RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Who is your #1?

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Who is your #1?

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:23 pm

Gonna start the ranking process here soon for the 2009 Top 50 or 100 list. While I won't reveal who my top guys are until I finish, I was curious what some of you thought about who the top prospect is in the system and why? Even who your Top 5 would be.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: Who is your #1?

Postby toledobuck » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:04 pm

1) Laporta
2) Huff
3) A. Miller
4) Santana
5) Mills
6) Hodges
7) Weglarz
8) Rondon
9) K. De La Cruz
10) Sipp

sleeper - E. Araujo (young DR pitcher that is going to make some noise soon in the system)
toledobuck
Rookie Baller

Postby GhostofTedCox » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:11 pm

For what it's worth;
1. Carlos Santana seems to have the best numbers at a critical position. He may make it easier to trade Shoppach this winter.
2. Matt LaPorta has the most pure power. A commodity the Indians are in short supply.
3. Beau Mills does everything you could ask for this year.
4. Scott Lewis - Lafey and Sowers have had chances, but Lewis seems to have the competitiveness to get the job done.
5. (Don't laugh) Abner Abreau - I wish we had a Fast Forward button.

Just missing my list - Wes Hodges. As for Adam Miller - it's time to play (a complete season).
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby npc29 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:28 pm

I think LaPorta has to top the list.. Saw the one playoff game in Akron and he has that quality a lot of people talk about a good hitter. The ball just sounds different when it comes off his bat. He showed a lot of patience too so I don't think he'll be a guy who either hits a home run or strikes out.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby jagon1119 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:58 pm

1. Santana
2. Mills
3. Laporta
4. Huff
5. Hodges
6. Weglarz
7. Miller
8. Lewis
9. De La Cruz
10. Rondon

Next 5 in no particular order Abreu, Crowe, Sipp, Jordan Brown and ptbnl
jagon1119
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby jellis » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:16 am

1.Santana 2. laporta 3. Weglarz 4. Mills 5 Huff 6. miller 7 Hodges 8 Rondon 9 Rivero 10 Chisenhall

I know I am the only one to mention Lonnie but with it looking like he can play SS he cracks in over Abreu and de la Cruz, just cant put a GCL player in the top ten. I am not as high on Lewis as everyone else he strikes me as very similar to Sowers hes a back of the rotation guy to me and with as deep as we are cant put a 5th SP into my top ten
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:09 pm

As you know from our past talks, I am probably more of a age/upside ranker than you are. I have also not ranked 3 potential top ten prospects until I have more information on Tony Sipp, Scott Lewis and PTBNL.

1. Matt LaPorta-Big RH bat has 30-40 HR potential and defense is underrated. Very close to ML ready.
2. Nick Weglarz-Only 20 and may have the most power upside in the organization. Improved defensively but strictly LF/1B.
3. Carlos Santana-Moved ahead of Mills because of progress to AA for playoffs and more valuable position.
4. Beau Mills-Big 2nd half offensively and is an ML ready 1B defensively already. Will keep LaPorta and Weglarz in the OF.
5. Hector Rondon-Big year at A+ with two plus pitches. Only 20 and dominated after slow start.
6. Carlos Rivero-19/20 at A+ with a huge 2nd half. Can he stay at SS? Will power develop next year?
7. David Huff-Best potential starter close to ML ready. Probably MOR ceiling but maybe higher.
8. Lonnie Chisenhall-19 and hitting well enough to possibly go to A+ next year. Move to 3B might lower ranking.
9. Adam Miller-Only potenial starter who has shown FOR ability. Does he still have it and can he return to starter?
10. Wes Hodges-Close to ML ready but could use work on plate discipline and defense. Above average ML but no star.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:09 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:As you know from our past talks, I am probably more of a age/upside ranker than you are. I have also not ranked 3 potential top ten prospects until I have more information on Tony Sipp, Scott Lewis and PTBNL.

1. Matt LaPorta-Big RH bat has 30-40 HR potential and defense is underrated. Very close to ML ready.
2. Nick Weglarz-Only 20 and may have the most power upside in the organization. Improved defensively but strictly LF/1B.
3. Carlos Santana-Moved ahead of Mills because of progress to AA for playoffs and more valuable position.
4. Beau Mills-Big 2nd half offensively and is an ML ready 1B defensively already. Will keep LaPorta and Weglarz in the OF.
5. Hector Rondon-Big year at A+ with two plus pitches. Only 20 and dominated after slow start.
6. Carlos Rivero-19/20 at A+ with a huge 2nd half. Can he stay at SS? Will power develop next year?
7. David Huff-Best potential starter close to ML ready. Probably MOR ceiling but maybe higher.
8. Lonnie Chisenhall-19 and hitting well enough to possibly go to A+ next year. Move to 3B might lower ranking.
9. Adam Miller-Only potenial starter who has shown FOR ability. Does he still have it and can he return to starter?
10. Wes Hodges-Close to ML ready but could use work on plate discipline and defense. Above average ML but no star.

I still think its awesome that we picked the same 10 guys, makes me feel a lot more solid about my rankings
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:39 am

Hey Jellis, I just noticed what you are saying about our rankings. I must confess that I am not as sure as you that Lewis does not belong and am waiting to see how he does against Chicago before making up my mind. Tony and I disagreed a bit last year on his ranking because I had him top 10. It is interesting that the talent is so deep that he might be lower than last year even with the year he has had. But several prospects have fallen seriously this year. I feel bad about my qualms on Sipp but his command has not come back completely. Want to see what he does this fall!

Shall we put this all down to great minds think alike? That isn't fair to Tony who is the great mind and I think his list will differ from ours in some respects.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:59 am

I think I am close to both of your lists.....the one glaring omition it Kelvin De La Cruz who certainly will be in my Top 10. One scout from earlier in the year (June) had him as a Top 5-7 guy. Another I talked to in July had him for sure Top 10, and a guy I spoke to at Myrtle Beach in August said Top 10 as well. And, even without those guys saying that, I felt that was the case....they just sort of back up my opinion on him. Left-handed, 19, and absolutely dominating the competiton. Sure he struggled in Kinston some, but he is so much more advanced at this stage than Rondon/Gomez were. Remember, at this time last year Rondon/Gomez were in LC and struggling. Kelvin had a big year in LC this year and I believe he'll have an even bigger year in Kinston next year and will settle in like ROndon there this year (but be more dominant).

Just my opinion on that.

Either way, there will be 3-5 guys who miss the Top 10 who should be in there....that's how strong the system is now. This will be a Top 10 ranked system for sure next year, probably Top 5.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:25 pm

More I thought about it more I think Lewis is like 11th for me, the sowers comp wasnt fair because that curve that lewis has really should set him apart. I know you are super high on De La Cruz, and hes a guy I really debated just barely outside for me though I would love to be proven wrong
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:28 am

Hi Jellis and Tony,

We got a problem on De La that will be difficult to resolve. I agree that he has a higher upside than Gomez and may be equal to Rondon but the fact is he is older than either by a month or so and is not nearly as advanced. Both Rondon and Gomez have completed a year at A+ while De La only pitched about 10 games. He was inconsistent and had command issues. When his performance during the same time frame is compared to Rondon and Gomez, De La comes up well short. I suspect that Rondon and Gomez, based on his performance in the last half, will be headed to Akron and De La will be in Kinston again. I am not saying he will not catch them. But I think your position that De La is more advanced at this stage (age) might merit review. Just my thoughts!

Lewis is really tough for me! He is not advanced for his age. In fact, he has actually pitched little professionally for his age. His command could be exceptional but I am afraid when the video makes its way around the league, he will have to make adjustments. His demeanor suggests that is possible but he has not gone thru what Sowers and Laffey have. If he gets moved into my top 10, i suspect it will be my heart doing it, not my head.

Another thing, I can make a case for any of my top 4 to be anywhere between 1-4. And 11-20 is really tough. I currently have three members of this years draft in that list but it is evolving. I could make top 10 cases for several players in 11-20.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby artgold » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:35 am

Santana, Carlos - bat started year very strong, and then improved for average and power every month of the season, .397 RISP BA
De La Cruz, Kelvin - great stuff, young for SAL and was exceptional, survived promotions without getting shelled at 19/20 years old
Huff, David - adequate stuff with great command, super BB/K ratios and generally kept ball in the park
LaPorta, Matt - tailed off toward end of season, excellent power and BB/K ratio for a young power hitter, BA of some concern, might be a .270 type hitter
Hodges, Wes - consolidated his very good performance last year with a repeat performance at higher level, looks like a possible .300/20/100 batter, glove ?

Miller, Adam - injuries over multiple seasons downgrade potential a bit, starting to look like a possible Dave Righetti conversion to relief
Mills, Beau - very good performance in tough hitter league, needs to have another good year to validate his ability
Weglarz, Nicholas - outstanding plate discipline with incredible BB/K and AB/BB ratios for his age, needs to put more extra base hits up to validate prospect look
Rondon, Hector - very young for league yet put up outstanding IP/H, IP/K and BB/K rates, Carolina 2nd in K's and 3rd in WHIP
Lewis, Scott - would have led EL in WHIP by a large margin if he had sufficient innings, continued great performance in four starts at Buffalo
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:45 pm

artgold wrote:Santana, Carlos - bat started year very strong, and then improved for average and power every month of the season, .397 RISP BA
De La Cruz, Kelvin - great stuff, young for SAL and was exceptional, survived promotions without getting shelled at 19/20 years old
Huff, David - adequate stuff with great command, super BB/K ratios and generally kept ball in the park
LaPorta, Matt - tailed off toward end of season, excellent power and BB/K ratio for a young power hitter, BA of some concern, might be a .270 type hitter
Hodges, Wes - consolidated his very good performance last year with a repeat performance at higher level, looks like a possible .300/20/100 batter, glove ?

Miller, Adam - injuries over multiple seasons downgrade potential a bit, starting to look like a possible Dave Righetti conversion to relief
Mills, Beau - very good performance in tough hitter league, needs to have another good year to validate his ability
Weglarz, Nicholas - outstanding plate discipline with incredible BB/K and AB/BB ratios for his age, needs to put more extra base hits up to validate prospect look
Rondon, Hector - very young for league yet put up outstanding IP/H, IP/K and BB/K rates, Carolina 2nd in K's and 3rd in WHIP
Lewis, Scott - would have led EL in WHIP by a large margin if he had sufficient innings, continued great performance in four starts at Buffalo

Nice writeup Art. Disagreeing with anything would be picky and immaterial. This is the first time i have seen so may posters in general agreement who the top ten are with minor exceptions. Individual placements might differ but everyone seems to have a grasp on the players. Nice to see!
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:49 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:Nice writeup Art. Disagreeing with anything would be picky and immaterial. This is the first time i have seen so may posters in general agreement who the top ten are with minor exceptions. Individual placements might differ but everyone seems to have a grasp on the players. Nice to see!

Yeah, there is certainly clarity on the Top 10 guys. For sure the Top 5-7. But man, from 10-25 the list is really interchangeable and tough to figure out. A clear sign this organization has re-established the farm system.....we will have some nice players around #20-30 who last year were Top 10 guys or would have been Top 10 guys last year had they been in our system then.

Got a feeling we'll take a few hits though with the depth of the system and with some of the elite guys as I think Shapiro finally uses some of these guys in a deal as currency to get a player or two to fill needed holes at the ML level.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:07 pm

Better to have the players in the system and not need them then to need them and not have them in the system.

BTW Tony, you trying to drum up more individuals for my yearly 'prospect ranking project'?? ;)
I can always use more informed opinions, especially if they rank players out to 25 (with 5 more honorable mentions). :geek: :lol:
Last edited by MadThinker88 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby timdav » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:50 pm

1-Santana
2-Laporta
3-Huff
4-Hodges
5-Mills

The scary thing for Indians fans is, in my opinion, our top 2 prospects weren't drafted or developed in the Indians system.

If I were the Dolans, even Mark Shaprio & his top assistants...I'd do a pretty serious examination of the Indians' coaching, developmental, and scouting staffs.

A small-market revenue team absolutely has to have a top-notch development and scouting staff. That does not seem to be a strength of the Tribe organization in the past decade.
timdav
Draft Prospect

Postby dnosco » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:49 pm

1. Huff
2. Laporta
3. Santana
4. Mills
5. Hodges
6. Weglarz
7. Adam Miller
8. Scott Lewis
9. Hector Rondon
10. John Meloan
11. Jeff Stevens
12. Green, if that is who we get from the Brewers
13. Jordan Brown - I think he will bounce back
14. Kelvin De La Cruz
15. Lonnie Chisenhall

Why Huff? Each of #s 2 through 4 have significant warts. While Huff may, too, he is a left-handed starting pitcher which is much harder to find than a power hitter who potentially can't field, a hitting catcher of questionable defensive skills (I see a lot of Max Ramirez in Santana and Max Ramirez is not a top prospect which is why I rate him behind LaPorta and only ahead of Mills and Hodges because Santana plays a premium position), a first baseman who is short on power for the position and a third baseman with a questionable glove who may not hit for enough power and/or be athletic enough to play anywhere else.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:50 pm

timdav wrote:If I were the Dolans, even Mark Shaprio & his top assistants...I'd do a pretty serious examination of the Indians' coaching, developmental, and scouting staffs.

A small-market revenue team absolutely has to have a top-notch development and scouting staff. That does not seem to be a strength of the Tribe organization in the past decade.

Agreed. And welcome aboard timdav.

Thankfully, it appears the Indians have turned things around as they have had what looks so far like three good to very good drafts in a row from 2006-2008.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:56 pm

dnosco wrote:....a hitting catcher of questionable defensive skills (I see a lot of Max Ramirez in Santana and Max Ramirez is not a top prospect which is why I rate him behind LaPorta and only ahead of Mills and Hodges because Santana plays a premium position).....

Have to disagree with this. Santana is one of the most athletic catchers in baseball. He has good speed at the position, is very athletic, obviously has the offensive tools, and has an absolute cannon for an arm. The one thing he needs work on is the defense with throwing mechanics, blocking balls, calling games, receiving the ball, etc....all things he has worked on since moving to catcher and continues to improve upon. The feeling is he is going to be an above average defenseive catcher. You add that to his athleticism, running ability, plate discilpine, power potential, bat-to-ball ability, and so on......boy do the Indians have something here.

He is the most complete player in the system, and to me will be hard to not be #1.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:00 pm

Consigliere wrote:
dnosco wrote:....a hitting catcher of questionable defensive skills (I see a lot of Max Ramirez in Santana and Max Ramirez is not a top prospect which is why I rate him behind LaPorta and only ahead of Mills and Hodges because Santana plays a premium position).....

Have to disagree with this. Santana is one of the most athletic catchers in baseball. He has good speed at the position, is very athletic, obviously has the offensive tools, and has an absolute cannon for an arm. The one thing he needs work on is the defense with throwing mechanics, blocking balls, calling games, receiving the ball, etc....all things he has worked on since moving to catcher and continues to improve upon. The feeling is he is going to be an above average defenseive catcher. You add that to his athleticism, running ability, plate discilpine, power potential, bat-to-ball ability, and so on......boy do the Indians have something here.

He is the most complete player in the system, and to me will be hard to not be #1.

took the words right out of my mouth, in general dennis you seem a bit down on the system not really solid on a lot of guys on this team, I like Meloan but if hes in the top ten I take it in general you really arent solid on too many people
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:07 pm

I'm not looking to speak for Dennis (he is more then capable of explaining himself if he desired) but I look at Meloan's numbers at a starter this season with a grain of salt. Considering John's success as a reliever in the prior seasons I am still baffled by the decision to move John to the rotation.

Considering the success that John has had as a reliever this season, I am giving John serious consideration for my top 10. Too each their own.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dnosco » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:28 pm

Guys,

I have to disagree with your disagreement. :lol:

Look at the Dodgers' history. They don't really give away top prospects very often and, when they do, they have to get a top major leaguer in return (see our return for Shuey and Bradley: essentially mirages and not true prospects). It is almost inconceivable that the Dodgers would trade a player as good as you guys say Santana is for a two-month rental of Casey freakin' Blake. Yeah, they get two draft choices out of it but probably one won't be a first-rounder because I can't imagine any team giving up a first round pick to sign Blake. Santana was in the 20s last year as a Dodgers' prospect and this is a breakout year for him, not the norm. Look at his numbers. He never came close to these numbers before. Hey, Max Ramirez is about a year and a half older but, to me, the similarities are there. So, I will wait and see on Santana. If I hadn't read all the stuff on him I might have bumped him down to #5 so #3 is a compomise for me.

As far as our top prospects, look at the numbers. None of them are producing offensively what you would want for that position in the majors except Santana, who might never be a major league catcher. Hey, he might, but a guy who has been catching for two seasons of his life is not a sure thing at that position, by any means. I mean look at Victor. It took incredibly hard work for him to be average defensively.

Regarding Meloan, Tony can tell you that I look at value to the next year's ML team in my evaluations. Of all the prospects we have, Meloan, along with Stevens, have the chance to impact our team next year the most, after Huff. So, they may not be the best prospects in the world but they ARE prospects (Meloan was the Dodgers' #8 before this season) and they WILL have a chance to play a significant role on the Indians next year so I bump them up a little. Also, both of them have the potential to close going forward which also raises them on my list.

LaPorta has game-changing power but even he has played only 1+ years of pro ball so the jury is still out on him. It's not like he has a long history.

So, I think the Indians have mucho solid prospects but no prospect who is a clear #1 this year. That is why I went with Huff. He is likely to contribute next year in a high profile position or be a trade chip this winter (doubtful with the injuries to Laffey and Reyes, however). He is a lefty starter who throws in the low 90s, apparently.

Great discussion, people....hopefully leading into a great top 50 prospects this next winter1
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:45 am

dnosco wrote:Guys,

I have to disagree with your disagreement. :lol:

Look at the Dodgers' history. They don't really give away top prospects very often and, when they do, they have to get a top major leaguer in return (see our return for Shuey and Bradley: essentially mirages and not true prospects). It is almost inconceivable that the Dodgers would trade a player as good as you guys say Santana is for a two-month rental of Casey freakin' Blake. Yeah, they get two draft choices out of it but probably one won't be a first-rounder because I can't imagine any team giving up a first round pick to sign Blake. Santana was in the 20s last year as a Dodgers' prospect and this is a breakout year for him, not the norm. Look at his numbers. He never came close to these numbers before. Hey, Max Ramirez is about a year and a half older but, to me, the similarities are there. So, I will wait and see on Santana. If I hadn't read all the stuff on him I might have bumped him down to #5 so #3 is a compomise for me.

As far as our top prospects, look at the numbers. None of them are producing offensively what you would want for that position in the majors except Santana, who might never be a major league catcher. Hey, he might, but a guy who has been catching for two seasons of his life is not a sure thing at that position, by any means. I mean look at Victor. It took incredibly hard work for him to be average defensively.

Regarding Meloan, Tony can tell you that I look at value to the next year's ML team in my evaluations. Of all the prospects we have, Meloan, along with Stevens, have the chance to impact our team next year the most, after Huff. So, they may not be the best prospects in the world but they ARE prospects (Meloan was the Dodgers' #8 before this season) and they WILL have a chance to play a significant role on the Indians next year so I bump them up a little. Also, both of them have the potential to close going forward which also raises them on my list.

LaPorta has game-changing power but even he has played only 1+ years of pro ball so the jury is still out on him. It's not like he has a long history.

So, I think the Indians have mucho solid prospects but no prospect who is a clear #1 this year. That is why I went with Huff. He is likely to contribute next year in a high profile position or be a trade chip this winter (doubtful with the injuries to Laffey and Reyes, however). He is a lefty starter who throws in the low 90s, apparently.

Great discussion, people....hopefully leading into a great top 50 prospects this next winter1

This could be an all-time big moment but i happen to agree with a lot that Dennis says. He and i clearly evaluate prospects differently but his points are clearly on point. I tend to rank more on age related progress and upside but each method is defendable. I think your point on Santana is good and notice we rank him in the same place. :o
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Timmyb » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:28 pm

Seth (Los Angeles): Are the Dodgers going to get burned by the Casey Blake deal in two years? Is Carlos Santana going to rock in the majors?

Keith Law: Yes. It will turn out that they gave up more for Blake than they did for Santana.
Timmyb
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby jellis » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:52 pm

i like Meloan and I am not knocking him hes 13 or 14 on my list, I haven't hammered out past 10, just hard for me to put a MR in my top ten. I think the guy could be an excellent pitcher, but with any MR I am leery, and got to say i dont think you can compare shuey deal to blake deal, totally different people running these teams and the dodgers have made more than a few stinker moves over the last few years
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby TheWord » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:27 pm

1. Carlos Santana - C
Santana burst back onto the prospect map this year after a rough year in 2007, mostly because of the transition to catcher. This kid has it all, hits for average, great patience, some power, some speed, and most importantly his defense behind the plate is something that will have a direct positive effect on a pitching staff. As a converted infielder who had athleticism, this kid brings a Russell Martin type game to the fold for the Indians. I honestly think we could see this kid in Cleveland late next season if he continues to hit at AA to open next season. The top prospect in the Indians system and I feel he might be the 1A behind Matt Wieters.

2. Matt LaPorta - LF
This kid may as well be 1B on this list. He brings a traditional power bat from the right handed side of the plate, something this team has lacked since Juan Gonzalez left. He has some decent patience at the plate and displays the ability to hit to all fields. His defense has been a pleasant surprise in left, leading me to believe he could stay there long term and be a little more than servicable. He has what Cleveland's lineup has been lacking, and it will only be a matter of time, or injury, before we see LaPorta roaming left field for the Indians next year. I think he will start off in AAA and be the first option if somebody at the big league club underperforms or gets injured.

3. Beau Mills - 1B
What a stud this guy could be. A 52 percent hard hit percentage is just incredible for a guy playing his first full year of professional baseball. He can hit for power, drive in runs, and produce a very high OBP because he can take a walk with his improving understanding of the strikezone. He will start next season as the 1st baseman at AA and be a fixture in the middle of the lineup for most of next year. I expect them to give him a full year at AA due to the logjam at 1st base in AAA the majors. Ryan Garko, Michael Aubrey, Travis Hafner and Victor Martinez are fixed in Cleveland's 1B/DH spot, and until there is some movement with some guys who aren't living up to potential (Garko) or big contracts (Hafner), I would take my time with a player like Mills who could use the extra time to work on plate discipline and defense.

4. Adam Miller - RHP
Oh Adam Miller, what would another year be without Adam Miller on the list of Indians top prospects. Now if only he could contribute a full season of work to prove such lofty rankings on prospect lists. Shame on me again for drinking the kool-aid again this year as Miller will move to the bullpen full time. What we all saw in this kid as a starter has the potential to be a DYNAMITE set up man to Jensen Lewis or even a potential closer if Lewis struggles. The kid has great velocity, a plus plus offspeed pitch and a decent/good change up, which makes him a formidable match-up in the late innings. What more is there to say, you and I and everyone else knows he has the talent, if he stays on the field, he'll be a stud. Period.

5. David Huff - LHP
On a team that doesn't lack crafty left handers, Huff might have the most potential of the bunch. His numbers in over 200 innings of minor league time speak for themselves (2.70 ERA, 4:1 K/BB ratio, 1.07 WHIP). This season he improved his K:BB ratio and his WHIP while splitting time between AA and AAA. He has nothing left to prove in the minor leagues and should be given every chance to join a now somewhat thin rotation in Cleveland. He'll only 2 starters entrenched in Cleveland, he will compete with Zach Jackson, Anthony Reyes, Aaron Laffey, Jeremy Sowers, and Scott Lewis along with whatever GM Mark Shapiro brings in through free agency this coming winter.

6. Wes Hodges - 3B
Hodges had quite a year at AA this season, but the Indians inexplicably did not move him up to AAA despite Morgan Ensburg putting up Andy Marte-esque numbers from the hot corner in Buffalo. Hodges showed the ability to drive in runs at a high, but his power numbers are somewhat concerning. He'll begin the season in AAA and could find himself behind the aforementioned Andy Marte, or possibly even Jhonny Peralta next season in Cleveland.

7. Nick Weglarz - OF
Not as high on him as some in the Indians organization. Reminds me more of Brad Snyder, although younger for A+. Shows fantastic patience at the plate but the power isn't there yet nor is the average. With the glut of young outfielders ahead of him in the Indians organization, it will be tough for him to make an impact in the Indians organization.

8. Lonnie Chisenhall - SS
Had a GREAT start to his career at Short Season Mahoning Valley, showed great plate discipline and played solid defense at shortstop. His place in the top 10 will depend on his position, because his power potential is probably not that great, but the kid is a natural born hitter and has a place in anyone's top 10 list. Will have his first full season at A ball next seasons and for the time being plans to stay at short. I have doubts that he can stay there long term, but if he begins to show power potential it makes sense to move him to 3rd or maybe 2nd.

9. Scott Lewis - LHP
Made quite an impression with 3 late season starts in Cleveland. Coming off arm problems which have plagued him throughout his career, he seems to have made a full recovery and was flat out dominant at AA and AAA this season before getting a September callup. Showed a veteran-like poise and understanding of pitching and how to get guys out. Will battle for a spot in the rotation along with a glut of other next season.

10. Kelvin De La Cruz - LHP
Was completely torn between De La Cruz and Hector Rondon for the final spot in my top 10. De La Cruz started off at Lake County and was untouchable, recording an ERA of 1.69 in 18 starts. He moved up late in the season and was knocked around a bit at high A and AA. We must remember that at only 20 years old he was one of the youngest players in both leagues and will continue to get better as a pitcher. Adding a little more weight to his 6'4-6'5 frame wouldn't hurt either if he is to figure in Cleveland's long term plans. I feel that as his changeup improves, so will De La Cruz, the changeup from the left-side is one of the hardest pitches to hit and pitchers like Johan Santana and Cole Hamels are making a great living off of it. He could be number 1 by next season, he could drop off the list completely, it's all on Kelvin to grow as a pitcher.

Just missed:

Hector Rondon - RHP
Tony Sipp - LHP
Jeff Stevens - RHP
Joe Meloan - RHP
Chris Gimenez - C/Util
Carlos Rivero - SS

Watch list for 2010:

Trey Haley - RHP
Zach Putnam - RHP
Cord Phelps - 2B
Elvis Araujo - LHP
Abner Abreu - SS/3B
TheWord
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:19 am

Good discussion everyone. Lots of great points.....keep 'em coming.

Yeah, Meloan and Stevens are relievers and it will be hard to put them Top 10. Both should fall in the 11-20 range though.

Sipp is an interesting guy. He is clearly a Top 10 talent with the stuff, ability, and makeup. And now that he is 100% recovered from Tommy John I expect him to have a HUGE year next year and be one of those impact guys the Indians rely on next year like they did with Perez/Lewis in the 2007 bully. Gotta say that Sipp is in my mix for the Top 10. If he misses Top 10, then he is #11 or #12 at worst. Love this cat.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby murt » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:24 pm

1a Laporta - Steady 3 or 5 hitter, 25-30 hr/yr. V nice work ethic and approach to game. Superb trade for both the Brewers and Indians regardless of ptbnl.
1b Weglarz - More power, discipline and athleticism than LaPorta and Mills. Rises to elite pressure situations as a youth. (key!) Will he play for Canada in the WBC?
3a Rondon - Mature, and superb approach for such a young kid. Excellent futures game outing. Small reach here, but tremendous upside for a team obsessed with 8 foot ceilings.
3b Santana - Confidence is brimming, and wide package, as noted by many. Might surpass Martin's offerings in LA. Could be top prospect in one year. Potential stud.
5 Mills - Amongst all, best right now at barrel feel. Along with Laporta and Weglarz, forms a popeye treo (bye bye TH)
6 Huff
7 De La Cruz
8 Rivero
9 Miller
10 Hodges
murt
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:10 pm

I've got Santana #1 and to be honest, I don't think it's that close of a competiton.

In my mind, Laporta has Santana beat in just 1 aspect and that's power. Santana I think will hit for a higher average, will get on base more with better discipline, plays a much more premium position defensively and has LaPorta by a mile in defensive capabilities (even if Carlos is still a little rough round the edges).

Now, if Santana didn't project for any power than LaPorta would be in with a chance in my mind. But, with Santana's athletic ability and quick swing I think he projects as a 40 2B/20+HR guy down the road. So, in my mind, Santana is clearly #1.

Right now, my top 5 is:

1. Santana
2. LaPorta
3. Weglarz
4. Mills
5. Huff

But, I have flip-flopped Weglarz/Mills in my head about 20 times over the past couple of weeks, so that is subject to change!! haha

Outside of the top 5...... I count about 10 guys (Hodges, Sipp, Miller, Meloan, De La Cruz, Crowe, Rondon, Stevens, Lewis, Rivero, Chisenhall..... and maybe more) worthy or making a top 10 list, narrowing them down to just 5 right now has been tough..... I still can't totally make my mind up.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jhonny » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:47 pm

My rankings are more probability than ceiling.

1. Laporta
2. Santana. If they were both at AA, I'd flip them without hesitation. If Laporta spends most of the year in AAA next year and is still eligible, and Santana does at AA what he did at A ball, I'll flip them. Close for me but not as close as some others. To each their own, I guess.
3. Weglarz I like Weglarz' plate discipline. I think it helps him a lot in AA.
4. Mills.
5. Miller. Who knows. I don't.
6. Hodges. See what I said about Laporta.
7. Huff
8. Rondon
9. De La Cruz
10. Lewis. Like Miller, I'm punishing him for injuries. OTOH, who would have ever bet he would break into the majors before Miller?
jhonny
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby toledobuck » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:07 pm

Just for comparison sake, I found this list on scout.com that shows the top 100 prospects from all of minor league baseball effective 2008. I am sure this list was made during or at beginning of this season and will most definitely change here this offseason.

http://indians.scout.com/a.z?s=264&p=9& ... 88&yr=2008
toledobuck
Rookie Baller

Postby artgold » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:31 pm

My 11-20 rankings, with comments:

Sipp, Tony - came back strong after initial struggle from injury return, looks like a potential closer
Chisenhall, Lonnie - solid performance in high rookie despite being 2 years younger than average, outstanding RISP BA, and doubles power indicates future HR
Rivero, Carlos - improved BA and retained decent power despite tougher park and 3 years younger than league average, ended season very stong
Stevens, Jeff - super IP/H and IP/K rates, .184 BA against after a .194 last season
Miller, Ryan - started very strong then struggled, but kept up K rate as his performance deteriorated, stuff still there

Crowe, Trevor - outstanding at Akron and still managed to retain extra base power at Buffalo, good BB/K rate and still a great athlete
Archer, Chris - great IP/H rate and good IP/K rate, has trouble with BBs but improved somewhat to 7 BBs in last 20 innings
Tomlin, Josh - outstanding number when converted to relief, 11.5Ks per 9 innings, a WHIP under 1.00 and .201 BA against
Bryson, Rob - WHIP under 1.00 and BA against under .180 after a shaky April
Abreu, Abner - led GCL in doubles, HRs and slugging %, only 18 and needs to significantly improve plate discipline to become a top prospect
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby gotribe31 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:18 pm

1. Nick Weglarz--More than held his own as a 20 year old in High-A Kinston. Big, strong and very projectable, Weglarz is already reminding people of Jim Thome. Might be a surprise for some to see him at the top of this list, but they don't make many kids this size with his plate discipline. Put on a show as a member of the Canadian Olympic team as well.

2. Matt LaPorta--One of the top power prospects in the minor leagues. Struggled a bit after the trade to the Indians organization, but was dealing with not only the trade but family issues, the Futures Game and the Olympics all at once. There will be pressure on LaPorta to perform after being the key to the C.C. trade, but he can handle it. Expect him to start the season in Columbus, but to be the 1st callup if the offense struggles, a la Ben Francisco in 2008.

3. Carlos Santana--Big, strong, young and athletic. Santana won the MVP in the High-A Cali League despite being traded out of it mid-season. The Cali League is considered to be more of a hitters league than the Carolina League, so lots of people were projecting his numbers to come back down to earth once he arrived in Kinston. They did the exact opposite. Only 22, he could fill a Max Ramirez type role for the Indians next year, arriving earlier than projected in the event of an injury. His bat is that good. His defense was much maligned at the time of the trade, but was reportedly much better than advertised. Plus, he runs well for a catcher. If Shoppach is moved, Santana is a big reason why.

4. Beau Mills--The second High-A MVP in the Indians organization, Mills put up quality power numbers in a pitchers league, and is only 21. Regarded as one of the top power prospects in the 2007 draft, Mills has a cnance to move through the system very quickly because of his offensive tools. The only thing that can hold him back is his shaky defense and plate discipline, as he strikes out almost twice as much as he walks. Mills will be in the Arizona Fall League this year, playing against better competition than he saw at Kinston.

5. David Huff--Closer to ML-ready than any starting pitching prospect currently in the organization, Huff kicked the door down in Buffalo this year after starting the season in Akron. Huff is another of those command and control types who doesn't overwhelm you with his stuff but has been extremely effective nonetheless. Huff will have a shot at a rotation spot out of Goodyear in 2009.

6. Wes Hodges--The latest 3B off the Georgia Tech assembly line, Hodges is a quality player at a position of need in the organization. Hodges popped 18 HR's in Akron last year, and is solid defensively. Look for him to start the season at Columbus with a chance to play his way up to Cleveland next year.

7. Hector Rondon--A power starting pitching prospect in an organization that doesn't have many, Rondon blew scouts away at the Futures Game at the ripe old age of 20. A live arm in a projectable 6-3 body, Rondon will have plenty of time to fill out his frame before he gets the call to Cleveland. Averaged more than a strikeout per inning in High-A ball this year.

8. Scott Lewis-- Looked great in his audition in Cleveland, but I am a little nervous because of the "Jeremy Sowers Rule." Guys who are effective in the minors more because of their command worry me a bit, but Lewis has three quality pitches that he can throw whenever he wants. Besides, everyone likes cheering for a Buckeye!

9. Adam Miller--The talent is there, no doubt. But the never-ending string of injuries, plus a move to the bullpen leaves him hanging on at the bottom of the top-10.

10. Tony Sipp--If Sipp is fully recovered from Tommy John surgery, look out. A big, strong guy with a live arm, Sipp is the kind of player GM's love to see slot into the back end of a bullpen. Sipp seems to have a closer mentality, and could see time in Cleveland as soon as 2009.
gotribe31
Draft Prospect

Postby MadThinker88 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:34 pm

I was wondering when someone would put Weglarz at the top of the prospect listing.....
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:45 pm

Gotribe..... that's a good list.

Personally, I don't see Weglarz as #1 right now..... he's not far off, but I still think he's a tick short of taking off to that status (although I like him a lot - probably #3, maybe #4).

The names (not the order) of your top 10 are the same as mine, except I've got DLC in mine ahead of Lewis.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby gotribe31 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:36 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Gotribe..... that's a good list.

Personally, I don't see Weglarz as #1 right now..... he's not far off, but I still think he's a tick short of taking off to that status (although I like him a lot - probably #3, maybe #4).

The names (not the order) of your top 10 are the same as mine, except I've got DLC in mine ahead of Lewis.

At this moment, its tough to have him as the #1 prospect based on performance on the field. But he looks like he can be so damn good! He's only 20, playing in High-A ball, and he's just so big and so strong that I think he can become so much more in a few years.

Plus, its easy to put Santana or LaPorta at the top of the list :)
gotribe31
Draft Prospect

Postby petes999 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:05 am

This is a hard list to do ... a good bunch of players to pick from

1) LaPorta - His numbers should go higher as he has only played basically 1 season (131 games) ... sometimes it takes that long just to get familiar with a wooden bat and he did it mostly in AA. Looking at Longoria ... he had 62 games his rookie year and hit .315 with 18 HRs and LaPorta did .304 with 12 HRs in 30 games. 2nd year Longoria did .299 with 26 HRs and Laporta did .280 with 22 HRs (hampered by all the travel as well). Thus, I think we get a Longoria (rookie of the year if not injured) just in the OF instead of 3b (a knock there). I would love to see LaPorta up in June of next year after Dellucci is dumped on his ass.

2) Santana - Only reason he is not #1 is this is his 1st breakout year and he did it at A+. I want to see him do it at AA before I put him ahead of LaPorta. Plus, I think LaPorta will have the edge at bat (more HRs) yet Santana gets it due to being at a skilled position player (a good one at that). You could even make an argument that he will be a better bat than LaPorta, as he hit .300 his rookie year (only one dinger) and .280 his second year (split high rookie and A+) with 10 HRs yet I need to see him do it at AA.

3) Mills - It is only his second year in the minors where he hit .291 with 21 HRs. Yet, if you look at the splits, he hit .321 with 12 HRs his second half. Hafner in his 4th year hit .346 with 22 HRs at age 23 (Mills is 21 - 1 year younger than Santana) so he probably develops into a better bat than Santana yet his position will hurt him (average to slightly better than average 1B/DH). If he could have held onto 3B, he would rate a little higher. Yet, not a bad 1/2/3 combo.

4) Miller - I am battling here for who gets this between him and Weglarz. He has shown nothing the last two years due to being injured. Yet, he always had the potential to be a #1/2 starter which I don't think you discount. I just go back to when he is not injured he put up good #s at A/A+ ball (his 2nd year when young) and AA 3 years ago where his WHIP was 1.1 range. If not injured he is #1 (and a top 5 pitcher). If he is not bullpen, he drops to #8 or so. Thus, let's average them.

5) Weglarz - He is Brantley after 8 years in the gym (great plate discipline). After an o.k. first half hitting .265, he hit .318 in July before going to the Olympics. I know others put him higher, yet I want to see his July repeated ... if he does, goes up above Mills due to being an outfielder and a better plate discipline. I think with his plate discipline he can be great, however, the low batting average through out his career worries me a bit (.270 22 HRs is not bad, yet not a 1-3 talent on this team yet).

6) Huff - He just got better throughout the year. T0 have a WHIP of 1.0 in just his second year at AA/AAA (factoring in he lost a good part of last year due to injury). You could argue him higher. Yet potential wise, I never seen him looked at as a #1/#2 starter. Yet, if he did what he did this year, he very well could be. He just needs to repeat what he did this year and he will be in the rotation by June.

7) Rondon - I think he has more potential than Huff, yet further down in the system. In the second half, he held opposing hitters to .214 average. His ERA was a bit high, yet you are talking about Miller #s here with a 1.2 WHIP. And, 20 years old is young for the leagure.

8) De La Cruz - Next year, watch out. He will start at A+, yet finish at AA. You can point to bad A+ numbers at the end of the year. Yet, Rondon had a bad april before settling down and Kevin had not pitched more than 15 games a year before then he did 27 this year. I think he wore down like Hodges

9) Hodges - Good grief ... this low. A .290 hitter with 20-25 HR potential is good (Peralta) and this is just his 2nd year (already at AA for full season due to being injured his 1st year and not playing at rookie ball). After the 2nd half of last year, I can see how people are down on him. Yet, the 1st half and 2nd half are night and day (.315/.238 Avg. 72/28 RBI). I take Tony's opinion that he just broke down physically especially being injured 3 years ago and not playing. I would like to see the splits last year to see if the same thing happened. Yet, even this year he went from 100 games to 133 games. I would like to see him up next year. I don't know if he can go the whole year yet split him with Carrol and I can live with it more than Barfield at 2nd and pushing Peralta over. People dog him on his fielding due to errors, yet Escobar (MIL SS) had 21 and Hodges has 29. One idea to strech Hodges out is to have Giminez back up Martinez and sub for Hodges at 3rd. Yet, being just his 3rd year, I doubt Wedge will go with Hodges next year even over Carrol.

10) Sipp - You can go many different directions here. Yet, I will go with his potential to be a closer as a lefty. I don't know if he will see the ML next year due to needing to be streched out. Yet, if we fall out of playoff race, he will be up by Sept.

Other guys just missing -- Chisenhall, Abreu, Stevens, Meloan, Lewis, Brantley, ..... Our 11-20 could rival some 3-10 lists ...
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:11 pm

Everyone has their own opinions....but here's mine:

1. LaPorta - OF/1B. Like everyone has said, has the ability to hit for 30-40 HRs and drive in 120 runs at the ML level. Is underrated in the OF, and I think he'll stay there (though 1B isnt' out of the question). Can play both RF and LF, like a Manny Ramirez or Albert Belle type (read this comparison from a scout's review).

2. Beau Mills - 1B (and I guess 3B). Probably will never play 3B at the ML level.....but crazier things have happened. He'll most likely be the reason LaPorta stays in the OF. Garko better come out strong in 2009 or in 2010 1B could possibly belong to Mills. he's that good. Could put up 30 HRs and 100 RBIs at the ML level. Having a ML coach as a dad sure helped him....

3. Wes Hodges - 3B. His defense appears pretty suspect....yet last year was voted the best defensive 3B in the Carolina league by some people. Can rake, but isn't the youngest guy at AA. Will be interesting to see how he does at AAA in 2009. If the Tribe signs an IF or trades for one that's gonna be around longer than 1 year (Atkins, Uggla, or Hudson) then I can see Hodges moved for another need.

4. David Huff - LHSP. Is said to be as advanced with his stuff as Sowers was when he first came up....that turned out very well (at least in 2006). Some even think his stuff is better than Sowers' at this point. Projects as solid #4 with #3 and possibly #2 potential thanks to his deep arsenal.

5. Carlos Santana - C. Can rake, we all saw what he did this year. Can also play 3B and the OF. Has a great arm behind the dish and handles himself nicely back there. Still only at A-ball so needs to show that 2008 wasn't a fluke. Could be ready by 2010 but most likely won't get rushed. Vic is signed through 2010 so 2011 could be the dawn of the Santana era behind the plate. His ability to play multiple positions could get him some regular playing time in 2010 as well.

6. Nick Weglarz - OF. Young but has tons of potential. Has the power you want from a cOF spot and is still developing. With LaPorta, Brantley, and Crowe (not to mention Grady and the rest of the big leaguers) at higher leves, he'll have time to continue to develop and shouldn't be rushed (though AA is in store for 2009 with Mills). Him and LaPorta in left and rightfield would conjure up memories of Belle/Ramirez in 95 and 96....

7. Michael Brantley - OF/1B. Is a Kenny Lofton clone practically at this point. Has a lot less SBs but his plate discipline is far more advanced for his age compared to Kenny. Some scouts were concerned with his defense and thought he'd be moved to 1B, but he showed great improvement in LF and then handled CF very nicely when Lorenzo Cain got hurt. Has the potential to put up .400+ OBP numbers from the leadoff spot and steal 40 bases.

8. Jon Meloan - RHP. May seem high....but I think this is actually pretty low for him. Mulitple online sources have him as a top 100 prospect in all of baseball. He's go the stuff to be a closer in the MLs. Some think he's better than Broxton. His fastball hit 94 as a starter...and some think he can get it up to 96 if strictly a reliever (was as starter for LA's AAA team in 08). If the Tribe doesn't get a closer in the offseason, I'd put some money on this guy having the job at some point during the season.

9. Adam Miller - RHP. Seems like he's been around forever. Has the best raw stuff of any pitcher in this system and most other systems. Health has been a HUGE problem obviously. The upcoming move to the bullpen could be just what the doctor ordered. He lost some velocity on his fastball (down to 97 from 101, not like 97 isn't bad)...and could see that come back if only having to pitch 1 inning per outing. Has the potential to be a lockdown closer in the MLs or if moved back to the rotation a great #2.

10. Hector Rondon - RHSP. Had an amazing year and named one of the top prospects at A-ball. Could see time at Akron and with an outside shot at Columbus next year depending on how fast the Tribe wants to move him along. Could be the best pitcher on this list.

Our 11-20 prospects (like many have said) are quite outstanding too. We had a middle of the road farm system going into 2008....and have come out with a top 10, possibly top 5 (though that may be stretching it).

11. Jordan Brown - 1B/LF
12. Scott Lewis - LHSP
13. Trevor Crowe - OF
14. Josh Rodriguez - SS/2B
15. Jeff Stevens - RHSP
16. Tony Sipp - LHRP
17. Kelvin de la Cruz - LHSP
18. Lonnie Chisenhall - SS/3B
19. Ryan Miller - LHSP
20. Rob Bryson - RHRP (though out for most, if not all of 2009 with shoulder injury)

21-30 isn't too shabby either (guys like Logren, Abreu, Tomlin, Phelps, Rivero, Toregas, Gimenez, etc)....

Didn't put Michael Aubrey on this list either though he could be considered a prospect. Think he's out of minor league options so I'm leaving him off the list.....he'd be top 20 though.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TribeInDrive » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:11 am

My list:
1. Carlos Santana
2. Matt LaPorta
3. David Huff
4. Nick Weglarz
5. Beau Mills
6. Adam Miller
7. Hector Rondon
8. De La Cruz
9. Wes Hodges
10. Michael Brantley

That could change by the time I post this, but for now that is how it looks.
TribeInDrive
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Jake Taylor » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:45 pm

Assuming we're eliminating anyone that has seen action at the Major League level (successfully crossing Scott Lewis off my list) here are who I believe are the Indians Top 10 prospects, barring trades, heading into the 2009 season.

Matt LaPorta
#1 Hitter, #1 Overall

Carlos Santana
#2 Hitter, #2 Overall

David Huff
#1 Pitcher, #3 Overall

Beau Mills
#3 Hitter, #4 Overall

Wes Hodges
#4 Hitter, #5 Overall

Hector Rondon
#2 Pitcher, #6 Overall

Adam Miller
#3 Pitcher, #7 Overall

Kelvin De La Cruz
#4 Pitcher, #8 Overall

Nick Weglarz
#5 Hitter, #9 Overall

Lonnie Chisenhall
#6 Hitter, #10 Overall

... I'm looking for Carlos Rivero to break out next season along with Cord Phelps and Abner Abreu. If a couple of the players above move into the Majors, I expect those to be the players next on the list to jump into the Top 10 for 2010.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby JP_Frost » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:13 pm

Alright, here's my top 10:

1. Matt LaPorta
2. Carlos Santana
3. Adam Miller
4. Beau Mills
5. Nick Weglarz
6. David Huff
7. Wes Hodges
8. Hector Rondon
9. Lonnie Chisenhall
10. Kelvin De La Cruz
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:25 pm

Jake Taylor wrote:Assuming we're eliminating anyone that has seen action at the Major League level (successfully crossing Scott Lewis off my list) here are who I believe are the Indians Top 10 prospects, barring trades, heading into the 2009 season.

No, only eliminating people that aren't eligible to be prospects. Guys like Ben Francisco and Aaron Laffey were still on the list going into this year even though they had ML experience.....

At least that's how BA and BP do it......
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby gotribe31 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:44 pm

To clarify, if they are eligible for the ROY Award, they are still considered "prospects" in most circles.
gotribe31
Draft Prospect

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:49 pm

gotribe31 wrote:To clarify, if they are eligible for the ROY Award, they are still considered "prospects" in most circles.

The cut offs are 130AB or 50IP.

There are service time cut offs too (I think 45 consecutive days on a ML roster??), but I'm not sure if the main publications use them.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:16 pm

Yeah the IP and AB threshold for rookies Daz posted is what most people follow. Service time also factors in for rookies, which is 60 days or less....but service time is usually not considered when ranking prospects.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby dnosco » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:52 pm

You know, as I think about it, Kinston is a really difficult place to hit and I think the CL is a pitcher's league with the parks and the small number of teams. Mills' HR numbers play pretty well if that is the case. If so I can imagine him breaking out next year at Akron.

Rivero, I really worry about. He doesn't appear to have his head in the game. Latin players usually will do what is necessary to get to the majors. I hope Rivero does, too.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:30 pm

I redid my list recently after I wrote those last columns I am 20 deep will try and post that in this thread soon

I agree CL is a pitchers league though that doesnt bode well for de la cruz I guess, though we can hope he gains his form back next year

On the latin comment dennis that's like saying all asian people can fix computers. We can all name lots of Latin prospects who were lazy or didnt do anything to make it I stand next year is the make or break year for Rivero, I really think hes a Peralta clone, Perlata never hit double digit HRs till he hit akron
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:00 pm

Time to add my rankings (only fair since others have posted their ideas for review). :s_drinks

1. Matt LaPorta
2. Nick Weglarz
3. Adam Miller
4. Carlos Santana
5. David Huff
6. Wes Hodges
7. Hector Rondon
8. Tony Sipp
9. Beau Mills
10. Kelvin De La Cruz
11. Jeff Stevens
12. John Meloan
13. Scott Lewis
14. Trevor Crowe
15. Michael Brantley
16. Josh Tomlin
17. Carlos Rivero
18. Jordan Brown
19. John Gaub
20. JD Martin

Rounding out my top 30 (in no order at this point) are: Josh Judy, Matt McBride, Abner Abreu, Lonnie Chisenhall, Rob Bryson, Marty Popham, Chris Gimenez, Frank Herrmann, Josh Rodriguez and Chuck Lofgren.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Duane Kuiper » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:13 am

1. Matt LaPorta
2. Carlos Santana
3. David Huff
4. Adam Miller
5. Tony Sipp
6. Hector Rondon
7. Trevor Crowe
8. Nick Weglarz