RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby indians1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:51 pm

Hey tony,

how much longer do you think jason kipnis stays in columbus? An incredibly consistent player since he joined the organization. The man is slugging over .500 and plays 2B. How do you keep a guy down. From what i have read, he is better suited and is more likely to stick at 2B than dustin ackley.

Kipnis, more than phelps, has been consistent at every level with amazing power for a 2B. I don't think the FO can ignore him much longer. I think it is time to call up kipnis and move phelps into the utility role.

By all accounts, kipnis is the better prospect by other scouts around baseball. Am i correct? I don't think we can dilly dally with this. Kipnis should not spend the better part of this year in AAA. He is already 24 years old and we need him to get meaningful AB's now so that he can be more prepared to help us down the stretch run and in the coming years.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:07 pm

Personally, I leave Kipnis in Columbus all year and why can be summed up in 2 words: Roster management.

Kipnis, Phelps and Chisenhall need to be playing almost everyday & there really isn't the available at-bats up here in the majors this year for ALL 3.

Entering 2011 - Phelps & Chisenhall were either on the 40 man roster or needed to be added to the roster after this season. Kipnis doesn't need to be added to the 40 man roster till after the 2012 season. That said, I would give Kipnis every opportunity to win the 2B job in spring training. If he wins it, he wins it and is added to the roster. If he doesn't win it, he goes back to AAA to start 2012 & comes up when he is needed (& then gets added to the roster).

Roster mgmt is very important for clubs with limited payrolls (like Cleveland).
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:30 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Personally, I leave Kipnis in Columbus all year and why can be summed up in 2 words: Roster management.

Kipnis, Phelps and Chisenhall need to be playing almost everyday & there really isn't the available at-bats up here in the majors this year for ALL 3.

Entering 2011 - Phelps & Chisenhall were either on the 40 man roster or needed to be added to the roster after this season. Kipnis doesn't need to be added to the 40 man roster till after the 2012 season. That said, I would give Kipnis every opportunity to win the 2B job in spring training. If he wins it, he wins it and is added to the roster. If he doesn't win it, he goes back to AAA to start 2012 & comes up when he is needed (& then gets added to the roster).

:good:
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:48 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Personally, I leave Kipnis in Columbus all year and why can be summed up in 2 words: Roster management.

I don't know about that necessarily. If the Tribe is still in it in a month or two and Kip is still swinging the bat like he is, you have to consider a promotion, especially if Phelps is only putting up a mid .650 OPS still. Yeah you could go Valby or Donald, but Kip is looking very locked in at the plate.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby criznit2009 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:54 pm

Hermie13 wrote:

I don't know about that necessarily. If the Tribe is still in it in a month or two and Kip is still swinging the bat like he is, you have to consider a promotion, especially if Phelps is only putting up a mid .650 OPS still. Yeah you could go Valby or Donald, but Kip is looking very locked in at the plate.

Agree with Hermie. Because he is already a lock to get a roster spot next year and very likely is next yrs starting 2B (unless Phelps does something about that..HUGE #'s..) it makes sense to call him up at some point this year if the tribe are still in it and he is swinging the hot bat. I say mid-July at the soonest and when the rosters expand the latest.. Huge window I know, but my point is Kipnis will join Cleveland at some point this season.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:54 am

Roster management and finishing Kipnis off defensively are the two (really only) reasons he will probably remain in Columbus for awhile if not for the rest of the year. Phelps needs to play everyday and get a longer look before they go to Kipnis. Can't have both on the roster at the same time since Phelps is not a ML option at SS and really not one at 3B. Almost strictly a 2B.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby indians1 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:27 am

i think in the offseason, you have to trade phelps for an area of need.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby daingean » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:09 am

indians1 wrote:i think in the offseason, you have to trade phelps for an area of need.

I keep Phelps until all the dust settles at 2B. Odds are 1 will succeed at the Major League level and one will settle into a utility role. If both succeed then yes we can trade 1 of them. I've seen too many hot shot AAA prospects not make at the ML level to be cautious about trading them.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby danh8 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:12 am

I've always felt that the organization will be looking at Phelps as a trade alternative, likely this offseason. The best thing in the right now, is to give this guy consistent at bats, and hopefully it translates into numbers that will appeal to future trade partners. With Valbuena, Donald, and Kipnis ...we have guys there that are more versatile and more likely to stick with us at the big league level longterm.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby OhioBaseball » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:50 am

Keith law had some very positive things to say about kipnis on baseball today. He said he's "probably more ready for the majors than chisenhall", a guy he has also been positive on since this spring.

Regarding dealing either phelps or kipnis, kipnis is the guy most highly regarded around baseball based on my interpretations. Kipnis may fetch a bigger prize as a result.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby entertheshoe » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:02 pm

So, Kipnis is 7-12 with 3 HR's, 5 RBI, and 6 runs in the 3 games since Chisenhall was called up. Angry much? He has struck out 4 times though, so at least there's something to work on down there.

I take back my thumbs up about Kipnis not being in Cleveland at all this year. If he keeps playing like this he may force our hand. I wouldn't be surprised if Cord Phelps or Orlando Cabrera get moved to free up space for him. He's 24 years old now and has nothing left to prove in the minors. I just don't think he'd be in Cleveland to not play every day. But, I do think he'll for sure be on the 40 man once the AAA season finishes up.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:56 pm

Kipnis did all that in front of Atkins and Antonetti the last three days.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:10 pm

entertheshoe wrote:..... But, I do think he'll for sure be on the 40 man once the AAA season finishes up.

Please clarify: Do you mean end of regular season or end of the overall season (including post-season)??

The Tribe has indicated in the past that they like the idea of their prospects getting the opportunity to play in the post-season. If Columbus is able to repeat the run of last year, the would be playing into late September. Would you still add Kipnis to the 40 man roster and call him up for maybe 12 days in the bigs?? Personally I wouldn't. I would invite Jason up to sit on the bench and practice with the big league club but still stick with the plan I typed up earlier.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TitoFrancona » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:25 pm

There's no way in hell I want to see Kipnis in Cleveland. Hell Acta won't give Phelps and Chiz consistent at bats, why would it be different for Kipnis?
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:51 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:
entertheshoe wrote:..... But, I do think he'll for sure be on the 40 man once the AAA season finishes up.

Please clarify: Do you mean end of regular season or end of the overall season (including post-season)??

The Tribe has indicated in the past that they like the idea of their prospects getting the opportunity to play in the post-season. If Columbus is able to repeat the run of last year, the would be playing into late September. Would you still add Kipnis to the 40 man roster and call him up for maybe 12 days in the bigs?? Personally I wouldn't. I would invite Jason up to sit on the bench and practice with the big league club but still stick with the plan I typed up earlier.

True, but if the Tribe is still in the playoff race, that could be as valuable (if not more) than a AAA playoff experience....something that Kipnis actually already has as he came up at the end of the Clippers run last year.

At the end of the day, if you think Kip can help you make the playoffs in September, you have to call him up IMO. So yes, I absolutely call Kip up even if there's only 12 days left in the season provided the Tribe has a legit shot at the playoffs. Hell, I'd call him up September 1st if we're still in it and he's hitting.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:36 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:There's no way in hell I want to see Kipnis in Cleveland. Hell Acta won't give Phelps and Chiz consistent at bats, why would it be different for Kipnis?

How do you figure Acta isn't giving Chiz consistent at-bats? He started his first two of three games and sat today because a lefty was on the mound and he struggles against lefties, so he got a day off.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby hoof32 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:31 pm

Matt McBride caught Huff's win tonight... does that surprise anyone else? :dunno:
hoof32
Draft Prospect

Postby entertheshoe » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:46 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
TitoFrancona wrote:There's no way in hell I want to see Kipnis in Cleveland. Hell Acta won't give Phelps and Chiz consistent at bats, why would it be different for Kipnis?

How do you figure Acta isn't giving Chiz consistent at-bats? He started his first two of three games and sat today because a lefty was on the mound and he struggles against lefties, so he got a day off.

That's 66 percent of the time!!!!!!!!!!!

And Madthinking88, Hermie said what I was about to say.

Edit: Yes it's sarcasm :s_cool
Last edited by entertheshoe on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:58 pm

entertheshoe wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

That's 66 percent of the time!!!!!!!!!!!

And Madthinking88, Hermie said what I was about to say.

I sure as hell hope this is sarcasm....
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:05 pm

hoof32 wrote:Matt McBride caught Huff's win tonight... does that surprise anyone else? :dunno:

Not me..... I will go out a limb and as I have alluded to in previous post - The Cleveland inidans are going to try to convert McBride back to a catcher, strictly for utility purposes, in the vein of a Gimenez.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:35 pm

The Clips did real well on the IL all star team. Jason Kipnis was named to the starting and Luis Valbuena reserve squads. Jeanmar Gomez and Zach McAlistair were both named to the pitchers. It is real good to see but I wonder if all these guys will still be here when the game happens on 7/13. Congratuations to them. :clapping:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:20 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:The Clips did real well on the IL all star team. Jason Kipnis was named to the starting and Luis Valbuena reserve squads. Jeanmar Gomez and Zach McAlistair were both named to the pitchers. It is real good to see but I wonder if all these guys will still be here when the game happens on 7/13. Congratuations to them. :clapping:

Could they pull some convoluted roster moves to send them down for the all-star break (same in both leagues) and call them up once the season restarts? I believe I've seen the same thing done in hockey, but AHL (AAA hockey) teams have unlimited roster size.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby criznit2009 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:29 pm

Anyone else think Huffmans ship has sailed? He just doesn't look like much of an option to me at this point. Good for depth but thats about it. Head is still a possibility as an internal RH bat. Seems to me he would work alright off the bench. The overall lack of quality OFers (bats) in the system is starting to look like it could be a major problem over the next couple of seasons.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:32 pm

criznit2009 wrote:Anyone else think Huffmans ship has sailed? He just doesn't look like much of an option to me at this point. Good for depth but thats about it. Head is still a possibility as an internal RH bat. Seems to me he would work alright off the bench. The overall lack of quality OFers (bats) in the system is starting to look like it could be a major problem over the next couple of seasons.

Yeah, Huffman's time I think has come and gone. Looks really out of shape too.

I think, based off Atkins' comments today in Happenings, that Head is getting serious consideration for a callup. He never goes out and says "this guy will play in the Major Leagues" unless something is close to happening. Says something like that almost everytime just before a guy is called up.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Edible14 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:18 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
criznit2009 wrote:Anyone else think Huffmans ship has sailed? He just doesn't look like much of an option to me at this point. Good for depth but thats about it. Head is still a possibility as an internal RH bat. Seems to me he would work alright off the bench. The overall lack of quality OFers (bats) in the system is starting to look like it could be a major problem over the next couple of seasons.

I think, based off Atkins' comments today in Happenings, that Head is getting serious consideration for a callup. He never goes out and says "this guy will play in the Major Leagues" unless something is close to happening. Says something like that almost everytime just before a guy is called up.

I think now might be a good time for Head, despite his recent struggles, if Buck is actually hurt. He gets a quick cup of coffee, and they can realistically put Choo on the 60 for the time being. If he sucks, DFA him no questions asked, if he's good... maybe he's an improvement over Kearns?

So, decision day on Nick Johnson... no dice for him?
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby danh8 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:32 am

Edible14 wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:

I think now might be a good time for Head, despite his recent struggles, if Buck is actually hurt. He gets a quick cup of coffee, and they can realistically put Choo on the 60 for the time being. If he sucks, DFA him no questions asked, if he's good... maybe he's an improvement over Kearns?

So, decision day on Nick Johnson... no dice for him?

Wondering if Johnson decided to stick it out with us ofr the time being without going to ML roster. He's been experiencing weakness/soreness in his surgically repaired wrist of late and has had to rest it, so I'm thinking he sees that he's not ready, but also sees a chance with us to eventually make it here, and be part of a playoff run as well. No need to push the issue, I'm guessing. He might be in the best place for this season.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:11 am

danh8 wrote:Wondering if Johnson decided to stick it out with us ofr the time being without going to ML roster. He's been experiencing weakness/soreness in his surgically repaired wrist of late and has had to rest it, so I'm thinking he sees that he's not ready, but also sees a chance with us to eventually make it here, and be part of a playoff run as well. No need to push the issue, I'm guessing. He might be in the best place for this season.

Yeah, the injury setback that occurred last Saturday when he slid into third and injurred the wrist again where it flared up on him, that changed things if you ask me. Except for 2 Abs on Monday he has been out of the lineup since and been resting the wrist, so it appears he will now stick around a little while longer. How long that may be now is anyones guess.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:08 pm

Edible14 wrote:I think now might be a good time for Head, despite his recent struggles, if Buck is actually hurt. He gets a quick cup of coffee, and they can realistically put Choo on the 60 for the time being. If he sucks, DFA him no questions asked, if he's good... maybe he's an improvement over Kearns?

This has been my line of thinking for a while. He's a guy that if you add to the 40 and he bombs, you don't feel like you are going to risk losing anything by DFAing him not long after. As said, can he really be worse than Kearns (offensively)? Head has even learned to at least take a walk every once in a while.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:14 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Head has even learned to at least take a walk every once in a while.

Not sure I agree with that Herm. It's the one thing the org has kept challenging him on the past few years and this year, and the walk rate hasn't improved. Not even this year, as it is about the same rate as previous years. K-rate also hasn't changed.

I agree that at this point you take a look and then go from there, from their perspective I think they are not convinced he will be able to hit at the big league level right now to make a difference and he is a clear step down defensively from Kearns or any outfielder.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:33 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:Head has even learned to at least take a walk every once in a while.

Not sure I agree with that Herm. It's the one thing the org has kept challenging him on the past few years and this year, and the walk rate hasn't improved. Not even this year, as it is about the same rate as previous years. K-rate also hasn't changed.

I agree that at this point you take a look and then go from there, from their perspective I think they are not convinced he will be able to hit at the big league level right now to make a difference and he is a clear step down defensively from Kearns or any outfielder.

Was referring to where he was this year. the guy had 1 walk in April.....17 since. Walk rate still isn't good (from May 1 on), but definitely a big improvement on where he was earlier in the year when people were talking about possibly calling him up. Admit, 'learned' was probably a bad word choice.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:28 am

Some thoughts on yesterday's game. Along with several of the Akron starters, Kluber looks like a RP to me. He looks like a different pitcher the third time thru the lineup. It looks to me like he isn't losing his stuff so much as the opponents just hit him. He might pick up some heat on the fastball in a relief role because he is not nearly as bad as his stats indicate.

The Indians need to find a place for Valbuena. He is really ready for another shot at the show. Because of his versatility and ML experience, I think it is even more important to give him a shot than Kipnis right now. Probably even more important than keeping Phelps as OCab's backup which appears to be 1-2 times weekly playing time. IMO, he can handle playing SS and 3B in a pinch better than Phelps or Kipnis. While Kipnis is a better OF, I am sure the Indians are loathe to take time from his defensive development at 2B when he is close to being ML ready. Overall, I think the Indians would benefit from his presence in the lineup 3-4 times a week.

Looked at some tape of Nick Johnson from before he went down and i think it unlikely he can provide any significant value to the Indians this year. He isn't even close IMO.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:41 pm

Nice game by Gomez who only made one mistake in his 8 IP. Sure does not look like he is the one who will be called up to pitch in Carmona's slot on Thursday unless they come back with Talbot on short rest after his 4 IP today. Then Gomez would have full rest but that does not appear too likely.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby entertheshoe » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:15 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:Nice game by Gomez who only made one mistake in his 8 IP. Sure does not look like he is the one who will be called up to pitch in Carmona's slot on Thursday unless they come back with Talbot on short rest after his 4 IP today. Then Gomez would have full rest but that does not appear too likely.

Can't overlook who he did that against either. That Reds AAA team probably has the best 1-6 lineup in AAA. Obviously that's not even the worst 1-6 in MLB but Alonso and Mesoraco especially are probably the best 1-2 punch (prospect wise) on any minor league team.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:15 pm

How about the spot start from Germano tonight?

So far 5 perfect innings with 7Ks in only 56 pitches!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:15 pm

Maybe it means nothing but I find it interesting.....Carrera has started in RF each of the last 3 games (first games as an Indian in RF).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:06 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Maybe it means nothing but I find it interesting.....Carrera has started in RF each of the last 3 games (first games as an Indian in RF).

I hope it means something. Im not even convinced Brantley is a better option but would settle for him seeing the field as a RF.
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:52 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:Maybe it means nothing but I find it interesting.....Carrera has started in RF each of the last 3 games (first games as an Indian in RF).

I hope it means something. Im not even convinced Brantley is a better option but would settle for him seeing the field as a RF.

Just hazarding a guess but I think the Indians might want some flexibility off the bench. While i expect Wegs to move to Columbus soon, he is unlikely to spend much time in RF. He and Zeke are probably the only arms that could cut it. I doubt Brantley could do it and we can be sure Grady cannot when we are talking about current Indians.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby entertheshoe » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:08 am

indianinkslinger wrote:
Lloyd Christmas wrote:

Just hazarding a guess but I think the Indians might want some flexibility off the bench. While i expect Wegs to move to Columbus soon, he is unlikely to spend much time in RF. He and Zeke are probably the only arms that could cut it. I doubt Brantley could do it and we can be sure Grady cannot when we are talking about current Indians.

Would be nice if we could just get some of the stuff that Albert Pujols was taking which allowed him to turn 6 weeks into 15 days and give that to Choo. :s_thumbsup
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:40 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:Nice game by Gomez who only made one mistake in his 8 IP. [Sb]ure does not look like he is the one who will be called up to pitch in Carmona's slot on Thursday[/b] unless they come back with Talbot on short rest after his 4 IP today. Then Gomez would have full rest but that does not appear too likely.

Acta announced that he's changing the rotation order....so Thursday isn't going to be Carmona's turn in the rotation. Nothing official yet, but sounds like Carmona will be moved to the 5th spot on the 18th (when he's eligible to come off the DL); therefore, there may not be a need for anyone other than a guy to pitch the 2nd game of the double-header. Which would actually put Gomez on track to pitch if it weren't for the IL All-Star break. The 18th is the Clippers 5th game after the break...so could set it up so that gomez would pitch that day then call him up to pitch in Cleveland. Would be a big break for him. Or could set it up so he pitches the 14th, but only a few innings. Lots of options for sure.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:12 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:Nice game by Gomez who only made one mistake in his 8 IP. [Sb]ure does not look like he is the one who will be called up to pitch in Carmona's slot on Thursday[/b] unless they come back with Talbot on short rest after his 4 IP today. Then Gomez would have full rest but that does not appear too likely.

Acta announced that he's changing the rotation order....so Thursday isn't going to be Carmona's turn in the rotation. Nothing official yet, but sounds like Carmona will be moved to the 5th spot on the 18th (when he's eligible to come off the DL); therefore, there may not be a need for anyone other than a guy to pitch the 2nd game of the double-header. Which would actually put Gomez on track to pitch if it weren't for the IL All-Star break. The 18th is the Clippers 5th game after the break...so could set it up so that gomez would pitch that day then call him up to pitch in Cleveland. Would be a big break for him. Or could set it up so he pitches the 14th, but only a few innings. Lots of options for sure.

I thought about that too. Still concerned Carmona won't be ready. If he is, we might see the transition to Gomez from Talbot. Pretty sure that he or McAllister will replace Talbot after the break but you cannot be sure of the health issues. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby artgold » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:53 am

Any insights concerning Barnes knee injury?
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:07 am

artgold wrote:Any insights concerning Barnes knee injury?
It doesn't look good.. POP goes the ligament. No actual diagnosis, but "hearing a pop".. is never a good thing...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby allhailshapiro » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:17 pm

If it is the ACL, then he probably faces the same prognosis as any football player- 7-9 months timeline. Not an injury you want to have, but as a pitcher it could have been worse, it could have been the arm. Now, if he tore more than one ligament it may be worse, but until more info comes out this is my ballpark estimation of what happened.
allhailshapiro
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:26 pm

Just a reminder, AAA All-Star game is on MLB Network tomorrow at 9pm Eastern. Zach McAllister gets the start for the IL, and Kipnis will be leading off the game (again).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Edible14 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:48 pm

With Gomez being called up for Talbot's injury and Barnes "likely done for the season" (Per Tony's twitter), now we wonder who fills in at CBus.

I assume Joe Martinez will take one of the spots. Don't know who is really ready for a promotion at Akron (McFarland? Packer?) This would be a perfect opportunity for Reyes if he wasn't hurt again, or for Rondon if he was ready.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:49 pm

Edible14 wrote:With Gomez being called up for Talbot's injury and Barnes "likely done for the season" (Per Tony's twitter), now we wonder who fills in at CBus.

I assume Joe Martinez will take one of the spots. Don't know who is really ready for a promotion at Akron (McFarland? Packer?) This would be a perfect opportunity for Reyes if he wasn't hurt again, or for Rondon if he was ready.

I wondered the same thing. I think it is either a promotion for Espino who probably will not be needed at Akron with the addition of Pomeranz or Germano. Neither of these guys is serious ML material but I think they will do that rather than someone off the street. Unlike Tony, I do not think Talbot will get thru DFA to Columbus with the pitching market the way it is. He should be rehabbing in a few weeks so I would guess they go short term. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:09 am

Pretty sure Espino will be promoted to Columbus for Barnes. Whether Espino goes into the rotation or bullpen is unknown. But probably two of Espino, Germano, and Martinez will be inserted into the rotation. Hell, all three in the short term since Barnes is out inurred, Gomez is called up, and McAllister will miss his start this week. Will also see a reliever promoted from Akron, my guess is we could see Adam Miller on the move.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:57 am

TonyIPI wrote:Pretty sure Espino will be promoted to Columbus for Barnes. Whether Espino goes into the rotation or bullpen is unknown. But probably two of Espino, Germano, and Martinez will be inserted into the rotation. Hell, all three in the short term since Barnes is out inurred, Gomez is called up, and McAllister will miss his start this week. Will also see a reliever promoted from Akron, my guess is we could see Adam Miller on the move.

That makes sense to me Tony. I had forgotten about Miller. Even though I do not consider him to be the best RP prospect in Akron, he is the best use of the promotion IMO. I do think more is going on. This all seems to be too well orchestrated to be happenstance. Gomez move is clearly planned whatever happens and the Carrera move does not make a lot of sense to me when the Indians coud have another RP or RH IF bat on the active roster. Maybe my mind is imagining that random events seem to be contrived but it is. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby BrianM » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:11 am

From Callis' BA chat this week:

Mike (CLE): Jason Kipnis sure had an impressive at-bat against Teheran in the futures game. Do you see any star projection there with the bat?

Jim Callis: Yes. If he can be an average defensive second baseman, his bat will make him an all-star.

RickSampson (Cleveland): If you are the Indians, do you call up Kipnis? Thoughts on his bat, enough to hit 15-20hrs, .290avg?

Jim Callis: Yes and yes.

Kipnis #31 on BA midseason prospect list, BTW.

Link to chat http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/pr ... 12103.html
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby OhioBaseball » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:59 pm

That's a tough blow regarding the barnes injury. I've never tore my acl, but I have friends that have (one very recently). Everyone tells me that its very painful. Judging by barnes' reaction, he was in a lot of pain and it wouldn't surprise me if that is what it is. It sucks, but it's not an arm injury and you can actually walk around quite fine not too long after surgery. Hope the rehab goes well.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk