RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:04 pm

bmonnig wrote:Edit: I now see that Joe Martinez is scheduled to start Tuesday for Columbus but I don't understand it. Barnes has over 30 starts in AA and seems to be pitching well. I'd rather see them be aggressive in this case instead of running someone like Martinez out there.

Yeah Barnes really needs to see some AAA action. Obviously there's a logjam so understand him going back to AA. Only thing that makes sense to me in keeping him in AA is that they don't want to call him up to just send him back down in 3-4 weeks when Talbot is back/gomez back at AAA. Still, I'm a big Barnes supporter and want to see him challenged here.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:55 pm

Agreed that Barnes is about ready for a call to AAA. What hurts him here is that Martinez was a 6th starter in waiting in Columbus. Once someone in Columbus gets hurt or is promoted for a hurt starter in Cleveland, then I expect Barnes to move up. Just a very deep system in the upper levels with starting pitchers, relievers, and outfielders....and the whole infield at AAA.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:10 am

Yohan Pino traded to the Blue Jays. Paolo Espino as expected active in Akron.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby GhostofTedCox » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:52 am

TonyIPI wrote:Yohan Pino traded to the Blue Jays. Paolo Espino as expected active in Akron.

While Pino was just organizational depth in Cleveland, (#96 in the book), he could advance much quicker in the thinner Blue Jays system.
Still, I hate just to sell players.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:18 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:Yohan Pino traded to the Blue Jays. Paolo Espino as expected active in Akron.

While Pino was just organizational depth in Cleveland, (#96 in the book), he could advance much quicker in the thinner Blue Jays system.

Yeah, just a byproduct of a very deep system. I mean, holy crap, 2-3 years agao Pino would be one of the top 2-3 starters at Triple-A and option B, C, or D for the big league team for a starter.

Kudos to the Grant drafts and some good trades the past few years.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Edible14 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:03 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:

Good for him, then. There's a lot of guys like that in our system right now. Jerad Head, McBride, Drennen, Barnes, CC Lee, Berger, Espino... all guys that would probably be starters in AAA for most other systems that are either on the bench, in AA or in the bullpen here.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:33 pm

How many players we have to trade/sell to the Blue Jays before we get our fruit basket?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:40 pm

Hermie13 wrote:

How many players we have to trade/sell to the Blue Jays before we get our fruit basket?

2 more
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:46 pm

9K's to 1BB for DLC tonight..... 21Ks in his 15IP so far this year.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:06 pm

DLC (9), Hagadone (4) and Burns (2) combine for 15Ks tonight in the Aero's 4-3 win.

Burns actually recorded two outs that weren't K's!!!! Stop the presses!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Edible14 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:50 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:9K's to 1BB for DLC tonight..... 21Ks in his 15IP so far this year.

That's really quite encouraging. I figure he has to be the next guy up to AAA, though it's hard to say where you make room for him without an injury occurring. Huff seems to be the most likely release/trade candidate, but I think the Indians will keep him around until they think McAllister or Kluber is ready to be major league depth and/or they need to add someone to the 40.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:14 am

Edible14 wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:9K's to 1BB for DLC tonight..... 21Ks in his 15IP so far this year.

That's really quite encouraging. I figure he has to be the next guy up to AAA, though it's hard to say where you make room for him without an injury occurring. Huff seems to be the most likely release/trade candidate, but I think the Indians will keep him around until they think McAllister or Kluber is ready to be major league depth and/or they need to add someone to the 40.

Nice to see from De La tonight, and Hagadone as well. Both throwing stikes!

De La has more seasoning left in AA, so Barnes will be the first to go. I am expecting him to get the start for the Clippers tomorrow (Tuesday).
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:24 am

Hermie13 wrote:

On a serious note:

a) Is this serious money (4+ figures) for these type of guys or are these token amounts (i.e. $1 CDN)

b) In deals involving the Jays, is the buyer or seller usually in a better position to dictate the currency to be used (so as to take best advantage of current exchange rates and exchange rate trends)?

c) Do the Tribe get cash cash (to spend as they see fit - draft bonuses, office redecoration, profits, etc.) or is this a matter of the Jays fronting money for the Tribe's hotels and bus to/from the ballpark/airport when they visit Toronto?
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby ironmike » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:40 am

Tony, just a sugggestion ... consider including the box score link for each minor league team in your daily postings so we don't have to leave the forum. Sticky content.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby Edible14 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:11 am

TonyIPI wrote:De La has more seasoning left in AA, so Barnes will be the first to go. I am expecting him to get the start for the Clippers tomorrow (Tuesday).

I meant after Barnes, as that's pretty much a done deal, right?
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:44 pm

Yes, Barnes officially to Columbus. I'd think De La has a good shot to be the next one promoted, and very likely he pitches in COlumbus this year.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:36 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Yes, Barnes officially to Columbus. I'd think De La has a good shot to be the next one promoted, and very likely he pitches in COlumbus this year.

Is De La, got a chance for September call up, this is what his second year on the 40 correct
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:03 pm

jellis wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:Yes, Barnes officially to Columbus. I'd think De La has a good shot to be the next one promoted, and very likely he pitches in COlumbus this year.

Is De La, got a chance for September call up, this is what his second year on the 40 correct

As far as the Akron LHP goes, I would think Barnes and Hagadone might be in earlier than De La, if for no other reason than De La has an extra option, doesn't he jellis? :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:40 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:
jellis wrote:

As far as the Akron LHP goes, I would think Barnes and Hagadone might be in earlier than De La, if for no other reason than De La has an extra option, doesn't he jellis?

hmm...does he? According to Tony's list, DLC only has 2 options left (before this year)....meanwhile Hagadone has all 3 and Barnes does too obviously since he's not on the 40-man nor ever was. As far as the extra option....he's not listed as a candidate for a 4th option on the list, but maybe that was an oversight? thought since he opted not for surgery and just rest/rehab that he didn't qualify but maybe not.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:45 pm

Great debut for Brett Brach...... had a no-hitter through 4 and finished with 6IP, 2H, 0R, 1BB, 4K
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:51 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Great debut for Brett Brach...... had a no-hitter through 4 and finished with 6IP, 2H, 0R, 1BB, 4K

Nice to see players doing everything they can to take advantage of the opportunities that present themselves.
Good job Brett.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:53 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:
jellis wrote:

As far as the Akron LHP goes, I would think Barnes and Hagadone might be in earlier than De La, if for no other reason than De La has an extra option, doesn't he jellis?

hmm...does he? According to Tony's list, DLC only has 2 options left (before this year)....meanwhile Hagadone has all 3 and Barnes does too obviously since he's not on the 40-man nor ever was. As far as the extra option....he's not listed as a candidate for a 4th option on the list, but maybe that was an oversight? thought since he opted not for surgery and just rest/rehab that he didn't qualify but maybe not.

I have never understood this option stuff fully. I thought he was eligible because he missed nearly an entire year at A ball just like Rondon at AAA. Not sure that would change my opinion of the order but it might if I thought long enough about it. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby danh8 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:18 am

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Great debut for Brett Brach...... had a no-hitter through 4 and finished with 6IP, 2H, 0R, 1BB, 4K

Brach has always been a steady and consistent performer as he's worked his way up trough the system with little fanfare... but, I kind of have been watching him and, in my mind, has progressed and achieved much along the same line that Josh Tomlin did as he moved up through just consistently improving upon a smart mix of average velocity pitches that just are commanded well, and steadily improve from year to year.

He's young for the levlels he pitches, and continues out perfrom his pedigree...
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:50 am

jellis wrote:Is De La, got a chance for September call up, this is what his second year on the 40 correct

Unless he can help the big league team in September, he won't be called up. As we have seen in the past with Rondon/Santana in 2009, the Indians won't just call guys up just to call them up in September. I personally doubt he sees time in Cleveland this year unless the unthinkable happens and we are devastated with injuries.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:52 am

Hermie13 wrote:hmm...does he? According to Tony's list, DLC only has 2 options left (before this year)....meanwhile Hagadone has all 3 and Barnes does too obviously since he's not on the 40-man nor ever was. As far as the extra option....he's not listed as a candidate for a 4th option on the list, but maybe that was an oversight? thought since he opted not for surgery and just rest/rehab that he didn't qualify but maybe not.

He won't get a 4th option. He was put on the 40-man AFTER the 2009 season. Had he been on the 40-man prior to missing so much time that year, then yes he would get one.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:54 am

MadThinker88 wrote:

Nice to see players doing everything they can to take advantage of the opportunities that present themselves.
Good job Brett.

Yes, nice spot start for Brach. That performance will surely keep the Tribe thinking about him for possible inclusion in Akron later in the year. For now though it is back to Kinston for him and T.J. McFarland likely to get the permanent spot. Possibly tomorrow.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Edible14 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:26 am

TonyIPI wrote:
jellis wrote:Is De La, got a chance for September call up, this is what his second year on the 40 correct

Unless he can help the big league team in September, he won't be called up. As we have seen in the past with Rondon/Santana in 2009, the Indians won't just call guys up just to call them up in September. I personally doubt he sees time in Cleveland this year unless the unthinkable happens and we are devastated with injuries.

I think, given what I've observed over the last few years, that the org will almost never call up a "priority" prospect in September, as they don't want to start the service clock on most of those guys. Only exception I can think of is Carrasco. I think the hope for DLC is that he gets up to CBus at some point this year and is ready by mid-season 2012. Hopefully once he's called up, he stays up.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby bmonnig » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:48 am

TonyIPI wrote:
MadThinker88 wrote:

Good job Brett.

Yes, nice spot start for Brach. That performance will surely keep the Tribe thinking about him for possible inclusion in Akron later in the year. For now though it is back to Kinston for him and T.J. McFarland likely to get the permanent spot. Possibly tomorrow.

I noticed Popham is scheduled to start for Kinston today. Did McFarland get the well deserved call to Akron?
bmonnig
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:47 pm

Yes, the McFarland move was made official earlier today.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby soulax5 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:23 am

Where has Jordan Henry been the last couple days?
soulax5
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:45 pm

First walk of the year for Hagadone tonight..... still, two scoreless allowing only 1 hit and striking out 4 so far.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby martyinnewyork » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:58 pm

Sweep tonight for the affiliates!
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby OhioBaseball » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:06 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:First walk of the year for Hagadone tonight..... still, two scoreless allowing only 1 hit and striking out 4 so far.

It's kind of strange that this is almost a side note on this message board. Nick Hagadone is every bit as physically talented as White, Pomeranz, Knapp -- you could argue he's even more talented than those 3. I admit myself that I began to write him off after last year.

The question with Hagadone has never been; is his arm good enough? I've banged on him in the past b/c I thought his delivery was too complicated and difficult to repeat which led to command problems. If Hagadone's 14:1 K:BB ratio in 11 innings is any indication, he may be figuring things out which is very encouraging, at least to me. These things can come fast with pitchers, particularly relief guys. Do we need to be reminded that Hagadone is still an impact arm?!?
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:11 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:First walk of the year for Hagadone tonight..... still, two scoreless allowing only 1 hit and striking out 4 so far.

It's kind of strange that this is almost a side note on this message board. Nick Hagadone is every bit as physically talented as White, Pomeranz, Knapp -- you could argue he's even more talented than those 3. I admit myself that I began to write him off after last year.

The question with Hagadone has never been; is his arm good enough? I've banged on him in the past b/c I thought his delivery was too complicated and difficult to repeat which led to command problems. If Hagadone's 14:1 K:BB ratio in 11 innings is any indication, he may be figuring things out which is very encouraging, at least to me. These things can come fast with pitchers, particularly relief guys. Do we need to be reminded that Hagadone is still an impact arm?!?

Hagadone, to me is the best top shelf ability we have seen in system since Miller. I am just not sure he could be a starter, part of his success is he is back to a 2 pitch pitcher
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby petes999 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:00 pm

Saw De La Cruz pitch today ... seemed like he wasn't on his A game as he got hit a bit hard today - a few to the warning track. Yet, I missed what Tremie was arguing about when he got ejected (must have been Cruz's strike zone). The ump told him to back off and he kept arguing something after a ball call.

Also, if Webb didn't misplay a ball when he dove when he had no chance at it, they would have limited the damage to 1 run instead of a base loaded triple. At least his line would have looked better 6 innings, 6 hits, 2 balls and 6 ks.

Yet, Ramirez dominated for Phillies. You heard the mit pop. He sat around 93 and hitting 95/96 at times in the 4th inning plus. While De La Cruz sat around 91/92. Seems like Ramirez as the 3rd player in the Lee trade will work out well for them. Hopefully Knapp can do the same when he comes back.

The defense for Akron wasn't there. Sanchez muffed an easy double play and couldn't get anyone. And. Mc Bride missed played a short-hop in the first game ... would have expected a bit more from an ex-catcher on smothering balls to get that out.
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:46 pm

This is the weakest Aero team, excluding pitching, that I can recall. Just a prospect catcher and some single hitting OFs. Combined with an even worse team in Kinston, I don't think the ML club can expect any help for two years after the remnants at Columbus get their shot. There is some hope for the pitching but most of that looks like depth rather than FOR or even MOR. If our prospects at Columbus crash, nothing from this team is going to give any real help.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Edible14 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:40 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:This is the weakest Aero team, excluding pitching, that I can recall. Just a prospect catcher and some single hitting OFs. Combined with an even worse team in Kinston, I don't think the ML club can expect any help for two years after the remnants at Columbus get their shot. There is some hope for the pitching but most of that looks like depth rather than FOR or even MOR. If our prospects at Columbus crash, nothing from this team is going to give any real help.

Potentially, and Wolters/Washington being hurt doesn't help. However, if the Indians really need a player at a certain position, I think they should be able to trade some of their arms to get what they need.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:28 am

Edible14 wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:This is the weakest Aero team, excluding pitching, that I can recall. Just a prospect catcher and some single hitting OFs. Combined with an even worse team in Kinston, I don't think the ML club can expect any help for two years after the remnants at Columbus get their shot. There is some hope for the pitching but most of that looks like depth rather than FOR or even MOR. If our prospects at Columbus crash, nothing from this team is going to give any real help.

Potentially, and Wolters/Washington being hurt doesn't help. However, if the Indians really need a player at a certain position, I think they should be able to trade some of their arms to get what they need.

Even if Wolters/Washington prove to be the real deal, I am not convinced they will help in less than three years. In two years, the serious turnover starts again when Sizemore and Hafner leave with Choo and Cabrera the year after. While it looks like we have arms, none are probable to bring that type of return and still keep our pitching even close to competitive for winning the division. Cleveland's payroll is way too high for its attendance revenues now and only the real optimists predict any greater attendance revenues in the immediate future. Our current crop of position prospects in Columbus and recent prospects from promotion to Cleveland are going to have to carry this team for a while. IMO, there are not a lot of realistic options. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:20 am

There's a gap in talent.... It's not the tribe lacks talented position players but when many are in A ball or rookie level it's a big gap in pushing the AAA and in rookie ball. I believe they can fill the gap, by adding position players through trades for example trading a guy like Joe Smith for a pair AA prospects come the trade deadline. Let's face it we know with the current attendance they can't keep that payroll. If they continue to contend let's pray and hope they can and that the attendance picks up in support of the Tribe.

The tribe does have hope for the future just by the sheer volume of pitching prospects this team has. A number of these guys would be top prospects in other org. And with guys like Ronnie Rodriguez, Luigi Rodriguez, Jesus Aguliar, Alex Lavisky, Tony Wolters, and Levon Washington deep into the system it could be 2-3 yrs easily before these guys are knocking on the door of AA or AAA.

The reality is with the depth of pitching this team has it will have an opportunity to fill org. needs and with the Possible development of some of these arms whose to say a guy like Clayton Cook for example, doesn't become a front of the rotation starter. A lot can happen in a yr. For some of these guys all it takes is learning to move their fastball around change speeds or grips slightly and they just explode. The tribe has a ton of depth, the real problem is sorting through the cast of characters to find the real prospects. I don't think there is a lack of talent but rather a gap in what's ready and what will be ready.

The truth in all this is when guys like Sizemore, Choo, Carmona, Raffy Perez, A. Cabrera are ready to they can be shipped off for major league ready prospects at positions of need. Let's face it at some point we will have to see these guys in other uniforms, let's hope most of them end up in the NL.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Edible14 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:36 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:Cleveland's payroll is way too high for its attendance revenues now and only the real optimists predict any greater attendance revenues in the immediate future. Our current crop of position prospects in Columbus and recent prospects from promotion to Cleveland are going to have to carry this team for a while. IMO, there are not a lot of realistic options. :pleasantry:

While I understand attendance concerns, $48M for the team shouldn't be "too high" for any MLB team. If they really can't afford that, then it's time to start talking relocation. I'm all for small market tricks, but you really can't expect to have a competitive team for less than $40M, even with the best drafting/trading/small market mindset possible.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:19 pm

Things gave changed In baseball I think we all know that, but for teams like the Tribe hitting the international mkt and drafting for talent is the only reasonable way for the Tribe to contend. If the next cba changes the draft setup (locked in pay scale) teams like the Indians will probably have to trade their top pks for already developed talent. As for now the only way to keep the team competitive is to keep the budget down and trade away potential big time free agents. Few if any of the superstar players like Choo stick around. I think we could see the payroll jump in the next few yrs but guys like Choo who will get huge money when he hits free agency will leave or be traded. Guys like ACabrera on the other who command less money could potentially be resigned.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:28 pm

Edible14 wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:Cleveland's payroll is way too high for its attendance revenues now and only the real optimists predict any greater attendance revenues in the immediate future. Our current crop of position prospects in Columbus and recent prospects from promotion to Cleveland are going to have to carry this team for a while. IMO, there are not a lot of realistic options. :pleasantry:

While I understand attendance concerns, $48M for the team shouldn't be "too high" for any MLB team. If they really can't afford that, then it's time to start talking relocation. I'm all for small market tricks, but you really can't expect to have a competitive team for less than $40M, even with the best drafting/trading/small market mindset possible.

I agree that $48M "shouldn't" be too high but it is for the team with the lowest revenues in baseball. It has occurred to me that the Indians might have fewer than 1M fans buy tickets to games at ticket prices 20% or more lower than the rest of the teams. The entire state is in a downward economic and population spiral and Northern Ohio is no longer Cleveland but a declining widespread volume of people who have little interest in the Indians unless they can compete and spend with the Yankees and Red Sox. I expect there will be significant declines in Cleveland's other professional teams as well. This decline of taxes from sports revenues will be difficult for Northern Ohio citizens. Dolan seems absolutely committed to keeping the Indians in Cleveland but, as an owner, he is probably alone in that regard. No matter what Art tells us of fans from Akron and Hermie gives us as traffic reports, the numbers tell a different story. It is not the post WWII Cleveland any longer. :sad:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby artgold » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:01 pm

Inky, your understanding of economics and demographics needs to be more than a Google search of your preselected terms.

The Cleveland/Akron area has a gross personal income of about $109 billion, and per capita of $38,800. This isn't out of sync with many other major league markets drawing in the 2 million range, such as Cincinnati ($83 billion/$38,200), Milwaukee ($65 billion/$41,700), St Louis ($114 billion/$40,300) and Denver ($117 billion/$45,900).

Regarding Akron to the stadium, I stated that a compelling team should be able to draw 5,000 from the metro Akron area. Since downtown Akron itself is a bit less than 40 miles to the Stadium, and most of the Akron metro population is to the north of the city, this isn't an outlandish claim at all. In your city, San Diego, Escondido, San Marcos and Carlsbad would be similar commutes, and they are within the San Diego metro area.

Don't bring up the issue about me going to games in Oakland again, I'll jump in front of that dopey comment by pointing out I'm 104 miles away from their stadium, which is a bit further than driving from the metro Akron area to see the Tribe. If you think 104 miles is equivalent to 35-40 miles, I don't think anything would change your mind.

You can twist my words and spin my postings any way you want, you've demonstrated a repeated history of doing so, but those are the facts.

Back to Akron and their performance, I think the Tribe is making a mistake in not allowing Espino to start. I don't think he is a relief pitcher at all, but would surprise as a starter. Hopefully he'll get the chance soon.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:15 pm

Espino is a victim of the depth within the system. I like him myself but his upside is limited...minor league starter, possible middle reliever at the big league level but he may never get that chance here.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby artgold » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:13 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Espino is a victim of the depth within the system. I like him myself but his upside is limited...minor league starter, possible middle reliever at the big league level but he may never get that chance here.

Identical to the comments I read about Tomlin the past couple of years. If the talent is there to be a major league starting pitcher, the player should get the opportunity to display it eventually.

Look at Espino's performance last year, especially how he improves game to game as he adjust to each level. In my opinion this is an underappreciated skill.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:04 pm

I don't think Espino is a major league starter, possibly a long man from the pen but probably not here bc of the depth of pitching this system has.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Edible14 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:25 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I don't think Espino is a major league starter, possibly a long man from the pen but probably not here bc of the depth of pitching this system has.

I wonder if the injury to Carrasco might get Espino back in the rotation, or if they will just give the starts to Joe Martinez.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:09 pm

I'd guess Martinez, I'd rather see prospects than AAAA pitchers though, unless it were somebody trying to work back from injury.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby bmonnig » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:17 am

Hagadone now with 18K's to 1BB and no runs allowed thru 13.2IP. How long until we see him in Columbus/Cleveland if he keeps this up?
bmonnig
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:51 am

artgold wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:Espino is a victim of the depth within the system. I like him myself but his upside is limited...minor league starter, possible middle reliever at the big league level but he may never get that chance here.

Identical to the comments I read about Tomlin the past couple of years. If the talent is there to be a major league starting pitcher, the player should get the opportunity to display it eventually.

Look at Espino's performance last year, especially how he improves game to game as he adjust to each level. In my opinion this is an underappreciated skill.

The difference though Art is Tomlin was a priority reliever/pitcher for the Indians in the minors. A lot of that had to do with the lack of arms at AAA on down. Now that they have so many arms in the system, a lot of guys who 2-3 years ago would have been a priority starter/reliever (like Espino would have been) are now just organizational filler and no longer getting any priority. Espino has extremely long odds to do anything with the Indians....his best shot is a trade to another team which may happen. The Indians often find teams for players like that with trades to help them out.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk