually drafted awaiting a call?...ready to start his baseball career for little money...at least Embree has power as a tool to develop....what has a guy like Sabourin, who plays everyday in MV?

Simply because they are easy to dump at anytime and don't get in the way of the players who are likely more talented with higher ceilings.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:34 am

indianinkslinger wrote:
Tondo wrote:Merritt is an intiguing signing, like it

Simply because they are easy to dump at anytime and don't get in the way of the players who are likely more talented with higher ceilings.

Correct.

The Embree thing is nothing new. It is too bad for him and I hate to see anyone go through it....but it will be the same situation that a 10-12 other draft picks for the Indians go through this year...guys who want to sign but the club is not interested in signing. Will also happen for 10 or so guys on just about every team.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:23 pm

daingean wrote:
jellis wrote:
daingean wrote:

I believe that a player has to okay a team to redraft him (maybe that is for College seniors that didn't sign after their junior years but I know I have seen that rule somewhere) and just an email contact would not be a good way to initiate that process. The kid at least needed a call.

No one ever does not sign the wavier, because that means less chances to get drafted and business is business, and the Indians still liked him enough to draft him and are still his best chance to get draft next year in all likely hood. I loved his raw power and do hope the Indians revisit him next year
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tampachicken » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:21 pm

Isn’t the business side of America’s pasttime interesting?
Last month Cleveland signed two young international players, one from
Taiwan the other from Dominican Republic, both of whom are outfielders
who did not go through the Draft. Both signed for 6 figure money and
remain with the Indians rookie team in Arizona.
Since the Draft, the Corey Embree kid apparently was waiting for an “opening” to develop
with the rookie team before Cleveland would try to sign him aboard.
Those two late comers are still with the team and seem to be
challenged in the batters box.
Last week Embree is told no room in the OF with the summer team had ever developed, and therefore Cleveland does not want to try and sign him. I?wonder how often this kind of situation
happens across the MLB when a player is drafted and waiting, but a
club will suddenly sign foreign players during midseason and force
draftees to continue to wait and eventually dont get to sign.
Tampachicken
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:37 pm

Uhh... since "mid-season" is when international amateur free agents are signed, it's no more "sudden" than anyone getting drafted in June, and I'd guess it happens in every organization, all the time.

I would also think that by now everyone knows that scouting isn't an exact science, and also that the ultimate value of a prospect can almost never be determined in the first month or two of their pro career. So it seems rather pointless to me to criticize the organization's choices on such unknown players who we haven't seen more than a few brief clips of a in action (or haven't seen them at all) and have virtually no sample size of statistics to go on yet.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:05 pm

Tampachicken wrote:Isn’t the business side of America’s pasttime interesting?
Since the Draft, the Corey Embree kid apparently was waiting for an “opening” to develop
Last week Embree is told no room in the OF with the summer team had ever developed, and therefore Cleveland does not want to try and sign him. I?wonder how often this kind of situation

Two things:

1.) July is the start of the International Signing Period, so teams sign players from Latin America and around the world. This is separate from the draft, and who is unsigned or whatever has no bearing on things.

2.) There are no recent international signings who are playing in Arizona. All recent signing are either in Dominican Summer League or not even playing yet.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:15 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
Tampachicken wrote:Isn’t the business side of America’s pasttime interesting?

Two things:

1.) July is the start of the International Signing Period, so teams sign players from Latin America and around the world. This is separate from the draft, and who is unsigned or whatever has no bearing on things.

2.) There are no recent international signings who are playing in Arizona. All recent signing are either in Dominican Summer League or not even playing yet.

yeah those signings had a net zero effect,m as I recall they drafted Embree to follow in the summer league, must not have liked what they saw. Plus not sure Embree would have signed for slot either, which for a 47th round pick is quite low. Its all on the kid he kills it in CC he will get drafted next year. This often happens players get drafted and not signed all the time, Indians failed to sign Brian Wilson, Connor Jackson, Desmond Jennings and Tim lincuem. Its just a part of the draft process, wish the kid the best of luck, but it strikes me that the Indians saw something they did not like on a deeper look. Since embree fits what the Indians system is lacking
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:43 pm

Not to take the conversation away from Corey Embree or either of the Dillon's, but is there any word on OF Brian Ruiz?
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:05 am

jellis wrote:
yeah those signings had a net zero effect,m as I recall they drafted Embree to follow in the summer league, must not have liked what they saw. Plus not sure Embree would have signed for slot either, which for a 47th round pick is quite low. Its all on the kid he kills it in CC he will get drafted next year. This often happens players get drafted and not signed all the time, Indians failed to sign Brian Wilson, Connor Jackson, Desmond Jennings and Tim lincuem. Its just a part of the draft process, wish the kid the best of luck, but it strikes me that the Indians saw something they did not like on a deeper look. Since embree fits what the Indians system is lacking

Either they didn't see what they wanted to see from Embree or they see something they like with what they already have in the lower levels. Yes power hitting OFers (or more accurately guys that can develop power) are what the system is lacking but the system is lacking them at the higher levels. Embree is what he is - a high school bat. My guess is that the Indians felt that it would be better for him to get consistent playing time at the CC than fight for playing time in Arizona. We only have some ideas on what they have to bring up from the Dom. League next year and those are the guys Embree would be competing with for playing time in Arizona next year. A year at a CC may get him to MV next year (if he is re-drafted).
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:57 pm

Not that there was much doubt but..

KendallRogersPG Kendall Rogers
In addition to #Arkansas signee Greg Bird, #Hogs signee Dillon Howard, #Indians 2nd-rdr, is fully expected to sign right now. #mlbdraft #MLB
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby daingean » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:36 pm

daingean wrote:
Either they didn't see what they wanted to see from Embree or they see something they like with what they already have in the lower levels. Yes power hitting OFers (or more accurately guys that can develop power) are what the system is lacking but the system is lacking them at the higher levels. Embree is what he is - a high school bat. My guess is that the Indians felt that it would be better for him to get consistent playing time at the CC than fight for playing time in Arizona. We only have some ideas on what they have to bring up from the Dom. League next year and those are the guys Embree would be competing with for playing time in Arizona next year. A year at a CC may get him to MV next year (if he is re-drafted).

Per Tony - Indians signed Brian Ruiz. My guess is that the evaluation was between Embree and Ruiz. Ruiz was drafted a few rounds earlier.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby JP_Frost » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:59 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:Not that there was much doubt but..

KendallRogersPG Kendall Rogers
In addition to #Arkansas signee Greg Bird, #Hogs signee Dillon Howard, #Indians 2nd-rdr, is fully expected to sign right now. #mlbdraft #MLB

That's very good news.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby toledobuck » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:30 pm

daingean wrote:
daingean wrote:

Per Tony - Indians signed Brian Ruiz. My guess is that the evaluation was between Embree and Ruiz. Ruiz was drafted a few rounds earlier.

I absolutely love the signing of Ruiz. I hope he gets a chance to get in a few games in the AZL. Love this kid's athleticism, power, and that he has already gotten used to wood bats. We need some young power OF depth. I guess the Tribe like Ruiz better than Embree and they did not have room for both.
toledobuck
Rookie Baller

Postby Big League Choo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:46 pm

Per Jim Callis, Indians sign 43rd-rder Geoff Davenport for $100k. #Arkansas LHP, coming off Tommy John surgery.
Big League Choo
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:58 pm

toledobuck wrote:
daingean wrote:
daingean wrote:

I absolutely love the signing of Ruiz. I hope he gets a chance to get in a few games in the AZL. Love this kid's athleticism, power, and that he has already gotten used to wood bats. We need some young power OF depth. I guess the Tribe like Ruiz better than Embree and they did not have room for both.

With ya t-buck. :drinks:
Didn't hear where they're sending him, if anywhere. The combination of being in Ohio & being late to baseball might have hidden his talents a bit. Tall kid, athletic. good contact skills, wood bat savvy, position of need, tons of upside; what's not to like?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:15 pm

I am hearing that 7th rounder catcher Eric Haase agreed to terms yesterday. Nothing official though and not 100% on that. In any case he is supposed to sign no matter what so is not a surprise.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby OhioBaseball » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:55 pm

TonyIPI wrote:I am hearing that 7th rounder catcher Eric Haase agreed to terms yesterday. Nothing official though and not 100% on that. In any case he is supposed to sign no matter what so is not a surprise.

That's good. Haase is probably always going to get the "he's undersized" thing, but this guy is really quick and athletic. Very quick actions behind the plate, he's got some infield skills and can run. Sounds kinda like the Carlos Santana scouting report, no? Doubtful he reaches that status (Carlos is a STUD), but it looks like Haase can swing the bat, too. To me, this looks like a guy going under the radar b/c (1) he's undersized and (2) is a cold weather HS guy. Nice snag by the Tribe.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:12 pm

Indians have not released anything official on Haase, but I have confirmation that he has indeed signed (or agreed to terms, whatever you want to call it).
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby bmonnig » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:24 pm

http://chrswbb.blogspot.com/2011/08/buc ... -long.html

Sources say the bonus Haase received from the Indians is $615,000.
bmonnig
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:58 am

Glad they got this one done. A pretty good sign all the important deals will be finished, with Peters being the only question mark. I think it gets done though, unless he flat out doesn't want to sign.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Tondo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:07 am

Anybody with an update on the overall signing bonuses being dished out top date? Tony?
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby OhioBaseball » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:30 pm

Haase got 2nd round money, so that's not a value signing or anything but I am fine with the signing bonus.

Keith Law said in his chat today that he expects Howard to sign, but is unsure about Peters and Tarpley. He said he heard Tarpley is "looking for something crazy, like 3mm. He's not a seven-figures guy for me". Judging by his scouting bureau tape, Tarpley is nowhere near that. The Indians are just fine letting Peters and Tarpley go to college. Neither is an impact guy. I wanted Haase, so I will be pleased if Howard signs with him.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:33 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:Haase got 2nd round money, so that's not a value signing or anything but I am fine with the signing bonus.

Keith Law said in his chat today that he expects Howard to sign, but is unsure about Peters and Tarpley. He said he heard Tarpley is "looking for something crazy, like 3mm. He's not a seven-figures guy for me". Judging by his scouting bureau tape, Tarpley is nowhere near that. The Indians are just fine letting Peters and Tarpley go to college. Neither is an impact guy. I wanted Haase, so I will be pleased if Howard signs with him.

Read the transcripts of that chat and someone asked him about Howard's potential. Said a solid #2, not a top/elite pitcher, but top 25-50 in baseball.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Sol Solis » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:13 am

A.Zajac wrote:
OhioBaseball wrote:Haase got 2nd round money, so that's not a value signing or anything but I am fine with the signing bonus.

Read the transcripts of that chat and someone asked him about Howard's potential. Said a solid #2, not a top/elite pitcher, but top 25-50 in baseball.

I also read them and he mentioned twice that Lindor was telling the Indians that he was going to go to Juco and come back next to try and get more money. Not sure if that was already stated here. To me that seems like he's trying to leverage himself but who knows.
Sol Solis
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:25 am

That Law mention of a $3M asking price for Tarpley is not right....it's the agent trying to pump up his value.

Also, I have no confirmation on this, but it looks like the Indians may have signed Morimando.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:22 am

Sol Solis wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

I also read them and he mentioned twice that Lindor was telling the Indians that he was going to go to Juco and come back next to try and get more money. Not sure if that was already stated here. To me that seems like he's trying to leverage himself but who knows.

If that's the case, good riddance.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk